Cruisng During Hurricane Season Worth It To You?

All of your know the drastic reduction in price during hurricane season - is it worth it to you to cruise during that time? What has been your experience and would you book another one during that time to save the money?

DH and I did our first cruise during hurricane season 10/05. We had very rocky seas and I was on the verge of nausauness the whole time (never thought it would be me to feel somewhat ill). DH doesn't want to go again during hurricane season, but the price difference is definitely something to consider.

What has been your experience if you cruised during this time and would you do it again?

We did our first "hurricane" season cruise last year and would definitely do it again. We actually sailed between two hurricanes so the seas were pretty rough but the Explorer handled it beautifully. We didn't actually realize the extent of the waves until we went on the Oceanographic Lab tour and the guide was gushing over the size of the waves which were over 20 feet. Neither of us ever felt nauseous, it just made for some interesting walking especially in heels.

Actually all of our cruises were during hurricane season. It is worth the price difference plus almost 1/2 of the year is in hurricane season anyway! We did have one bad weather experience in all our cruising. It was a Canada/New England cruise of all things. We left NY in wonderful weather. (I had also checked the ocean weather north of Bermuda on the day we left, no problems). Well, Tropical Storm Nicole scooted up the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and on the next day we had 25 ft seas and 70 mph winds. It was a rough ride and many passengers were sick. The remainder of the cruise was great.

In the end, it's up to you to decide, but hurricane season is 1/2 the year and the best prices are usually in the fall. Cruise ships do avoid most of the brunt of the storm by changing ports or having additional sea days.

We sailed the same weekend Ernesto hit last August. They simply rerouted us from Grand Cayman and Key West to Belize and Costa Maya, staying on the west side of the Gulf. We barely noticed any extra waves at all. Had an absolutely wonderful time. We go back in 3 weeks, hoping to get to Grand Cayman this time.

We live in Florida north of Tampa. We agree with some of our friends that live on the east coast of Florida that we would rather be on a ship than in our house if a hurricane is coming.

The ship can get out of the way, the house can't.

We've cruised every month of the year in both the Atlantic and the Pacific and had no problems.

It's totally worth it. Ships move faster than hurricaines so if anything, you just need not to care if your western cruise suddenly becomes an eastern one. For that reason, I likely would not book my own excursions on one at this time. Hurricaine pricing put Freedom of the Seas within our reach. We had no rain whatsoever. i realise we were lucky but that's a gamble i will likely take again!

We did Disney Wonder 2 and a half years ago in August. WE flew to Orlando the day after Hurricane Charley(devastation everywhere and diverted to Tampa!). We were booked into a Disney Hotel for 4 nights before the cruise and were so lucky the hotels had power and weather fabulous for the full 4 days but trees broken, roofs missing at homes, traffic lights broken..... then went to Canaveral to board Wonder for 3 nights to Bahamas. Had FABULOUS smooth journey and weather. Great cruise.

After the cruise we disembarked on a lovely day, headed for the villa we were due to stay in for a week in Orlando. Headline news 3 days later was that another hurricane was on its way.... Hurricane Frances! We were due to fly home to UK Saturday and it was due to hit Orlando Saturday am so Orlando airport to close Friday( we had to get out as couple of weeks before there were no flights to UK for a week after Charley and then a back log. No power at vila meant no hot water, not electricity, no fridge, pool pump.... things you take for granted). This was WEdnesday so we called US Airways who managed to change our flights to Friday. Then called us back to say now closing airport Friday!. WE had to drive to Jacksonville that night to get a flight to Philadelphia (took us 8 hours to get to Jacksonville along with a million evacuees from the Gulf Coast!!!:eek: )Very scary.No fuel left for sale for about 6 miles and we wer near empty:eek: After a night in a motel near Jacksonville (the only room at 1am we could get) called "Sleepy Hollow"... honestly that was the name:eek: ,we headed to Philly by plane. Had fab 2 days in Philly before flying home.

So the question "would I cruise again again in hurricane season?" Absolutely YES. We got 2 hurricanes (major ones) at either end of the vacation, lots of luck with the cruise in between and pretty good weather and LOTS of excitement!!!! Go for it.:) Hollyanna

We usually take a summer vacation every year during hurricane season. One year we took a land vacation on the south side of Jamaica and Hurricane Emily, a Category 5 storm, just missed the island. We had torrential rains and flooding. We decided after that experience that we will only cruise during hurricane season because the ships can get out of harms way. The only concern is if the airport is getting hit the day we fly.

And the prices are great! ;)

My theory is that there are more weeks during the hurricane season when there are no storms and none on the horizon, than there are hurricanes and the number of hurricanes varies significantly from year to year (witness the difference between 2005 and 2006). We have sailed during hurricane season and most of the time have been unaffected by the storms, although in 2002 we were on the fringes of hurricane Gustave and encountered high winds and swells of 60 feet for about a day and a half of our transatlantic cruise. In 2005, we were held up in Bermuda for almost a full day, as Wilma passed by on its way north. The lower fares make it a relatively good bet, but in the final analysis, I would always consider the situation at the time of sailing before deciding whether or not to sail. Loss of our cruise payment is not too high a price to pay for personal safety.:)

Our insurance this time covers weather, either at home or in route. (We don’t buy our insurance through the cruise line.) This is something you can consider while making your decision.

