Swelling

deeolasingh

I believe you're supposed to drink lots of water and exercise when you swell up like that. If you are retaining water, it may be because your heart isn't pumping it away fast enough (so you puff up). If you exercise, your heart will pump enough to remove the excess water. Or...If you drink more water, you can let your body know that there is more than enough fresh water, so it will naturally start dumping it out.

am on lasix.(for past tikker prob).so that is controlled..but Dammitol...my clothes shrink...!!! anyone else with THAT problem???..but lucky, when I stop eating 14 x a day, and I wash the clothes..all is back to normal..but alas must suffer that again 14 days from today! Past Ctuise director Alan Kent, TSS Fairwind used to say that the salt air would shrink his pants..so I also suffer..but what a way to enjoy it!!!

It is salt sea water that is used for everything on board it just goes thru a desalination process but the sodium levels are still in the water just the salty taste is gone.... I learned this while cruising on princess the is not enough storage space on the ship for the gallons and gallons of water that would be needed for everyone on the ship, passengers as well as staff...

Not exactly. The desalination process removes the salts NaCl from the water (not just the salty taste). The reverse osmosis process removes almost all the salt from the water. There is only a very small amount of sodium remaining in the water. If you use a water purification system at home (or buy purified water) there is often some sodium Na remaining in the drinking water. Here's a site with some information on desalination used on cruise ships. http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment/goldcoastwater/EBWS_FS4.pdf

I've never heard of absorbing salts through the air. Swallowing seawater when snorkeling would do it. Also being dehydrated from the sun/heat alcohol and eating salty foods.

This is what the doctor told me-the salt in the air combined with the salt that is used in preparing the food. I have had this problem on several cruises. The doctor changed my Blood Pressure Medicine and my new meds include a diuretic and this helps a lot.

I take a BP med with a diuretic and STILL swell on cruises. Next time I see my Dr. I'm going to ask her for a diuretic to take while crusing! I just put on a pair of shoes and they were so loose! I couldn't figure out why until I realized that they are my cruise dress shoes and they've stretched.

I try to exercise and drink bottled water while cruising and it doesn't seem to matter if I drive or fly to port. So annoying.

I had never had this happen until our last cruise in December. It was just the ankles and I did not even notice it until hubby said "look how swollen your ankles are".

It went away after I drank more water (and less alcohol) and elevated by feet for awhile.

guess I am just getting old....

Not exactly. The desalination process removes the salts NaCl from the water (not just the salty taste). The reverse osmosis process removes almost all the salt from the water. There is only a very small amount of sodium remaining in the water. If you use a water purification system at home (or buy purified water) there is often some sodium Na remaining in the drinking water. Here's a site with some information on desalination used on cruise ships. http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment/goldcoastwater/EBWS_FS4.pdf

I've never heard of absorbing salts through the air. Swallowing seawater when snorkeling would do it. Also being dehydrated from the sun/heat alcohol and eating salty foods.

Well thats what I was told while on princess.... they said that eventhough you didnt taste the salt it was still in there... While on my first cruise I didnt drink any water (only bottled), tea, coffee or juice while on the ship The only intake of the ships water I had was whatever was used for cooking and I had no swelling what so ever. this last cruise I did drink water, tea, coffee and plenty of juice so while there may not be a whole bunch of sodium NA in the water when you intake enough of it as I did I guess it will cause some kind of swelling and as far as alcohol goes if I had 4 drinks on my entire vacation which happen to be 10 days long I had alot Im not a drinker so in my opinion I think the swelling came from the water on the ship.... well anyways 2 days off the ship and my ankles are almost back to normal

To the point where my feet wouldn't fit into any shoes but my flip flops (which I had to wear to dinner with my nice dresses :o ). The diuretic pills worked pretty well for me...have you tried them? I've heard this happens to LOTS of people (got on the subject over on the "Fashion & Beauty" board). Combination between the exposure to the salt water (being that everything is cooked/washed in it) AND the heat/level of activity.

Mama, do you think the food is cooked in salt water and clothes washed in it? Or am i reading this wrong?:eek:

And how do you explain active people in warm climates who live on the coastline and dont suffer from this malady? I think we need a medical opinion here, is there a doctor in the house??:confused:

I get swelling of feet & ankles everynite on cruise (after dinner & show).

