Solo on Carney?

PaulfromPA

Greetings fellow solo cruisers:

I see Carnival is currently offering a very low price for a guarantee on its April 26, 2008 eastbound transatlantic aboard one of its new mega ships: Carnival Freedom.

I have never sailed Carney before, and to be honest, I have not had much interest. Carney has always struck me as the line for intoxicated party-goers, and that is not my style.

Still, the current price is a steal, and late April is a good time of year for me to sail. So I am open to any opinions. Should I give Carney thumbs up, or thumbs down?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Paul,

I doubt that a lot of partiers will sail to Europe and then pay the return air fare. My understanding is that Carnival attracts more a 50ish crowd on their European itineraries.

I'm going on a 12-day Hawaiian cruise on Carnival. It's a CC group cruise. On the roll call, we range in age from late 30s on up into the 60s. I think you'll find this typical of longer, more expensive itineraries that require pricier air fare.

I say go for it!

Roz

P.S. On my one Carnival cruise, I thought the food was as good, or better, than Holland America.

I cruised on the Miracle out of NY to Canada a few years back. I think that Carnival does well with us solos--easy, casual atmosphere, lots of late night activity if you want it, and the price is usually right.

The NY-Canada route is definately an older crowd. I think that a ta on any cruise line would attract an older crowd.

Faith

Hello Roz and Faith...

Many thanks for your replies. After reading what you had to say I felt encouraged and decided to go ahead and book the cruise. Note the updated signature as a result! :)

Of course, let's not kid ourselves, the price was a MAJOR consideration. I booked the super cheap ('cause I am) category 1-A guarantee. At less than a $1,000 for a cabin to myself for 14 nights, its hard to beat. Granted, I will have to add airfare at some point, but I am sure it won't be too difficult to snag a reasonable price on that, too.

Anyway, I have had nice visits from the upgrade fairy in the past, so I am hoping my luck will hold on this one. Even if I end up in steerage, I intend to apply the old adage that "there is no such thing as a bad cruise."

Thanks again for your encouragement. Solo cruisers unite! :D

- Paul

Hi! I sailed on the Miracle last April/May for a seven day cruise. There was only one time when things got a little wild (during the bar hop). Otherwise, the crowd was well manner.

Now for my tablemates, I was the youngest at my table (I'm 38 years old). My tablemates ranged from mid-40's to mid 80's. My oldest tablemate, Nick, was a WWII vet who fought on D-Day. I enjoyed dinner every night and often we would head to a show together.

I also found alot of time to sit by a window and read a book and daydream.

I agree with the others, on the longer cruises, the age of the guest goes up.

Have fun!! I'm taking a 10 day in April. If I enjoy it (I know that I will), I look into a longer cruise like yours!!

Greetings fellow solo cruisers:

I see Carnival is currently offering a very low price for a guarantee on its April 26, 2008 eastbound transatlantic aboard one of its new mega ships: Carnival Freedom.

I have never sailed Carney before, and to be honest, I have not had much interest. Carney has always struck me as the line for intoxicated party-goers, and that is not my style.

Still, the current price is a steal, and late April is a good time of year for me to sail. So I am open to any opinions. Should I give Carney thumbs up, or thumbs down?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi:) I have a friend in Calif who emailed me yesterday about

this same cruise. He put a deposit down too. Asked me

to look at it...excellent price that is for sure. There is one

time during a month I cannot cruise~end of a month...due

to that 4 letter word....(work).

Now, not sure I would have gone even if the timing was right,

but I would have definitely taken a closer look.;)

Enjoy your cruise:)

As it has been said, you won't find a lot of wild party types on that cruise and gee I wish it went to Europe when I need to go because it is probably cheaper than flying. Genrally speaking the longer the cruise the fewer kids and wild party types. One of these days I will get that Trans Atlantic in.

Thanks for even more reponses folks!

Vince: Yep, ya hafta do a TA. Besides, I like sea days... they keep me from spending money on high-cost shore excursions!

Lois: Puh-leeze do not mention that four-letter word; it is the reason I can't do B2Bs, dag nab it.

Happy sailing everyone! :D

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

At least it pays for our cruises :rolleyes: . I have to bid for my vacation weeks almost a year in advance, and then shop for cruises after I find out what I got. It sometimes works out, and sometimes makes me work to fit an appropriate vacation into the calendar slot.

I just got home from two glorious weeks in Hawaii, which was great, but I'm already looking forward to my back to back cruise in November, with BOTH Eastern and Western Caribbean itinerarys on Carnival Glory. And the supreme luxury of being solo in a balcony room on an upper deck! More money, yes, but Carnival is more reasonable than most on the "single supplement," and the dates coincided perfectly with my fall vacation.

I love to travel by myself and meet new people as I eat my way across the ocean and see new ports! :p And THAT my friends, is why we participate in that icky, horrible, distressing "four letter word." :D

I love to travel by myself and meet new people as I eat my way across the ocean and see new ports! :p And THAT my friends, is why we participate in that icky, horrible, distressing "four letter word." :D

Hey SeaFun:

Well said on that four-letter word thing. And it sounds like you have a great fall lined up. Cool!

Now, about eating you way across the ocean... That reminds me of another four-letter word that haunts me after a cruise: D-I-E-T! :eek:

Happy sails!

Paul

Archived