Swelling

deeolasingh

elsje hit the nail on the head!

It's the SALT in the food. We experience that after the first meal on board. Actually, we go a day early and start experiencing it before we even board, from eating restaurant food. Most people are used to eating at home and not having that much salt in their diet.

This has happened to me on many, many cruises in the past. I have finally detected the cause --

The soups and salad dressings have a lot of salt in them. Once I stopped having soup at dinner and their dressings, I had no problem. I just get oil & vinegar or lemon for my salad. Even though I love soup, I no longer enjoy it on ship.

We've done a lot of cruising (54) and it took a while to discover what my problem was since I don't normally swell unless I'm eating very salty foods (ham, bacon, deli meats). But on ship, it would start about the 2nd day.

• 2 months later...

We cruised in the beginning of this month and my ankles looked like I was 9 months pregnant... :( My hands were fine...

I'll definitely get a prescription for a diuretic for our next cruise.

Luckily I had a "back up" pair of dressy shoes with me but they weren't as nice as the shoes I couldn't get my fat feet into!

Like Jean (above) said, I think it has to do with the chemicals that they use to purify the water on board. I remember seeing a thread about this on another message board. The chemicals and leftover stuff in the water (not just that you drink, but that they make ice with, cook your food in, in the iced tea, coffee, everything) can make you swell up like a balloon. :o

Like Jean (above) said, I think it has to do with the chemicals that they use to purify the water on board. I remember seeing a thread about this on another message board. The chemicals and leftover stuff in the water (not just that you drink, but that they make ice with, cook your food in, in the iced tea, coffee, everything) can make you swell up like a balloon. :o

If you do a search on reverse osmosis (the sytem used to desalinate water onboard ship) I think you will find there are far fewer chemicals in the final product than you find in your home tap water or most ``purified'' bottled waters found on the market today. Purified water from reverse osmosis is about as pure as you can get.

My fingers and ankles have always become swolen on vacations, land as well as cruise journeys. Have been told it is due to a change in diet (What diet? I'm force fed on a cruise) as well as a change in daily routine.

It's so easy for people to blame the ship's water as cruisers understand the ship desalinates sea water for use on the ship. Yet they forget how much their diet and daily exercise program changes while they are on vacation.

Previous poster who posted fresh lemon is a natural directic is correct and fresh parsley will also aid in eleminating water retention. Waiters always look at me strangely when I request a bowl of fresh parsley with my salad in the dining room. However the parsley works and helps keep the swelling at a minimum. Does the same job as over-the-counter diruetics. I'd rather use natural products like lemons and parsley than take a man-made pill any day.

Dianne

Dianne, thank you, I didn't realize they used reverse osmosis, just took for granted what I read on the other board. So much for heresay. I think that the posters there were specifically targeting ONE chemical that caused swelling. I'm not going to comment on it, because I don't remember what it was, and don't want to give wrong info.

I have a problem with Lymphademia in my legs ...

Lymphedema (AmE), also known as "Lymphoedema" (BrE), or "lymphatic obstruction", is a condition of localized fluid retention caused by a compromised lymphatic system

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphedema

A site for people with lymphedema, made by people with lymphedema. We're glad you found us! Come look around...

from

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/

Dianne, thank you, I didn't realize they used reverse osmosis, just took for granted what I read on the other board. So much for heresay. I think that the posters there were specifically targeting ONE chemical that caused swelling. I'm not going to comment on it, because I don't remember what it was, and don't want to give wrong info.

Was once told at a weight loss clinic to avoid caffinated beverages when water retention is a problem. Unfortunately I've never seen that that helped much. I'll stick to the parsley and lemon and refrain from over eating on naturally salty foods - well, will limit eating too many naturally salty foods. Got to have my fix of pizzas on Carnival. They're terrific.

Dianne

It happens to me every time that I cruise. My feet swell! I even take diuretics but the doc says that this is normal to happen with all of the slat in the water and the salt air. Pitiful!

I had swollen hands and feet too. It is a combination of the water and the salt in the food. Drink lots of water with lemon. If you can get cranberry juice that will help too. A gallon of water a day is good. You will get rid of more than a gallon in the process (if you know what I mean). Good luck. Your doctor can give you diuretics for cruises if you need it.

Cantaloupe is also a diuretic.

About swimming in salt water....soaking or bathing in salt water will help decrease the swelling...as long as you are not drinking the salt water.

Think about how shrively your fingers look after being in the water for a while.

As I posted before it is the salt water from the ocean mixing with the air and then into the body to cause water retention, swelling and weight gain. So it is not your fault when one gains pounds.

So then all of us that live here on the ocean in eastern long island should have fat ankles??? LOL

What about the pacific? does that have less salt content in the air on the shores of california :p

According to your theory, all you should see is a bunch of people with fat ankles...lol :rolleyes:

So then all of us that live here on the ocean in eastern long island should have fat ankles??? LOL

What about the pacific? does that have less salt content in the air on the shores of california :p

According to your theory, all you should see is a bunch of people with fat ankles...lol :rolleyes:

Mary, I stand corrected . You are of course correct. I tip my hat to you.

Seriously I walked on water balloons last cruise and wore flip flops to formal night. First cruise I ever felt it was really time to come home - last day the flip flops were too tight!

Thanks for posting, Dee. I picked up some good ideas.

Has anyone experienced swelling of hands and ankles/feet after a cruise?? cause my ankle are swollen they dont hurt they are just swollen. just wondering maybe its from the the water onboard.... I dont know...

Maybe it's the "salt peter" in the kool aid?? :D If you've ever been to boot camp you'll get it.:cool:

This is what the doctor told me-the salt in the air combined with the salt that is used in preparing the food. I have had this problem on several cruises. The doctor changed my Blood Pressure Medicine and my new meds include a diuretic and this helps a lot.

The salt air also causes your clothes to shrink! :-)

Went on our first cruise in December '06 and by the second day, my ankles and feet were a little swollen.

By day 3 and 4, my feet and ankles were not only swollen but painful to walk on. Talked to my cabin steward who recommended I drink more water with squeezed lemon juice (just ask for a bowl of fresh cut lemons to add to the water at dinner) and within hours my feet were better.

Seems this happens frequently while onboard. Also, I ate ALOT of shrimp which might add to the problem. Not allergic to it, but I think I ate more than my body was used to.

Good rule of thumb to sleep every night with feet elevated and drink lots of lemon water! Worked for me!

Maybe it's the "salt peter" in the kool aid?? :D If you've ever been to boot camp you'll get it.:cool:

A popular misconception is that potassium nitrate is an anaphrodisiac and was added to food in all-male institutions. In fact, potassium nitrate has no such effect in humans.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

Does saltpeter suppress male ardor?

from

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_221.html

WOW !!

I think that this might be a major problem for me... :(

Maybe I will mention it to my dr ahead of time ,

to see what he suggests.

I have a problem with Lymphademia in my legs ...

so UH OH for me...:rolleyes:

I also have Lymphedema, and I'm wondering how this "normal" swelling is going to play into all of this. Will definitely need to have a chat with the doctor about this.

I guess I may not be able to skip the compression garments as much as I was hoping to while on board.

I do have a prescription diuretic that I take when things get a bit out of hand. However, it makes me far more sensitive to UV rays...not a good thing in the Caribbean, I'd say. Does anyone know if the OTC water pills also have this side effect? :confused:

Archived