Why so many negative comments about NCL?

dexter

I will be brief. We have been on 10 cruises. The worst cruise by far was on Norwegian. It was comparable in price but the service, food and entertainment were less then acceptable. We are not grippy, nick-picky people. We have been at least satisfied with the cruises we have been on so far. We were just VERY dissapointed that our first and probably only trip to Hawaii was such a let down. I wouldn't waste my vacation time on a FREE cruise with Norwegian.

That is just my two cents. MAYBE I just had a bad experience with them. But will I EVER chance it again? NO!

*Posted by someone with nothing better to do then offer my input (even if it is negative). Hopefully maybe at least one person will be saved the dissapointment we suffered.

Darlene

Read the ncl boards more often, and you will realize that NCL and NCLA are really different animals, us law dictates that american registered ships have a high percent of american workers, and they have had trouble developing solid excellent crews on these ships. NCL international ships are said to be much different, and after just returning from my first NCL cruise I can say that the crew was the best so far and the ship was absolutely spotless.

But with the bad taste you have in your mouth, you probably should stray away from NCL in the future. My last cruise on RCI (voyager) was less than stellar and maybe the worst service I have had in 7 cruises, but I will not rule out RCI in the future, the ship may have been having a bad week, and my waiter may have been having a bad decade!:D

MAC

Downunder, your first sentence or two was uncalled for. The OP did not ask if people wanted more posts to their credit. They asked a credible question,

Downunder, how are we to know you are factual in your postings?

Not all people tell the truth on public message boards. Why do people come on the public message boards and believe all they read?:rolleyes:

Take each post with a grain of salt, cruise with whoever you want, come back and tell us what you opinion is about NCL. Check out facts with a reputable agency, or NCL themselves. Whatever people say, NCL will still answer your questions. :)

People complain about CSR's at NCL, but I have never been on hold longer than a couple(2-3) minutes after having the phone answered within 3-4 rings. :eek:

" Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ". Odgen Nash.

*Posted by someone with nothing better to do then offer my input (even if it is negative). Hopefully maybe at least one person will be saved the dissapointment we suffered.

Darlene

Here's another great example of generalizing based on a sample of one: "Because I didn't enjoy my one NCL cruise (likely an NCLA cruise), I just know for a fact that no one else could ever possibly enjoy NCL." [Despite the fact that so many of us here who have cruised other mass-market lines continue to cruise NCL regularly as a matter of preference.]

We were just VERY dissapointed that our first and probably only trip to Hawaii was such a let down. I wouldn't waste my vacation time on a FREE cruise with Norwegian.

Darlene

Darlene: Were you on the Norweigan Wind or the POA, POAm or POH?

If you were on the Wind, then I'm sorry that you experienced the bad service.

If you were on the POA, POAm or POH, then you were on NCL-America, a subsidiary of NCL and not the same. The "Pride" ships are the only American flagged passenger ships currently sailing. As an American flagged vessel, they must use an American crew and comply with American wage laws. Service has never been as good on the Pride ships as it is on Norweigan's International crewed fleet.

So if you have only sailed on the Pride ships, you have not actually sailed on NCL. I have been on both and service on the NCL ships (Dawn and Star in my case) far exceeded the service on the Pride of Aloha.

We have had very positive times with NCL but also mad fustration which is all part of the cruise.

Couldn't agree with you more!! I think we all have.

Down-Unders: because of our past disagreements, let me preface this next part by saying, I am not attacking you here, but would like to compare your experience with mine to show an important point.

I find if you deal with problems as they arise NCL have been very good!

Now I have had just the opposite experience with NCL Customer Service. I have found NCL corporate/customer service to be lacking in many ways. They provide wrong answers to questions, they put you on hold for long periods, they have flat out lied to my and my TA in the past, and it always seems that the bottom line is more important than solving customer problems.