Hi there!!:)

We drive down EVERY year from Ontario, Canada to go cruising from either Baltimore or Cape Liberty, NJ.

Our first cruise was in September 2004 on the Grandeur of the Seas, I was so terrified that I cancelled it and then my sister and her hubby and my hubby talked me back into it. I am terrified of going on the water in boats, ( yes, I know that cruiseships are "ships")no matter how big or little, so that's why I cancelled.

When we got to the pier in Baltimore, we were handed a sheet saying that because of Hurricane Jeanne, we would not be going to any of the ports we were supposed to be going to...OH OH.....the hurricane was coming up the coast so we went out to Bermuda first. It was the first cruise for us and it was AMAZING! NO problems with hurricanes at all!

We book every year in Sept or early October. You will not regret booking then, just go and have a great time, and the captain would NOT take you into a hurricane, so no worries.

Have a great time

Comet Cruiser

Gail

If you are like me and want to cruise every few months, you are going to be cruising at least once a year during hurricane season.

I never thought of it as cruising because the prices are down. Hey, maybe prices will drop between now and late October when I booked because of it being hurricane season? A nice big discount would be sweet.

All of your know the drastic reduction in price during hurricane season - is it worth it to you to cruise during that time? What has been your experience and would you book another one during that time to save the money?

What has been your experience if you cruised during this time and would you do it again?

Considering that the official hurricane season covers 1/2 the year, it's hard to avoid it.

We got bit one time. Our July 2005 cruise to Bermuda was re-routed within 11 hours of boarding to Canada due to Tropical Storm Franklin churning the seas between NJ and Bermuda. As most of the passengers were either sleeping or traveling to the port, many arrived literally ill-suited to trade anticipated 80 degree sunshine for 52 degree fog and wind.

Due to legacy maritime laws, for the ship to dock anywhere it had to be a foreign port. And with a limited 5 day cruise from the NYC area the only alternative to Bermuda was St. John and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Having said that, be sure you leave from a port with options, i.e., the Florida, San Juan and Texas ports. If they need to be diverted, they can still make it to similar islands and you can still enjoy the experience you've anticipated.

So by all means, book during the season (you may wish to buffer your choice with arrival/departure from the port city +/- 1 day to account for possible air travel hitches.

Beware that departing from NY/NJ, Philadelphia, Boston and possibly Baltimore may leave you someplace entirely different from where you planned.

In 2004 we took our first RCCL cruise aboard Mariner in August between Hurricane Charlie and Hurricane Frances. It was perfect. This past September, we were told that on the last night at sea that we were on the "outskirts" of a hurricane. I didn't feel it at all, my husband said that it was a little rocky but not bad.

I would take out cruise insurance and then not hesitate to book during August, September and October. In fact, we're booked AGAIN on Mariner 9/23 this year. Can't wait. RCCL is not going to risk a multi-million dollar ship and put it in harms way NOR will they risk the guests on board.

Hubby and I cruise manily during the huricane season. We normally go after September our aniv is Oct so that makes sense to do it then. The weather is still very warm in the caribbean like hi 80's. We live in FL and drive to the port but the only downside as you may not go where you want to if the ship is differted. Prices are cheaper too. We noramlly do 2 cruises a year a 3/5 night in Feb/March and 7 night plus in the fall sometimes we add the days prior to our trip. Lasy year we did 2 nights at WDW this time we are doing 2 nights prior to our Hawaii cruise. Take out insurance!

Lexi

I got to thinking about this recently. We took our first cruise a couple of years ago on the Conquest (Carnival) and luckily missed Katrina by 2 weeks! What got me thinking tho is this-- I want to go back but I've decided I don't want or NEVER will go to the caribbean again during summer! IT'S TOO HOT!

Although we enjoyed our trip immensely--it was extremely hot and Humid--hopefully we can go back another time maybe sometime between Oct and maybe March or April and it won't be so hot. We had alot of people say don't go at that time -1 because you're taking chances with hurricaines and 2 because of the heat and humidity--we did it tho because we were celebrating our 20th anniversary that August.

Our anniversary is in September so we always cruise that time of year. The ships have always been able to avoid any storms and we usually have outstanding weather! And much cheaper balconies!

On another note, we live in FL so it's a bit stessful going away when a storm is heading your way because you worry about your house!

We always cruised in Oct. because of our anniversary. Now I cruise in the fall for the lower prices. So far I've been lucky to miss any hurricanes. I just book my cruises knowing that my ports "could" change & buy insurance!:D

this will be our first cruise in Sept...but daughter wanted to be on a cruise for her birthday Oct. 1...so hope it's going to be ok...but then we've cruised in late Oct. and was effected by hurricane Wilma but did it ruin our vacation ...no we even had the b2b and had to do the first week over again the same for our second week...I also agree they are good about going around...we did have some not so nice days. But just then had fun inside the ship:)

Archived