Carrying own luggage off ship

winhus

I don't want the hassle of waiting around for my number to be called and then have to search for my bags. My question is if I carry my own bags off can I disembark whenever I want or is there a set time for people doing this

Okay not dissing anyone, just really want to know. Why would you want the hassle of having to haul your luggage around before you get off? And, why are people in such a hurry to get off the ship? I can see if you have a flight but still I just book a later one.

I dont go when my color is called, I just wait until almost everyone is off, then stroll off the ship, easy to find my bags, no hassle, no lines and I get to eat a leisurely breakfast, have some coffee and keep that relaxed feeling. I am still off by 1030ish usually and have gotten people to the airport for a 1230p flight even.

I see everyone rushing to get off and stand in line etc, and just never understood and I refuse to tote my luggage off. I am not a light packer. Maybe someone can enlighten me..

Okay not dissing anyone, just really want to know. Why would you want the hassle of having to haul your luggage around before you get off? And, why are people in such a hurry to get off the ship? I can see if you have a flight but still I just book a later one.

I dont go when my color is called, I just wait until almost everyone is off, then stroll off the ship, easy to find my bags, no hassle, no lines and I get to eat a leisurely breakfast, have some coffee and keep that relaxed feeling. I am still off by 1030ish usually and have gotten people to the airport for a 1230p flight even.

I see everyone rushing to get off and stand in line etc, and just never understood and I refuse to tote my luggage off. I am not a light packer. Maybe someone can enlighten me..

We usually drive and it is at least an 8 hour drive. I want to get started as early as possible to get home at a decent hour. Also, the cruise line is ready for you to be off so that they can prepare for the next group. I don't enjoy sitting "in a public area" waiting for your color to be called.

I love cruising, but my enjoyment ends when it is time to pack up and get off. One last reason to carry your luggage off. You don't have to meet the deadline to put your luggage outside by 11:00 PM. With luggage with wheels it is not that big an inconvenience.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

When we were on Mariner, the call for those carrying their own luggage was about 7:15 or so. One thing to mention is that you have to be able to carry your luggage. No wheeling on the escalators.

My understanding is that you have to go when the self carry is called. It's almost impossible to be doing your own luggage when others without are debarking.

I have also seen posts where the carry off luggage is limited to one suitcase. My suitcase is always too heavy for me to be able to carry, so I couldn't use the carry off method even if I wanted to.

Katie

One time, Amtrak changed our train schedule leaving Fort Lauderdale at the very reasonable Noon hour to 9am. Given Amtrak and Florida, there's not really a huge choice of trains...so we had to carry our own luggage off the ship to ensure we'd make our journey home. We did, with about 15 minutes to spare before the train departed.

My one complaint about it was that on the ship in question (Jewel), people were queueing with their carryons and other luggage, completely blocking our way when it came time to allow those carrying off their own luggage. When we asked people, politely, to allow us to pass, they confronted us with questions such as "well, what's YOUR COLOR?" and insinuated we were cutting in the line. Others were quite happy to let us by. By the time we made it to the front, they were calling White/Beige, so we had another hassle to deal with.

If you do plan to carry off your own luggage, my experience dictates remembering the following:

1> Elevators are going to be EVIL the day of debarkation. I hate to say it, but stairs might be a good option if you've packed light and you're going downstairs. My suggestion would be to take an elevator going up/down (whatever floor you are on, and whatever your destination...first one with no people in it, take it and run! Once you're in an elevator, sooner or later it'll go up or down as needed!)

2> You will have to be assertive with the folks that love to queue. You know who they are. They have Flaming Orange #20 tags, and want to wait _right there_ until their tags are called at 9:55am. Be assertive, but polite, and make sure they understand you're coming through with a piece of luggage that may require them to shift their bums!

We self-disembark off of Mariner. We live about 10 miles from the port, and there is nothing more frustrating that standing around waiting for our number to be called, when we can almost see our house from the deck! Plus, I get really bored waiting in the public areas - no food, no room, no drinks. I'd rather get back to reality and face all that laundry! ;)

If you self-disembark at Port Canaveral, you have to be able to CARRY your luggage (hold it off the ground) as you go down the escalators. That means no wheeling, no resting. There are elevators, but expect to wait a long while to use those.

We self-disembark like a couple of pack horses loaded with many pieces of luggage and bags, but it's worthwhile.

Okay, I can see the points. For me, I live about an hour from port, so no rush, also, I wait on the pool deck not in the other areas. I get breakfast in the Windjammer, which is open awhile, sit and have breakfast and coffee by the pool and by time I get off the rush is over.

Also, I can tell you from being married to a crew person, they dont care if you leave or not, they are going to get the ship ready for the next sailing. If you are out of the way, they just get on with it. We also saw this last May when the Rhapsody was about 5 hrs late pulling into port, they went on getting ready with all the passengers on board. We could not even get a soda, but water and coffee were available. We watched them bringing up the food for lunch for those about to board. They did a very fast turnaround from getting us off to getting the next folks on.

No biggie, just always wondered. I have friends that actually get in foul moods that last day and rush to get off the ship cause they are upset it is over! Me, I just take it easy and enjoy every minute until I have to get off.

Because we have a 13 hour drive home on Sunday, and DD needs to be at school the next day, we like to get off as early as possible. At Port Canaveral I can usually be on the highway by 8:00/8:15. I am not a light packer, but I'm considering carrying my own bags off this time, just to ensure we can get off early.

We self disembarked in Nov. It wasn't that bad, crowded and some very rude people, with colored tags standing in the way, blocking those that were suppose to be there, the whole ordeal took about 30 min's. Since we live 12 hrs from Ft Lauderdale, we were anxious to get on the road.

My sis and I are cruising this Sep for a 3 night, quick weekend getaway. Since this is a short cruise, we will not be packing very much. Can we carry our luggage on or do we have to check it in at the dock? I have had too many first night dinners where I did not get my luggage before dinner, and just hate to wait for my stuff when I am only on the ship for a quickie cruise.

If we need to check it for security reasons, so be it...but I was just wondering....

My sis and I are cruising this Sep for a 3 night, quick weekend getaway. Since this is a short cruise, we will not be packing very much. Can we carry our luggage on or do we have to check it in at the dock? I have had too many first night dinners where I did not get my luggage before dinner, and just hate to wait for my stuff when I am only on the ship for a quickie cruise.

If we need to check it for security reasons, so be it...but I was just wondering....

It has to fit through the xray scanners to be able to be carried on. They are about the same size as the airport ones.

I was able to carry on my own luggage for a 6 night cruise I took in October. As long as it fits into the x-ray machine before you board, you should be fine.

Yes, as long as it can fit through a standard airport-style x-ray machine, you can carry it onto the ship with you. Otherwise, you must leave it with the porters at the curb.

weacat, that is one adorable kitty in your avatar picture! Almost as pretty as my Acadia. ;)

Archived