Balcony much better than just a window?

I am going on my second cruise, and taking my dtrs on their first. We will be on ROS March 18th. I booked a 2nd deck OV cabin. It would be $600 more to upgrade to Superior OV with balcony. For those of you who have been on ROS or any RCL ship, is it worth an extra $600 for the balcony? What are your opinions? Thanks for your help! Nursecruiser

I won't sail in anything less than a JS--so I'm all for the balcony! It's a totally different experience have access to the outside--without going into the public areas.

I don't see much difference between and inside and a non-balcony OV--bot are really, really tiny. The window doesn't really provide much of a view--just natural light.

You know your budget--I recommend the very best room you can afford.

It really is up to the individual. Once we tried the balcony we were hooked. We really enjoy sitting on it and watching the scenery.

On the other hand there are lots of public spaces to sit and watch the scenery.

Its up to you if the $600 is worth it!

We have to have a balcony. For a short 3 days cruise, I might be able to deal without, but it would be hard for me. I like having the fresh air, and having windows that don't open makes me crazy. Balcony is the only way to cruise for me.

You don't say how old your daughter are but if you have a balcony and they are of an age where they nap you have a place to go hang out while they are napping. If they are older you ALL have "another" room to go to.

If it won't break the bank I would definitely upgrade, but be warned you will never want to go back.

Balcony all the way! If I only had the choice of interior and OV, I would just do interior. The little port hole window doesn't allow for very much viewing!! Just my opinion!
I don't know what ship you were on, but my Explorer OV on deck 2 had a port hole that was at least 3-4 ft in diameter

Balcony all the way! If I only had the choice of interior and OV, I would just do interior. The little port hole window doesn't allow for very much viewing!! Just my opinion!

Pretty much my thinking as well...

Though I've cruised in OVs and Suites, my usual choice comes down to "inside" vs. Balcony, depending on the price...

I'm not in the cabin much except to sleep, use the bathroom or change clothes...The view out the window is pretty much always the same: Black and nothing...Might as well have an inside...

But, if the price isn't drastically more (and that's a different standard for each of us), then I'll go for the balcony...since it's more "space"...somewhere else to go while inside your accomodations...private lounging area if you don't want to fight the crowds on the pool deck on an at-sea day...and it makes the whole room FEEL bigger...

But a small window really adds nothing...

The OV cabins and inside cabins on most ships are generally identical...except for that small window with the black empty view that doesn't open anyway...

Remember, ALL of the cabins visit the same ports, eat in the same dining room, see the same entertainment, etc.

Is $600 too much to pay extra for that balcony? Depends on YOU, your finances, the itinerary (how many days at sea?) and more...

Good luck...

If the additional cost isn't an issue, by all means take the balcony. Since we tried it, we won't cruise without it.

Coffee/breakfast in the morning, quiet time in the fresh air, leaning on the rail, without getting jabbed with elbows or shoved from behind, to watch the ship arrive or depart from a port.

You can do all those things with hundreds of others on deck, or privately. It's nice to have the option.

It is nice to be able to check out the views of the islands as the ship apporoaches and departs the islands. It's also neat to watch for other ships on the ocean as you cruise. The price does pinch a bit, to be honest. That is why we go evey 18 - 24 months instead of once a year.

When people say that they don't spend much time in their cabin, I have the think that i wouldn't either if I was in a smaller room without a window.

We are balcony travelers as well.. nothing like the early morning coffee in a quiet and peaceful environment., we love to sleep with the balcony door open for the sea breeze and lulling sea sounds outside. I love when I wake up at 3 or 4 am and want to sit out side for a bit. I am also a smoker, and do not smoke in the cabin as it is small and do not want to fill my little cabin with smoke (I have kids) so the balcony is perfect and well worthit to me on all sailings, regardless if its 3 nights or 7 nights...

I am going on my second cruise, and taking my dtrs on their first. We will be on ROS March 18th. I booked a 2nd deck OV cabin. It would be $600 more to upgrade to Superior OV with balcony. For those of you who have been on ROS or any RCL ship, is it worth an extra $600 for the balcony? What are your opinions? Thanks for your help!

Nursecruiser

What ship is ROS????

Been in two oceanviews and one balcony...... yep balcony gets my vote.

But I do disagree that an oceanview doesnt provide much view. Both our "windows" were easily 3-4 feet across. I would wake up really early and watch the sun come up with my head slid under the blackout curtain so not to wake dh :p Rather not go if I am in an inside cabin ....jmo

On the balcony we would pre-order (with the card you hang on your door) our coffee, juice and toast and bagels and have a leisurely morning on our balcony IN OUR JAMMIES !!!!! Nothing better :D

I guess it depends on your finances for sure but also your outlook of it. How much did you actually spend on the cruise? How many in the room and ages? Are you early risers that like to lounge in the AM or PM or do you get out of bed and go right to the gym and activities and then come back at 10pm and go to bed? If you never have been in a balcony room, you do not know what you are missing so if $600 is a lot more then the initial cost of the OV room, and you plan on being very active and barely in the room, then I would consider saving that money and put it towards my room credit. There are many times a balcony is not that much more then an OV - on certain ships at certain times. On your next cruise you could look into that.

I don't think you should not consider the balcony. It is great but you have to weigh your options. I am just looking at the flip side for you - basically to confuse your decision.:D

I just booked our first cruise this week . I never thought we would ever go on one because it just did not interest me. BUT, we went to Key West last March and when I saw that cruise ship with those balconies........ I was hooked. It was The Jewel of the Seas and what a sight she was. I told my husband I could definately see us taking a cruise and the balcony is what sold me ! We booked a Junior Suite on the Enchantment.

I have sailed only 4 times, and always have had a balcony. I love them. However, like many, I am hooked on cruising and want to go as much as possible. I'm sailing solo, and I found a steal on a trip in April, and the difference between OV and the Balcony was $800...usually the difference is about 200-300; I am only paying 700 for my OV, so I couldn't justify spending more than my trip itself just for the balcony. So like others have said, depending on your finances and how often you plan to sail, get the balcony if possible, but if you get a tremendous deal like I did, I suggest not passing it up. The amount I'm saving on the OV will literally almost pay for another trip. Either way, you'll have a great time :D

Archived