Harbor House Hotel- To Stay Or Not To Stay?

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this...

We are flying into IAH on Saturday, April 28, cruising out of Galveston on Sunday, April 29 aboard Conquest. Our original plan was to drive from IAH and stay by the Hobby Airport at the Courtyard on Saturday. A three star hotel with a reasonable price.

Now, I am reading all sorts of posts that this may not be a good idea since there is road closure all of the time. So, today, I found an excellent rate of $97 for the Harbor House. I thought this would be a great hotel since every Sunday I find myself checking out the ships leaving the port. However, I've read some not so great reviews and I've noticed that the hotel only has two stars, although AAA gives them three. HELP! Any help would be appreciated!

Stacey

If you are asking about the Harbor House at the pier - I have stayed there a few times. They are very nice and walking distance to the ships. I would think that if they are 2 star it is only because they do not have a pool or restaurants. The Harbor House is a Wyndam owned property. There are many restaurants within walking distance. A few are Fisherman's Wharf, Willie G's, Joes Crab Shack, Fuddruckers and many more. It is also within walking distance of the Strand which has many shops and restaurants. They also a continental breakfast that suited us just fine since we were getting ready to cruise with more food that we could ever care to eat. I would most certainly recommend the Harbor House over staying at any Hobby airport hotel. If you do not have a car there is nothing to do within walking distance. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Thank you Nonna5 for your quick response. It's very much appreciated. I'm going to forward your post to my friends so we can start to make our final decision. I think I'm most definitely leaning towards the Harbor House at Pier 21. Since we'll be flying in later that afternoon, a pool won't matter. Plus, we'll have our rental car to get around for dinner. Thanks again!

Stacey

We are flying into IAH on Saturday, April 28, cruising out of Galveston on Sunday, April 29 aboard Conquest. Our original plan was to drive from IAH and stay by the Hobby Airport at the Courtyard on Saturday. A three star hotel with a reasonable price.

Now, I am reading all sorts of posts that this may not be a good idea since there is road closure all of the time. So, today, I found an excellent rate of $97 for the Harbor House. I thought this would be a great hotel since every Sunday I find myself checking out the ships leaving the port. However, I've read some not so great reviews and I've noticed that the hotel only has two stars, although AAA gives them three. HELP! Any help would be appreciated!

Stacey

can you tell me where you got hte rate for $97 for the Harbour House? I am sailing out on April 1, and was wondering if there are any specials like the one you recieved? Please respond back with information, thanks!

We enjoyed the Harbor House---right on the pier--- short walking distance to restaurants---rooms were large and confortable---the continental breakfast was fine--in the morning I dropped my wife off with the luggage and put the car back in their lot--walked back over to pier (rccl) a five minute walk

Paul in TX

Ask for a room on the Harbor side and early in the morning you can watch your ship dock. You'll know it's pulling in when you feel the vibrations. We stayed a couple of years ago with our kids and had a great stay.:D

Thank you all for your responses. It's always really great to hear what someone else has to say, especially when it's about something you don't know about or somewhere you've not been. I appreciate everyone's response.

I did find the rate of $97 at AAA. The cheapest I found other than that was at Travelocity and I believe that was $135. Still a really great deal considering you're right on the water and right next to the terminal. Not to mention we won't have to drive from Houston Hobby in the morning and worry about traffic and making it to the ship on time.

Again, thank you all...And if you happen to cruise out of Long Beach at any point, I'd be more than happy to help you out with that.

Stacey

The Harbor House is great! We have stayed there 4 times in the past few years and would gladly stay there again. You made a good choice and you got a great price!! It is really cool watching the ship come in early in the morning too.

Hope you have a great time! :)

Being only 23 miles from the cruise terminal I have never stayed at the Harbor House but the post here telling you about the great location are correct.

What they have failed to mention is that the Hobby Airport area is a much less desirable part of town. You will feel secure walking to the restaurants and the Strand from the Harbor House but this will not be the case with the Hobby area.

Thanks again to everyone for your information. Harbor House is a must...Especially since I read the post from TexReno who mentioned that the Houston Hobby area isn't so desirable.

I am so anxious to board the Conquest, as I have been waiting for two years to cruise her. I'm hoping we will be able to have a room that is on the bay to see our ship come in in the morning. I was able to do so out of Long Beach in October and that is own of my favorite experiences. What can I say, I enjoy the little things!!!!

Thanks!

Stacey

Thanks again to everyone for your information. Harbor House is a must...Especially since I read the post from TexReno who mentioned that the Houston Hobby area isn't so desirable.

I am so anxious to board the Conquest, as I have been waiting for two years to cruise her. I'm hoping we will be able to have a room that is on the bay to see our ship come in in the morning. I was able to do so out of Long Beach in October and that is own of my favorite experiences. What can I say, I enjoy the little things!!!!

Thanks!

Stacey

how many rooms does this hotel have?

