Getting alcohol home

There was another recent thread about this, but I don't know where it is. You could probably do a search to find it.

The bottom line is that you can't take alcohol on the plane. It has to be in your checked luggage. Ideas for how to pack it are varied, but everyone agrees that you should make sure it's in a zip lock or other sealed plastic bag in case the bottle breaks. Some people then wrap the bottles in dirty clothes or other clothes. Some people take along bubble wrap to use. If opened I use duct tape to make sure the cap is securely on the bottle.

Hope this helps.

You can put them in your suitcase, hope they don't break or cause your bags to be overweight. Or, I think there are some packing boxes you can purchase to check them through the airlines, or you can ship it home. None of the above really seem to make sense, if it's the "cheapness" of the liquor you're buying for!

You can buy in the airport duty free store and take on board (i.e. out of San Juan for instance). They package it and "seal" with ties. Your allowance is reduced of course and probably the price is not nearly as good as St. Thomas...but better than nothing. Last week you could get Bacardi Rum @ $7.95 per liter and they put two in a canvas tote and sealed it with cable ties.

1. Pack plenty of bubble wrapp

2. We take along two special wine boxes that are designed for air travel. We check them in with our regular luggage. Everything always makes it home safely. We purchases the boxes at specialty wine shops or vineyards. The size ranges from 2 bottles to 12. We always purchase two 6 bottle carriers, this way it is easier to carry.

We just got back from San Jaun last weekend.

We purchased 2 bottles of Peanut Rum in St Lucia. Had to pay an extra $1 to box it up. Then when we packed our luggage we put the box in the middle of our suitcase and surrounded it by other items to protect the box. Remeber to check your airlines weight limit on bags and be sure your within the amount.

However, once we got to the airport they have shops (past security check in). You can purchase alcohol with out a problem.

They allow you to carry on anything you buy after Security.

Hope this helps

I don't know if this has already been asked if so I'm sorry for asking again but I need to know with the new rules on alcohol on the planes how have you been packing your alcohol purchases to take home. Any tips would be nice.

The best way to do it is to havea non stop flight home and buy your liquor in the duty free shop after clearing security, then you can carry it on with you.

Archived