trying to decide

teacher2cruiser

If this is your first time to Grand Cayman and you are into snorkeling, I would definately recommend at boat excursion that goes to Coral Gardens, Barrier Reef and Sting Ray City.

If your not that much into snorkeling, try the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion with Nativeway.

If you don't like snorkeling at all, I would suggest a 1/2 or full day Island Tour or if you like some snorkeling and want to see some of the Island, I beleive there are tours for that also.

Grand Cayman is a very nice, safe Island with lots of things to see and do. We've been to several Islands and the snorkeling can't be beat anywhere (IOHO). I would hate to miss such a great opportunity just sitting on a beach all day.

...for your first time there don't just sit on the beach-go do something !

Book a private tour vs. ship tour...less crowded/better value. Read the boards and you'll see tour operators with good reviews. Do the sting ray dive (just don't let them bite your finger off like they did to me:eek: )....just kidding:D you'll love it.

...for your first time there don't just sit on the beach-go do something !

Book a private tour vs. ship tour...less crowded/better value. Read the boards and you'll see tour operators with good reviews. Do the sting ray dive (just don't let them bite your finger off like they did to me:eek: )....just kidding:D you'll love it.

Our first time in Grand Caymen, we booked a private tour on a catamaran that took us to snorkel with the stingrays. None of us really snorkeled but we did put on the equipment and look under the water. THen, we spent another 2 hours on the beautiful catamaran sailing around. It was alot of fun.

The next time, we did the Hell, Turtle Farm tour. We booked that through the cruiseship.

I defintely agree you should see some of the island on your first trip there.

Im looking for a private tour in the Cayman Islands too, but with a handicapped person Im with. She cant dive or do zip lines or the cabe tubing in Belize and she cant drink because of her medication and we are Irish and burn easily so beach days dont work, 15 minutes and we are both sunburned which we can do on the ship. She thought snorkeling looked like fun, but I told her you need to know how to swim really to be doing that, she can barely swim. It kind of limits me since I need to stay with her.

Reading thru here hoping to get some ideas for a private tour for 2 people that is reasonable, basic sightseeing probably.

One doesn't have to be a good swimmer to enjoy snorkeling. Participants in ship booked excursions have to wear an inflatable flotation vest while in the water. One can partially inflate the vest which makes things easier for novices.

I recently was on a Reef & Wreck excursion, booked through RCCL, that was relatively inexpensive. We took a 5 minute bus ride to a boat that took us to two separate locations just off-shore - about 100 yards or so from shore. The boat had glass bottom view ports so those that were tired or didn't feel too comfortable snorkeling could get a view of some fish and coral. Not the best snorkeling, but an easy introduction to the activity. (Actually its amusing that while our excursion was collecting at the tender port I observed a number of people snorkeling just off-shore. Turns out that this was were we were headed.)

If your travel partner is handicapped you'll need to check that the limitation won't interfere with getting in and out of the water. The boat I was on had a platform at the rear of the vessel which was 1 - 2 feet above the waterline with ladders going into the water. This is a fairly common configuration, but you'll need to check the specifics of any excursion you are contemplating.

If you burn easily wear lots of waterproof sunscreen and reapply every couple of hours. When I'm going to be in the sun all day I like to use a spray on and apply it to my entire body before getting dressed in the morning. I also wear a t-shirt when I'm in the water.

If you can get a group together I would highly recommend the Zodiac tour offered by island marketing. We had a group of 10 ages 4-63 and we had the best day of our cruise. We went to see the stingrays (fantastic), snorkeling( my 7 yr olds favorite) and to starfish beach (found several starfish and a huge hermit crab) also great for some uncrowded beach time. Capt Nick was wonderful, very knowlegable and great with the kids! Even the boat rides to each area where lots of fun in the fast zodiac. It was great to have our own boat so we were free to move on to the next area whenever we were ready.

Sara

Archived