Library Questions

LNLisa

I'm so excited to be going on my first cruise next year! My sister is taking me for a graduation present. I'm finishing my library degree this May.

In her great wisdom and generosity, my sister kindly booked a room near the ship library. Since I'm so excited about this cruise, I tell pretty much everyone about it! :D Of course I mention our room being near the library.

My classmates and I would like to know a little bit more though. For instance, is there an actual certified librarian in the library? (This could be an important one since I gotta find a job! :p) What is the selection of books like? Will they have enough reference materials to answer those niggling questions that won't leave me alone? I assume that's where the computers are? Anything else that might be interesting?

After hearing my description of the ship, ports of call, etc. for the fiftieth time, I'm sure some of these people would like to hear some new information! Thanks for any input you can offer.

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in the library... The library is a small area (maybe 200 - 300 sq ft depending on the ship) that has between maybe 10 - 20 bookshelves (again, depending on the ship). Just outside the area with the books by the centrum railing area are some comfortable chairs to read and relax. There isn't any type of a catalog system for the books that I'm aware of and there aren't any computers in the library.

We have always been able to find something to read on our cruises though, so I guess it serves its purpose. :)

We try to get onto the ship as early as possible, and one of our very first explorations is to the library to get two books each for part of the cruise. I also suggest you bring some paperbacks you want to read - there is generally an exchange shelf to leave the ones you have read and pick up something new. Nancy

You don't say which ship you are on, but some of the Vision class ships (Grandeur, Splendour that I have seen) have an actual room as the library with a good amount of comfortable seating with ocean views. The book selection is decent, but nothing compared to a real library. There is no librarian. A word of caution ...on some ships the library becomes the "cigar bar" in the evening!! Enjoy your cruise!

You don't say which ship you are on, but some of the Vision class ships (Grandeur, Splendour that I have seen) have an actual room as the library with a good amount of comfortable seating with ocean views. The book selection is decent, but nothing compared to a real library. There is no librarian. A word of caution ...on some ships the library becomes the "cigar bar" in the evening!! Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I would like to hear about the library too. Can you check out books with your sea pass? Is there a charge?

There no charge that i've ever seen. You just pick the book you want from the shelf & fill in the sheet that's usually on the desk. It asks you for name, cabin etc & the name of the book you took.

On the Voyager and Freedom class ships the library is a little larger and has some nice comfy chairs overlooking the promenade. They get a little busy on parade nights, otherwise they are usually empty. The book selection is rather diverse, and you can usually find something to keep you interested while yu relax in a deck chair and watch the water go by.

for someone who is studying library science and management, you are sure to be disappointed in the so-called library. We have traveled on ships of several lines, and our experience has been the libraries on Royal Caribbean ships are too inadequate to be called a library. Holland America and Princess ships are much better equipped and do have a person on duty during hours to check books in and out. If you are much of a reader yourself - and I assume you are - suggest you take along your own reading material. DO NOT rely on finding anything worthwhile on board.:(

Archived