Buff Brides?!

briseis23

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I did more cardio today. However, I had 3 breadsticks and a couple cookies throughout the day. I was totally unprepared for my increased metabolism!

One of my coworkers said I need to try the Fiber One chewy bars:

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/brand.aspx?catID=22291&groupID=19412#

I might pick some up, but I am a fan of the Special K bars. Only 90 calories!

Briseis- I love the song list. Some of my new favorites are Justin Timberlake's "Summer Love", Maroon 5's "makes me wonder" and "Sunday Morning", and Nickelback's "If everyone cared." So, have you tried Spinning yet? :)

RachieLnnn- I love Cosi! So tasty. But the one by me serves S'Mores, and I find it almost impossible to turn down S'mores!

Ann (and everyone)- any good ideas for protein at breakfast? I don't eat eggs/egg beaters... and I eat at my desk at work...breakfast is always dry cereal (I don't like milk...I know I'm picky!), coffee, and then fruit a few hours later.

Lora- I love potatoes too. I've managed to partially switch to sweet potatoes (not sure how much better they are, but they are orange, so they must have some good vitamins/nutrients, right?) but I still have my regular potatoes once in awhile!

Thanks for the song recommendations. I added "Conga" by Gloria Estefan (not sure how I left that one off). I think I might also add more disco and 80s. Can't go wrong there!

I did try spinning, but the instructor I felt comfortable with left. We are going to try out a new instructor tomorrow, so hopefully she won't kill me!

Well, this week I am up 0.3 pounds, which I am not too upset about, seeing as how last week I think a lot of my "loss" was water weight from being sick. My goal for this week is to complete the first week of the Buff Brides program, and try to pass on desserts unless I have just a taste.

I think I'm going to go to the gym tonight and walk/jog while I watch America's Next Top Model... we've got these great flat screens in front of each treadmill, I love it. (None on elliptical yet though)

Mandabear, have you tried any type of protein bars for breakfast? I heard Special K has a new one. I myself usually either have a bowl of cereal before I leave home or else a regular Special K bar while I'm at work if I don't have time for cereal. Then a piece of fruit around 10am maybe.

I have not checked out that workout playlist, but I'm going to tonight. I've decided that I need to choose songs and make a playlist for working out...right now I sort of have one, but the beats are all over the place. I'm going to choose songs that have the right "pace" for me, it helps keep me going and not slacking off!

Have a good day everyone!

Briseis-

Hopefully you'll find an instructor you like. It took me a few weeks to figure out which classes I like and which ones I didn't like. There are about 10 Spin instructors at my gym. I really like three of them and there is a 4th whose class I go to because I know it's good for me, even though her style isn't my favorite.

RachieLnnn- I totally agree about the pace of the workout songs. I had to make a new folder of music on my MP3 player just for songs to use while "running." My current pace is Pink's U and UR Hand.

U and Ur Hand is a great song! I think it's perfect for spinning. It has the slower pace and then the super pumped up chorus. I am also downloading "There You Go." I forgot all about that one. I have "You Make Me Sick" already. I am already getting bored with some of the songs on the playlist (guess I work out too much!).

So tonight was the first night with the new spinning instructor. It works out pretty well because she teaches the abs class right before, so I don't have to choose one or the other. She is tougher than the last instructor I tried out, but I like her. So I think I'm going to stick with Wednesdays for spinning. About half way through I was breathing really heavy and for a second thought about leaving, but I stuck with it and I'm really happy that I made it through. I basically started cardio on Sunday, so I need to cut myself a little slack!

My weigh-in is tomorrow, so hopefully I made some progress. I worked out a little more than usual, though I don't feel like I lost anything. We'll see!!

Mandabear- Do you have a wee fridge at work? And do you like yogurt or almonds? I'm with Rachie on the protein bar option. Just make sure you read the labels. Check the protein, fat, and carb contents. If they say low-fat, chances are they will be higher in sugar. All carbs aren't created equal! Under the carb section it should say sugar/glucose. Have a look at how much of the carbs are sugar. If it the majority - try another bar. Another option would be a protein shake. You could keep the powder at work and mix it with water (not so tasty) or may a soy or rice milk if you don't do dairy. Rice milk is nice, but water it down a bit because it is calorie rich!

Another option for your snack could be some natural almonds (15ish) and a yogurt. Fruit is always good!

Make sure you get enough water!

Ok.. I'm rambling again - time to stop!

Cheers!

Ann

Hello everyone..I just got done reading all the post and you guys are wonderful. I am doing weight watchers and I have lost 7.2 pounds in 10 weeks. I had a few bad weeks. But I am getting married April 26, 2008. We aren't getting married on a boat, but we do love cruising. We are leaving for a cruise on the 19th.

Well I hope everyone is doing good. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Ok Meeko...way to werid...that is WW place I go to. I go on Monday nites at 5:30.

I did go today, went on a 3 mile walk with the dog, and then a 5 mile bike ride. I am getting better about getting out there!! :o) Hope everyone is doing good!!

