HAL Does Good on my Air Arrangements

RevNeal

After worrying about my HAL arranged Air transport for my Fall Panama Canal cruise, and after looking at the option of making arrangements on my own, I'm VERY glad I just let HAL make the arrangements for us.

The Fax from Seattle arrived today at my TA, and she faxed it on to my office. HAL has booked us on NON-STOP flights from Dallas to Vancouver and from Orlando to Dallas! And, indeed, almost EXACTLY what I would have chosen had I asked for specific flights.

Going to Vancouver, they've put us on:

American Airlines Flight 1379, departing Sept 25 at 10:12 AM and arriving at Vancouver at 12:32 pm.

Flying out of Orlando, they've put us on:

American Airlines Flight 1455, departing Oct 16 at 4:56 pm and arriving in Dallas at 6:40 pm.

The ONLY difference if I had made the arrangements would have been the 2:30 pm flight out of Orlando, not the 4:56 one. But ... I don't mind that so much. All it means is that we'll be among the last to leave the ship for transit to Orlando, and we'll be unhurried in going through security, etc.

I'm a happy cruiser with HAL today. :D

Revneal - What a relief! I am so happy for you.

I have my air too, and am very pleased. It happens to be the exact flights I was looking at on my own, but went with HAL because it was almost $200 CHEAPER...a rarity I know, but it was a special promo.

Marie

I researched how much this same itenerary would have cost me on my own.

From orbitz.com I can get the EXACT same itenerary that HAL got me, and it would cost me: $670 per person

HAL charged me: $539 per person.

Pretty good, huh?

Good for you, Greg! Glad it worked out to your wishes!

The times we have used HAL-arranged air, we have been very satisfied with itineraries, times and choice of airlines.

It sounds like you will have a grand trip!

I should be filing reports from the Zaandam in transit, so watch for them. I'll start a thread with a title like:

From RevNeal on the Zaandam

Or something similar. Kinda like I did from the Volendam in Jan 2002 and the Statendam in Dec 2002.

Those reports make it easy to write a review later. :) It's also fun to include people back on land in the fun of a cruise. :)

:)

For the most part, I think HAL is trying to make flying easy for as many people as they can. They tried hard for us this past May. We got the flight down to Ft Lauderdale that we wanted - non-stop - no problems. But flying back to Pittsburgh from Montreal was another story. HAL kept trying to get US Airways to let us fly directly home on them. Two weeks before we left on the cruise, HAL was still trying and US Airways would not give in - there were empty seats on the plane. As a result we had to fly from Montreal to Newark to Pittsburgh on Continental. And US Airways is wondering why they may go into chapter 11 bankruptcy again?!

:)

Greg,

Glad to hear your cruise is getting off to a good start. The one time I did HAL air I was very pleased. Couldn't have done better on my own.

I'm sailing on the Zaandam in December, so I'm anxious to hear about what SOE improvements are in place e.g. robes, new mattresses, etc.

Enjoy!

Roz

Roz, when we did the repo on Zaandam in Apr/May the SOE things were just about all in place. Robes in all cabins, the new mattresses, lighted make up mirrors, new ice buckets (way too small!) The Neptune lounge will be installed in Jan. when the Z goes into dry dock.....right after the New Years cruise.....jean

I still think you're usually better off making your own arrangements. But starting and ending your cruise in two different ports is one exception to that rule.

I agree. I'm used to making all my air arrangements myself, so I was very anxious about leaving it all up to HAL. Including my flights for my transatlantic crossing, back in the 90s, I have always made my own air arrangements and have always saved money in so-doing. However, when trying to book open jaw flights on opposite sides of the continent I kept discovering that it was going to be very difficult to get them for as cheap as HAL was offering. That was the largest part of my reasoning in going with HAL air.

My experience, in general, is that one can usually obtain air for less than HAL. The advantages of making your own arrangements are: (1) usually a cheaper set of tickets, (2) not having to fork all that money over to HAL at one time, and (3) having total control over, and knowledge of, the itinerary until it's already made. The disadvantages are: (1) having to research and make the arrangements yourself, (2) having no security regarding disruptions while in-transit, (3) having to make transfer-to-pier arrangements yourself.

When the kind of air arrangements make it difficult to beat HAL's price, the above rule and advantages of booking oneself are all broken.

RevNeal -

When you get to MCO, ask the airline if that 2:30 flight is available. You just might get on it - if seats are available. It happened to us once when we sailed out of Pt. Canaveral. Once that plane takes off, empty seats are revenue lost forever. Putting you on that earlier flight would free up your (later) seats for possible sale. If your later flight is overbooked, and your're there in time for an earlier fight, it could also work.

If you don't get that 2:30 plane, you still have your original flight. You'll get home either way.

MCO can have pretty LONG lines for security, but they move quickly.

ENJOY!

Rev. Neal:

I agree with Mary Ellen. We have been put on earlier flights several times and with different Air Lines. British Airways, Air Canada, etc. It is a win win situation for you and the airlines.

