Explorer/Voyager class Aft Cabins deck 6

I'm looking at booking an aft cabin on deck 6 of the Explorer, and wanted to know if anyone else had booked one there. I got some warnings that it might be noisy, plus there is the wall that protrudes out from the balcony rails.

Is the view obstructed? Do you get any sun from above? What were your opinions of these cabins? Looking at the E2 ones (6388, 6390, 6690).

I need to act quick on this, so any information would be great. Any pictures of the balconies on that deck would be wonderfull too.

Thanks!

VoyagerClass.com

Bonnie Voyager's aft photos

I haven't stayed in an aft cabin on a Voyager-class ship yet but have done tons of research. The higher the better because of the superstructure (less obstruction higher) and the crew deck (that juts out on deck 6). I personally wouldn't stay in a deck 6 aft.

Check out photos linked above and decide for yourself.

oh...all the deck 6 haters :D

We had 6 on Mariner...The main difference in Mariner and Explorer is on Mariner,that space is not a crew deck.

We had 6688 the opposite corner on Mariner and loved it...It was a great large balcony..And while it was not a true wrap around...It was still very nice.The only difference being on the wrap around,the wall did not go out to the port hole,but you could still see through it fine.

We still had great views out the back...watched sea planes land in St Martin,and Dolphins jumping in the Bahamas...Beautiful rainbow leaving .....somewhere:) Its still a great panoramic view..Plenty of sun,plenty of shade

Now....I you can get something on 7 0r 10 go for it...

However 6388/6688 are E1's so they are less than many of the other corners...Same room,bigger balcony..

Those are my pics on Bonnies website. :D

Thanks to Bonnie Voyager, I won't be staying in a cabin that looks out into an industrial-looking area. The designers really dropped the ball on this one IMO! I can't imagine anyone on the bottom decks wanting to look onto a steel platform and look at the crew relaxing (or whatever they do with that space)! It would be cool if we could hop over the rail and use this space for ourselves. But then there is the security part: people could just walk over to your "balcony" railing and look right into your cabin, or worse!

Look at this picture I have linked here: it shows the "wonderful" view! I'd rather be looking at a lifeboat or a post. At least we'd have a better chance at getting some sun on our balcony.

Click here for the picture that tells all!

We can get a balcony on the side for almost 30% less, so it's a "no-brainer" for me!

I was advised against it, and sure was glad when I saw the pics. I promply changed to a side cabin.

Not only does it look "industrial", but I have read it's a crew hang out area.

If I'm aft, or on a balcony, I expect to look down to water.

I was advised against it, and sure was glad when I saw the pics. I promply changed to a side cabin.

Not only does it look "industrial", but I have read it's a crew hang out area.

If I'm aft, or on a balcony, I expect to look down to water.

Or bikini-clad babes on a sailboat! :D

Thanks to Bonnie Voyager, I won't be staying in a cabin that looks out into an industrial-looking area. The designers really dropped the ball on this one IMO! I can't imagine anyone on the bottom decks wanting to look onto a steel platform and look at the crew relaxing (or whatever they do with that space)! It would be cool if we could hop over the rail and use this space for ourselves. But then there is the security part: people could just walk over to your "balcony" railing and look right into your cabin, or worse!

Look at this picture I have linked here: it shows the "wonderful" view! I'd rather be looking at a lifeboat or a post. At least we'd have a better chance at getting some sun on our balcony.

Click here for the picture that tells all!

We can get a balcony on the side for almost 30% less, so it's a "no-brainer" for me!

Thanks..Those are my pics that i let Bonnie add to her album.You dont know what you are missing...:)

This cabin is a e1 (6688&6388)...So you have a much larger balcony for less than a D1...I will never go back to a side balcony with little dinky balconies,and neigbors on both sides...Full sun on the way out in the AM,full sun on the way in the PM....

Thanks..Those are my pics that i let Bonnie add to her album.You dont know what you are missing...:)

This cabin is a e1 (6688&6388)...So you have a much larger balcony for less than a D1...I will never go back to a side balcony with little dinky balconies,and neigbors on both sides...Full sun on the way out in the AM,full sun on the way in the PM....

What about that "crew hang-out area"? Kinda feels wierd having someone that could look right into your cabin. When you're in port, at least the other ships are a hundred or so feet away from you, not someone just looking from the other side of the railing.

What's your opinion of that? Did you see anybody on that deck area? Is it a crew hang-out area? How often were people there?

Dallas Stars fan, eh? I'm a big Sens Fan. Well, after last night's disasterous third period in Atlanta, my fan-o-meter went down a bit... Ahead 2-1 going into the third, and they let in 3 goals! Argh!!!