I had two hip replacement surgeries and have experienced this both b-4 and after the surgeries. Looser socks have helped some. But there still is noticeable swelling. I drink beer, so I know it's not saltwater in my beer.

I get swelling of feet & ankles everynite on cruise (after dinner & show).

I had two hip replacement surgeries and have experienced this both b-4 and after the surgeries. Looser socks have helped some. But there still is noticeable swelling. I drink beer, so I know it's not saltwater in my beer.

All of the food you eat onboard is washed and cooked with it. ;)

:mad: Swelling comes from water retention-salt is most of the issue-drinking alcohol and not enough water-but if you drink water and eat fries all day-pizza etc then you will not get rid of all that water-never heard of being in salt water or salt in the air making you swell-maybe someone could do a research project on that 1--l.o.l.:D :D :p

My sister and I get "Cankles" every cruise. Never fails. :(

We drink a whooooooooole lot, but we also drink a lot of water. By the end of the week, we're looking through everyone's shoes to see what fits.

I find that the "cushions" on the back of the couch are good to elevate the feet at night... :)

One cruise, a fellow passenger laying out next to me commented on my ankles. I told her "That's 100% pure bacon..." :D

It could be caused by the salt in the ocean getting into the air and into your body.

The salt air also causes weight gain. So it isn't your fault. Blame it on the salt air.

My swelling comes from to many late night pizza's and Ice cream.:)

And the swelling never goes down:rolleyes:

It is salt sea water that is used for everything on board it just goes thru a desalination process but the sodium levels are still in the water just the salty taste is gone.... I learned this while cruising on princess the is not enough storage space on the ship for the gallons and gallons of water that would be needed for everyone on the ship, passengers as well as staff...

i've read this too.

i've not had any problems with swelling, but my wallet seems to have shrunk some.

This past cruise DH's hands and feet were very swollen after about 5 days on the cruise. We did eat seafood on a daily basis and also spent a lot of time in the water, during all of the shore excursions that we took, Which was more than previous cruises, took a couple of days after getting back to good Ole Mile High the swelling went down and he was back to normal after about 4 days.

Ok I can't stand it... I have to post ... I have posted on this before... It has to be the water on board...I don't know how much NaCl is removed from the water in the purification process but there is still quite a bit of minerals left in that water... whenever I have cruised from florida (3x) I swell up quite a bit.. have to wear flip flops by 3rd day.. and the MORE ship's water I drink the WORSE it gets,I do not drink more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day so I don't think that causes it.. I am not a sun worshipper.. well the last time we cruised out of NYC, I decided this wasn't going to happen again.. so I brought on a huge case of Poland springs... and we all drank about three bottles a day.. no swelling what so ever!! did all the beachy things, drank alchol and ate normally...!! From now on that is what I am going to do it worked for me..:)

Had my feet and ankles swell up both of my cruises...the first we had the kids and I hardly drank....second I drank more (no kids). I thought is was from being sun-burnt the first cruise.....so the second cruise I sun lotioned my legs like crazy....and they were still swollen.

Both times it went away after a few days at home....I think it's because of the climate more so than anything else

It's not going to stop me from going...have two more booked.

I bet you're fine in a day or two.

Try adding Fresh lemon to your water!

It must be fresh not from concentrate.

Lemon is a natural diuretic. It will help you get rid of that excess fluid quicker.

Try it............. Works for me!

Thanks BigD I will definitly try that on my next cruise... I didnt drink straight water from the ship but I did consume a lot of juice which is mixed with the water so Im thinking that is was cause it but Im glad to say my ankles are back to normal....

Has anyone experienced swelling of hands and ankles/feet after a cruise?? cause my ankle are swollen they dont hurt they are just swollen. just wondering maybe its from the the water onboard.... I dont know...

Dee Dee it happened to me on my Celebrity cruise last year. I did go to the doctor when I got home and I was checked out and was told that there might have been more salt in the food on board then what I normally am use too. ~ Els

That's so weird that you mentioned that! I did have swelling in my ankles on the last few days of my last cruise and for several days after getting back home. I broke my leg down near my ankle several years ago, and it swells up occasionally, so I didn't think much about it, but it was strange that my "good" leg got swollen too. I had no idea why.

Archived