rough seas

dpomes

I can speak to the Gulf of Mexico in October, early November. It is rough. I know that from living on South Padre Island for a few weeks every year in August and in October.

dpomes, I noticed that you cruised quite a bit in April. How have you found the seas?

I can speak to the Gulf of Mexico in October, early November. It is rough. I know that from living on South Padre Island for a few weeks every year in August and in October.

dpomes, I noticed that you cruised quite a bit in April. How have you found the seas?

We have done all caribbean cruises (east and west). In April, we have found the seas to be calm for the most part, but we have also lucked out with nice weather. We have never sailed out of NOLA, though, and I have heard different things about sailing down the river.

When we cruised in September, we noticed seas were a lot rougher on the west coast than in the Caribbean. Of course that could have been the ship too--as it was much smaller than our Conquest the previous year??

(we were on the Monarch)--not a big deal--and by the 2nd day we were adjusted to the additional movement.

We have done all caribbean cruises (east and west). In April, we have found the seas to be calm for the most part, but we have also lucked out with nice weather. We have never sailed out of NOLA, though, and I have heard different things about sailing down the river.

Rough water in the Mississippi River boy someone is sure feeding you a line of bull.

The biggest waves in the river will be the ones CAUSED by your cruise ship. Your ship will not raise or lower a bit on its trip up or down the river.

Once in sea water the ship will actually ride a little higher in the water but that is because it has left fresh water and is now in salt water.

Any motion from the vessel moving from side to side while in the Mississippi River is caused by the vessel changing directions to remain in the correct channel going down the twisting river.

Now in the Gulf of Mexico it can get choppy any time a weather front moves through the area.

Now in the fall we have been known to get a few waves from a hurricane or two in the Gulf of Mexico.

When we cruised in September, we noticed seas were a lot rougher on the west coast than in the Caribbean. Of course that could have been the ship too--as it was much smaller than our Conquest the previous year??

(we were on the Monarch)--not a big deal--and by the 2nd day we were adjusted to the additional movement.

Let me clarify, The trip on the conquest was out of NO and was great! I loved the trip down the river! What I was talking about was the Monarch out of Los Angeles. That's where I noticed there was a little more movement on that ship than we had on the Conquest (caribbean) The pacific Ocean I think tends to be a little more choppy. It wasn't bad --just we felt the ship move more on that trip than we did on our first cruise. We could have felt it more for various reasons--the Monarch is a smaller and older ship, we were at a lower level--Conquest was bigger, different propulsion, newer and we were on a much higher level as well. Deck 10 versus deck 4. Both trips were great and after the first day--I hardly noticed the movement on the Monarch.

How are the seas in Western Caribbean in December?

Sometimes they are smooth as glass and sometimes they are rough. It depends more on the conditions at the time you sail than on the month you sail. Weather is difficult to predict and you do so at your peril. Larger ships may seem to handle high seas better, but remember how miniscule even the largest ship is in comparison to the vast ocean it is sailing in. Stabilizers can only do so much to minimize the effects of rough seas. If you are at all prone to seasickness, take preventive measures before you board.

It's all weather-dependant! Our 1st cruise in Aprill was HORRENDOUSLY ROUGH!!! It was very difficult walking up and down the stairs! That was a 4-day Key West, Coco Cay, Bahamas, cruise. We've been on April cruises since then that were smooth as glass--couldn't tell we were on a ship! It's always a crapshoot! Good luck!

Rough water in the Mississippi River boy someone is sure feeding you a line of bull.

Any motion from the vessel moving from side to side while in the Mississippi River is caused by the vessel changing directions to remain in the correct channel going down the twisting river.

That is what I was told. A friend of mine sailed on Carnival's Celebration (one of their smaller ships), and she was surprised at the extreme side to side swaying as they moved down the river. It was her first cruise, and she didn't know what to expect.

We are doing the Southern Caribbean out of Bayonne/NY in Dec. I'll let you know than!

Rougher seas are to be expected out of NY from late Oct. thru April. :)

That's what Bonine is for:D

We are on your favourite ship (Explorer :)) May 11 out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda and then south to E. Carib. I know you mentioned "through April", are we going to catch some remaining rough water or is it a crapshoot?

Archived