Formal Nights

taxmantoo

On Cruise Critics' own site, there is a link called Cruise Packing 101.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc

I do not want in any way to start another one of those painful "jeans" thread again but the article states that ...about half and half tuxedos to suits on formal night.

According to past experience, can frequent cruisers tell us whether or not that is accurate or reasonable. I would be very happy if it were.

Thank you.

Last July on the CB my DH wore a dark suit, he looked great!! All the men at our table had suits on, we did see a few tuxs in the dining room through. Also, at one table all the men had jeans and long sleeve shirts on. I had no problem with them, we just think it's fun dress up.

For the most part it is 60-40, 50-50, 40-60 depending on the cruise.. You will not be out of place with a dark suit or a tux..
I agree. The proportion depends on the itinerary and length of the cruise but on average, I would say it's 50/50.

On our cruise from Rio to Santiago there were more tuxes than anything else, the same on our cruise from Brazil to Rome. On the cruise of the Mexican Riviera there were more suits or sports jackets than tuxes. At my table of 8 I was the only one wearing a tux. One gentleman wore a sport coat with a turtle neck shirt. I made a point of checking the mix at the first show and 90% were suits or sports coats. This was only a 7 day cruise. My experience has been longer more exotic cruises the tuxes outnumber anything else. On shorter what might be considered "casual" cruise tuxes are greatly outnumbered. I also think that the atmosphere is changing on cruises and soon there will be no formal night.

DH owns his tux and it has more than paid for itself already...over renting. Our last cruise was 9 days and about 50-50.

I love the way a man looks in a tux....and if you can get him in a white dinner jacket? Even better!!;) ...so Cary Grant! Don't ya love it!:D

I also think that the atmosphere is changing on cruises and soon there will be no formal night.

Too bad! ...and thanks to everybody for replying. Not quite sure about the white jacket though...certainly not on spaghetti night :)

Archived