Car rental LAX drop off San Pedro area

goodml

We're going to be arriving a day early for a 4 night Monarch cruise and since it's been 25 years since we were in the LA area we'd really like to have a rental car for the day. Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car at LAX and drop it off near the San Pedro pier? I've found that I can rent from Budget and drop off at East Ocean Boulevard in Long Beach. Would that be the closest car rental location to the San Pedro pier and if so does anyone have an idea of what taxi fare would be to the pier? Thanks in advance.

There is an Enterprise car rental site near San Pedro pier, I have arranged to pick up a car after the cruise and drop it off at LAX, so I presume they will allow the other way round, there will be a $40 drop off fee.

Ruth

Thanks Flash. I had read that on another thread and that's what makes me think that I might be better off with the Long Beach drop because I doubt the cab fare to the pier would be $40. I have a compact reserved through Budget with no drop fee. I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of the distance and approx cab fare from Long Beach to San Pedro.

We have reserved an Enterprise rental for our April cruise and were quoted a $25 drop off fee. Also on another thread someone mentioned that if you tell the manager at LAX enterprise that you are leaving San Pedro on a cruise that they wave the fee. Worth trying!

Thanks pammo, I'll give Enterprise a call today and see what I can come up with. The rental that I have with Budget right now is dirt cheap ($22 incl taxes.)

I'm also doing the pick up at LAX and drop off at the pier area.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please post what you come up with? We would like to do the car rental both ways; Pick up at LAX return to San Pedro and pick up San Pedro and return to LAX.

Any contact numbers or websites would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

Thanks for the reminder dog, I forgot to do this. So we're renting a compact from Enterprise at LAX for $19 and change plus a $25 drop off fee to drop it right near the pier. The total with all taxes is $52 and change. I had a $22 rental from Budget at LAX with drop off in Long Beach at no extra charge but I can't get a handle on how much a taxi would be from there to the pier so I figure it'll be worth the drop off fee to be right at the port. It looks like they charge a higher drop fee if you rent at the pier and drop off at LAX because the poster above said $40 but mine is $25. Either that or they dropped the price. I'll let you know how it goes when we get back in May.

Thanks for the reminder dog, I forgot to do this. So we're renting a compact from Enterprise at LAX for $19 and change plus a $25 drop off fee to drop it right near the pier. The total with all taxes is $52 and change. I had a $22 rental from Budget at LAX with drop off in Long Beach at no extra charge but I can't get a handle on how much a taxi would be from there to the pier so I figure it'll be worth the drop off fee to be right at the port. It looks like they charge a higher drop fee if you rent at the pier and drop off at LAX because the poster above said $40 but mine is $25. Either that or they dropped the price. I'll let you know how it goes when we get back in May.

Did you book online or by phone?

Can you give me their contact number or email? thanks again.

Enterprise doesn't allow you to book a one way rental online. You have to call. This is from their site and it's the number I used.

One Way Requests

Generally, one way rentals are possible within a metropolitan area. Please consult with the Enterprise office to determine if a one way rental is possible.

Renting in California

If you are picking up your rental vehicle in California, you may return it to select locations throughout the state of California. To reserve your next Enterprise one-way, call (866)-207-8836.

Certain restrictions apply.

Have you guys tried Avis. I have rented from LAX and drop off at LB5 located at:

Avis - LB5

112 Pacific Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802 , U S A

(1) 562-983-7444

Sun 09:00AM-02:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

The cab fare from LB5 to port should be fast 5-10 minutes ride and cost less than $10-15. As far as I concern, Avis is the best car rental agency for cruiser. I did the same for LB5 to LAX airport. If you have time, you can even tour around the town since the rental is good for 24 hours.

Oh yeah, I also used Avis C031529 AWD discount code booked on Avis.com. It dropped the rate to $16 on a compact size for a day with no drop charge. I use this code all the time, good discount, unlimited mileage, anyone can use, LDW $3000 is included. I booked a full size

and I got a Linconln Town Car.

I checked the rate with Avis using your coporate code. It is slightly more than the rate I am getting for Hertz. I cancelled a reservation with Enterprise because of the $40 drop off fee (when picking up at port and returning at LGB airport). Supposedly Hertz (Lomita location) will credit $10 for the cab fare from the port to their office. There is no drop off fee for us to return car to LGB.

We are flying in day of cruise. I believe the metered cab fare for LGB airport to the San Pedro port is around $35.

icon1.gifOne way car rental-LAX to San Pedro

Enterprise is sold out for my arrival date---2 days before my cruise.

Can anyone recommend another car rental agency that has a one way rental from LAX to San Pedro ( or nearby with a shuttle to the pier )?

By the way, my return rental is with Enterprise - San Pedro to LAX, with a $40.00 drop off fee, plus rental of $32.99 plus taxes for $79.01 (one day & one way).

The drop off fee from LAX to San Pedro ( if a car was available was $25.00 ).

I posted on a new thread with hopes of getting some more choices, but thought you might be interested in Enterprise costs. Pretty high, not happy for the convience on the return. So I am still looking.

Since I posted this I decided to go with Hertz - LAX to Lomita, and then I guess we will take a taxi to the San Pedro pier...which is less than 8 mi. Rental is $30.00/day + taxes and no drop off fee in Lomita.

I am wondering if the Lomita Hertz offers a shuttle or ride to the pier? Anyone done this?

I looked at map quest and it is less than 5 miles between the Lomita Hertz location and San Pedro Port of Los Angeles. I would call them. I don't think they have a shuttle, however when I first called them they mentioned a $10 credit for the cab fare to be taken off the rental cost. I tried to call them later (Lomita location) and was unable to get anyone.

