Why so many negative comments about NCL?

dexter

I never thought of NCL as the K-Mart or Walmart of cruising since it is so cheap. It isn't cheap. It is close in pricing as Princess and Carnival. RCL is higher but NCL, Princess, and Carnival are running close with actually Carnival being higher than Princess now at least on the Mexican Riviera and Caribbean routes.

Now isn't there lobster in the main no charge dining rooms? I thought there was. We're going on the Pearl this Fall.

I am perplexed as to why someone would come back to this board, go to the trouble of posting, and offer up complaints NOW based on a cruise that happened almost 12 months ago. Having said that, it's a free country, yada yada yada, please defer from telling me that "anyone can post" etc etc. I know that...my confusion rests in why someone would come back here after almost a year and complain. If you've already made up your mind that you're never sailing with NCL again, then why are you clicking onto this board? (Please note that I ask that question in a rhetorical sense.)

However, while I will not offer any support regarding the alcohol the poster was "caught with" (there's more than enough literature about this issue - we don't drink yet I knew that bringing on any alcohol was against the rules), I've read more frequently than not that NCLA has had their problems. And that's a shame because Hawaii is such a magnificent destination in and of itself. If I were to take an NCLA cruise, I already know that the ports would be my entire focus...the ship (read that "hotel" in my mind's eye) would be secondary. I've been to Hawaii several times on land vacations - the hotel has always been secondary.

Regarding some of the comments that NCL is a good bargain, well for our next cruise they were not less expensive than the other lines offering, almost, the identical intinerary in the same category.

We had a wonderful cruise on our first outing with NCL. And hopefully our next will be just as wonderful. Before our Dawn cruise the folks here shared alot of wisdom with me which came down to this: things do not always go perfectly, the cruise will be what you make of it, and, most importantly, GO WITH THE FLOW. I found that the ability to dine when we wanted to was terrific - we were not adjusting our day around a specific time. Yet I understand that other folks like that. I could have asked to be seated with the same waitstaff but we chose not to. Not because the service was bad, but we like variety in all things.

Ciao,

W A W W

Could someone explain to me who NCLA is??? What is the difference between NCL and NCLA??? Are certian ships in the fleet NCLA??? :confused:

NCLA is NCL America, a fleet of three ships (Pride of Aloha, Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii) - all with Hawaiian itineraries. They are American-flagged ships and are required by law to have a predominantly American crew. NCLA is a subsidiary of Star Cruises.

NCL is also a subsidiary of Star Cruises. NCL's fleet of 11 ships (Crown, Dawn, Dream, Gem, Jewel, Majesty, Pearl, Spirit, Star, Sun and Wind) are foreign-flagged. Since they are foreign-flagged, their crews are predominantly international. There is no requirement for a certain percentage of the crew to be American.

I do not believe that you can group a cruise line based on one ship. And you cannot say that a ship is the worst that the cruise line has based on one cruise. Every ship has it's good weeks and it's bad weeks. But I feel that IT does not matter:eek: . I am on a cruise!:eek: I am not at work! They are doing the driving, they are doing the cooking and they are doing the cleaning I am not!!!!:eek: Grouping a cruise line based on one ship is like grouping anything or anybody based on one experience. It is not fair! If you do not like the Walmart or Kmart cruiselines then try Seaborne or Crystal. My self, I wish I could afford Seaborn or Crystal. I can not so I sail NCL, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We have been sailing since 1988 and we have had excellent cruises and we have had not so good cruises. We did Carnival Triumph two years in a row on their Canada\New England cruise one year it was so, so and the next it was wonderful. So cruise, enjoy and do not look for something to complain about. Instead just enjoy that YOU ARE NOT AT WORK!

Now isn't there lobster in the main no charge dining rooms? I thought there was.

Yes, there is lobster in the main dining room at no extra charge. And there is steak. And prime rib. And beef Wellington. And escargots. And a whole lot more.

Some people just have to find something to whine about, and don't care whether it's accurate or not.

I'd never cruised on NCL, but in October found deal a single cruiser couldn't turn down! $850 for (a single) mini-suite on NCL Dawn 7-day cruise. I rearranged my vacation at work and jumped on it. While on the cruise, I tried another first. I put a $250 deposit on a future cruise (which came with some nice perks).

THE WEIRD PART TO ME was - that was October '06 - I never received any paperwork... nothing welcoming me to Latitudes... nothing informing me of future cruises to spend my $250 on. ... there isn't anywhere to send an email. when I called (they were only available M-F, 9-5) they confirmed they had my $250 on my account.

It bothers me that to this day I've yet to SEE that $250 on a piece of paper or on my internet account.

