Knowledgeable Regent cruisers: Please help me understand something odd about pricing

poss

I've been looking at a couple of Voyager cruises, trying to decide which to book. What I don't understand (and the Regent people aren't helping) is why the 10 night cruise on Sept 12 is just a very small amount more than the 7 night cruise on Sept 22. I just don't get it; it's too strange. I'd be most appreciative if someone can help me wth this little "problem." I just want to be sure that I understand the situation fully. thanks very much!

The Dover to MC is considered a "re-positioning" cruise (moving from one are (Baltic) to another (Med)). Normally, re-positioning cruises have several (to a lot) of sea days. I can't explain why this one fall in that categorry since there are only 2 sea days. We took the reverse of this last year (MC-Dover) and they had similar pricing then. I guess it could be their sales history tells them there is lower demand here ergo lower prices.

Greg

Pricing almost always comes down to anticipated passenger demand.

The Sept. 22 cruise is the basic "I want to see Italy" itinerary for which there is good demand. The Sept. 12 cruise is a bit more esoteric with many different cultures which are not really cohesive put together. BTW, I found a very similar itinerary to be very enjoyable. When you add the Le Cordon Bleu, Cousteau and Food and Wine Spotlight, the Sept. 12 cruise looks very attractive.

Also, the Dover to MC is not a repositioning cruise. It is a fairly regular offering in various forms on the Navigator and Voyager. It just so happens it is the last time the ship is doing it this year.

Weell, they don't call it a repositioning cruise, but that's really what it is, isn't it? They move the ship between the Baltic and the Med. We did the M-C Dover last June, and frankly, it was fabulous. We had two or three full sea-days plus some half-sea days. The ports were wonderful. I would do it again, especially with the great pricing that is usually attached. A little bit of France, Spain and Portugal!

Weell, they don't call it a repositioning cruise, but that's really what it is, isn't it? They move the ship between the Baltic and the Med. We did the M-C Dover last June, and frankly, it was fabulous. We had two or three full sea-days plus some half-sea days. The ports were wonderful. I would do it again, especially with the great pricing that is usually attached. A little bit of France, Spain and Portugal!

Poss,

As Greg says, the 9/12 cruise is a re-positioning cruise. Yes, it isn't labeled that , but as Wendy says, that's what it is.

There must be less demand for this itinerary, hence, they charge that reduced price.

And no, it is not a "fairly regular offering" unless you call twice a year "regular". They typically do it once in June and once in Sept. This year only Voyager is doing this kind of cruise since the Navigator never went north to the Baltics.

To me , it would be a no brainer. I would go for the 10 nights. The ports are fantastic and for basically the same price you get 3 extra nights.

Thanks for all the great replies. Only problem is that I leanred I can't get our very nice category G midship. May decide to pay the extra and book next deck up, though that seems so silly. Also, we know Barcelona and Seville very well, and know most of the Italian cities less well. I'll mull it over a while longer-- but what happy "problems."

Wendy and Greg were both on the same cruise on Voyager as I was last year (with their spouses!). It was one of the best I have taken. Everything was perfect on board. While there are no ports like Rome or Barcelona, the ports were charming as well. It was a special itinerary at a great price.

Archived