I looked at map quest and it is less than 5 miles between the Lomita Hertz location and San Pedro Port of Los Angeles. I would call them. I don't think they have a shuttle, however when I first called them they mentioned a $10 credit for the cab fare to be taken off the rental cost. I tried to call them later (Lomita location) and was unable to get anyone.

Thanks Lucy55,

I don't think we'll worry about the cost of the taxi. This 2 day Hertz rental without any drop off fee is less $ than the one day Enterprise rental with drop off fee. :) :)

I'm sure previous cruisers have run into the same concerns....are any of you out there who have used the Lomita Hertz drop off location?

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update. We have returned from our cruise on Monarch and rented the car through Enterprise at LAX. We had called the 800 # to reserve the one way rental with drop off in San Pedro and rented the cheapest vehicle they had which was about $15 at the time. The booking agent confirmed that there would be a $25 drop charge. When we got to the Enterprise office at LAX they only had 1 economy car left and the attendant said that for $5 we could choose any car in the lot and she would waive the $25 drop charge. (I would definitely ask to have the charge waived if they don't offer it.) There were SUV's, Pt Cruisers, Magnums...a huge variety. We decided to go with a brand new Buick Lucerne which was very nice. So anyway, we had a nice car for about 20 bucks plus tax and the office to return the car in San Pedro is literally, right across the street from the cruiseship. We waited for about 10 mins for the shuttle to the ship and then decided to just walk it because it was a beautiful day. We had to walk back about two blocks to get to security and then right up to the ship. It was great.

If you are leaving on a Sunday, just make sure the rental office where you are dropping off is open and you aren't just doing a key drop. Otherwise you might be in an area where it is difficult to get a cab on a weekend. Our TA had that happen with another client, and for that reason, DH dropped us off at the pier, then went to the Long Beach Airport and dropped the car for no extra charge, then took a cab back to the pier. It cost a bit more, but he knew the signs for the airport would be easy to follow and it would be easy to get a cab.

Viv

I'm sorry if my info is not too up to date, but in 2005, I rented from Thrifty at LAX, and dropped off right across the street from the pier. It was about a 300-500 yard walk. I dropped our luggage and the wife off at the pier, and then took the car to Thrifty. It took me about 30 minutes to drop it off and walk back across the street and to the pier.

Hi, Enterprise has an after hours key drop inside the Crown Plaza I was told by the Enterprise agent at the Crown Plaze in San Pedro.

They don't know about it at the 1800 number:rolleyes: .

I am arriving at SNA which has no cars for Enterprise. Taking a taxi to Enterprise location across the street (they cant go into the airport to get you with shuttle) and renting a car to drop at the Crowne Plaza on Monday, Memorial Day, using the key drop. Drop off fee is $25. But since the other major companies offices in LB and San Pedro were closed for the Holiday, I did not want to risk getting a cab. We are staying at the Crown Plaza and can use their shuttle to get to the ship after droping the rent car key.

Complicated you bet, I called all the local offices because the 1800 numbers did not know if the local office was open or not:rolleyes:

Main point of all this is always ask is there a night drop or unmanned drop for the key if they say they are closed.

We stayed at Crowne Plaza and I saw the Enterprise desk. The counter was actually manned when we were there because we were sailing on the Monday and the bellman said we should just leave the car there and take their shuttle to the ship.

We decided not to because we left the hotel around 8 and headed up to Sepulveda to go to the Target and Del Amo shopping centre before we boarded so we dropped the car off at the location across from the ship. By the way if anyone happens to be heading out to the mall in the morning and is interested, we had a great breakfast at a place called Spire's on Sepulveda. Not sure if it's a chain or not but it was good.

• 5 weeks later...

Per my earlier post, I had a reservation with Enterprise in the Atrium Hotel across the street from SNA because of Memorial day and lack of cars available in the airport.

Two strange things happened. I had called the local Enterprise office in the Atrium Hotel. They had told me to catch a cab. We arrived at SNA and did get a cab. The driver was very upset that we wanted to just cross the street. He kept going on an on about how we could have walked it and that he had to wait 3 hours to get a fair at the airport. It was true that we could have walked it depending on how much luggage you have. The fare was $5 and we tipped $5 for $10 total. The walking distance may have been only 3 blocks or so. But I would still rather pay $10 than walk that distance with 5 bags for 2 people to carry. So that was a piece of strangeness.

The second item was mostly my fault but still pretty strange. When I called Enterprise and made the reservation, I was quoted 29.99 for one day and a $25 drop off fee for an approx. total of $66.61. I was emailed a confirmation that had a total of $66.13. When we got to the Enterprise counter the agent confirmed my $66.13 quote and said there would be an additional drop fee off fee. I showed him a copy of my reservation that stated $66.13 but he did not want to honor it saying that the email's never include the drop off fees. His manager did honor the email price if we agreed to having a pickup truck. We did and all progressed fine from there. When I arrived home, I started researching this. My notes from the phone call did clearly state what I said before. What I had missed was that my email confirmation qouted 2 days at 29.99 with no drop off fee for the $66.13 total. So the agent was telling me the right thing, it was just that my email reservation did not match what I had actually been told on the phone. Duhh????

It all worked out but was very strange and ackward at the time. Lesson learned double check everything not just the total amount.

FYI, The drop box in the Crown Plaza is great and saved us alot of hassle. There is a spot to leave the car in the parking garage. All in all the Crown Plaza is a great place to stay with friendly staff and good shuttle service.

Archived