Now with that said, let me make an important point to the OP and other newbies who may be reading this: Don't listen to just one of us, don't take any of our opinons as the solem truth. We all look at things in different ways and what one may like another may hate. It is human nature!

The best advice about NCL is to read the good and read the bad and then only after reading both sides, make a decision based on what YOU think and what you think YOUR needs are.

Enjoy NCL we always do!

Now for my opinon of NCL to put with everyone else's: NCL has great ships, great crews and the Freestyle Concept is the greatest thing to ever hit cruising. But...NCL's corporate and customer service is terrible.

I will be brief. We have been on 10 cruises. The worst cruise by far was on Norwegian. It was comparable in price but the service, food and entertainment were less then acceptable. We are not grippy, nick-picky people. We have been at least satisfied with the cruises we have been on so far. We were just VERY dissapointed that our first and probably only trip to Hawaii was such a let down. I wouldn't waste my vacation time on a FREE cruise with Norwegian.

That is just my two cents. MAYBE I just had a bad experience with them. But will I EVER chance it again? NO!

Darlene

Darlene, a negative review should be viewed as important as a positive one: i do think you may have carried your views a little to far by stating you wouldn't even give them another chance if it was free. My guess with absolutely no details is you did no research on cruising Hawaii on an American flagged ship plus NCL and NClA are two different companies, ran totally differently. There are many lines out there thus if you choose never to sail NCL again (which you really haven't sailed) that is ok. I have a client who sailed one NCL ship (before becoming my cliant) and hated it: sailed the second time (still before becoming a cliant) and loved NCL. We have sailed Celebrity twice: the first cruise was great, the second one, not as bad as you say your NCL cruise was,but we were totally unimpressed. Each experience can be different. NMnita

Read the ncl boards more often, and you will realize that NCL and NCLA are really different animals, us law dictates that american registered ships have a high percent of american workers, and they have had trouble developing solid excellent crews on these ships. NCL international ships are said to be much different, and after just returning from my first NCL cruise I can say that the crew was the best so far and the ship was absolutely spotless.

But with the bad taste you have in your mouth, you probably should stray away from NCL in the future. My last cruise on RCI (voyager) was less than stellar and maybe the worst service I have had in 7 cruises, but I will not rule out RCI in the future, the ship may have been having a bad week, and my waiter may have been having a bad decade!:D

MAC

Mac, that is just about the same thing I said a minute ago before I read yours. I would never rule out anything from one experience. How many times have we all tried a restaurant that came recommended to think it was awful the first visit. I always give a company a second chance. After two maybe never again but I agree, Darlene is so bitter with no explanation other than a vague food and entertainment awful, I think she would do herself a favor by never booking with NCl again. NMNita

MAC

Mac, that is just about the same thing I said a minute ago before I read yours. I would never rule out anything from one experience. How many times have we all tried a restaurant that came recommended to think it was awful the first visit. I always give a company a second chance. After two maybe never again but I agree, Darlene is so bitter with no explanation other than a vague food and entertainment awful, I think she would do herself a favor by never booking with NCl again. NMNita

Anyway, NCL offers the most bang for the buck for the average joe in America and I recommend it for those that want to cruise for little money and cruise often.

I have to agree with that statement 100%.

We have experienced four different cruise lines, and though no real complaints, I would have to say I prefer NCL the least BUT not enough to never book another cruise if the price is right for NY sailings as we are only an hour from the city. (Also, for what it's worth, I prefer NOT to shop at Walmart, especially those huge, crowded SUPER Walmarts!).

The bottome line is you really can't make a decision based on one or two comments on this board. It's great to hear people's opinions, but the only real way to know what a particular line is like is to try it yourself. We came to that conclusion after being Carnival cruisers for years and then read on these boards that Carnival was the WalMart of cruiselines. I never understood that because we had always had great experiences on our Fun Ship cruises. So, we thought, 'hey, if we enjoyed Carnival when it's supposed to be bottom of the barrel, we should definitely try Celebrity, which is supposed to be far superior!'

