Buff Brides?!

briseis23

Have a good trip, and be strong! I am out of town almost every week, and whenever travelling I always lose control of my diet.

I am going to post this elsewhere, but just wanted to mention that I just went to Dollar Tree to pick up some carpet spot remover and they had a bunch of wedding items. They had some small decoration items, but here are some things we picked up:

small white organza bags (6 ct)

bubbles with dove pair on top (6 ct)

garter - already have mine, but what the heck, it was a buck

small favor boxes (20 ct)

silver kissing bells (8 ct)

small white paper doilies (90 ct)

wedding invitations with envelopes (which we will use as stationery) (6 ct)

They also had place cards, thank you cards, RSVP cards, photo frames, bride and groom plates and napkins, wedding ring charms (100 ct), bride and groom figures, gift bags, and some other things that I can't think of. All of it $1, of course. Just thought I would pass it on!

Can you believe I threw out my band!! I am such an idiot. I threw it out because I didn't know what it was. You are going to think I'm an idiot... I thought it was a sash. I had never seen a resistance band before! Hope you got a good laugh out of that one. Hehehe!

Dinner Disaster:

Well here is one way to avoid too much pasta... I made my normal sauce/ground turkey recipe, but I used the new Barilla enriched pasta. Ewwwww..... is all I have to say. It killed the recipe. It tastes so weird that even though I am starving, I can't even finish a small portion.

In other news... I am now able to run 7 1/2 minutes without stopping. It sounds pathetic, but I'm pretty excited about it. Also, my new trainer is totally kicking my butt. My arms and abs are so sore!

Hey Mandabear... I did arms and abs today, too! And 7.5 minutes is really great! I can't do that. Hahaha. Cardio bores me unless it's a class. I REALLY need to change my attitude there (or go to a class... now THERE'S a thought).

So today was Day 1 of the Biggest Loser, and it was very informative. We will have classes to discuss nutrition, and today was about what types of food to eat. I was surprised to find out what is good and what isn't. For example, I always thought hummus was healthy, but it apparently isn't!! Oops!

Also, a co-worker told me about this site called sparkpeople.com. It's similar to Weight Watchers in that you set goals and track your diet and exercise, but this calculates more than WW does. I may end up cancelling WW. We'll see.

AND... I started a new blog so I can track my progress. I will include everything I am eating and what exercise I am doing and post my results weekly. If anyone is interested, it's www.buffbridesblog.blogspot.com. I am planning on doing some before/after photos too. Kinda scary!

Tonight I made kabobs (shrimp, green and red bell pepper, and squash), and I was pleasantly surprised how good they were. I usually think they are just okay, but it was a good way to mix things up instead of just doing veggies as a side dish. We had it with brown rice and salad. Yum!

Hi all,

Dallas was fine, only now I'm sick! I think maybe someone else was sick on my flight? I don't know. Anyway, I am congested and all, and my ears would NOT pop on the airplane on the way home! It hurt soo badly, now I think I know why babies cry so much on airplanes! I almost started panicking because of the pain...I hope I never have to ride a plane again while congested, it's no fun!

Then I came home and FI and I went to a greek restaurant for dinner. I ordered a stuffed chicken breast, but I didn't eat very much because I was not feeling well...and I think what I did eat didn't agree with me because now I also am having "stomach issues".

Well being sick and all, I decided not to go to the gym today, I need to work on getting better & resting. It's been a crazy past few days. Maybe I will do some pilates & stretching though.

Oh, and I just found out something really cool - my friend who went to architecture school with me just had an interview with Disney to become an "imagineer" and design Disney buildings (resorts and ride enclosures and things)!!! If he gets it, he will move to Orlando for a year.

How was your week/weekend?

-Rach

Being sick is never fun... and it is the worst when you have to fly. I keep nose spray (like Afrin) in my travel bag for this purpose. Apparently most of the time it isn't good to use it (don't know why, i'm just repeating what my doctor said) but it's supposed to help a lot if you are congested and have to fly.

