Birthday or Anniversary Cake in Anytime Dining Venue

skarletohara

I know with traditional dining, they always seem to keep it straight whose

having a birthday or anniversary or other special occasion and they will

bring a little cake.

I was wondering how one goes about receiving an anniversary or

birthday cake in anytime dining since you have different waiters every night.

Should one contact the maitre 'd?

I had a birthday on the Diamond Princess last week using anytime dining. They found me without asking. If you make a reservation (highly recommended if you expect to eat when you want; see my other post), they have your cabin number as part of the reservation. The celebration info (if you included it online) is connected.

No problem at all.

or just have someone mention it to your waiter at the start of the meal

I did this with my wife’s birthday last time out, worked out very simply.

What I was more impressed with was the “cake”. Several years ago, went during an anniversary and was foolish enough to put that info on the Personalizer page. Tacky “happy anniversary “ poster from a computer printer and some balloons showed up on the door. At dinner, big presentation, with singing waiter no less, of a six inch extremely dry, still frozen in the middle, uniced, chocolate cake. Had to choke down several bites under the eyes of about five smiling waiters.

Anyway, this last November and were on the Dawn and it’s the wife’s birthday. I see what someone else got at another table and with about four words, things were put in motion. This time they presented a chocolate concoction somewhere between a cake and a tort. Looked and tasted great, and more importantly was fresh.

On the Sun we had anytime dining, but on DH's birthday we ended up at the buffet. When we returned to our cabin, his B'day Cake was sitting on the coffee table with a little Happy Birthday card. Never have figured out how they knew we did not make it to the diningroom that evening?????

We cruised to Alaska on the Island last year for DH 60th birthday; we had also requested PC dining. When I made the cabin reservation the Princess Reservations agent asked me if we would be celebrating an event; I told her DH's birthday. I also entered the information into the Cruise Personalizer. Upon entering the cabin on embarkation day I found a card for my birthday cake request. I was instructed to give it to the MD in the dining room that we chose to celebrate DH's birthday. Very simple and hassle free. Cake was great.

We are just off the Crown 2 weeks ago and had anytime dining and I celebrated my birthday on there. There was a card in our room wishing me a happy birthday with instructions to give this card to the head waiter when we went to dinner. It was very easy to take care of but it did take away from the "surprise" of them walking out singing happy birthday. It was like handing them a card with instructions for them to sing to you. :rolleyes: Oh well, it was still nice and I'm just glad I got something!

Past two cruise we used PC. EVERYONE had to turn over a cruise card at the door. The main reason was to keep the traditional crowd out. I would imagine it would be quite easy to link passenger information to the cabin.

Just sailed on the Dawn, and we never received our cake. Had reservations in Sterling's, and they missed the boat. I guess I should have said something...but felt strange about it. It became our little joke...."still no cake"...lol...it was okay....we did get the balloons though!

Gosh - now I feel cheated :rolleyes: Didn't even get the balloons on my door for my birthday last year on the Dawn...... And my personalizer is up-to-date~

I think even if it is in your cruise personalizer, you have to request it under special events....or what ever it's called.

Archived