Bullcrap is all I gotta say on that.

We had a great time on our 14 day Celebrity cruise, I don't have any major complaints about it, but it didn't exceed our experience on Carnival, in fact, in many areas Carnival surpassed X.

So, we took the negative remarks we heard about freestyle and decided to ignore them (after swearing off ever trying NCL) and we booked a 15 day cruise on the Spirit. I think it's time I grow up and form my own opinion of each cruise line and I plan to try every one of them (several times if necessary;) )

For people like my husband and I, who are in love with the sea, ANY cruise is a good one.

I really don't understand why individuals here feel that anyone with a negative comment shouldn't express it. I could list the many things we had issue with on our cruise but honestly it would be quite lengthy. Suffice it to say that the food, entertainment and service were a dissapointment. Now I do believe that part of our problem was that it was a NCLA versus a NCL ship. However should that affect the food and ship policies as well? Maybe. We sailed on a Carnival ship and werent thrilled. Didn't hate it though. I would possibly try them again under the right circumstance. We also have had better and worse cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. However it was usually just minor things that we should all accept as life. We spent a lot of money on our Hawaii cruise. We are just middle class americans who save and look forward to our vacations. We were very very dissapointed with the cruise. If NCL is having that many problems with NCLA then maybe they should seperate themselves from them more or see to it that it is improved.

First impressions are very important. They made a bad one. Would I chance my $ and vacation time on another? No. Thats just me. I believe people doing research on these boards should hear from the people who had good and bad experiences. Maybe if more people felt able to express themselves with a negative comment I may not have chosen Norwegian to cruise Hawaii on. I wish that was the case. Let people express themselves so people like me can get the info they need.

Darlene

I really don't understand why individuals here feel that anyone with a negative comment shouldn't express it. I could list the many things we had issue with on our cruise but honestly it would be quite lengthy. Suffice it to say that the food, entertainment and service were a dissapointment. Now I do believe that part of our problem was that it was a NCLA versus a NCL ship. However should that affect the food and ship policies as well? Maybe. We sailed on a Carnival ship and werent thrilled. Didn't hate it though. I would possibly try them again under the right circumstance. We also have had better and worse cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. However it was usually just minor things that we should all accept as life. We spent a lot of money on our Hawaii cruise. We are just middle class americans who save and look forward to our vacations. We were very very dissapointed with the cruise. If NCL is having that many problems with NCLA then maybe they should seperate themselves from them more or see to it that it is improved.

First impressions are very important. They made a bad one. Would I chance my $ and vacation time on another? No. Thats just me. I believe people doing research on these boards should hear from the people who had good and bad experiences. Maybe if more people felt able to express themselves with a negative comment I may not have chosen Norwegian to cruise Hawaii on. I wish that was the case. Let people express themselves so people like me can get the info they need.

Darlene

I don't think that many were really blasting you too bad, but to "warn" people not to cruise a line because of one bad experience by you on a rather unique segment of the cruise line, without details about what was bad, will often get you torn apart on these boards.

We cannot in this day and age expect the products that companies advertize to be exactly like the image that they are portraying. Just look at food, it never looks like the package or the picture on a menu. Companies put their product in the best possible light to get us to buy it, it is up to us using the resources we have to make sure that these products live up to their claims. Cruise Critic is one of the best places to research a cruise. I research everything I buy, I couldn't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a cruise without reasearching it first, but that's just me, with the resources on the internet there is almost no excuse not to.

This is not flaming, maybe just a little advise.

MAC

We spent a lot of money on our Hawaii cruise. We are just middle class americans who save and look forward to our vacations. We were very very dissapointed with the cruise. If NCL is having that many problems with NCLA then maybe they should seperate themselves from them more or see to it that it is improved.

First impressions are very important. They made a bad one. Would I chance my $ and vacation time on another? No.

