Why so many negative comments about NCL?

dexter

I've cruised every major cruise line except Normegian. I'm wondering why so many people talk so negatively about NCL. I've researched all cruise lines and they all look very similar...why the negative talk?

NCL is THE mass market line within the mass market arena. They offer bargain cruises and to do so some things get left by the way side. I think they have very nice ships and offer a good product for the price. However, like all retail business I am sure Kmart gets more complaints than Tiffany and it is usually the folks hoping for a Tiffany experience while sailing on a Kmart product that causes the complaints.

Try NCL yourself, it is certainly cheap enough.

In my opinion, only the people who have something negative to say search out a place to voice their opinion. Those of us who have had absolutely amazing experiences with NCL rarely if ever point them out. You end up with a very one sided opinion of the cruise line, which is really very unfortunate. Personally, I always take the negative opinions with a grain of salt. NCL is not for everyone, but it certainly meets my needs and keeps me coming back.

I believe many of the negative comments are caused by the fact that NCL is the exception to the rule when it comes to mainstream cruising. Its Freestyle cruising policies (dining choices plus resort casual dress) make it unique. Not only is NCL different but it tends to be an innovator. The result? Some cruisers, particularly traditionalists, don't like it because it's different. Some people simply don't like change. They want the tried and true. They want to re-experience the same experience that they have enjoyed in the past - the same decor, the same formal nights, the same fixed dining times, the same assigned tables, the same wait staff, the same method of tipping, etc. Now, there's nothing wrong with having those preferences and Freestyle cruising is clearly not suitable for everyone.

Compounding the problem is that sometimes those traditionalists are not well informed about the differences, or they have been misled by rumors, misinformation, and badly informed TAs and friends. This leads to unrealistic expectations which almost always causes disappointment. Hence, the negative comments.

I think there are two reasons for several of the negative comments about the NCL experience. One of the previous posters eluded to the difficulty or reluctance to embrace Freestyle dining. Which really doesn't matter to me personally, but it really is a departure from the typical cruise experience, and I understand how it may not be some people's cup of tea.

The other aspect of the NCL experience is something I personally have dealt with more than a couple of times and I have seen several posts from people who've found themselves in similar situations, is the lack of information, motivation or competence when dealing with NCL's landbased operations, meaning those folks you call on the phone to care for your needs, such as ordering amenities, bar set-ups, excusions etc... or even making a reservation for a cruise, or trying to get an adjustment for a billing error.

It can be like speaking to a vacuous hole in the ground (basically it sucks) and in my case I was unable to get anyone to escalate to, until I finally became fed up and emailed the CEO of the company whose staff cared for my issues.

My NCL cruising experience was pretty good, but what I went through before I ever got on the ship was not my idea of a good time. But unfortunately it is the nature of this beast called NCL, so I know now and have formulated strategys to navigate the minefield and when all else fails I still have Mr. Veitch's email. I have seen an uptick lately in some of the positive reports in the call centers, so I am hoping that perhaps the feedback we've been giving to NCL is having an impact and they are starting to make some positive changes.

I agree with Iluvcruzn; negative comments are much more abundant because people feel compelled to vent their experience. Have you ever noticed reviews where the person is negative on the experience are relatively short; and reviews where the individual enjoyed most or the entire cruise are long?

My experience with NCL has been fantastic; certainly not without its glitches, but overall it’s been fantastic. That’s why we are back!

It's not in the least surprising that the first person to respond to a thread with "NCL" and "negative" in the title would be songanddance.

The "cheap enough" dig is utterly unwarranted. I recently received an email pushing a five-day cruise on Celebrity's Century for $249. So I guess Celebrity offers the cheapest cruising afloat.

I suspect johnql's got it pegged correctly. NCL freestyle is different from all other mass-market cruise lines. Only the much higher-priced Oceania treats passengers with the same respect for their ability to choose for themselves as to where, when, and with whom to dine, and allows passengers to select their attire without outdated and pretentious rules. Passengers accustomed to the regimentation of other mass-market cruise lines sometimes have difficulty adapting to the choices they have on NCL.

Wait a minute, you're going to tell me that you don't think people are negative about Carnival and Royal Caribbean also? C'mon. There's negativity all around us.

But I'm still very excited about my next cruise on the stinky, abysmal, horrid Pride of America! Bring on the runny eggs and long lines and rude staff -- Wheeeeeee! thumbs%20up.gif

I suppose the only way to settle this thing for me is to book a cruise on NCL. The 7 day cruise our of Charleston on the Majesty seems to be just right for us since we live only a couple of hours ways from there. The only thing that has been holding me back is the fact that there are no balconies, but for the price I can get used to a smaller inside cabin.

It's not in the least surprising that the first person to respond to a thread with "NCL" and "negative" in the title would be songanddance.