Well now you have a good excuse to take some time off and relax! I'm not even sick and I have no (good) excuse for why I haven't seen the gym since Thursday. I went to visit a friend this weekend and we had way too much food and drink on Friday. I knew I was in trouble when the maitre'd came around with a bottle of tequila and started pouring it down people's throats!

In other news... I am a bridesmaid in August and I had to order my dress about 4 months ago. Well it just came in and I went with the bride to pick it up. She wanted me to try it on. I guess I'm a few sizes smaller now, because I zipped the skirt and when i turned around it fell straight to the floor! The top was not any better. LOL! I guess I need to find a good tailor!

Being sick is never fun... and it is the worst when you have to fly. I keep nose spray (like Afrin) in my travel bag for this purpose. Apparently most of the time it isn't good to use it (don't know why, i'm just repeating what my doctor said) but it's supposed to help a lot if you are congested and have to fly.

Well now you have a good excuse to take some time off and relax! I'm not even sick and I have no (good) excuse for why I haven't seen the gym since Thursday. I went to visit a friend this weekend and we had way too much food and drink on Friday. I knew I was in trouble when the maitre'd came around with a bottle of tequila and started pouring it down people's throats!

In other news... I am a bridesmaid in August and I had to order my dress about 4 months ago. Well it just came in and I went with the bride to pick it up. She wanted me to try it on. I guess I'm a few sizes smaller now, because I zipped the skirt and when i turned around it fell straight to the floor! The top was not any better. LOL! I guess I need to find a good tailor!

Isn't that awesome when your clothes start falling off?? Good for you! :) I'm hoping I have to do a lot of alterations to my wedding dress and the formal dresses I bought a few weeks ago.

A little off topic, but I'm so ticked at my bridal salon right now. I don't know if it's the manufacturer who does it this way or them, but I'm still mad! I ordered my dress back in November and paid for it in full. They said it would take 6 months to arrive, so I called Friday to see what was up since it's been almost 7 months now. Well, even though I paid in full and ordered SIX months ago, they're making and sending other dresses before mine because "those brides have a earlier wear date. It only takes 6 weeks to do alterations". It doesn't matter when they ordered it either. Whatever. They should have to wait just like I did and should have planned ahead just like I did. I guess it really honks me off because I could have put that $800 to another use if I had known I had to wait that long. I could have just put a deposit down and paid in full later. :mad: :mad:

I only lost 3 inches this week, 14.5 inches overall in 4 weeks. I think my measurements were a little off this week because it's getting close to "that time" and I'm probably bloated. I tend to do that badly every month. Also, the slacking of last week probably didn't help. It was a strong motivation to get back on top of it; that's for sure!

Manda, that is awesome about the dress being so loose! Great job! I hope that is how my wedding dress is when it comes in! :) And I will have to remember to bring some sort of nasal spray next time, although I am feeling much better today.

Lora, I would be annoyed also about it taking so long for the dress! I was worried about ordering mine, and I still had about 10 months to go, but they said that I absolutely must order now to ensure it will get here by Sept (wedding is in Nov, but I will time for alterations I hope!). Anyway, I was also annoyed that they made me order the size they did, it made it cost $200 extra to order an 18, when the only thing too tight on the 16 was 1/2" on the waist and 1" on the hips (which don't matter). I tried to argue, but my mom agreed with the lady. Since it was kind of awkward and my mom was paying I just let them get the 18. Now I really regret it! I'm usually a 12 or 14 in normal dresses. In fact I've ordered 14 for every wedding I've been a bridesmaid in. I don't like wedding-gown sizing! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not small-chested but I have a feeling the bust is going to be huge when it comes in (even if I hadn't lost weight).

Either way, congrats on losing 3 more inches Lora, that's great!

I haven't taken measurements yet (I need to get a tape measurer, but I did weigh myself this morning, and I'm down 3.8 pounds! I couldn't believe it! 6.4 overall. I thnk it *might* be due to the fact that I was sick and not eating much. I obviously don't want to be sick and I want to lose weight healthfully, but hey maybe it is a little bright spot of being sick! I'm not going to get too excited though, just in case it was water weight from having stomach problems. Crazy since I don't usually get sick very often!

