Harbor House Hotel- To Stay Or Not To Stay?

we have reservations for the 7th of april for our easter sunday cruise on the conquest. will try to post our experience the week of the 16th once we return. i've emailed them twice requesting a harbor side room, but they still have not responded.

not a good start customer sevice wise. paying $196 for a room for 4. got reservations on hotels.com

I have emailed them as well requesting a harbour side room and I have not received a response yet.

I have emailed them as well requesting a harbour side room and I have not received a response yet.

I CALLED PER SOCALCRUISERGAL'S SUGGESTION.

THEY WOULDN'T GUARANTEE ANTHING, BUT SAID THAT THEY WOULD INDICATE ON MY RESERVATION THAT I HAD REQUESTED IT. RAYFANETTE WAS NOT THERE.

Hi there...

Good luck in getting a view of the ships in the morning. Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you'll be able to reach her at another time. She was just really nice and would like to think that she would treat us all in the same fabulous way she treated me on the phone. Now, wouldn't it be funny, if I'm speaking so highly of her and she's just pulling my leg? LOL. Hopefully not. :)

Stacey

Stacey - Like I've said before, I live too close to stay in Galveston so I can't tell you how the rooms at the Harbor House are. What I can tell you is that you will be right in the middle of an upscale tourist area and will enjoy your pre-cruise hours. The number of shops, restaurants, clubs, museums and historical buildings within walking distance are too many to count. Both my wife and I were raised in the area and never tire of Galveston. You can walk one block to the Strand but don't miss the bars, restaurants, art galleries and coffee shops of Post Office St. on a nice Friday or Saturday night. You can catch the trolley on Strand which will take you the 5 blocks or so to Post Office and back. Two of our favorite restaurants are on Post Office St. "Rudy & Paco" and "The Saltwater Grill". You can walk off your meal with an art gallery stroll down Post Office St. after dinner.

Enjoy your stay

Texreno

Listen to Texreno! You will have a great pre-cruise stay in Galveston! We, like Texreno- live too close to stay the nite, as it is only about 30 minutes away from League City (lucky us!) But I have been in the Harbor House and it is very nice and decorated with a tasteful nautical theme, you will love it. It's right on the harbor and everything is within walking distance and if you want to visit the seawall/beach area just take the trolley. Like Texreno said- you never know about the weather, sometimes it will stay warm but sometimes after we have had a lot of nice warm weekends it will get cold and rainy for Easter:( Just check the weather before you get here.

Texreno- I wasn't born here, we are from North Texas but I grew up coming to Galveston every summer for vacation and hoped that some day I would live on it or near it and have now for over 5 years :D We never get tired of Galveston either and during this time of year, before all the tourist arrive, we try to go every weekend. My mom even bought a condo!

Per their website, all Harbor House rooms feature a view looking toward Galveston harbor. The actual view you want is toward the cruise ship terminals. You will enjoy watching the cruise ships make that fantastic U-turn when they dock early in the mornings.

Click here http://www.galveston.com/webcams/ for the Harbor Cam located atop the Harbor House. Also, about 15 - 20 minutes after they leave the dock in the afternoon, you can watch them sail past the Seawolf Cam (same link) located on Pelican Island. That is, if it is pointed in the right direction. I see it was not the last time I looked.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Listen to Texreno! You will have a great pre-cruise stay in Galveston! We, like Texreno- live too close to stay the nite, as it is only about 30 minutes away from League City (lucky us!) But I have been in the Harbor House and it is very nice and decorated with a tasteful nautical theme, you will love it. It's right on the harbor and everything is within walking distance and if you want to visit the seawall/beach area just take the trolley. Like Texreno said- you never know about the weather, sometimes it will stay warm but sometimes after we have had a lot of nice warm weekends it will get cold and rainy for Easter:( Just check the weather before you get here.

Texreno- I wasn't born here, we are from North Texas but I grew up coming to Galveston every summer for vacation and hoped that some day I would live on it or near it and have now for over 5 years :D We never get tired of Galveston either and during this time of year, before all the tourist arrive, we try to go every weekend. My mom even bought a condo!

Thanks for the comments Thoneycu. I don't know your age but the Strand & Cruise Terminal area of Galveston has changed quite a bit from my teen years. It was and area frequented by lonely sailors while in port when I was a teen. From that to the a family attraction in 35 years, who'd of thought? I guess you now know how old I am.

Per their website' date=' [u']all[/u] Harbor House rooms feature a view looking toward Galveston harbor. The actual view you want is toward the cruise ship terminals. You will enjoy watching the cruise ships make that fantastic U-turn when they dock early in the mornings.