The "cheap enough" dig is utterly unwarranted. I recently received an email pushing a five-day cruise on Celebrity's Century for $249. So I guess Celebrity offers the cheapest cruising afloat.

I suspect johnql's got it pegged correctly. NCL freestyle is different from all other mass-market cruise lines. Only the much higher-priced Oceania treats passengers with the same respect for their ability to choose for themselves as to where, when, and with whom to dine, and allows passengers to select their attire without outdated and pretentious rules. Passengers accustomed to the regimentation of other mass-market cruise lines sometimes have difficulty adapting to the choices they have on NCL.

I agree with ALL of the above.

Well stated by you and Johnql:)

I suppose the only way to settle this thing for me is to book a cruise on NCL. The 7 day cruise our of Charleston on the Majesty seems to be just right for us since we live only a couple of hours ways from there. The only thing that has been holding me back is the fact that there are no balconies, but for the price I can get used to a smaller inside cabin.

NO balconies is the reason we have not tried the Majesty.

Please review when you return.

We love the Dawn and Jewel and hope to cruise the Gem!

Check out my recent review of the majesty! If you go in with your expectations in line, knowing that this is a small modest ship, with very little eye candy, you will be fine. While you won't nescessarily be wowed by the ships decor, I think that you will experience a fantastic crew! Yes I agree with the above that freestyle isn't for everyone, and it doesn't work flawlessly on this ship, but you can make it work for you.

You have to look at freestyle more like a land based dining experience, are you able to walk into a popular restaraunt at peak dining times, and just sit down?, no you will have your name put on a list and you will be called, same on this small ship. We avoided this by eating early not between 7-8pm which allowed us to see the early show, and there were a couple we really liked so we stayed for the second show, something that you will not get to do with traditional dining.

One thing to mention the basic rooms are small, we had a 108 square foot room, it was small, but it worked for us and was a real bargain.

You will love this ship for different reasons than others, you will feel like you are on a cruise, not a floating shopping mall.

MAC

We have enjoyed NCL on the 2 cruises we have taken. Getting ready to leave on 2/18 on the Sun and have 15 night on the Spirit booked for November. I do think taking a group on NCL is a little harder than on a traditional dining cruiseline especially if you are the group leader. Also, I do know that my TA considers NCL very difficult to deal with. She much prefers Carnival's land staff and reps to NCL. I think she'd rather I not book NCL because of the land staff and problems though she has always worked thru any issues and we have had positive experiences on the cruises.

I don't think NCL is less expensive than other lines. We booked the Sun a year ago and are paying $980 per person for a balcony. We're paying $905 for a balcony cabin on the Carnival Triumph next February 08. As I think we'd all agree, the pricing is dependent on the ship, embarkation port and itinerary. The Majesty has great pricing because it's one of the oldest ships in the fleet.

I haven't sailed her, and old doesn't/shouldn't equate to bad because one of our most favorite ships is RCCL's Empress of the Seas.

I've cruised every major cruise line except Normegian. I'm wondering why so many people talk so negatively about NCL. I've researched all cruise lines and they all look very similar...why the negative talk?

If you are reading these boards or any other websites you will find all lines have more than their share of negatives. You are right, most cruise lines are very similar, NCL offers freestyle which set them apart, but other than that they are much like any other. NCLA, the Hawaiian line is where the negatives come in. It is important to separate the two companies. This is not saying NCLA isn't a good product but they do have their share of problems. One also has to consider the snob affect: some who are very loyal to other lines can't wait to let the world know how bad their cruise on NCL was. NCL will soon have the youngest fleet floating, the crew is noted for being relaxed and very friendly, the cabins are similar in size and amenities to other lines and the entertainment as good if not better than other lines. The weak spot could be food. Though we are normally very happy with the food, according to others the food isn't up to par with some lines.

I would suggest you do read other threads, actually right now, Celeberity seems to be getting thier share of blasts. Why? because they have a couple of older ships that are not as well recieved as some newer ones plus many of the old loyal Celberity fans are finding the line really isn't that much different than other lines. Another consideration: NCL doesn't fall into any one demography like some other lines. It is a bit harder to identify what NCL is all about other than freestyle. NMNita

I'm also finding more negative comments across all of the lines than I did say 5 years ago. I've been on 6 lines, and I see negative comments on all of them, including my favorite line. I think part of it may be that the expectation on the cruise experience is extremely high. I can't think of any other vacation experience that has such high expectations. Also cruise lines are taking cost cutting measures where they can so that they can attract a broader audience.

I've yet to take a bad cruise. None have been perfect (ok, I thought the first one was but, like everyone else, my expectations are higher now :)). Research is key, as mentioned above. HAL offers a very different product than Carnival. Each do a very good job at what they do or they couldn't stay in business as long as they have.

I've been on a lot of cruises, and I think it is the best vacation for the dollar available.