I agree with you. When people say you should try it again, there is no way I would risk my hard earned vacation money a second time. I do think your posting may lose some credibility however when you say you wouldn't go if it was free. I can't even fathom how bad a cruise would have to be to turn down a free one, but that's just me.

Just curious?

Do you shop at Kmart or Tiffany & Co.,:confused:

Tiffany & Co., do not usually have complaints...personalized service;)

A little OT. LOL you made me remember a story. I have shopped at K-Mart and Tiffany's. My complaint is with Tiffany's We went to buy my sister a Christmas gift. My brother-in-law asked to see some diamond studs. The counter person sniffed and said these are the smallest pair we have and they are $1000. My BIL pulled out about $10,000 in cash and said, so sorry, there goes your commission buddy. So in my opinion, screw Tiffany's.

A little OT. LOL you made me remember a story. I have shopped at K-Mart and Tiffany's. My complaint is with Tiffany's We went to buy my sister a Christmas gift. My brother-in-law asked to see some diamond studs. The counter person sniffed and said these are the smallest pair we have and they are $1000. My BIL pulled out about $10,000 in cash and said, so sorry, there goes your commission buddy. So in my opinion, screw Tiffany's.

roflmao ! ;)

I really don't understand why individuals here feel that anyone with a negative comment shouldn't express it.

Absolutely you should express it. It helps all of us if it is quantitative and not qualitative.
Suffice it to say that the food, entertainment and service were a dissapointment.

That's qualitative. I can appreciate that you didn't like it, but it doesn't help me make an informed decision because I don't know why you felt that way. I've been on ships that I don't care for the entertainment, for example, because it was "big band era" music. I have friends very similar to myself that really like one cruise line, whereas I pick it as my least favorite...whe have different tastes. That's where the "why" helps.

Now I do believe that part of our problem was that it was a NCLA versus a NCL ship. However should that affect the food and ship policies as well?

Yes, it will very much. They are 2 different companies that have to operate under different regulations (foreign vs domestic).
First impressions are very important. They made a bad one. Would I chance my $ and vacation time on another? No.

Can't blame you at all for that. However if you're trying to educate the rest of us on why we should avoid it as well, then "why" you feel that way helps us. To be honest, I'm very interested in the why so I can make an informed choice.

I've cruised every major cruise line except Normegian. I'm wondering why so many people talk so negatively about NCL. I've researched all cruise lines and they all look very similar...why the negative talk?

IMO-a lot of it is just the nature of the beast. I've been on several of these boards on at least an observational basis and they all seem to get about the same number & types of complaints. NCL might get a few more than most lines because of freestyle, & traditional cruise lovers might come here to post how they hate freestyle (even if they haven't tried it-actually this does occur here)

I bet if the lines gave away free cruises just for asking, someone on the boards would complain along the lines of "this is terrible for the profit picture".

-Monte

Absolutely you should express it. It helps all of us if it is quantitative and not qualitative.

That's qualitative. I can appreciate that you didn't like it, but it doesn't help me make an informed decision because I don't know why you felt that way. I've been on ships that I don't care for the entertainment, for example, because it was "big band era" music. I have friends very similar to myself that really like one cruise line, whereas I pick it as my least favorite...whe have different tastes. That's where the "why" helps.

Yes, it will very much. They are 2 different companies that have to operate under different regulations (foreign vs domestic).

Can't blame you at all for that. However if you're trying to educate the rest of us on why we should avoid it as well, then "why" you feel that way helps us. To be honest, I'm very interested in the why so I can make an informed choice.

I'm a bit confused about qualitative vs quantitative as I am more concerned with quality ...HOWEVER ... when it comes to NCL free-style < ducking > cruising ... it sures helps to know that if I am not impressed with the 'quality' of a particular place, there are a number 'quantity' of wonderful free-style choices !!! ;) :)

Went on our first RCI cruise in Dec. and it was just ok. The least favorite of all cruises we've been on. Nothing bad, just vanilla. But, we'll try RCI again because we were on an older ship and I think the cruise was just a fluke. Won't rule out a cruise line based on one cruise.

