swollen feet and ankles

nhkroozer

Hi this seems to be an old thread but the subject /problem is old and new at the same time for those having swollen feet .

There have been threads on this subject before but one of the better ones (IMO) with some good explanation and some suggested remedies is on this link below: so if you have this problem you might learn something from the other thread, look at post 81:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10882849#post10882849

Wes

One way to get rid of water retention is with water . Drink lots to flush it out .

Not always safe to do, please check with your physician before you do this. In some cases, fluid restriction is prescribed.

JUst got back from LV and LA. I wore my compression socks on the plane on both trips and had NO problems during either.

Now the LV trip, I had a LOT of salt and more than a few cocktails.

The LA trip, I had a LOT of wine and salty rich foods ( I did wine country ) and had NO problems at all with my ankles or feet.

I have not had ANY bouts of gout since my surgery. prior I had at least one bout per 3 or 4 months.

Unfortunately I kicked my bare foot into a 2 x 4 and completely shattered my little toe.... but thats a story fro another time....BTW: OUCH!!!!!

Dave:eek:

I also have the problem with swollen feet & ankles. I also take a water pill (dr.prescribed not over counter) daily and my ankles still swell terribly. When I return home the swelling goes away after a day or two. I agree it must be the food on the ship. I exercise on the ship daily but still have the swelling.

Does anyone know if you can request salt free food on RCI ships?

I hope I don't run into this, as I have swollen feet on a daily basis anyway.

you probably will, but I have just learned to live with it. As for the bottled water our doctor has recently warned us about drinking too much water.

I think we do comsume more salt when cruising but I am not about to ask for salt free foods and the water pill thing: My doctor gave me a very mild one before our cruise a couple of years ago. It was so mild it didn't help one bit or very little.

The humidity and heat adds to the problems. I do think the more we move around the better we are so we try to walk as much as possible.

Nita

I get this by flying, not cruising. So I doubt for me it has anything to do with Salt or Alcohol intake as they now give you neither!! I never get it in cold climates, just warm. Usually day after a flight, I'll be walking around in a warm climate and they swell like balloons. I elevate when possible and drink a lot of water.

If you're taking diuretics for the first time during the cruise be sure to drink plenty of bottled water and eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit because diuretics will deplete your potassium levels which can be dangerous.

PLEASE pay attention to this information! While at a July convention in Phoenix one year I was advised to drink lots of water. So I did -- way too much, in fact, despite the fact I was in 115 degree heat many times per day. Because of the depletion of potassium, I ended up with a severe heart problem that could easily have cost me my life not once but many times during and afterward. My potassium and electrolytes have since been balanced again, but it took several months for my heart to recover. Definitely NOT fun.:(

Thank you for providing this crucial information, sstephy!

In addition, diuretics vary in how they affect your body. Always follow your doctor's advice while using them!

If anyone suffers from this problem of swelling of the feet and ankles, they should be seeing a doctor. This is a serious circulation condition and could be life threatening...so many on this board seem to laugh it off. I would not be conjecturing as to what is causing this to occur...it could be related to a variety of different problems and self diagnosis can be dangerous.

It is obvious though that the food served onboard for whatever length of time individuals are eating their meals on a cruise ship, is part of the culprit. It tastes so good...sure it does, it has tons of salt and seasonings to make that happen. It is most sensible to ask for a salt free diet if you suffer from swelling and bloating, and reduce alcohol consumption...don't take chances and raise your blood pressure (how many people are even aware their BP might be much higher). These problems seem to be blamed on humidity, sailing on saltwater and the ship's water supply, none of which are plausible.

If anyone suffers from this problem of swelling of the feet and ankles, they should be seeing a doctor. This is a serious circulation condition and could be life threatening...so many on this board seem to laugh it off. I would not be conjecturing as to what is causing this to occur...it could be related to a variety of different problems and self diagnosis can be dangerous.

It is obvious though that the food served onboard for whatever length of time individuals are eating their meals on a cruise ship, is part of the culprit. It tastes so good...sure it does, it has tons of salt and seasonings to make that happen. It is most sensible to ask for a salt free diet if you suffer from swelling and bloating, and reduce alcohol consumption...don't take chances and raise your blood pressure (how many people are even aware their BP might be much higher). These problems seem to be blamed on humidity, sailing on saltwater and the ship's water supply, none of which are plausible.

I don't think most of us are laughing it off. Many of us have seen the doctor, have you read the replies and how many have discussed this with their health care giver. Some people just have more problems than others. Yes, it can be a circulation problem, but not always with a clear answer. In my case, I have had the swelling problem for 50 years.

I guess you must be a doctor to be giving advise like this. You may also know more than our doctors know. Swelling when flying or cruising is a common ailment, probably affecting 50% or more cruisers.

Nita

PLEASE pay attention to this information! While at a July convention in Phoenix one year I was advised to drink lots of water. So I did -- way too much, in fact, despite the fact I was in 115 degree heat many times per day. Because of the depletion of potassium, I ended up with a severe heart problem that could easily have cost me my life not once but many times during and afterward. My potassium and electrolytes have since been balanced again, but it took several months for my heart to recover. Definitely NOT fun.:(

Thank you for providing this crucial information, sstephy!

In addition, diuretics vary in how they affect your body. Always follow your doctor's advice while using them!

Plus our doctor suggests you take any medication for a few days before leaving home just to see if you have any side reactions. Nita

every time we cruise my wife's ankles and feet swell up,

were wondering if any one else has experienced this?