NCL is THE mass market line within the mass market arena. They offer bargain cruises and to do so some things get left by the way side. I think they have very nice ships and offer a good product for the price. However, like all retail business I am sure Kmart gets more complaints than Tiffany and it is usually the folks hoping for a Tiffany experience while sailing on a Kmart product that causes the complaints.

songanddance: I certainly hope you didn't mean to imply NCL is the KMart of the cruise industry; Look at all the new ships, the sur charge restaurants, the friendly crew, the entertainment,etc. You may have a point about the mass marketed within the mass marketed, but to group NCL in the catagory of K Mart, in my opinion is way off base. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it sounded. NMNita

i tend to agree with "songanddance" & "iluvcruzn"

people pay $ and expect $$$. i know when i pay $1600. for two weeks incld. air im not going to get what my boss gets when he goes on regent. but he spends $6000.00 pp. HELLOOOOO!!!!

also, us "happy campers" tend NOT to sing out loud when everything goes good. i work in reatil, how many times have you stopped and said, "that worker is a great sales person", oh hell no. every one keeps all that inside, but the first time an item is late, all hell breaks out. please. the line is fine. not only that but great.

listen you make of it as you wish. and you can be an old picky bitc... andruin your time and everyone in hearing distance or you can have a great time.

HAVE A GREAT TIME. THERE IS A WAR GOING ON AND PEOPLE ARE DYING FOR GOD SAKE. SO THEY DONT HAVE THE "RIGHT" GIN! SO THEY DONT SERVE MIDNIGHT BUFFET ANYMORE, DO YOU REALLY NEED IT. SO THE 110 MPH MADE YOU "MISS" A PORT. YOU ARE ALIVE!!:D

I read all the reviews whether they are negative or positive and as soon as I get on the ship, all of the negativity escapes me and I form my own opinions.

Tech note, cruisequeen: I can barely see your posts with the small an narrow font.... maybe can you bump it up a size for future posts?

We just returned recently from the NCL's POH. I did notice alot of negative comments on NCL,esp POH, particularly with the food and service. I am by no means an expert on crusing, but have previously cruised Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean.

Decided to cruise NCL with not a high expectation.

Boy, was I plesantly surprised.

Food and service was equal or better than the other cruise lines.

Some of the servers were not as experienced as the other cruise lines, they made up for it in their out going personality and eagerness to please. Food was consistently excellent.

I also think the fact that we prefer the freestyle dining of eating when we want, with ourselves or with a group and the wide flexibility of different restuarants to choose from.

For us, this made our trip the most enjoyable cruise we have been on.

Saying this, I can also understand seasoned cruisers who prefer traditional dining having negative comments on freestyle cruising. We meet fellow cruisers who complained on the freestyle cruising, even though they knew when they booked the cruise this would be a freestyle dining experience.

Our first ship on NCL will be the Pearl. I'm very excited it looks beautiful. I agree with most of the postings. There are negative things to say about ALL cruiselines,even different ships within the SAME cruiselines. Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining.

Our first ship on NCL will be the Pearl. I'm very excited it looks beautiful. I agree with most of the postings. There are negative things to say about ALL cruiselines,even different ships within the SAME cruiselines. Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining.

So true!

Haven't been on the Pearl but we love the Dawn and Jewel.

Happy cruising:)

Just curious?

Do you shop at Kmart or Tiffany & Co.,:confused:

Tiffany & Co., do not usually have complaints...personalized service;)

We just returned recently from the NCL's POH. I did notice alot of negative comments on NCL, especially POH, particularly with the food and service. I am by no means an expert on crusing, but have previously cruised Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean.

Decided to cruise NCL with not a high expectation. I know there were growing pains on the POH when they first started back in June.

Boy, was I plesantly surprised.

Food and service was equal or better than the other cruise lines.

Some of the servers were not as experienced as the other cruise lines, they made up for it in their out going personality and eagerness to please. Food was consistently excellent.

We also prefer freestyle dining of eating when we want, with ourselves or with a group and the wide flexibility of different restaurants to choose from.

For us, this made our trip the most enjoyable cruise we have been on.

Saying this, I can also understand seasoned cruisers who prefer traditional dining having negative comments on freestyle cruising. We meet fellow cruisers who complained on the freestyle cruising, even though they knew when they booked the cruise this would be a freestyle dining experience. If you go into a restaurant with a negative attitude, the food and service will not be positive. This negative attitude can also reflect on what you think of other services provided by the cruise line.

When we first cruised with Carnvial, there slogan was "Exceeding your Expectations". We expected and received this expectation.

When we cruised NCL, we did not have high expectation, but the cruise was above our expectations, which made our experience enjoyable and we had a positive attitude throughout the week.

Everyone is different of what to expect, cruise lines offer many different options. You just have to find a cruise that suits what you are looking for.

John

Archived