Click here http://www.galveston.com/webcams/ for the Harbor Cam located atop the Harbor House. Also, about 15 - 20 minutes after they leave the dock in the afternoon, you can watch them sail past the Seawolf Cam (same link) located on Pelican Island. That is, if it is pointed in the right direction. I see it was not the last time I looked.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

THANKS KAT

A MOST HELPFUL HINT. I DO SEE THAT ON THEIR WEBSITE. I WISH THEIR REP'S WERE AS HELPFUL. WHEN I CALLED, THEY DID NOT LET ME KNOW THAT ALL THE ROOMS FACE THE HARBOR, AND WHEN I'VE E-MAILED, I'VE GOTTEN NO RESPONSE.

THANKS KAT

A MOST HELPFUL HINT. I DO SEE THAT ON THEIR WEBSITE. I WISH THEIR REP'S WERE AS HELPFUL. WHEN I CALLED, THEY DID NOT LET ME KNOW THAT ALL THE ROOMS FACE THE HARBOR, AND WHEN I'VE E-MAILED, I'VE GOTTEN NO RESPONSE.

I did not receive a response to my email either and when I called she didn't tell me that all rooms had a harbor view. I requested a harbor room where I could see our cruise ship come in. She said that she could not guarantee it but she would note the reservation. I was hoping for a little more customer service.

You are most welcome!

Just a B. O. I.* that is glad to be of service,

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

* The folks from 'round here know what it means. And to the other folks, no... it does not mean Below Ordinary Intelligence!

We have stayed there twice - it is important to note that certain times of the year they require a 2 night stay. Also - as far as walking to the terminal know that if you are cruising RCCL, their terminal is the last one and the walk, while short in duration, is not fun in heat, pulling wheeled luggage over rough pavement and breathing exhaust fumes from the cars. Pay the measly $7 for a cab. You'll be glad you did and you will not arrive sweaty and wheezing. Harbour House is very small - it is a single check in desk with personnel ranging from fabulous to adequate. As mentioned only 39 rooms. Yes they all "face" the harbour but only a few rooms have an actual view of the cruise ships. Don't set yourself up for disappointment on being able to see your ship from the room - there's probably only 4-6 of them that can actually provide that. It is a convenient no frills place with very large rooms. Great place for breakfast within walking distance is the Phoenix Bakery. Harbour House keeps a book of local restaurant menus in their very small lobby which is also helpful.

For those of you that don't have a room with a window to watch the ships sail in.

There is a restaurant on the water attached to the same building as the Harbor House Hotel. The restaurant has steps and an outside patio with a front row view of the port and cruise terminal. The ships have to pass directly in front of you to get to the terminal. Just get dressed, grab a cup of coffee and sit on the steps or the patio. I think the restaurant is Landry's Oyster Bar but I'm not sure. Either way, I don't think it's open as early as the cruise ships dock so you'll have to find a place for the coffee and bring it with you.

I did not receive a response to my email either and when I called she didn't tell me that all rooms had a harbor view. I requested a harbor room where I could see our cruise ship come in. She said that she could not guarantee it but she would note the reservation. I was hoping for a little more customer service.

ME TOO!

For those of you that don't have a room with a window to watch the ships sail in.

There is a restaurant on the water attached to the same building as the Harbor House Hotel. The restaurant has steps and an outside patio with a front row view of the port and cruise terminal. The ships have to pass directly in front of you to get to the terminal. Just get dressed, grab a cup of coffee and sit on the steps or the patio. I think the restaurant is Landry's Oyster Bar but I'm not sure. Either way, I don't think it's open as early as the cruise ships dock so you'll have to find a place for the coffee and bring it with you.

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME TIP. I'D RATHER BE OUTSIDE ANYWAY.

texreno - Landry's Oyster Bar is no longer open. We too live a short distance from Galveston but have stayed in many Galveston hotels for short getaways and relaxation. It is by far one of our favorite places to go.

By the HostKat my daughter is a B.O.I. and very proud of it.

texreno - Landry's Oyster Bar is no longer open. We too live a short distance from Galveston but have stayed in many Galveston hotels for short getaways and relaxation. It is by far one of our favorite places to go.

By the HostKat my daughter is a B.O.I. and very proud of it.

That shouldn't matter if all they are looking for is a spot to view the ships coming into port. Are the steps and patio still there?

Of course the steps and patio or still there. But no tables. There are benches all up and down that area to sit and watch. I just thought someone might want to know the Oyster Bar is no longer an option for a quick bite to eat.

Of course the steps and patio or still there. But no tables. There are benches all up and down that area to sit and watch. I just thought someone might want to know the Oyster Bar is no longer an option for a quick bite to eat.

nonna5 - Sorry, the question wasn't intended to be sarcastic. I thought that since the restaurant was closed they might have taken out the steps and patio to put something else in.