Hey there brides!

I know I've mentioned this before, but I just have to tell you all that the boxing classes can't be beat: 1) you'll have KILLER arms; 2) you can beat the crap out of the heavy bag to deal with all of the planning stress; and 3) it's actually a good ab workout too.

I'm still not getting anywhere near a scale (i've been really good at the gym and REALLY BAD about the diet). Anyone else "cheat" this week? I'll admit it... we went to the cheesecake factory for dinner, and I can't go there without at least trying a slice of cheesecake.

Yeah, it's the first half of the triathlon that scares me. I figure that the worst thing that can happen during the biking is having to slow down, and the worst thing during the running is having to walk... but the swim... the worst thing is that you get kicked in the head and drown!!!

OK ladies, here is my question. Is there ANY type of chinese food that isn't terrible for you? If not, what do you think is the best choice? Oh, and I don't eat any fish. Someone help me!

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-counter/calories_in_chinese_food/ here is a calorie listing for chinese food... I hope this helps..

Thanks for the chinese food site, it's very helpful... it will keep me from pretending that chinese food isn't all terrible for me! although last time i was good and ordered the "vegetable steamer" with rice. It wasn't very satisfying (as far as chinese food goes) but I didn't feel guilty at all!

RachieLnnn- being sick is a good excuse! it's no fun to try to work out when you don't feel well. you probably won't be able to give 100% and it could just make it take longer for you to recover.

Congrats Mandabear!

You all are making more progress than I am. I need to weigh in tomorrow and see if I lost anything. My guess is no, but I am eating even healthier than before. When there are goodies presented before me (which happens almost daily since I work in the sales and marketing in the grocery industry) I now only take a small portion, like a bite or two. So I get to enjoy it without being a glutton!

If you like Chinese, you might want to try Vietnamese food. I actually prefer it. It is much more fresh... not deep friend and less sauce. Today I had grilled chicken and shrimp with rice vermicelli. The sauce was some kind of carrot sauce, and on the side was fresh cabbage, carrots, mint leaves, and sprouts. I also had a side of fresh spring rolls. Everyone was so curious about my lunch. I can see how some people might not like it, but I really think it's great. I am such a rice vermicelli fanatic!!

Keep up the great work! I am heading to an abs class and then doing my strength training. I am hoping I lost at least a pound this past week. I am not too confident that I did, but maybe I will get lucky!!!

Here's a recipe that sounds really yummy. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to!

Spinach Feta Personal Pizza

Serves: 1

This quick and easy thin-crust pizza is a delicious alternative to having a platter of grease and cheese delivered to your door.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 (8-inch) flour tortilla
  • 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
  • 10 spinach leaves, fresh
  • 1 sliced Roma tomato
  • 1 tablespoon feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons low fat mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Turn on oven broiler.

2. Spray cookie sheet with spray margarine and place tortilla on sheet.

3. Toast tortilla lightly on both sides under broiler. Remove from oven.

4. Top tortilla with sauce, spinach leaves, and tomato slices.

5. Sprinkle on feta cheese and mozzarella cheese.

6. Place under broiler until cheese melts.

NUTRITION INFO (per 1-tortilla serving)

Calories: 275.8

Fat: 8.9 g

Carbohydrates: 37.7 g

Protein: 12.9 g

That pizza sounds really good. It might be dinner tonight! (Which would be good because my friends are very into Cinco de Mayo, and I don't need to be eating mexican and margaritas!)

So ladies, here is what I want to know... We are all working very hard and making progress. I tend to focus on what I DON'T like and what isn't working... but I have to admit... I love that I can see my collarbones and the new muscles in my shoulders. What does everyone else love?

I love that I can lie down on my side and my stomach doesn't stick out as far! I know it sounds odd, but I don't "suck it in" anymore when my fiance puts his arm around me at night! lol

My face is dropping some weight too. I have cheekbones! :)

I'm starting to lose motivation. Measured today. Only lost an inch on the bust and gained a 1/2 inch on the calf. 15 inches overall in 4 weeks. The first few weeks I was losing like crazy. Now it's just nothing. Ugh.

