Traveling Solo

wuv2cruise

Hi Everyone:

Wow, am I glad I found this forum. I am thinking about booking a get away solo cruise in the near future. I am a little apprehensive about trying to cruise solo (been on 5 cruises, all with hubby). This forum has helped ease my nerves a little bit.

My question is how do you all handle getting to your port city. I always fly in the the day before, to allow extra time in case of flight issues and delays. I am not comfortable taking a cab by myself. The cruise I am looking at is out of Tampa. I have found hotels that have shuttles from the airport, but not to the port. Or they have shuttles to the port, but not to the airport. Should I try to find a shuttle service rather than using a cab? Or do I fly in the day of the cruise and chance no problems occuring with the flight?

Please help ease my fears!

Thanks in advance

Wuv2cruise,

Any particular reason you won't take a cab? I've taken numerous cabs in Tampa and other cities; not had a bit of trouble.

Maybe you could find a downtown Tampa hotel that would pick you up at the airport. The day of the cruise you could strap your luggage on your back and walk to the cruise terminal. :D

Roz

Roz:

I suppose I could strap my luggage to my back! :D

I have heard some not so nice stories about solo females having issues with cab drivers (ie locking the doors, arguing about the fare, not letting the passanger out, taking off with person still in cab). I am not used to taking cabs, but I guess I wont get comfortable with it unless I do start using them more.

I've heard about the situations you're describing occuring in foreign countries. In most US cities, and Tampa is one of them, cabs are regulated. Fares and policies are posted in the cabs, and there are numbers you can call or places where you can file a complaint if you weren't treated right.

Granted, if you're being held against your will, calling or writing someone may not be an option right then. :D

Before getting in the cab, you have a right to ask about the fare. For instance, here in Nashville, there's a flat fee set by the cab licensing commission for trips between the airport and downtown and the airport and Opryland. They can't run the meter.

Another thing, when you get in the cab, they should radio in to the dispatcher where they're going. That way there's a record of the time and location of the trip.

In my city, the cab drivers are in more danger than the passengers. I haven't heard of any cab passengers being harmed, but more than one driver has been killed or injured by a passenger.

Foreign countries are another matter for another day.....

Roz

Welcome to the fun solo travel world! :)

I'm a big fan of shared ride shuttles and mass transit. Better for the environment and cheaper too. I know people have varying levels of comfort with the latter, though, and that if you're in a new city with limited time, you might not want to sit there trying to figure out their mass transit system.

IMHO a shuttle is your best bet. Try to find a hotel that has a shuttle to the port, or is within walking distance. To get from the airport to the hotel, take a local paid shuttle service. Most airports have a lot of bus/shuttle companies at the Ground Transport desk and there's bound to be at least one serving your hotel.

Hi:) shuttles or/and cabs. I have used both depending

on the situation.

Example, when I fly to FLL cabs are easy to find. Actually they

are directly outside of baggage claim.

No stress about it for me.

When I flew to San Francisco I used the Shuttle Service.

Easier out there than a cab and a good price.

I don't take cabs here at home either but it has never bothered

me on vacation. Gotta get to the hotel one way or the other;)

and I always fly in a day early:D

Howdy wuv2cwooze:

I have two additional options for you to consider. First, you could book cruise air, which means bundling airfare with your cruise. If that is the case, the cruise line chooses your airline and flight. One advantage to this is that the cruise line is responsible for getting you from TPA to the embarkation port, and this service is included at no extra charge. If your flight is delayed to the point that you miss the ship, then they are also responsible for getting you to the next port of call on your ship's itinerary. Since cruises leave out of Tampa in the late afternoon, chances are you will have a morning flight to TPA on the day of your cruise. If this sounds good, you may want to ask your cruise line (or travel agent) about this option.

A second option is to check into private car service. I haven't done this in Tampa, so I don't have a company to recommend. But if you do an internet search, I am sure you will locate several companies. Basically, if you are familiar with those drivers who hold up signs for specific people at airports, you get the picture: The company sends a driver to meet you and then take you to your destination. This could be a good option (although not the cheapest) if you are cab-phobic and want to fly to Tampa a day or so early and stay at a hotel that does not have its own airport pickup.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the wonderful world of solo cruising, and have a great cruise! :)

- Paul

Your fears are normal, I remember the first time I travelled solo, I arrived in Australia and had to take a cab into the city to my friend's place, I was so nervous I thought I was going to be sick. My trick was to pretend like I knew what I was doing, it seemed to work LOL.

Now I have several years of solo travel under my belt and I don't have to pretend anymore. I've taken cabs and public transportation in cities around the world. I've just learned to become dependant on the kindness of strangers to lead me in the right direction. Taxi and bus drivers can be a great resource. Thankfully I've never run into any problems. I'm thinking you should have no problem in Tampa.