If you are an AAA (auto association) member you can get breakfast included for the same $85. price. I just booked for 4/22 on the AAA website. The AAA description doesn't mention cruise parking (that's a biggie!!!) but I noticed they offer it on the hotel website, so maybe you'd get that too?

Stacey

we have reservations for the 7th of april for our easter sunday cruise on the conquest. will try to post our experience the week of the 16th once we return. i've emailed them twice requesting a harbor side room, but they still have not responded.

not a good start customer sevice wise. paying $196 for a room for 4. got reservations on hotels.com

Hi there...

That would be really great if you could post about Harbor House and the cruise when you return. I'll be anxious to read your review and any comments you may have.

I'm not sure how the e-mail system works for Harbor House, but I have to tell you that I had a really great experience when I phoned there. Our reservations were originally made through AAA. Then, last weekend I phoned to request our rooms with views to see the ship come into the port in the morning. I had done that once before at a hotel here in Long Beach and I just thought it was the neatest thing. There was something about it that added to the whole cruise experience. I wanted my friends to be able to experience it as well. Anyways, the gal that answered had a great personality and a great sense of humor and she was more than accomodating. Nothing like the reviews or posts that I have read about the hotel. Right as we were hanging up, I asked for her name so I write a letter to her boss to let he/she know how great she was at helping us out. Not to mention that I will be bringing her something for her birthday, as it's the same weekend we will be staying there. She was really that great on the phone. I think people really appreciate when you take the extra time for them, as she did for our group, even if just over the phone. You might want to phone and ask for her. She is also the general supervisor at the hotel. Her name is Rafaynette.

Happy cruising!!!

Stacey

Stacey - Like I've said before, I live too close to stay in Galveston so I can't tell you how the rooms at the Harbor House are. What I can tell you is that you will be right in the middle of an upscale tourist area and will enjoy your pre-cruise hours. The number of shops, restaurants, clubs, museums and historical buildings within walking distance are too many to count. Both my wife and I were raised in the area and never tire of Galveston. You can walk one block to the Strand but don't miss the bars, restaurants, art galleries and coffee shops of Post Office St. on a nice Friday or Saturday night. You can catch the trolley on Strand which will take you the 5 blocks or so to Post Office and back. Two of our favorite restaurants are on Post Office St. "Rudy & Paco" and "The Saltwater Grill". You can walk off your meal with an art gallery stroll down Post Office St. after dinner.

Enjoy your stay

Texreno

TexReno,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The more I talk about the cruise, the more excited I am continuoulsy getting. Just like a little kid... A thirty some year old kid. LOL.

It looks as if we won't have time to meet up with some of the gang from CC due to our flight coming in a bit later, so it's possible that we won't be able to eat at Fisherman's Wharf with them. Should we miss the chance, what types of food are served at Rudy & Paco and The Saltwater Grille. I'm assuming Mexican and fish, but I've learned that assumption can sometimes lead you astray. :)

What does the weather tend to be like during the end of April??? If I was to leave California in a summer type dress, would I look foolish in Galveston that way??? We did that once. Left California and flew into Florida to have a horrible storm and there we were in flip flops and shorts. LOL.

Any other information you might have would be very much appreciated. And of course, know that if you ever cruise out of Long Beach, I'm here to help.

Thanks,

Stacey

http://www.galveston.com/cuisine/cuisine_submit.asp?chkSeafood=Seafood&chkStrand=strand&txtSearch=&butSearch2.x=18&butSearch2.y=13

Their both seafood and you can get to the menus from the site above.

As far as the weather goes for April you just never know and need to check the forcast online before you leave. If it's not storming or raining then you should have daytime temps. in the high 80s low 90s and high 60s to low 70s at night. The jet stream dips down into Texas from time to time and may bring a late round of cool air from the Mid-West. All in All, April is one of my favorite golf months when it's not raining.

Hi there...

That would be really great if you could post about Harbor House and the cruise when you return. I'll be anxious to read your review and any comments you may have.

I'm not sure how the e-mail system works for Harbor House, but I have to tell you that I had a really great experience when I phoned there. Our reservations were originally made through AAA. Then, last weekend I phoned to request our rooms with views to see the ship come into the port in the morning. I had done that once before at a hotel here in Long Beach and I just thought it was the neatest thing. There was something about it that added to the whole cruise experience. I wanted my friends to be able to experience it as well. Anyways, the gal that answered had a great personality and a great sense of humor and she was more than accomodating. Nothing like the reviews or posts that I have read about the hotel. Right as we were hanging up, I asked for her name so I write a letter to her boss to let he/she know how great she was at helping us out. Not to mention that I will be bringing her something for her birthday, as it's the same weekend we will be staying there. She was really that great on the phone. I think people really appreciate when you take the extra time for them, as she did for our group, even if just over the phone. You might want to phone and ask for her. She is also the general supervisor at the hotel. Her name is Rafaynette.

Happy cruising!!!

Stacey

SOCALCRUISER GAL

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I THINK I'LL GIVE RAYFANETTE A CALL.

Archived