Explorer/Voyager class Aft Cabins deck 6

Laurent, why do you think you'd have to pay a penalty to change cabins? Wrona & I changed cabins several times.... I believe she changed it once before I signed on to sail with her, then once when we decided to go from the hump balc to the inside, and then we moved from the deck 3 inside to the deck 9 inside... no penalty paid at any time to my knowledge (and I definitely would've known about it on the last one - and that one was after final payment!)

I agree with Bonnie that you should put your name on a waitlist for an aft balc elsewhere (I'm guessing that all the afts in your category are already sold out) and see what happens.

Then again, ami, that spotlight could come in handy for that big ol' Canadian moon!

teajak, you are correct that 6688 and 6388 do seem to remain available longer than any other aft cabins. I definitely think RCCL should list these cabins on deck 6 aft as "obstructed" or they should charge less then the other cabins of the same category. I think not that many people must complain about them though or perhaps they would have already made these changes. And many folks do book those cabins over and over again, so I guess for the majority, these cabins are still preferable to a side cabin. I'm still not sure myself what I would do in this situation. I've been lucky, I've never had to decide! I've always been able to get my deck 10 aft/corner cabin that I love! But, I've read reviews from quite a few people who HATE my favorite cabin, so I guess you really can't base this decision on anything but your own experience and preferences.
Of course this is just our opinion, I really missed the wake being below us and since we keep the drapes open and like sitting on the balcony at night the light bothered us. Probably none of this would bother a first time cruiser but I guess after 35 cruises you form strong opinions. I know they will have a great time on the Mariner, we are going back on her in Sept. in a hump cabin.No matter what have fun on your cruise.

Our tablemates at dinner were in a aft suite on deck 6 and said the only bad part was propeller noise and vibration. (This is 2nd hand of course)
Second hand propeller noise... Is that like second hand smoke? :D

Don't they use those pods below the hull? I guesse the noise of the water would be a bit loud. I'm kinda looking forward to it, actually. We always found that we were so tuckered out by the time we went to bed that falling asleep wasn't an issue.

I might "accidentally" drop something over the balcony which would "force" me to have to hop over the railing to recuperate it. And if I happened to look over the outer railing and gaze at the ocean then, well I'm sure they wouldn't get too angry (issue a warning not automatic expulsion from the ship!;))...

I personally enjoy the sounds and sensations that are unique to being on the sea. A gentle vibration and subtle rocking just soothe me right to sleep! The churning of the wake is also a very pleasant sound for me. I also enjoy hearing the occasional creaking of the ship as she rolls gently on the sea. These are all some of the things that cause some folks to write negative reports about aft cabins. But, these are the things that bring me back to my favorite aft cabins again and again! ;)

I personally enjoy the sounds and sensations that are unique to being on the sea. A gentle vibration and subtle rocking just soothe me right to sleep! The churning of the wake is also a very pleasant sound for me. I also enjoy hearing the occasional creaking of the ship as she rolls gently on the sea. These are all some of the things that cause some folks to write negative reports about aft cabins. But, these are the things that bring me back to my favorite aft cabins again and again! ;)

Well time (13+ months) will tell if we're cut from the same cloth in that regard.

I can't wait to compare this ship with the Jewel. - My favourite evening place was the Congo Bar - you could see out the aft, looking straight down at the wake of the ship - very nice.

My favourite morning place was in the Windjammer outside at the aft.

Daytime was in the pool area. I just love the fact that there are many more hot tubs - I just love them. Even in the hot sun, I just love the hot bubbling water to relax my muscles.

But my all-time favourite place was the Centrum - and going on Deck 12 and standing on the glass platform looking straight down. Real cool! I remember the first night on board, i went to see the C&A person - she's from my hometown - and she brought me onto the platform. It was so cool! It didn't matter how many pictures I looked at before the cruise: seeing each location in person was just fabulous!

Didn't try the rock climbing yet, or the miniput. That will definitely be on the to-do list this time, with 4 at-sea days! I should bring my trolling rod with me: I wonder if I can catch anything when we're doing 20+ knots! hehe!

I find it funny when seasoned cruisers look at my excitement as a first-time cruiser. I get the impression they are sighing inside like when reminiscing about loosing their virginity!:D

Leafpeeper: if you want to vacate your cabin for another, I'll gladly go up to Deck 9 - I mean Deck 9 Aft is simply horrible - you'll just hate it! I'd change cabins right away if I were you! Just e-mail me when you do, and I'll buy you a drink on board!:)

We are sailing on the Navigator (Explorers sister ship) April 14th Transatlantic. When we booked it with RCCL,the gal on the phone gave us 6388...I was so pleased to have an AFT..since this is a 12 day cruise. After doing some serious research here, I decided to change, to a hump JS on deck 9. I like to sit on my balcony and look out at the water.