If you just can't swallow your fears, you could check out the port threads and see if anyone knows of a hotel which has a shuttle from the airport and to the port (I found one in Fort Lauderdale). You could also check to see if there is a roll call for your cruise and perhaps you'll "meet" someone you may feel comfortable enough with that you might stay at the same hotel and share a cab.

Booking cruise plus flight with the cruise line will give you transfers to the ship. Your flight likely be scheduled to arrive the day of the cruise. Sometimes the lines will also offer a hotel add-on with transportation. Seems like that may be something to investigate.

Howdy wuv2cwooze:

First, you could book cruise air, which means bundling airfare with your cruise. If that is the case, the cruise line chooses your airline and flight. One advantage to this is that the cruise line is responsible for getting you from TPA to the embarkation port, and this service is included at no extra charge.

- Paul

Hi Everyone:

Wow, am I glad I found this forum. I am thinking about booking a get away solo cruise in the near future. I am a little apprehensive about trying to cruise solo (been on 5 cruises, all with hubby). This forum has helped ease my nerves a little bit.

My question is how do you all handle getting to your port city. I always fly in the the day before, to allow extra time in case of flight issues and delays. I am not comfortable taking a cab by myself. The cruise I am looking at is out of Tampa. I have found hotels that have shuttles from the airport, but not to the port. Or they have shuttles to the port, but not to the airport. Should I try to find a shuttle service rather than using a cab? Or do I fly in the day of the cruise and chance no problems occuring with the flight?

Thanks in advance

Tampa is one of the easier ports to cruise out of. The last time I sailed from there we just parked the car literally right by ship and walked across a street and on to the ship. I understand they have a parking garage now but overall there are not too many ships sailing out of there so it is not crowded like most ports.

I have used Super Shuttle several times in various cities and have always felt safe and comfortable. If you don't want to cab it, check out Super Shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then use the hotel transportation to the ship. You didn't mention which cruise line you are on, but some of them will offer a pre-night package which includes transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport - you can check that out too.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I am not being a smart aleck but . . .

If you have apprehension about getting into a cab alone, how will you handle going onshore in a foreign, possibly third world island nation?

IMHO in order to enjoy cruising solo, you have to don your extroverted persona, your armor of bravery and your sense of adventure.

I am not being a smart aleck but . . .

If you have apprehension about getting into a cab alone' date=' how will you handle going onshore in a foreign, possibly third world island nation?

IMHO in order to enjoy cruising solo, you have to don your extroverted persona, your armor of bravery and your sense of adventure.[/quote']

I'm not the one who started this thread but I am going on my first solo cruise in December. I'm also apprehensive about getting a cab alone so I've booked air through the cruiseline. As far as what I'll do onshore, I'm going to go on cruiseline excursions. I may get more daring in the future, but I'm taking the safer side on my first solo cruise.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
I'm not the one who started this thread but I am going on my first solo cruise in December. I'm also apprehensive about getting a cab alone so I've booked air through the cruiseline. As far as what I'll do onshore, I'm going to go on cruiseline excursions. I may get more daring in the future, but I'm taking the safer side on my first solo cruise.

O.K. Good idea. I wasn't thinking ship excursions when I asked the question. That is the best bet. You will meet people, make cruise buddies, be safe and not miss the ship.

I generally play it by "vibe". I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago to go on the Carnival Fantasy. I was suppose to walk around, explore on my own and eat a N.O. lunch but I didn't feel a safe vibe in the air. (I know I am a bit nutty) Therefore I stayed on the ship and ate buffet food.:rolleyes:

Some places (Dominica, Cayman Islands, Aruba St Thomas, Nassau) I have felt perfectly fine wondering around and have even gotten just a bit lost - even at night. I don't go very far, usually within walking distance of the ship. However, some ports I have not felt comfortable leaving the ship alone (i.e. Jamaica, New Orleans). :(

As far as a cab, again I didn't think of it but it is a one on one experience and can be a bit unnerving. Living in NYC, I have gotten use to jumping in and out of cabs.

Good luck and happy cruising:)

I cruised out of Tampa a few years ago. There was a Doubletree hotel with a free shuttle. By staying for one night, they let you park in their lot for up to a week for free! You should check it out.

Taxi: I used to travel extensively in the US for business, and I feel as if a taxi is safer than any other form of transportation. Door to door transportation & limited advertisement to other travelers that you're alone. Added bonus: the driver helps you with your bags.