I think on most of the Voyager-class ships that gray area is NOT where the crew hangs out. It is the roof OVER the crew area! The crew hangs out beneath that gray area. I have NEVER seen anyone on the gray area myself (but from 1688 which is where I sail you can barely see the gray area). I suspect that the most anyone sees out there is the occasional staff member cleaning the gray area (hosing it down or painting it or something) but I really have not heard of crew members actually "hanging out" on that area without some official purpose.

What about that "crew hang-out area"? Kinda feels wierd having someone that could look right into your cabin. When you're in port, at least the other ships are a hundred or so feet away from you, not someone just looking from the other side of the railing.

What's your opinion of that? Did you see anybody on that deck area? Is it a crew hang-out area? How often were people there?

Dallas Stars fan, eh? I'm a big Sens Fan. Well, after last night's disasterous third period in Atlanta, my fan-o-meter went down a bit... Ahead 2-1 going into the third, and they let in 3 goals! Argh!!!

Hahah..Nope,thats not a Dallas Star...That would be a Cowboy!!lol

But as much as a Texas girl can follow Hockey...I like the Stars..:)

But,as Bonnie said..On Mariner,that was not a crew deck,the crew deck is on 5.

But I have never even heard of anyone on these decks on Explorer either.

I kept wanting to just venture out there...Of course the little camera on the edge of the ship kept that idea from coming to fruition!!!

One morning in port,a Maint guy came by and sprayed off...But I guess thats not different than window washers etc....

Hey....I am not trying to force you to this cabin..Especially if there are higher decks available.

Just saying don't sell it short either..It was a great buy for us...100pp cheaper than a D1 on the side...And has me hooked on afts...:D

I think on most of the Voyager-class ships that gray area is NOT where the crew hangs out. It is the roof OVER the crew area! The crew hangs out beneath that gray area. I have NEVER seen anyone on the gray area myself (but from 1688 which is where I sail you can barely see the gray area). I suspect that the most anyone sees out there is the occasional staff member cleaning the gray area (hosing it down or painting it or something) but I really have not heard of crew members actually "hanging out" on that area without some official purpose.

That's right. The large flat grey area generally remains just that: a large flat EMPTY grey area, that impedes your view, but is NOT overrun with activity. It's just an emptiness between you and the vista you seek.

The crew area is ALL THE WAY aft on Deck 5. From Deck 6, this area is barely visible,(if at all) because of the angle. You can see it from Deck 7 (where I have stayed three times) and up. (they have little tables and chairs and take their morning coffee, etc, and just use the area as a little getaway/hideaway.)

Yes, it LOOKS like you could just swing your leg over your balcony on Deck 6 aft and sunbathe on the grey area, but you aren't allowed. :) And the way that the aft area curves, you can EASILY see into most of the other Deck 6 balconies, and vice versa. (and we could see ALL of them when we looked down.

7688 and 7388 are the perfect cabins. But I wouldn't deliberately choose Deck 6 aft.

But that's just me. I am sure that brn2crz has had FABULOUS cruises there. :D

WEll, thanks to all that posted here: we booked cabin 6388 on the Explrer Of the Seas for April 25th, 2008! Now only 13 1/2 months to go!:D:rolleyes:

C'mon guys - we need your Canadian input on this cruise - grab your credit cards and call your TA or RCI! And when you do: mention my name as the referral: Laurent Blanchet, and I'll buy you a cocktail on board! (maybe 2 if you're real nice! hehe!)

We had 7688 on Navigator and absolutely loved it. We then booked 1688 on the Freedom and really really loved it. We had our son with us on both cruises and really enjoyed the wider cabin especially now that he is getting bigger. These two are our favorites.

Next is the Adventure 4-08:( (minus the son:) ) so we are back to 7688. After trying the aft my husband really does enjoy the view. I'm anxious to see how the earlier departure from SJ is going to work. I'm hoping because it will be just before the late seating we have chosen that we will be able to be up on deck for sail away rather than sitting in the dining room. We have first time cruisers with us and I wouldnt want them to miss it! I think departure is 8:30 and late dinner the first night should be 9:00. That would work for me. Counting the days......'er year away.

Carol

Oh great: I got this cabin because of your raving review!:mad::D:p

Just returned from the Mariner yesterday. We had a D1 cabin on Deck 10 1530, right beside the bridge. We loved it, very quiet and the only through traffic was the ship's officers. Cabin was perfect, balcony had a glass wall to the right so you could see right through.

Peter (also from Ottawa!)

Just returned from the Mariner yesterday. We had a D1 cabin on Deck 10 1530, right beside the bridge. We loved it, very quiet and the only through traffic was the ship's officers. Cabin was perfect, balcony had a glass wall to the right so you could see right through.

Peter (also from Ottawa!)

Hi there! So you're from Ottawa, eh? Well, you should check in at the Canada eh? thread (floataway lounge) and say hello to your fellow Canuckers!:)

We are doing our first AFT 1694 on Explorer in May......with many thanks to Bonnie !

I can't wait to check it out and see the awesome views. I might be trying to trade my hump on Liberty haha !