• 2 weeks later...
We have stayed there twice - it is important to note that certain times of the year they require a 2 night stay. Also - as far as walking to the terminal know that if you are cruising RCCL, their terminal is the last one and the walk, while short in duration, is not fun in heat, pulling wheeled luggage over rough pavement and breathing exhaust fumes from the cars. Pay the measly $7 for a cab. You'll be glad you did and you will not arrive sweaty and wheezing. Harbour House is very small - it is a single check in desk with personnel ranging from fabulous to adequate. As mentioned only 39 rooms. Yes they all "face" the harbour but only a few rooms have an actual view of the cruise ships. Don't set yourself up for disappointment on being able to see your ship from the room - there's probably only 4-6 of them that can actually provide that. It is a convenient no frills place with very large rooms. Great place for breakfast within walking distance is the Phoenix Bakery. Harbour House keeps a book of local restaurant menus in their very small lobby which is also helpful.

This is good advice. If you can't find a cab, or the $7, then drive your own car to the drop-off point, unload everything, and send one person (the best walker) back to park at Harbor House.

Hi!

Just returned from our 3/25/2007 RCCL out of Galveston. We stayed/parked at the Harbor House. We adored the hotel itself and yes, we did walk back from the RCCL terminal. We are in our 30s and very active, but it is quite a treck hauling alot of luggage. Sure was great to avoid alot of the shuttles/bus/van mess though! If you have any reservations, get a taxi. We had a great room for $150.00 per night + $10 initial parking + $30.00 cruise park X 1 wk. They offer Starbucks coffee both in the room as well as for continental breakfast but also be aware that it is a very limited continental breakfast with a couple or rolls, juice and yogurt and some fruit.

We will be back someday :)

also enjoyed our stay the night before we set sail, on April 1st, but the staff was not very easy to work with....i guess when they know they have the hotel sold out they could care less about customer service....

I am refering to the customer service desk.....not staffed at times,

watch out for the older white male gentleman who is working the parking lot as a scam artists, states that a black male stoles his wifes purses, and had her medication and $1800 in the purse, tries to apply the guilt trip techinique on ya......but since i am a former Police Officer i picked up on this right away.....The gentleman wants you to loan him $20 for his wife's co-pay for the medicine, he even goes as far as to state that he is sailing with you on the same ship....even offers to lend his watch as collateral.

If you havent been to the island before you would believe his story....

As i went in and talked with the clerk working the window/desk, they stated that the scam artists was working the parking lot again...but they didnt not know what he looked like, so i pointed him out, and the hotel did nothing....i figured they would have at least contacted the police and had the subjected, trespassed for doing this on the hotel property. But this never happen.

Also dont believe the words from management when they tell you your room is going to be ready at 4pm, Our room wasnt ready till like 5pm.

But we liked the location of the hotel, and the proximity to the pier....the hotel is lacking in the continental breakfast area...you would thank $175 a night hotel bill that I paid would have been at least had dry ceral or something else...besides a bagel and a crossant sandwich for breakfast.

As for the room, it was huge and clean, had a refridge, microwave, and widescreen tv, very nice beds, a couch and chair.

Would recommend, but just be weary of the staffing issues!

We stayed at the Harbor House on March 24th. Our flight got into Houston at 11:00 and we didn't arrive to the Harbor House until midnight. We were tired, hungry, and very much looking forward to getting some sleep.

When we got to the hotel we were greeted by a wonderful desk receptionist and she was more than helpful - my kids, 15 and 16 years old even commented on how friendly, helpful, cheerful and full of energy she was. Our room was BETTER than expected! Two large beds, a nice size bathroom and a couch (which my daughter used as her bed). We ordered Domino's - as that was the ONLY thing open in terms of getting something to eat (and we needed delivery) - my advice - DON'T ORDER Domino's while there - we waited almost an hour and a half for it to be delivered and it was horrible... not the hotel's fault, mind you... just bring your own snacks if you plan to nibble on food late in the evening.

The day of our cruise departure we checked out at noon, left our locked luggage downstairs with the front desk, and walked to a fabulous restaurant right outside the door. Ate the best oysters and seafood as we sat outside staring at The Conquest, eagerly waiting to board.

I highly recommend the Harbor House Hotel... it's beautifully decorated (the rooms) and they had a bowl of free fresh fruit on every floor - which we took advantage of :)

Enjoy your cruise!

One more thing... Harbor House Hotel accepts the Entertainment Book Discount... we paid $98 plus tax - never once did we give our entertainment book card number, it's worth trying to ask for the discount when making reservations.... I can't believe some of you had to pay $175 for the night! Yikes!!

Archived