I traveled Solo for the first time in October and am doing it again in less than 3 weeks. Believe it or not MY biggest fear was how to get to the port, not being on the ship. I would highly suggest finding a shuttle either thru the cruise line or the hotel.

Enjoy the experience, I found it to be one of the best cruises I had taken !

I agree with Pooh; my apprehension about solo cruising has usually centered around the logistics from getting from place to place. For example, home to airport, airport to hotel, hotel to ship, etc. Once I'm on the ship, I'm fine.

Roz

When I get in a cab I call someone on my cell so the driver will hear. I tell them the Cab #, the current time (if voice mail) and let them know I'll call them when I get to my destination (state destination). "Hi Mom" "Hi Honey", etc... I'm in cab # 007 on my way to port xxx.

It's best if your call connects, but if it doesn't ACT as though it did.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their input.

Nancy: That is a great idea to call someone when you get into the cab. I had never thought of doing that. I have only been in a cab 2 times in my lifetime, and once was with my husband.

Roz and Pooh: That to is where my apprehension lies, getting to and from the port. I have cruised 5 times, so I am comfortable being on the ship. I would probably do cruise line shore excursions so I would be with other people.

Suzin: I am perfectly comfortable ON the ship. Having cruised 5 times I am familier with the ship routines etc. Every other time I have cruised with my husband, we flew in the day before the cruise, obtained a rental car, and took the rental car shuttle to the port. So, the cruise itself is not new to me, It is the getting To and From the port/airport in a different manner where my apprehension lied.

Now, the unfortunate part, is that the cruise is now on hold due to my mom falling and fracturing (compound fracture at that) her ankle last night. I may have to use my vacation time to fly home and help her get settled once she is out of the hospital.

All of your suggestions have helped put me at ease for the time when I do go solo on a cruise (note I say when, not If :) )

Thanks again!

Wuv2Cruise

Wuv2cruise, hope your Mom will be ok:) and glad those on here

helped you with your apprehension.

I guess I am lucky....getting from one place to the other

never bothers me. I do my research and feel comfortable

with all my planning. Whether it be cab, shuttle, which hotel,

etc....I have it down;)

As for getting from my home to the airport...I drive and leave

my car with one of the Park&Fly places. . I have been using

them for a long time. I leave my car with them and they take

me to the airport. (It is about 4.00 per day).

I get a ticket stub and when I return I call them and within

5 minutes they are there to pick me up.

I use the same place every time and even know the

guys who drive the vans now:)

As for making a call in the cab, everyone does what

they feel is best for them.

I have never found it necessary to do it but if it helps

you in your comfort zone then by all means go for it.

• 2 months later...

I have decided that when I book my air I'm going to fly in the day before the cruise again. That means I'll be taking a cab from MIA to whatever downtown hotel I book, and then a cab to the port the next morning.

I'm tentatively planning to go sailing and maybe snorkeling by myself at Half Moon Cay, but I may still meet people there -- maybe I can get a sailing partner for a Hobie Cat. In St. Thomas I'm going to either do SNUBA or Captain Nautica snorkeling (a good excursion), which will put me with a group of people to meet. In San Juan I may just stay on the ship and have a buffet lunch. In Grand Turk I'm considering SNUBA, so another group excursion.

I'm also looking forward to my dinner seating, where I hope I'll meet a bunch of neat people.

I suggest that you check out the roll call section and see if one is going for your cruise. If not, start one!! You meet alot of people online and often on the ship at a meet & greet.

Go to the solo lunch that the ship offers. On my last sailing, there was over three tables of solo cruisers and many found people that were on the same tours or thinking about a tour and wanted to know someone else on it.

I also suggest going to the ports of call boards and review the local tour guides on your ports. 99% of my local tours were far better than the cruise sponser tours. The price is often alot lower, there are fewer people on the tours, and the bulk of them with ensure that you have a great time if you are alone.

When I go solo I have always used a private cab from the airport terminal. I have never been afraid to do so. If I lived in that much fear when going on a trip it wouldn't be fun for me. Same thing for having a cabin solo. Not worried about the boogeyman getting me in a hallway. Just a little more cautious when travelling alone. I really enjoyed my balcony on my last trip with my hubby and he will have to pay dearly for my next trip alone because I am hooked on the balcony. Used it a lot in the evening, but, of course, would be completely satisfied as long as I had a window to look out of. Ready to go again ASAP, with or w/o anyone else.

Hi Everyone:

Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat as you! I am thinking about a solo cruise sometime in the future, and this will be my first ever vacation alone:eek:

My husband refuses to cruise, and I already have one planned for 2008 with my Mom. I would love to do Majesty again for 3 nights! I hate depending on friends, because of their obligations to family, so I may be doing it alone.

Archived