Here are the things I remember:

Cabin attendant

Bedspread not always put on after making in the morning

Glasses never washed or replaced without asking.

Never automatically given ice for our champagne we purchased through them and delivered to our room.

Over all service-

while walking down the hall was often barrelled through my staff with out an excuse me or how ya doing. Staff over-all not courteous.

Very difficult to find waiters on deck to order drinks

Upper deck pool bar only noticed open once during our 7 day cruise and as I mentioned, difficult to find waiters/waitress. Had to go down and across to get our own drinks most of the time.

When serviced by bar staff on two occasions was charged for something I didnt order.

Husband was waiting in coffee line in am, as it was his turn a staff member cut in front of him to fill up carafs. Then just stared at him. Mind you we NEVER had a staff member offer to fill our coffee at breakfast.

Food-

The buffet and main dining room menu was almost identical everyday, and not very good. The only thing I noticed different honestly was the salad dressing. They usually had 1 new dressing each day. There may have been a slight difference but I didn't see it. Oh and do not ask for a salad dressing from the previous night. Wouldn't do it.

Specialty restaraunt - after paying extra to go, they actually read a list of "specials" that we could get at another additional cost. Getting steak and lobster would of been I believe it was another 20.00. It may have been 10.00 however. Didn't I just pay extra to be there in the first place? Now they are hitting me up for more? I got steak and lobster in the main dining room on Celebrity and RCL.

Entertainment - We tried two nights. After that we didn't go back. I have never fallen asleep during any of the cruise ship shows and I started to on NCL. It was not just hubby and I, it was also the couple we were with. We like all types of stuff. We have always been at least mildly entertained at the shows we have gone to. Some not as much, some were awesome.

Misc - Now I know you arent suppose to bring alcohol aboard. However, I had purchased 1 bottle of hawaiian pineapple wine as a gift for my boss who loves wine. When my luggage didnt come while everyone had gotten theirs (we were one of the first people on the ship). I was worried. Finally hours later I received a note on my door to go down to some deck regarding my luggage. I went, waited in a very long line and when I got there they said they suspected me of having alcohol in my luggage. I immediately remembered the 1 bottle of wine. They acted like I had a bar set up in there. I could understand their reaction if I did. They confiscated it and said I could get it back on departure day. Well ok, it was one bottle of sovenier wine. But ok. When I collect it on departure day they have labels stuck all over it. I was not happy. This was a gift for someone. Try peeling labels off the label. Now I somewhat understand, but felt they didnt have to mess it up and they could of returned it to my room. I have purchased liquor at ports on other lines and the worst they have ever done is hold it and deliver it to our room the evening b4 departure. Thats fine by me. They are going home with me anyways, what do I care if they hold them, so long as it is returned.

PS. Boss still liked it.

These are the things I remember. It was not one incident it was an every day thing. I might mention that we always try to say hi to and talk nice to the staff. We are all very warm and friendly people. I always tipped at least the minimum. I hope that helps for those who wanted more info. I understand why you wanted more info, but knew it would be difficult to list everthing. I really do hate typing. For those that thought I was not serious about a free cruise if offered, believe it. My time is valuable. However, I do now have 3 weeks vacation so maybe I should re-think that - lol. I should never say never. Seriouly, I most likely wouldn't accept it. Does that make you guys happier that I at least said most likely?

Darlene

Here are the things I remember:

Cabin attendant

Bedspread not always put on after making in the morning

Glasses never washed or replaced without asking.

Never automatically given ice for our champagne we purchased through them and delivered to our room.

Over all service-

while walking down the hall was often barrelled through my staff with out an excuse me or how ya doing. Staff over-all not courteous.

Very difficult to find waiters on deck to order drinks

Upper deck pool bar only noticed open once during our 7 day cruise and as I mentioned, difficult to find waiters/waitress. Had to go down and across to get our own drinks most of the time.