Just my 2 cents:o

. I guess after 35 cruises you form strong opinions. .

teajak, I have cruised 33 times & I agree with you about forming opinions.

In our case, we feel like we're in the caboose looking out the rear window of a train, but many friends LOVE watching the wake and wouldn't have another cabin. Anyway, I think it's great that you helped Laurent with your knowledge of that light. I've heard it mentioned somewhere before, and it's good that you brought it to his attention.

Laurent, I heard you had a real BLAST on the Mustard of the Seas recently. Keep on HAVING FUN.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2216532430100517148sEXGNp

We generally sail on the Radiance Class of ships but decided to try the Explorer in December. We upgraded to a JS Aft DECK 6 -- cabin 6692. Above are some of our pictures. To a minor degree we missed seeing the wake below us but other than that the cabin and the balcony were terrific. We expected the superstructure would block our view somewhat (we usually book corner aft 9256 on Brilliance or Jewel) but it wasn't nearly as bad as people say. The size of the balcony was terrific and we did not suffer from any noise, vibration, lights or other disturbances and kept our door open all night as usual.

The differences between the two classes of ships really surprised us, e.g. Radiance class has so much glass and you seem to always being looking at the ocean whereas the Explorer was more inward focussed, e.g. Royal Promenade. Did love the view from the ladies room near the Windjammer -- very cool.

It was very rainy for two of the days and having a large covered balcony out of the wind was a big plus.

I know I'll have a great time no matter where my cabin is located. If you set a certain "formula" to being able to have a good time, you'll invariantly not have a good time. So I go with the flow, and hope for the best, and let the little things slide by!

Thanks to all, especially Bon Voyage ;)

I know I'll have a great time no matter where my cabin is located. If you set a certain "formula" to being able to have a good time, you'll invariantly not have a good time. So I go with the flow, and hope for the best, and let the little things slide by!

Thanks to all, especially Bon Voyage ;)

I agree with you 100%! If you "expect" trouble, you are sure to find trouble! In all my travels I can truly say I've never had a bad cruise. Some were better than others but they were all good! I've sailed in every category cabin there is! I've had aft cabins, cabins on the bow, midship cabins, penthouse suites, inside cabins, outside cabins, big cabins, little cabins...and I enjoyed each cruise regardless of location. As long as I'm on the ship, I'm pretty easy to please! I think you will have a great time too!

I agree with you 100%! If you "expect" trouble, you are sure to find trouble! In all my travels I can truly say I've never had a bad cruise. Some were better than others but they were all good! I've sailed in every category cabin there is! I've had aft cabins, cabins on the bow, midship cabins, penthouse suites, inside cabins, outside cabins, big cabins, little cabins...and I enjoyed each cruise regardless of location. As long as I'm on the ship, I'm pretty easy to please! I think you will have a great time too!
I totally agree-and the Mariner is great---teajak

...I don't know if I've mentioned this before in this thread already but Explorer of the Seas is my all-time favorite ship! (So far anyway!) :D

I've only cruised on the Jewel (Radiance class). Have you sailed her? I found that the pool area was a bit smaller than I expected. I know the Explorer's pool area is larger.

I wonder what the Centrum is like on this ship - I can say that I was always amazed when I looked at the Centrum on the Jewel from any level/angle.

So now I am worried. I just booked cabin 6388 on Adventure and part of the reason I want a balcony is to sit out at night and enjoy looking at the ocean while we are relaxing. I don't want a spotlight shining on me :(

Has anyone stayed in 6388 on Adventure?

Since I was pretty nervous about 6388 and spotlights, not to mention I am not keen on the fact that when you look down from the side of the balcony in rooms 6388 and 6688 you see deck 5 and people can peek up at you from deck 5, I rebooked into cabin 6690. It is still an aft with the Big Grey Deck in front of it, but I feel we will have a little more privacy and it is still larger than a side balcony. Not many were available this late on the higher decks and I don't really care for the deck 6 side balcony set up based on pictures I have seen.

It does seem that people tend to avoid the deck 6 aft cabins because all other decks were booked and at least three were available when I called. I am going into it with an open mind. I have seen pictures of the view, and while not as fantastic as the higher decks, it is still quite nice - even when having to look at the Big Grey Deck ;)

This will be my first balcony cabin and my first aft. I am sure I will enjoy it either way :)

Thanks to everyone that posted in here. This board is a wealth of info!

:o

• 1 year later...

O.K.: 2 weeks to go until I get to see first hand what cabin 6388 is like. Will have to post pictures for all to see. I understand that the balcony is long, so there is room for two lounge chairs! Methinks we'll be spending lots of time there with 4 at-sea days!:D

Archived