Enjoy your cruise. Sounds wonderful.

Dear Mary Ellen and Johanna7,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will definitely do that when we reach check-in at the airport. Who knows?? :) There are actually 3 American Airlines flights that run to DFW earlier than ours ... yet late enough that we'll probably be at the airport in time for each. So, there are several options.

Also, thank you for the warnings about long security lines at MCO. I figured it would probably be pretty bad on a Saturday, which is one of the reasons why having a later flight may not be a bad idea. HAL may know what they're doing in this regard. Nevertheless, I'd rather try for a flight 2 hours earlier ... if possible. We'll see.

Frankly, I'm just thankful for the non-stop flight from DFW to Vancouver. I still suffer from post-thrombotic syndrome ... sometimes I don't notice it at all; sometimes I really get to hurting, and I can never tell which it will be. By flying directly to Vancouver, and with the resulting short bus trip to Canada Place, I know that if I do have some pain in-transit, I won't have to put up with it for very long. Combine that concern with my periodic back pains -- which result from me favoring my right leg too much -- and being cramped in a plane for connecting flights and a bus trip was not high on my list of expectations. Yes, I do my back-strengthening exercises, and the pain there is much less than it was just a few weeks ago, and my leg is not hurting me much right now ... but one never knows when what I've come to call "the phlibitis from hell" will hit. Usually, it comes during moments of stress or other illness (a bad cold will trigger it). So ...

Oh, well ... the pains of aging. Boo hoo. :) And I'm not yet 50!

Nice new avatar pix, Greg. It definitely shows more hair! :D

For our upcoming Prinsendam cruise, I made air arrangements myself. We have just over 2 hours at Heathrow before flying on to Lisbon. The Heathrow information website suggests 55 minutes to get from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1. Someone else who is going on this sailing purchased their air through HAL. Their flight just allows about 1:15 for the connection. It will be interesting to see how tight this will be coming off a transatlantic flight.

Nice new avatar pix, Greg. It definitely shows more hair! :D

On my face, you mean? True. Sadly, not on top. Oh, well ... by the time my Dad was 48 he was bald. Heck, he was bald by the time he was 35! Therefore, I don't think I'm doing too badly in that department. Thanks! :)

The Heathrow information website suggests 55 minutes to get from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1. Someone else who is going on this sailing purchased their air through HAL. Their flight just allows about 1:15 for the connection. It will be interesting to see how tight this will be coming off a transatlantic flight.

They had better be ready to do their O.J. Simpson act ... not the one with the knife, the one's he used to perform in the airport. ;)

Terminals 1 and 3 are a fair distance apart. There is a bus that runs around the different terminals but be aware there are a lot of pax trying to get on it at all times. Put aside your American good behaviour, and do a little pushing and shoving with the rest of the people!!! 55 minuted will be what you need to make it.....hoping there are not long lines at immigration......jean

jhannah - we've done that terminal change in London - 55 minutes is cutting it very fine. You only need one dingbat in your line and you run the risk of missing your flight........I'd definitely opt for the recommended time.

:) - better safe than sorry!

Great News - Rev. Neal!

If you haven't done so already - be sure to call the Airlines and select your seats. And when you get to the airport in Dallas - go early - and ask about seats in the Emergency Row(s) - so more leg room.

In Vancouver, you might want to consider a taxi to Canada Place - easier on you than a bus - and not that much more expensive!

Also, in Orlando - there is a hotel IN the Airport - possibly you could get

a day room to relax in. Agree - how nice you can stay on the ship longer; especially enjoy a nice breakfast in your cabin, and relax there until you need to disembark. It could easily be 1 1/2 hours bus ride to Orlando - and check in - security - time to get to the gate, etc., as you know -- all takes time. Possible you will time it all so that you just have time enough to do it all leisurely, and time for a nice late lunch before boarding.

And what a great itinerary. So happy for you!

Thanks for your suggestions and your well-wishes! I've got less than two months to go, now! :D

And when you get to the airport in Dallas - go early - and ask about seats in the Emergency Row(s) - so more leg room.

:) Actually, no .... when you've got a fat butt like me, those hard-sided narrow seats on the Emergency row are horribly uncomfortable. Horribly. I would rather be in a normal row and have a little room for my fat hips, than to have them wedged tightly into those seats. :)

Thankfully, this flight is an American airlines flight. They have "more room" even in coach. ;)

In Vancouver, you might want to consider a taxi to Canada Place - easier on you than a bus - and not that much more expensive!

Yeah, last time we went to Alaska, departing out of Vancouver, we took a Taxi from the airport to Canada Place. We might or might not ... depends on how long they have us waiting to ride the bus in. :) As it is, we'll be arriving early enough to not be rushed in getting to the ship and boarding.

Rev,

Best check to see what type of plane AA has scheduled for your DFW -YVR flight. If it is a 757 the extra room is gone. AA's 757's are back to the original configuration. The Md-80's, 767's, and 777's still have the extra legroom.

Jerry

Archived