I've been bad with my diet. I started drinking a lot of soda again. I was really good about water in its place, but still had a diet soda here and there. Now I'm, for some reason, drinking REGULAR soda again. Why? I had a good thing going and now I'm blowing it!

I had a double cheeseburger, large fries, and a large regular Dr. Pepper for supper at 10pm, worked late. I ate a banana for breakfast, missed lunch because my daughter had a soccer game, and didn't eat until I got home from work (I worked through supper). I didn't feel like putting anything together and I was lazy. It's one thing to be lazy, but why did I get lazy in such a LARGE way? I'm so disgusted with myself.

The exercise routine I'm doing recommends 3 times a week. I usually was doing 4. Now I'm lucky if I can get 2 in. Lazy, lazy me!

I don't know if it's because finals are coming up or the lack of progress that is making me regress. Not to mention the ex stress. Long story...All I know is I need to figure it out FAST before I'm just not losing anything; I'm gaining back!

Luvmytbear-

Don't beat yourself up over it!!! At the end of the day, it's what you do most of the time that makes the difference.

I try and make it easy for myself... I keep hummus and crackers handy, low fat/GI yogurt in the fridge, apple sauce, unsalted almonds... basically I make sure sure there is always a somewhat healthy snack available. I keep almonds and protein bars in my bag so I have them when I'm on the run.

As for the plateau, try changing your exercise routine. Our bodies will acclimatize to what we are doing, sometimes it's just a matter of shaking things up a little. If you can't get to the gym, power walk a few laps around your daughters soccer game!

I hope this sounds right. Everyone on here is trying so hard and really seem to want others to succeed. Just don't give up!!!!

Cheers!

Ann

Lora- Don't worry, it's just a rough patch! sorry to hear about the ex drama, if it makes you feel any better, I'm having some future SIL dramas of my own (though they seem to be resolving, which makes me feel much better.) And if you are able to stick with the program AT ALL during finals, I am really impressed. I agree with Ann about the plateau. I went 3 weeks with no change of any kind. I added some running to my program (even though I hate it) and I'm getting some results again. Just hang in there. And don't feel bad about the cheeseburger meal. In fact, to make you feel better, here is a list of all the junk I ate last week (last week was a REALLY bad week for me as far as diet):

-cheesy stuffed tortillas at the cheesecake factory

-Cheesecake at the cheesecake factory (who can resist that!)

-Chinese food - TWICE on Friday (lunch out with coworkers and dinner with fiance)

-Wine

So, don't give up, but cut yourself a break! It will be fine.

Oh, one more tip... I used to be a soda drinker (diet pepsi, unless I was sick and then for some reason, all I wanted was regular coke.) I broke the habit by drinking seltzer water. I buy the cans, so it still feels like I'm getting a soda, and sometimes I'll put lime or lemon or orange in the can. Maybe you would like it too... at least you get that fizzy sensation!

Luvmytbear-

Don't beat yourself up over it!!! At the end of the day, it's what you do most of the time that makes the difference.

I try and make it easy for myself... I keep hummus and crackers handy, low fat/GI yogurt in the fridge, apple sauce, unsalted almonds... basically I make sure sure there is always a somewhat healthy snack available. I keep almonds and protein bars in my bag so I have them when I'm on the run.

As for the plateau, try changing your exercise routine. Our bodies will acclimatize to what we are doing, sometimes it's just a matter of shaking things up a little. If you can't get to the gym, power walk a few laps around your daughters soccer game!

I hope this sounds right. Everyone on here is trying so hard and really seem to want others to succeed. Just don't give up!!!!

Cheers!

Ann

Thank you for your support! :) I will have to try shaking things up a bit. I took the dog on a mile walk (or rather jog, he was pretty rambunctious today! lol) today since it was so nice outside. Light breeze...mid 60's...aaaaaaaah... I'm going to try keeping some good snacks closer to reach. I'll throw some goodies in my backpack and my purse, since those things go everywhere with me! Maybe if I could kill the cravings I'd be less prone to binging.

