Swelling

deeolasingh

Has anyone experienced swelling of hands and ankles/feet after a cruise?? cause my ankle are swollen they dont hurt they are just swollen. just wondering maybe its from the the water onboard.... I dont know...

Que Pasa Boriqua !!! No, its not the water, you might be retaining some water thou, get that checked out immediately. Im no doctor but I think that swelling of the feet could be signs of Diabetes. Someone correct me on that. Either way, get it checked out.

Fred

To the point where my feet wouldn't fit into any shoes but my flip flops (which I had to wear to dinner with my nice dresses :o ). The diuretic pills worked pretty well for me...have you tried them? I've heard this happens to LOTS of people (got on the subject over on the "Fashion & Beauty" board). Combination between the exposure to the salt water (being that everything is cooked/washed in it) AND the heat/level of activity.

If you drank alot of alcohol especiall Margarittas or Long Islands heck anything give yourself a few days drink lots and lots of water, had the same thing happen to me and just got back from the Triumph Saturday and am almost back to normal. Sitting here trying to start a review but just don't know where to start had too much fun.:D

Were you in flight? I just found this online.

Leg and foot swelling during air travel is common and typically harmless. The most likely culprit is inactivity during a flight. Sitting with your feet on the floor for a long period causes blood to pool in your leg veins. If you get up and walk around, your leg muscles contract and compress the veins, forcing blood back to your heart.

Go here and read up on it: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foot-swelling/HQ00722

My feet swell too while on board real bad. I can't wear my nice shoes either. I try to squeeze my feet into the shoes, but always have to take them off during dinner. I am thinking this happens to a lot of people. Sometimes my flip flops are tight.

Tyra

Well, if you drank alot of alcohol, especially Margarittas, long islands, really anything you WILL swell, I just got home from Triumph on Saturday, and have drank tons of water and am almost back to normal. Also, I am sure you probably ate way more than you normally do in the real world while on the ship and its takes a while for your body to adjust, get back to the fruit, (pinneapple) very good diaretic and vegis and you will soon be on the road to recovery.:D But it was worth it right? Wanting to start my review just had too much fun and don't know where to start. :eek:

If you drank alot of alcohol especiall Margarittas or Long Islands heck anything give yourself a few days drink lots and lots of water, had the same thing happen to me and just got back from the Triumph Saturday and am almost back to normal. Sitting here trying to start a review but just don't know where to start had too much fun.:D

Not to hijack this thread, but glad you had a good time. Can't wait for your review. Will be sailing the Triumph 4-14-07...Tyra:)

You asked :

" Has anyone experienced swelling of hands and ankles/feet after a cruise?? "

No - Just swelling of the waist-ial area.

Could be that your food had more sodium content than your diet is used to.

Asking CruiseCritics for opinions is risky enough; asking them for diagnoses is downright dangerous !

The salt air also causes weight gain. So it isn't your fault. Blame it on the salt air.

LOL Ill be sure to use that excuse...

Remember that if youre in a hot place, your feet will swell as normal, but the OP is back home. Could it be a form of Obessive Cruise Depression? OCD? They say the only cure is to book another cruise today !!!

Fred

I just got back home last night I started to swell on friday night after a day of drinking frou frou drinks at the beach. And yes Im looking at cruises already....:D

No problems with feet or hands, but I've noticed that my stomach tends to swell up over the course of a cruise.:)

LOLOLOL

My feet swell too while on board real bad. I can't wear my nice shoes either. I try to squeeze my feet into the shoes, but always have to take them off during dinner. I am thinking this happens to a lot of people. Sometimes my flip flops are tight.

Tyra

not really my feet too much its more my ankles.... Ill wait it out a week and see what happens... someone said it could be cause all water on board is salt water and I did drink lots of water and lots of juice which is concentrated and diluted with water...

Were you in flight? I just found this online.

Leg and foot swelling during air travel is common and typically harmless. The most likely culprit is inactivity during a flight. Sitting with your feet on the floor for a long period causes blood to pool in your leg veins. If you get up and walk around, your leg muscles contract and compress the veins, forcing blood back to your heart.

Go here and read up on it: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foot-swelling/HQ00722

Yes I did travel by air it was a 4 hour flight and we sat at the airport for 3 hours prior to boarding not to mention the 2 1/2 hour car ride home that could be it.... I will watch them closely for the next few days... I was recenty screened for diabetes and everything was where it should be Praise God....

It could be caused by the salt in the ocean getting into the air and into your body.

The salt air also causes weight gain. So it isn't your fault. Blame it on the salt air.

This is what the doctor told me-the salt in the air combined with the salt that is used in preparing the food. I have had this problem on several cruises. The doctor changed my Blood Pressure Medicine and my new meds include a diuretic and this helps a lot.

The water on board is not salt water - - just the pool water. But, the food has quite a bit of sodium added to it. Imagine eating Chinese food everday for week. Tasty but it is not surprising that you retain water. Drink water at home to flush your system. If you still have the swelling after a week I would contact your doctor.

The water on board is not salt water - - just the pool water. But, the food has quite a bit of sodium added to it. Imagine eating Chinese food everday for week. Tasty but it is not surprising that you retain water. Drink water at home to flush your system. If you still have the swelling after a week I would contact your doctor.

It is salt sea water that is used for everything on board it just goes thru a desalination process but the sodium levels are still in the water just the salty taste is gone.... I learned this while cruising on princess the is not enough storage space on the ship for the gallons and gallons of water that would be needed for everyone on the ship, passengers as well as staff...

It is salt sea water that is used for everything on board it just goes thru a desalination process but the sodium levels are still in the water just the salty taste is gone.... I learned this while cruising on princess the is not enough storage space on the ship for the gallons and gallons of water that would be needed for everyone on the ship, passengers as well as staff...

Makes sense.

I am 34, I swell up every time. In May while on the Conquest was the worst ever, but I was drinking a lot of dirty martinis......and dancing until 3am. Add to that saltwater, lots of walking, and different foods I guess it just adds up. It always goes away, but it can be quite painful after a long day. I just slept with my legs propped up on pillows and it was better in the morning.

Archived