Rapallo & Santa Margherita out of Portofino

I have a shore excursion booked out of Portofino for a 4 hour excursion (Princess) to Rapallo & Santa Margherita. Just wondering if anyone had gone here previously and can tell me your experiences...specifically are these two places worth leaving Portofino for? Never been to any of these places but husband "wants to see it all" and I want to balance it with leisure...

Thanks in advance!

Several years ago while sailing on Orient Lines, we took this excursion from Portofino. We were transported on a luxury yacht. At both stops, a guide took us on a walking tour through these charming small towns. We loved our time there; & decided that we would like to come back some day to spend several days in the area. We didn't have much time left; but we did stroll a little bit in Portofino. If I had a chance to do it over, I would take the excursion again.

I would do the tour as well...nice to see other towns and since Portofino is not all that big you will get more flavor of the ares.St.M is much bigger and has some seaside charm as well.Enjoy your cruise.BTW,I took local ferry from Portofino to St.M so cannot comment on a tour er se,but love the area.

Why not travel to these nearby towns from Portofino on your own? That's what we plan to do in July when our ship is in port for one day. It looks to be an easy 20 minute bus ride down the road. You will save much time and money, plus have the flexibility to spend as much time in each town as you desire.

We will be staying a week in Santa Margherita Ligure in September and are looking forward to visiting that area. I believe that ferries also run between Portofino and St. M. and are easy to use. It is not a big distance and it would be lovely to see it one way by sea and then perhaps return by bus. Just a thought.

Jennie

I love Portofino, but it is very small and easy to see in a short time, so I think Santa Margherita Ligure is a good combination for a port stop. In Portofino, be sure to climb up to the top of the hill to see the view overlooking the harbor. We also took the ferry to Santa Margherita Ligure and think that was easy to do, and they run frequently. I like to see a lot in a port day, but I don't think I'd try to see all 3 in one day. Rapallo is nice, but I liked Santa Margherita Ligure better than Rapallo and Portofino the best out of the 3.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Following is a link to the ferry schedule from Portofino to Santa Margherita Ligure. It looks like it would be a very scenic way to get there and apparently it only takes about 15 minutes.

http://www.traghettiportofino.it/eng/linee.html

It is a great way to go..have done it before.The only thing is the weather...if it is bad they run on a different schedule and will post the times right by the boarding.When getting off in St.M it is a short walk to the makrket area and there are some really local places to eat with good food.

We will be staying a week in Santa Margherita Ligure in September and are looking forward to visiting that area. I believe that ferries also run between Portofino and St. M. and are easy to use. It is not a big distance and it would be lovely to see it one way by sea and then perhaps return by bus. Just a thought.

Jennie

Jennie, do you have a hotel that you'd recommend? we're going to be in that area for a night in September.

Jennie...we will be in Portofino at the end of Sept! When are you spending your week in Santa Margherita?

Kathy,

Are you the Kathy and Mike that we met on the T.P. in 2004? If so how are you both and perhaps we could meet up.

We will be in Santa Margherita Ligure from 25th September until 2nd October.

We are flying to Ireland on the 2nd September and spending a couple of weeks there first before flying on to Milan.

Jennie

Archived