Lora- Don't worry, it's just a rough patch! sorry to hear about the ex drama, if it makes you feel any better, I'm having some future SIL dramas of my own (though they seem to be resolving, which makes me feel much better.) And if you are able to stick with the program AT ALL during finals, I am really impressed. I agree with Ann about the plateau. I went 3 weeks with no change of any kind. I added some running to my program (even though I hate it) and I'm getting some results again. Just hang in there. And don't feel bad about the cheeseburger meal. In fact, to make you feel better, here is a list of all the junk I ate last week (last week was a REALLY bad week for me as far as diet):

-cheesy stuffed tortillas at the cheesecake factory

-Cheesecake at the cheesecake factory (who can resist that!)

-Chinese food - TWICE on Friday (lunch out with coworkers and dinner with fiance)

-Wine

So, don't give up, but cut yourself a break! It will be fine.

Oh, one more tip... I used to be a soda drinker (diet pepsi, unless I was sick and then for some reason, all I wanted was regular coke.) I broke the habit by drinking seltzer water. I buy the cans, so it still feels like I'm getting a soda, and sometimes I'll put lime or lemon or orange in the can. Maybe you would like it too... at least you get that fizzy sensation!

The seltzer water sounds really good! I'll try that and see how it works.

Cheesecake....yum! If it makes you feel any better, wine has some health benefits! :D For some reason, I always think I'm the only one who slips up. Maybe I need to stop being so hard on myself. It is nice to hear that I'm not alone in the struggle though. I've been good today. Had a ham sandwich on wheat (just two pieces of ham and a slice of low fat cheese) and some pretzels.

I did my weigh-in on Thursday and I actually lost 2 lbs! I was very surprised (and happy). Finally some encouraging progress!

Lovemytbear, you have to focus on the positive. It's soooo hard to just start a diet. I know I had to ease into it. It was the same way to quit smoking. I just did it less and less until I didn't want to do it anymore. Maybe you are the same way. I am keeping a blog as well as a binder where I write down my progress, track what I eat, a calendar of my exercise plan, and articles and recipes that I find useful. The blog is especially helpful for reviewing what I've eaten and whether I worked out and what the result was. I put a smiley face if I was good and a frown if not. Just an idea.

Mandabear... you will be happy to know I did some cardio, and I actually enjoyed it! Yeah! I burned about 400 calories and felt so good that I was dancing around the living room after I got back home. There is definitely a hump you have to get over. I think once I get past 5 minutes or so it started to feel easier. Also, I got a larger mp3 player (Sansa mp3's are on sale through Best Buy in the store and online... $80 for a 2GB). I only had a 512MB before and got sooooo bored with the song selection, but now I have more songs and a playlist that rocks! I didn't want to post the list on here because it's so long, but if anyone is looking for more songs to workout to it's on my blog: http://buffbridesblog.blogspot.com/

I am also open to suggestions if anyone has favorites songs that pump them up!

Lora...

Good on ya girl!!

If you're having trouble with cravings (3pm ish? low energy?), then have a look at when you're eating when. I don't know you personally, so this is just a hypothesis..

In general, you want to keep your metabolism turning over and your sugar levels on an even keel. Cravings are often the result a drop in glucose, then we aim for the quick fix (chocolate, muffins, cake, burgers, bread, energy drinks...). If you can level it (sugar), then you shouldn't have the cravings -and I'm guessing you might also be getting a drop in energy levels as well? This is where low GI foods are good as they won't spike your blood sugar. You need carbs, but good ones.

Are you getting some form of protein in at every meal? This helps the body build lean mass (muscle) and tends to 'fill you up'. Muscle requires more energy to maintain, so once you start increasing your muscle, you will also burn more calories at rest! Bonus!

Here's what I do... I make sure I eat a good breakfast, eat less - but more often (I usually eat about 5 times a day), try to get some protein in at every meal, stay hydrated (water!!) and keep some good snacks within reach. I also try to keep it real with the exercise - goals must be achievable (so be real when deciding how much exercise you are going to do- maybe aim for 2 sessions at first and if you do more... great!)