When serviced by bar staff on two occasions was charged for something I didnt order.

Husband was waiting in coffee line in am, as it was his turn a staff member cut in front of him to fill up carafs. Then just stared at him. Mind you we NEVER had a staff member offer to fill our coffee at breakfast.

Food-

The buffet and main dining room menu was almost identical everyday, and not very good. The only thing I noticed different honestly was the salad dressing. They usually had 1 new dressing each day. There may have been a slight difference but I didn't see it. Oh and do not ask for a salad dressing from the previous night. Wouldn't do it.

Specialty restaraunt - after paying extra to go, they actually read a list of "specials" that we could get at another additional cost. Getting steak and lobster would of been I believe it was another 20.00. It may have been 10.00 however. Didn't I just pay extra to be there in the first place? Now they are hitting me up for more? I got steak and lobster in the main dining room on Celebrity and RCL.

Entertainment - We tried two nights. After that we didn't go back. I have never fallen asleep during any of the cruise ship shows and I started to on NCL. It was not just hubby and I, it was also the couple we were with. We like all types of stuff. We have always been at least mildly entertained at the shows we have gone to. Some not as much, some were awesome.

Misc - Now I know you arent suppose to bring alcohol aboard. However, I had purchased 1 bottle of hawaiian pineapple wine as a gift for my boss who loves wine. When my luggage didnt come while everyone had gotten theirs (we were one of the first people on the ship). I was worried. Finally hours later I received a note on my door to go down to some deck regarding my luggage. I went, waited in a very long line and when I got there they said they suspected me of having alcohol in my luggage. I immediately remembered the 1 bottle of wine. They acted like I had a bar set up in there. I could understand their reaction if I did. They confiscated it and said I could get it back on departure day. Well ok, it was one bottle of sovenier wine. But ok. When I collect it on departure day they have labels stuck all over it. I was not happy. This was a gift for someone. Try peeling labels off the label. Now I somewhat understand, but felt they didnt have to mess it up and they could of returned it to my room. I have purchased liquor at ports on other lines and the worst they have ever done is hold it and deliver it to our room the evening b4 departure. Thats fine by me. They are going home with me anyways, what do I care if they hold them, so long as it is returned.

PS. Boss still liked it.

These are the things I remember. It was not one incident it was an every day thing. I might mention that we always try to say hi to and talk nice to the staff. We are all very warm and friendly people. I always tipped at least the minimum. I hope that helps for those who wanted more info. I understand why you wanted more info, but knew it would be difficult to list everthing. I really do hate typing. For those that thought I was not serious about a free cruise if offered, believe it. My time is valuable. However, I do now have 3 weeks vacation so maybe I should re-think that - lol. I should never say never. Seriouly, I most likely wouldn't accept it. Does that make you guys happier that I at least said most likely?

Darlene

well you certainly were not on the same cruise as most of us: I have cruised over 20 times, 8 on NCL; never have I had spreads not pulled up (no cruise lines) always had ice with our champange, always clean glasses twice a day. As for the crew, NCL is known for having the most relaxed and friendliest at sea; You mentioned bar service by the pool and on the upper deck, most people complain about the cocktail wait staff not leaving them alone anywhere around the pool. The food at the buffet and main dining room: I know 2 other lines (both considered primium) that take pride in the fact, at dinner they serve the same thing in dining room and the buffet. Lunch may be different. The specialty dining room: yes, two of them do have extra charge meals including Lobster but even at $20 that is much less than any other specialty restaurant on any other ship. Most are not charging $30 and do not even offer Lobster. Now, why do you find this so unusual? BTW, I have never had the waiter read the special off (there is only 1 special on one restaurant and 2 on the other) The wine issue: if you knew it wasn't allowed why were you so upset when you got busted? BTW normally only one bottle will not ring the buzzer, but I guess you just got caught. I will not comment on the entertainment as this is something some love and others do not. We found the entertainment on HAL pretty bad, our opinion only.