WEll, thanks to all that posted here: we booked cabin 6388 on the Explrer Of the Seas for April 25th, 2008! Now only 13 1/2 months to go!:D:rolleyes:

C'mon guys - we need your Canadian input on this cruise - grab your credit cards and call your TA or RCI! And when you do: mention my name as the referral: Laurent Blanchet, and I'll buy you a cocktail on board! (maybe 2 if you're real nice! hehe!)

You'll be sorry, we sure were.A large balcony doesn't make up for the problems and that spotlight left on all night is really bad. Don't say you were not warned.

You'll be sorry, we sure were.A large balcony doesn't make up for the problems and that spotlight left on all night is really bad. Don't say you were not warned.

What problems and what spotlight left on all night? I don't recall anyone warning me about that at all! Does it point directly at the balconies or does it illuminate the inside of the superstructure? Where is it located, and is there more than one?

Bonnie Voyager: help!!!!:D

What problems and what spotlight left on all night? I don't recall anyone warning me about that at all! Does it point directly at the balconies or does it illuminate the inside of the superstructure? Where is it located, and is there more than one?

Bonnie Voyager: help!!!!:D

I wish I could give you first-hand information about this, but I have never sailed on deck 6 aft. I've only sailed on deck 10 aft and from there I never had any issues whatsoever. I have been inside many of the aft cabins but again, never an aft cabin on deck 6. I have been on the balcony of 7388 (right above your balcony) and I personally thought it was terrific and would book it in a heartbeat. But, it was daytime when I was on the deck 7 aft balconies so I have no idea about this spotlight shining. I can tell you we saw no light from our aft/corner balcony on deck 10 and this one thread is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the spotlight. Perhaps it was a one-time thing where someone forgot to turn off the light? I don't know, but I would think you would hear more people complain about this if it happened all the time. Of course, having it happen to YOU would stink! I don't think I would like it! I know this is really a tough decision you are going through and you want to be comfortable with your choice. On the bright side, I have read many, many more positive reviews about 6688 than negative. Until now, the only negative reports I've read were upset about the metal framework, but that just doesn't bother me that much. When I was on the balcony of 7388 I felt like the framework was just part of the view, NOT an obstruction from the view. It wouldn't stop me from booking 7388 for sure! But again, I can't say whether or not I'd be happy with 6388 as I've never set foot on it's balcony. Another thing to keep in mind is that you still have quite a few months till you actually sail. You could be waitlisted for an aft cabin on a higher deck and quite possibly would get it by next year! Also, keep checking yourself to see if an aft opens up that you would be happier with. Good luck with your decision!

I posted about this but on another thread.There is a large spotlight on deck five pointed up to 6 that is left on all night. We like to sit on the balcony at night but you cannot see or hear the water, can't leave your drapes open.The only thing you see is that big old grey deck and the water in the distance, it isn't even fun to have breakfast out there as the water is so far away and the superstructure blocks your view of the sky.We love the large aft balconies but the problems outweighed that. There was no problem with the crew on deck 5, never there. guess they didn't like that spotlight either.I wrote to RCI suggesting that deck 6 aft be listed as obstrcted view, at least this way you know in advance and can make a choice. It did not spoil our cruise as any cruise is better than staying home and we love the Mariner but would never let them stick us with that cabin again.We picked up this cruise late and wondered why an aft balcony was avaiable, guess we found out.

Hi Bonnie: We asked customer relations about the light and were told it was security and could not be turned off. It would probably not be as noticeable since it was high on deck five just by 6388 and that cabin got the most of it.Anyone I have talked with did not have problems on the higher decks either from the deck in front or the light.

teajak, you are correct that 6688 and 6388 do seem to remain available longer than any other aft cabins. I definitely think RCCL should list these cabins on deck 6 aft as "obstructed" or they should charge less then the other cabins of the same category. I think not that many people must complain about them though or perhaps they would have already made these changes. And many folks do book those cabins over and over again, so I guess for the majority, these cabins are still preferable to a side cabin. I'm still not sure myself what I would do in this situation. I've been lucky, I've never had to decide! I've always been able to get my deck 10 aft/corner cabin that I love! But, I've read reviews from quite a few people who HATE my favorite cabin, so I guess you really can't base this decision on anything but your own experience and preferences.

Thanks, all!

I'm not sure I what I can do as far as changing the location of the cabin without paying some kind of penalty. This being only our second cruise, we'll have to learn by trial and error...

I hope this darn spotlight under us won't be too bright. Hopefully it won't impede our ability to have fun! As far as sleeping goes, we always pulled the curtains tight at night so the morning sun wouldn't wake us up, so I don't see that as a problem. Actually, come to think of it - we hardly spent any time on our balcony at night: just the odd drink before bedtime.

I'll let you guys know what it was like for us when we return - that's in May 2008, so don't hold your breath!:D

Archived