Boston port to down town

hylasgirl

Hi! I am looking for some information on what my options are to get into town from the dock? I have been to Boston but I don't know where the ship docks. I want to get to the area of town where the Freedom Trail starts or over to the USS Constitution and begin the trail there. Is there some sort of water taxi that I can take right from the port over to the USS Constitution? Can you walk to down town from the docks?

Thanks for any information.

Hi,

I'm not aware of a water taxi to the Constitution. You could walk to downtown, but it would be a long walk. At least, I guess, a 1/2hr. It's probably less than a $10-15 cab ride at the most. Ask them to take you to the State Street T station(subway). There is a map right outside that'll show you the Freedom trail. To the left is a building that on the bottom floor has the National Park store where you can get a map for the Freedom Trail and other items. If you go to the back of State Street station you'll be on Washington St. Take a left and you'll find the downtown shopping. At State Street station, to the right of the entrance, go across to the busy street down the slight hill it'll take you to Fanueil Hall. Hope this helps.:)

The water shuttle (inner harbor ferry) goes from Long Wharf, by the Aquarium, to the Charlestown Navy Yard. It costs $1.70 per ride, and you can pay with cash as you board. Schedule information is at mbta.com (click on the "boats" logo).

For information on the Freedom Trail, go to http://www.npa.gov/bost

Make sure you check on the operating hours for the USS Constitution. The ship is closed for tours on some days.

Thanks everyone... I was just in Boston in November and walked the Freedom Trail. It was great... the city was beautiful. I just wasn't sure where the port was located in relation to the area where the aquarium is?? We will probably opt for a taxi, I was just wondering how close the port was.

Thanks again and I can't wait to get back to the seafood!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! I am looking for some information on what my options are to get into town from the dock? I have been to Boston but I don't know where the ship docks. I want to get to the area of town where the Freedom Trail starts or over to the USS Constitution and begin the trail there. Is there some sort of water taxi that I can take right from the port over to the USS Constitution? Can you walk to down town from the docks?

Thanks for any information.

the subway is the best way to get around boston

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Silverline bus. We were off the ship before the more expensive ships shuttle started anyway. It was very convenient and it gave us the option of returning from many metro stops. We walked the freedom trail and toured the Paul Revere house, Old North Church, Holocaust Museum, Quincy Market, Visitor Center movie, cemetary (one of the most interesting I've ever seen), and toured the Capital Building. There is also a free walking tour from the Visitor Center that we did not take because I don't like guided tours. We never made it to the Constitution. This was a wonderful day that cost less then $10 each. Just be sure to bring your walking shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our cruise ends in boston. We want to do a short tour of freedom trail but will have our luggage. Any ideas of what to do. I hate to go from Falcon cruise terminal to Logan to drop off luggage and then from Logan to Freedom trail. thanks for your insight.

I was watching to see if anyone had any advice for you, because I couldn't think of a way for you to do this! Your best option would be to stay in a downtown hotel for the night. You can walk the Freedom Trail in two hours, but you won't have time to look inside any of the sights that interest you. You will spend a lot of time sitting in traffic on a trolley tour.

Another option would be to see if your cruise ship offers a tour when you disembark. You put your luggage in the bus, take the tour, and then the bus takes you and your luggage to the airport. My husband and I have done this a couple of times in other ports, when our flight didn't leave until later in the day.

I don't know of any place where you can check your luggage downtown. Boston is really conscious of unattended luggage, backpacks, etc. The trip to Logan to check your bags and come back downtown could take at least an hour or two. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
We walked off the ship toward the area with cabs' date=' met another couple and shared a ride to Fanueil Hall. It was about $10 for the 2 of us. Much cheaper and more convenient than taking the ship's shuttle that we did 4 years ago.[/quote']

Kathy were cabs at the pier plentiful? Also when you were done were you able to easily flag a cab back to the pier??

Thanks

We didn't rush to get off the ship so things had settled down a little and getting a cab (and a couple to share) was easy. There are signs near Faneuil Hall as cab stands and we had no trouble getting one.

If you walk the Freedom Trail to the North End to Paul Revere's house look at some of the small restaurants there for great deals. Fall 2006

2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $20!

Thanks Kathy

Just the info I needed.............I may have more questions as we get closer so keep checking if you don't mind.

Thanks again

Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We ate at Quincy Market. It is like one giant food court with tons of choices. The only problem is that there is not seating there, so you have to go out of the building to find seating. I don't think seating was plentiful, but there were lots of benches in front of Fanueil Hall which is next to Quincy Market.

In case you want more specific directions in getting to the Freedom Trail by Silverline bus, I just got around to posting a review of my trip from last October. We were on the Constellation. We did everything on our own, so this is a good reference if you don't want to do a lot of ships excursions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=members&MemberName=egg

We are there in September and had the same questions as you. I work in a hopsital with many doctors that had their formal education at Harvard and they still couldn't tell me how far to the Freedom Trail to the pier. ha! Well, all the links and advice really helped out. thanks all!

We are there in September and had the same questions as you. I work in a hopsital with many doctors that had their formal education at Harvard and they still couldn't tell me how far to the Freedom Trail to the pier. ha! Well, all the links and advice really helped out. thanks all!

LOL, true... I've lived here all my life and have to look at a map on how to get anywhere from the pier. Now from my home or Harvard Square I could tell you anything. The pier is in an area not well travelled by peeple living here. It's probably because we never have to arrive at the pier so it is foreign to us as well. .

I should have added just take the silver line on the T. The freedom trail can be picked up at a variety of different stops.

here'e the T map

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

here's a good article abput our subways and attractions

http://www.shermanstravel.com/destinations/spotlight_on/Boston/Attractions

In case you want more specific directions in getting to the Freedom Trail by Silverline bus, I just got around to posting a review of my trip from last October. We were on the Constellation. We did everything on our own, so this is a good reference if you don't want to do a lot of ships excursions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=members&MemberName=egg

I've been away from the boards for a while, but just found this report. I enjoyed it very much and particularly the detailed info about the independent sight-seeing. I have copied and pasted the whole thing in my electronic notebook to have as a reference. Our cruise will go to Charlottetown and "maybe" to Newport. I have just read a post that said that "Mystic Seaport" may be substituted. That isn't the name, of course, (I can't recall it) but that is the attraction there.

I was surprised that your ports were different than ours as it's the same time of year.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm sure it will be very helpful for many people.

I've been away from the boards for a while, but just found this report. I enjoyed it very much and particularly the detailed info about the independent sight-seeing. I have copied and pasted the whole thing in my electronic notebook to have as a reference. Our cruise will go to Charlottetown and "maybe" to Newport. I have just read a post that said that "Mystic Seaport" may be substituted. That isn't the name, of course, (I can't recall it) but that is the attraction there.

I was surprised that your ports were different than ours as it's the same time of year.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm sure it will be very helpful for many people.

I think that would be New London, CT, Brahmama. Mystic is a seaport town a few miles away.:)

I don't know if this is information anyone needs but we recently took a cab from North Station to the Black Falcon terminal and it was $13 one way and $10 back. This may give you an idea of cab fare- Boston is small and if you want to go someplace like Fanueil Hall or the Aquarium it's pretty cheap to get there by cab and they are lined up outside the ship.

Barb

Archived