I am sorry to pick your complaints apart but as many as you have, I find them almost unbelievable. It does sound like you were on NCLA, which isn't the same as NCL. If you are veteran cruisers which you indicate you are, I would think research would have told you they are two different companies. NMnita

well you certainly were not on the same cruise as most of us: I have cruised over 20 times, 8 on NCL; never have I had spreads not pulled up (no cruise lines) always had ice with our champange, always clean glasses twice a day. As for the crew, NCL is known for having the most relaxed and friendliest at sea; You mentioned bar service by the pool and on the upper deck, most people complain about the cocktail wait staff not leaving them alone anywhere around the pool. The food at the buffet and main dining room: I know 2 other lines (both considered primium) that take pride in the fact, at dinner they serve the same thing in dining room and the buffet. Lunch may be different. The specialty dining room: yes, two of them do have extra charge meals including Lobster but even at $20 that is much less than any other specialty restaurant on any other ship. Most are not charging $30 and do not even offer Lobster. Now, why do you find this so unusual? BTW, I have never had the waiter read the special off (there is only 1 special on one restaurant and 2 on the other) The wine issue: if you knew it wasn't allowed why were you so upset when you got busted? BTW normally only one bottle will not ring the buzzer, but I guess you just got caught. I will not comment on the entertainment as this is something some love and others do not. We found the entertainment on HAL pretty bad, our opinion only.

I am sorry to pick your complaints apart but as many as you have, I find them almost unbelievable. It does sound like you were on NCLA, which isn't the same as NCL. If you are veteran cruisers which you indicate you are, I would think research would have told you they are two different companies. NMnita

Appears to me from Darlenew17's list of cruises it was not NCL but rather NCLA PoAL 03/2006 and believable at that time. Keep in mind most people do not know there is a difference a difference and NCL marketing continues to leverage the same brand across both very different lines.

I've cruised every major cruise line except Normegian. I'm wondering why so many people talk so negatively about NCL.

First, let me start out by saying everyone has a bad day and perhaps ship crews have a bad week. On my first cruise, Norwegian Star in Hawaii, we had a horrible experience. Halfway through the cruise, my wife and I decided to have a good time regardless of NCL. Everytime there would be a screwup, we laughed. We enjoyed the food and entertainment and the Star is a beautiful ship, however, the service was lacking. Shore excursions screwed up, no communication on when to tender, waiters spilling coffee on my wife, waiters asking everyone at the table if they wanted more toast except the person that wanted more toast, asking room steward to exchange a bottle of Champaign for a less expensive bottle of red wine and him telling us that we had to take the bottle to a bar to exchange, going to a restaurant and being told the next available table is an hour from now when there were plenty of empty tables. I could go on but I choose not to at this time. Someone stated this earlier and it is oh so true, Perhaps our expectations were to high and we let it bother us. Truthfully, once we lowered our expectations, we had a great time. Would I sail NCL again, probably. If the price was right and the ports of call were right. I also know the old cliche, "A bad day on a cruise is much better than a great day at work". All of you that want to flame me remember, negative comments are good. If you don't let people know what went wrong, and in this case, why we had a bad experience, nothing will change and people could go in with unrealistic expectations. We did write a four page type written letter to NCL when we returned home. If I were deciding NCL or not, I would give them another chance.

Appears to me from Darlenew17's list of cruises it was not NCL but rather NCLA PoAL 03/2006 and believable at that time. Keep in mind most people do not know there is a difference a difference and NCL marketing continues to leverage the same brand across both very different lines.
you are right, I didn't notice the date of the sailing. I do with there was some way to separate the 2 companies instead of so many thinking they are the same. Of course some things about them are the same, but as many of us know, cruising on an American flagged ship and cruising on a ship with an international crew is totally different. NMnita

Archived