Oh.. and remember, if you really want that Take-Out, then have it and enjoy it! - just don't do it everyday and keep it a reasonable size.

I hope this helps... (just tell me to zip it if it doesn't!)

I'm very lazy when it comes to cooking, so if you want any food ideas that are easy... just let me know!

Brieis23- love the playlist and congrats on the 2lbs!...

Hang in there!

Cheers,

Ann

Lora...

Good on ya girl!!

If you're having trouble with cravings (3pm ish? low energy?), then have a look at when you're eating when. I don't know you personally, so this is just a hypothesis..

In general, you want to keep your metabolism turning over and your sugar levels on an even keel. Cravings are often the result a drop in glucose, then we aim for the quick fix (chocolate, muffins, cake, burgers, bread, energy drinks...). If you can level it (sugar), then you shouldn't have the cravings -and I'm guessing you might also be getting a drop in energy levels as well? This is where low GI foods are good as they won't spike your blood sugar. You need carbs, but good ones.

Are you getting some form of protein in at every meal? This helps the body build lean mass (muscle) and tends to 'fill you up'. Muscle requires more energy to maintain, so once you start increasing your muscle, you will also burn more calories at rest! Bonus!

Here's what I do... I make sure I eat a good breakfast, eat less - but more often (I usually eat about 5 times a day), try to get some protein in at every meal, stay hydrated (water!!) and keep some good snacks within reach. I also try to keep it real with the exercise - goals must be achievable (so be real when deciding how much exercise you are going to do- maybe aim for 2 sessions at first and if you do more... great!)

Oh.. and remember, if you really want that Take-Out, then have it and enjoy it! - just don't do it everyday and keep it a reasonable size.

I hope this helps... (just tell me to zip it if it doesn't!)

I'm very lazy when it comes to cooking, so if you want any food ideas that are easy... just let me know!

Brieis23- love the playlist and congrats on the 2lbs!...

Hang in there!

Cheers,

Ann

Dang girl, you sure have it together! You are very helpful, so keep it coming! :)

I always have proteins at every meal so I'm doing OK there hopefully. Carbs are my big downfall. I love potatoes, bread, pasta...good thing Atkins never appealed to me! :) I've been good about switching to whole grain based pastas and bread but I have to admit I miss my 'taters. You are not too far off though. My biggest pitfall is mid afternoon between lunch and supper. I used to be bad about eating before bed but I've gotten that under control.

I love new recipes and I'm sure the others here would love to try some new ones as well. If you have time to share some I'm all ears! :D

Briesis...thanks for the playlist. That is a great one! I'm in the process of getting some of those off CDs I have, downloading the rest and using it. Congrats on 2 lbs! That is great! I'm glad to see you're making progress!

Hi everyone!

This week has been a busy one for me! Sounds like a lot of you are doing great! I have not been so great, trying to pick everything back up again after being sick. I am re-starting Buff Brides. Yesterday I did 35 minutes of cardio so tonight I am going to do some of the weights, etc. I decided I am going to write down all my exercise achievements in the Buff Brides book, next to the recommendations, and also so that I can look back in the coming months and see how much I've done. I love that idea of using smileys/frownies!

I've been eating a lot of take-out recently (chinese, Portillos, etc). so today for lunch I got a salad from Cosi. They have 3 great new low-calorie ones, if you happen to have one near you. My favorite is the Chicken Salad Bruschetta. I think it's about 420 Cals (but I also eat some of the flatbread, which isn't so great for you! But it's yum!)

Yesterday we also went to taste wedding cakes, which I'm sure isn't great for the diet but a neccessary evil! Ha. My favorite was chocolate with a fudge filling and a mocha filling - soooo bad but delicious! I restricted myself to only a taste of each flavor so hopefully it wasn't too bad! One funny thing - this is the bakery we've always gone to since I was in about 8th grade, and I found out that they made the cake for "My Fair Brady 2"! I don't know if any of you watched the show, but you can see my hometown as they are driving to the bakery! :)

Everyone, have a great day. Tomorrow morning is my weigh-in, I'll let you know how it goes!

Archived