My ankles (especially the left) become so swollen with each cruise, that it makes wearing shoes difficult!!! I have high blood pressure and am on medications which I think is part of the problem. The other issues are the heat and the amount of salt used in cruise food.

In April, we were on the Star Princess and my left foot was swollen to 2-3 times the size and was COVERED in blisters so much so that I had to see my doctor when I returned home. I could barely walk and had great difficulty with shoes. Hope this helps!

can'tstopcruzin

My ankles (especially the left) become so swollen with each cruise' date=' that it makes wearing shoes difficult!!! I have high blood pressure and am on medications which I think is part of the problem. The other issues are the heat and the amount of salt used in cruise food.

In April, we were on the Star Princess and my left foot was swollen to 2-3 times the size and was COVERED in blisters so much so that I had to see my doctor when I returned home. I could barely walk and had great difficulty with shoes. Hope this helps!

can'tstopcruzin[/quote']wow, and some of us complain (me that is) if our feet swell just a little. My almost 90 year old step mother has had the problem for years and yet until she was in her 80s she continued to travel everywhere she could. She too is on blood pressure medication, as well as having kidney problems.

I think more people have problems than don't. That is why there are so many articles written about swelling and traveling, often written by doctors.

Nita

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having mild swelling of my feet/ankles for about a year. I went on my cruise to Hawaii and when I got home, my feet jiggled and bounced when I moved them they were so full of fluid. I took a picture of it cuz I knew nobody would believe how bad they were.

I had my physical with my doctor 2 weeks ago - I mentioned it first to the nurse before I saw the doctor and she looked at my feet and said they don't look swollen to me - then I showed her the picture and she was shocked. Doctor said it was my potassium levels so he put me on a diuretic and I lost 5 pounds immediately in water weight but no other change since then. I still get mild swelling of my feet - like the elastic from my socks leaves an indentation and sandals too you can see where the leather strip goes. So I don't see any noticible changes. Dr. is re-evaluating in 3 months to see how its going.

I'm sure it had to do with the salt from ice etc on the ship. I don't typically eat salt, at least I don't add it to my food but I get it in processed foods and when eating out.

While discussing another medical problem with my doctor, I was surprised when she told me swelling of the feet, legs, etc., can occur anytime the relative humidity is 80% or higher. I started paying attention to the weather reports and was surprised to find out she was right!

BTW, she and I were discussing why I'd wake up with swollen feet when I turned the humidifer on my CPAP machine up from medium to the highest level...that's when she warned me never to do that again, due to the strong possiblity of fluid retention from the high amount of moisture I was inhaling.

She said that while I was on a cruise, to limit my salt intake, elevate my feet whenever possible and to drink water rather than sodas...

Hope this helps!

Cindy

DW has had problems with water retention resulting in swollen hands, feet & ankles. She was told that parsley is a natural diuretic. Next cruise she ate the bit of parsley from her plate (and mine). It worked for her.

On subsequent cruises, if parsley was not used as a garnish she would ask for some to put on her salad. Since then, no problem.

Note: DW is not on any meds and our diet doesn't really change when we are on cruises. For those on meds or having specific conditions this would obviously not apply.

Charlie

• 6 months later...

The problem is caused by additional salt intake. The water on board is desalinated, but retains a litte salt. So all the food made with water has more salt...iced tea has more salt, even the sodas have more salt.

This is easy to remedy, since swelling is not caused by the salt itself, but the ratio between sodium and potassium.

You can take potassium supplements, which will help counteract the additional sodium. Potassium can be found at most drug stores or health food stores.

Also, taking fiber supplements can help absorb excess water, and flush it out (bringing the sodium with it).

You can also drink bottled water when available, to help the kidneys remove the salt.

Finally, you can wear Crocs which will keep your feet comfortable, even if they get a bit swollen.

I'm not on a cruise and won't be going on another until April. However, for the past three days, my ankles have been so swollen (especially the left one) . . . something that has never happened to me on land before. They do swell when on cruises to the Carribbean . . . didn't happen on my cruise to Alaska or the Mexican Riviera but it's always been a problem on my Carribbean cruises for about the last five years but are always back to normal a day or two after I get home.

Anyway, finally saw my doctor yesterday and he said it might be a sign of a thyroid or liver problem! :eek: I had a physical in August and everything was fine . . . except for high blood pressure which I've been on meds for since 2006 which brings it under control. I had so much blood taken yesterday to check out any possible problems . . . I felt like a human pin cushion! Results will be in on Monday and I sure hope it isn't anything serious. :o

• 3 years later...

I wanted to bring this thread back to life as I just found it in a google search and am sure many others are suffering from this and have no idea why.

I am one of them.

I've been on 14/15 cruises in my life. I am 30. It wasn't until last year on a trip to Las Vegas that my ankles and feet merged together and became one and made it nearly impossible for me to talk.

My next trip to New York, same thing.

Then I just took a trip on the Dream. Same thing.

For my Vegas trip and NY trip, I flew. I did not fly for my cruise.

For my Vegas trip, it was a photography convention so I ate a lot of meals at the host hotel.

For my NY trip, it was to photograph a 3 day Hindu wedding. Most of the meals I ate were provided by the family.

For the cruise, I ate normal portions of food.

I do not drink alcohol.

I also don't add salt to my food for the most part when we cook at home.

But I do eat out often at home.

And this never happens to me when I am home.

Within a day of being back home, the swelling always goes away.

Such a frustrating experience! Thanks to this thread, I have some new ideas to try out and hopefully it'll reduce the symptoms for my next trip, be it by land or by sea!

Archived