My point is many of us allow the cruiselines time to adjust and get things right; but when they don't, it IS time to step up and ask why.

I am perplexed as to why someone would come back to this board, go to the trouble of posting, and offer up complaints NOW based on a cruise that happened almost 12 months ago. Having said that, it's a free country, yada yada yada, please defer from telling me that "anyone can post" etc etc. I know that...my confusion rests in why someone would come back here after almost a year and complain. If you've already made up your mind that you're never sailing with NCL again, then why are you clicking onto this board? (Please note that I ask that question in a rhetorical sense.)

However, while I will not offer any support regarding the alcohol the poster was "caught with" (there's more than enough literature about this issue - we don't drink yet I knew that bringing on any alcohol was against the rules), I've read more frequently than not that NCLA has had their problems. And that's a shame because Hawaii is such a magnificent destination in and of itself. If I were to take an NCLA cruise, I already know that the ports would be my entire focus...the ship (read that "hotel" in my mind's eye) would be secondary. I've been to Hawaii several times on land vacations - the hotel has always been secondary.

Regarding some of the comments that NCL is a good bargain, well for our next cruise they were not less expensive than the other lines offering, almost, the identical intinerary in the same category.

We had a wonderful cruise on our first outing with NCL. And hopefully our next will be just as wonderful. Before our Dawn cruise the folks here shared alot of wisdom with me which came down to this: things do not always go perfectly, the cruise will be what you make of it, and, most importantly, GO WITH THE FLOW. I found that the ability to dine when we wanted to was terrific - we were not adjusting our day around a specific time. Yet I understand that other folks like that. I could have asked to be seated with the same waitstaff but we chose not to. Not because the service was bad, but we like variety in all things.

Ciao,

W A W W

Why wouldn't I try to inform people of my experience?? Does that make me a "negative" person. Yes it is almost a year later, but if I could change just one persons mind about cruising Hawaii on NCLA then I am a happy person. I wish I could go back in time and change what I choose. I cant. Maybe the two (NCL & NCLA) are different, but it put a very sour taste in my mouth. Reading some of the post following mine, you would think I was a liar or alcohol smuggler. What I told all of you is the actual truth. Believe it or not. I really do not care what you think. I care about those people thinking about cruising NCL to Hawaii. If there was just a incident or two I wouldn't be posting here and still be bitter. Yes I am bitter. This was a vacation I looked forward to. I accept lines are different. I know that not everything is perfect. What I listed was the abolute truth. I am sure if I gave it enough thought or asked the couple we were with, we could list more.

Yes the ports are important, however I expected much more for my money while on board.

As for the alcohol, if you read my post, I wasn't smuggling it aboard. I had purchased it the day before in Honolulu and what was I suppose to do with the soveniers I bought? I packed it. I am not upset about them taking it, but how I was treated and how I got it back. My goodness it was ONE bottle and it was a souvenir gift. I believe they took it too far. Maybe some of you think I am wrong. But really, it wasnt more then one bottle of pineapple wine. Cant anyone just say "wow, guess you had a bad experience"? Instead I am being treated as if I am lying or nit-picky. I am neither. This was MY experience whether any of you want to believe it. I am posting for the bebefit of those who are considering Norwegian for a Hawaii vaction. End of story.

I am sure that it will please some of you, I will not be posting on this thread anymore nor will I be reading it. I'm done with it.

Good sailing to all of you. Enjoy.

Darlene

Why wouldn't I try to inform people of my experience?? Does that make me a "negative" person. Yes it is almost a year later, but if I could change just one persons mind about cruising Hawaii on NCLA then I am a happy person. I wish I could go back in time and change what I choose. I cant. Maybe the two (NCL & NCLA) are different, but it put a very sour taste in my mouth. Reading some of the post following mine, you would think I was a liar or alcohol smuggler. What I told all of you is the actual truth. Believe it or not. I really do not care what you think. I care about those people thinking about cruising NCL to Hawaii. If there was just a incident or two I wouldn't be posting here and still be bitter. Yes I am bitter. This was a vacation I looked forward to. I accept lines are different. I know that not everything is perfect. What I listed was the abolute truth. I am sure if I gave it enough thought or asked the couple we were with, we could list more.

Yes the ports are important, however I expected much more for my money while on board.

As for the alcohol, if you read my post, I wasn't smuggling it aboard. I had purchased it the day before in Honolulu and what was I suppose to do with the soveniers I bought? I packed it. I am not upset about them taking it, but how I was treated and how I got it back. My goodness it was ONE bottle and it was a souvenir gift. I believe they took it too far. Maybe some of you think I am wrong. But really, it wasnt more then one bottle of pineapple wine. Cant anyone just say "wow, guess you had a bad experience"? Instead I am being treated as if I am lying or nit-picky. I am neither. This was MY experience whether any of you want to believe it. I am posting for the bebefit of those who are considering Norwegian for a Hawaii vaction. End of story.