Welcome Peanut! :)

I'm a little whacked out on Tramadol now, so bear with me! lol

I haven't eaten in two days. Got the darn bronchitis, ear infection, and headaches from hell. I had to wear my sunglasses in class for the past two days because the lights were killing me. So, obviously no exercise for me. Hopefully the lack of appetite will help a little! :) I'll be happy just to survive finals on the 16th. Hopefully I can feel better by then.

Hello Peanut! Welcome! Congrats on your WW success.

I did my weigh in today and I lost another pound. Yippy!

Also, I picked up some of the Fiber One bars, and I have to say I still prefer the Special K ones!

Ugghhh! What a weekend! Ate out on Friday (BBQ flatbread...really tasty, not at all low fat) and then had a wedding on Saturday. I had planned to be REALLY good and not eat anything but fruit at the cocktail hour and to avoid the dessert bar at all costs. All willpower melted away at the sight of the mashed potato bar. Have any of you seen this before? Apparently it's quite popular here in NJ. Yummy mashed potatos with all the toppings...build your own perfect potato (and it was served in martini glasses!). Managed to avoid ALMOST the entire dessert bar (only one small chocolate tart). The worst part was dragging my hung over self out to the gym this morning (did I forget to mention the 4 glasses of wine between cocktail hour, dinner, and dancing?). Guess it's extra treadmill time this week... hope you all had more successful weekends than I did!

Lost another 2 inches, 17.5 overall since 4/2. Didn't exercise all week. I'm sick, lazy and trying to study. Oh well....

Diet? LMAO Today is Mother's Day and I had to cook. Yeah, I had to cook. And worked all day too. Don't even want to talk about it I'm still so mad. Anyhoo... I didn't have anything in the house to cook because I didn't plan on cooking today. Made cheeseburgers and had Doritos with them. Yay.

I'll get back on track next week. If I don't, I think someone might need to come kick my butt around a bit. Please? It'll be some good exercise for you anyhow! :D

Yum...mashed potatoes.... (sorry, I went into fantasy mode for a moment there).....

I LOVE those mashed potato bars! We had them at my FI's holiday work party! Yummm.

I have been ok with cardio lately, but I just can't bring myself to do Buff Brides! What is my problem??? I am going to start that tonight, and if not, you'll all have to kick my butt too!!!

I've started giving myself smileys for working out or eating healthy. Breakfast usually isn't a downfall for me since I just have cereal or something like that, so I have a chance to get a smiley at lunch, dinner, and then if I work out that day. I'm shooting for at least 3/3 or 2/3 smileys. I think sometimes I'm really hard on myself, and that makes it harder to stick with it. I beat myself up if I have a slice of cake or something, but I just need to realize that I can incorporate that if I make up for it elsewhere. So I'm hoping this will focus on all the positive habits I'm starting. I'm already doing so many more healthy things that I was a few months ago!!!

Yesterday for cardio I mixed it up a little on the treadmill and walked for 5 min, ran 5, walked 4, ran 6, walked 3 ran 7, walked 2 ran 8, then a cooldown. It really made the time go faster that just trying to chug away at jogging the entire time!

Anyone do any fun outdoor activities this weekend since it is so nice out?

I was not "bad" this weekend, but I wasn't completely good, either. I am noticing that bad these days is not nearly as bad as it used to be. But I spent 2 hours at the gym tonight. I would like to say I am making up for not working out all weekend, but I know it doesn't quite work that way.

Good job Lora, on another 2 inches! That's awesome! I'm still amazed at your progress during school. I think I put on 10 pounds during the last 2 final months when I was finishing grad school! Between all the celebratory nights out and trips to our favorite mexican place for Margaritas, it was bad...

I did weigh in this morning, and I'm down another 1.2 pounds for a total of 7.4!! Woo! I think I'm at the point now where I think, "I can do this!" Even if I keep up my slow-ish pace of about a pound a week, I still have about 27 weeks until the wedding...and I would be THRILLED if I lost another 27 pounds.

And I started Buff Brides last night, it was totally painless, I don't know why I was putting it off. It looks like it will get much harder after weeks 1 and 2 though!

Have a great day everyone!

-Rachel

YIKES! Finally made myself get back on the scale... up one pound, but this is expected and completely my own fault for eating so badly over the past 2 weeks. But that number was enough to get me back in gear. Now that my fiance is done with school (graduated on Thursday!) I can drag him to the gym with me. As for the diet, here's what's on my menu this week:

-Veggie pasta (lots of veggies tossed with pasta and 2 tablespoons of light olive oil)

-Veggie stir-fry w/brown rice (lots of veggies cooked in fat free cooking spray with low-cal terriyaki sauce)

-grilled chicken w/mushroom and onion and last night's leftover rice (my favorite way to impose portion control...save half for the next night before serving it)

-turkey burgers (no bun for me...) sweet potato, and green beans

Anyone have any new recipes/ideas?

Archived