I am sure that it will please some of you, I will not be posting on this thread anymore nor will I be reading it. I'm done with it.

Good sailing to all of you. Enjoy.

Darlene

Darlene, read what you just wrote and maybe you will understand a little better why you are getting flamed here: it is a year later, you openly admit you are trying to get people not to cruise NCL (if I change one person's mind about cruise NCL) and your not understanding the booze thing. No one kept the wine, it was given back to you at the end of the cruise and maybe this is carrying things too far, but these are NCLs rules and rules are not made to apply only to others. Again, I do think the wine policy on NCL is rediculous and it is one of the very few things about NCL I just do not like, but it is the policy. You brink it on, you will pay corkage fees or you will get it held for you if you get caught. BTW, most people do not get caught and have to report to the naughty room for one bottle. this doesn't mean it won't happen, but it is unusual.

As for posting or reading, this is your choice to make. I hope your future cruises work out better than this one did. I will add only one more thing: Get over it for heaven's sake. NMNIta

My experience with the Wind to Alaska last May. When I booked 9 months before there was alot of negative reports here. But dh and I thought we have our own bed and bathroom SO WE DON'T CARE. The reviews started getting better the closer May came.

Everyone here says free style does not work on the Wind. It did for us. Everytime we were hungry we went looking for something to eat and had no problem finding it :) One sea day we were out on deck enjoying the sun, breeze and scenery (?) trying to decide if we wanted lunch and we watched them set up the outdoor bbq. The food came to us. :D

always found food, staff to smile, and fun folks...I can go cruisin 3 times a year at the price I get there...I can't stay at a motel 6 fand eat at Luby's for that price, and I get to go to some great places...

I enjoy every trip, and point out the bad stuff( coffee on the Princess for example) but thats the point of this board, isn't it?

Been on NCL several times and enjoy it more each time, 3 WEEKS FROM NOW, WE GO AGAIN!:D The food's always been great, the service is good and the staff is real friendly! And if you got to have the booze, you can order it to your room, it'll be sitting there when you board...:)

Darlene, read what you just wrote and maybe you will understand a little better why you are getting flamed here: it is a year later, you openly admit you are trying to get people not to cruise NCL (if I change one person's mind about cruise NCL) and your not understanding the booze thing. No one kept the wine, it was given back to you at the end of the cruise and maybe this is carrying things too far, but these are NCLs rules and rules are not made to apply only to others. Again, I do think the wine policy on NCL is rediculous and it is one of the very few things about NCL I just do not like, but it is the policy. You brink it on, you will pay corkage fees or you will get it held for you if you get caught. BTW, most people do not get caught and have to report to the naughty room for one bottle. this doesn't mean it won't happen, but it is unusual.

As for posting or reading, this is your choice to make. I hope your future cruises work out better than this one did. I will add only one more thing: Get over it for heaven's sake. NMNIta

Yes..."get over it for heaven's sake" sums it up perfectly.

Ciao for now,

W A W W

NCLA is NCL America, a fleet of three ships (Pride of Aloha, Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii) - all with Hawaiian itineraries. They are American-flagged ships and are required by law to have a predominantly American crew. NCLA is a subsidiary of Star Cruises.

NCL is also a subsidiary of Star Cruises. NCL's fleet of 11 ships (Crown, Dawn, Dream, Gem, Jewel, Majesty, Pearl, Spirit, Star, Sun and Wind) are foreign-flagged. Since they are foreign-flagged, their crews are predominantly international. There is no requirement for a certain percentage of the crew to be American.

Ok, so am I to understand then, that these NCLA ships are to be avoided????

Good Day,

Hey "megessey" and others, my cruise on the NCL Pride of Hawaii last October for our 30th anniversary with my DH was so "awful", that I am gleefully booking one today with MOM to thank her giving me life. I'll be sharing my 50th birthday with her at the end of May on the Pride of America to savor a wonderful Hawaiian adventure. It'll be her first time in the islands, and I'm delighted to share her eye-opening wonderment of her enjoying the sights!

Life is exactly what you make of it ! I only wish folks could remember that and take in every day and enjoy each breath of life........:)

My DH and I are visiting Central America on the Lirica in a few months, and the posts on the "ugly american' tourists and their behavior is so shameful. It's mostly the retirees, but since I am one of them, I hate to throw the first "stick'. :o Folks just need to be more accountable for the "words" they speak , not just their actions.

Goldie AZ

My wife & I just got off the DAWN a couple of weeks ago, it was our 10th NCL cruise in the past 6 years, and our 3rd on the DAWN. I must honestly admit that in the past 6 years, the QUALITY of the food has dropped tremendously, but we have always received 5 star service from the hotel director & his staff. We will cruise NCL again, but we are not at all happy with the cost cutting done by NCL Miami, and we were told that these boards ARE read.

By the way : NCLA is having a hiring fair at the Hyatt in Cambridge MD this week.

That's a debatable point. Many people, especially recently, have posted positive comments about their NCLA cruises. The general consensus is that the focus of an NCLA Hawaiian cruise is on touring the islands, using the ship as a convenient, moving hotel.

Besides, if you're looking for an exclusively Hawaiian itinerary, the three NCLA ships are the only game in town.

Why don't you ask GoldieAZ, who, in the posting right below yours, said: "...my cruise on the NCL Pride of Hawaii last October for our 30th anniversary with my DH was so "awful", that I am gleefully booking one today with MOM to thank her giving me life. I'll be sharing my 50th birthday with her at the end of May on the Pride of America to savor a wonderful Hawaiian adventure."

My experience with the Wind to Alaska last May. When I booked 9 months before there was alot of negative reports here. But dh and I thought we have our own bed and bathroom SO WE DON'T CARE. The reviews started getting better the closer May came.

Everyone here says free style does not work on the Wind. It did for us. Everytime we were hungry we went looking for something to eat and had no problem finding it :) One sea day we were out on deck enjoying the sun, breeze and scenery (?) trying to decide if we wanted lunch and we watched them set up the outdoor bbq. The food came to us. :D

I love your outlook. I would cruise with you any time!

always found food, staff to smile, and fun folks...I can go cruisin 3 times a year at the price I get there...I can't stay at a motel 6 fand eat at Luby's for that price, and I get to go to some great places...

I enjoy every trip, and point out the bad stuff( coffee on the Princess for example) but thats the point of this board, isn't it?

HA! Ain't THAT the truth! LOL

Not at all. NOT AT ALL. They are beautiful ships, the itinerary is stunning, the experience is wonderful. You just have to realize that it will not be the same cruise experience that you've had elsewhere.

If you read all the negative reports on every cruise line or ship on these boards, you'd never cruise.

I've never had a "perfect" experience but I've never come home bitter and angry, either. Your good time is what you make of it, and with research, like on these boards, and knowledge, you should not be disappointed. Does that mean that you won't run into problems? Who doesn't? But the NCLA experience is wonderful, as long as you go in knowing that it is NOT the same as a Caribbean cruise on an internationally-staffed ship.

Read the professional reviews on the review page of Cruise Critic. Three different writers went on three different ships and wrote fairly and honestly about their experiences. It's very interesting and informative.

Jana

Read the professional reviews on the review page of Cruise Critic. Three different writers went on three different ships and wrote fairly and honestly about their experiences. It's very interesting and informative.

Jana

Thank you, I think I will!!

I do totally agree that a cruise is what you make of it. I also like to know ahead of time what to expect, just to keep my expectations in line.

I know it's being said that NCL/NCLA has been making cuts but I think that is something being done across the board on all the mass market lines. You have to take into consideration that cruising today doesn't cost much more than it did 10 years ago, but we all know how much the cost of living has gone up in those 10 years. Fuel prices alone are so much higher that I'm surprised that the cruise lines haven't increased their prices dramatically.

I think it's very smart on their part to have the restaurants on board that you pay a surcharge for...this way, the basic cost of the cruise stays reasonable for those who can only budget so much, yet the option is there for those who can afford to kick it up a notch, to have a nicer dining experience.

I would suspect any corporation which is in the process of building two very large casino resorts, one in Singapore and one in Macao, worth billions of dollars along with the two billion dollar investment for three new super cruise ships, may have some cash flow problems. After the financial restructuring, the price of its stock went up, not down, which is a very good sign of the financial health and the very deep pockets of the Genting Group. Currently the Asian marketplace is very strong, a person only needs to shop at Walmart to understand.

Since any ship's crew change out over a period of time, I don't hold much stock of any review more than three months in age. I also don't hold much stock of any person making statements of a cruise from a year ago either.

NCL is apparently having financial problems. Their parent co had to do a $200M equity infusion so they can keep paying the bills.

Their cost cutting is very apparent.

Brad, when was the last time you sailed NCL? You mention the cost cutting is very apparent. of course you are a loyal Celebrity fan which is great. we like the line as well and yet, they too have cut back and some of the reviews reflect that. With the competition so stiff all lines are making adjustments.

BTW, I am not surprised Star has cash flow problems, look at the new ships, the two that are going to be build and the resorts they are constucting. NMNita

Archived