Auckland Recs- Food

Brookeh424

We will be in Auckland for a couple of days and I was looking for suggestions on meals....we are up for casual or nicer, but we'd probably be more casual than anything.

Where do you have to go?? I hear NZ is known for their ice cream....suggestions on where to get. We are staying by the pier, so things that are within walking/ferry distance would be great.

If you are staying near the Princess Wharf you will have lots and lots of cafes, reataurants to choose from within walking distances. The pier is very close to the heart of the city and easily explored by foot. We dont have particular place to recommend but you wont be short of choices. Have a great time.

Mark & Matt

• 3 weeks later...

We've just returned and I have a couple of suggestions.

If you like Chinese food, definitely try China Yum Char Restaurant, Ground Floor, 2 Beach Rd, (09) 309 4808. They have great dim sum at reasonable prices and it's a clean, attractive place. We really enjoyed it. If you are going for lunch on a weekend, I recommend making a reservation because it's very popular. We almost didn't get a table on a Friday at lunchtime. It's open 7 days a week from 10.30am - 5pm and 5.30pm - 10.30pm and is within easy walking distance from the waterfront.

We also ate at Cin Cin in the Ferry Building, 99 Quay St, (09) 307 6966. It's "modern New Zealand" food (lots of seafood, interesting preparations). We found it quite good, though expensive. Nice ambiance and very convenient location. It's open 7 days from 10 am to late.

You also asked about ice cream. There are lots of good ice cream and gelato places within walking distance of the pier (including one right ON the pier) so you'll have no problem finding them! Try "hokey pokey" (butter toffee) flavor, which is a NZ specialty.

the port is about 5 minutes drive or 20 minutes walk from aucklands best "mile of restaurants". Ponsonby Road. Jammed from one end to the other, two of the best are, Pregos, an italian style retaurant on the corner of Franklin and Ponsonby road, and also the old post office (called the Belguim Beer Hall) corner of Ponsonby, St MArys Bar Road and College Hill, good choice of beers and huge searvings.

If you are looking for Indian......probably the best in town is Bollywood, corner of Pollen and Ponsonby road.

And as for ice creams...one of my favourite scoop icecreams is right on the wharf you dock at. A little shop just by the terminal entrance, as some one previously suggested, dont go passed Hokey Pokey...and they make a mean chockolate one as well..

ENJOY!

Make your way to the bottom of Queen Street and take the ferry over to Devonport. You'll find a lovely fairly typical NZ town with some nice restaurants in easy walking distance of the ferry. It's worth getting out of the city, and you'll have lovely views on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the recommendation to visit Devonport...it's a charming town with lots of cafes. If you go during the day (as we did) and feel energetic, do the scenic walk...the views were incredible. In Auckland city,we ate at the Sky Tower...Orbits restaurant. It's a bit more expensive, but the food was very good and the view more than worth the price! We liked the hokey pokey ice cream at a stall in Victoria Market but there are lots of gelato/ice cream places.

We stayed at the Hyatt Auckland and wanted simpler food after the cruise. There's the Westfield Mall near the pier. It has a food court and has a stand for take out sushi and rice bowls. We also found another Westfield Mall in New Market with a better food court. There's also plenty of small restaurants and eateries in the area. Afghan or middle eastern food is good too. We bought a day pass for the bus and took the link and hopped on and off. You can go to Parnell or Ponsonby on the bus. We visited Devonport on Easter, shops were closed but there were restaurants and cafes open. We found a killer fish and chip take away place on Victoria Street. Its sign says "Fresh Fish". It is. I don't normally eat Fish and Chips but I did in N.Z. It's really fresh. There's another fish and chip place in Waiheke Island and it's good too. One order of chips can feed a family of four so don't order extra chips, order extra fish or scallops. You can take the food and eat at the waterfront park across the street.

Back to Auckland, there are also lots of restaurants at the Viaduct near the Maritime Museum. We ate there too. It's so relaxing to eat outside with a view of the sailboats and water. Have fun...the time will go by too quickly.

We spent three nights in Auckland before boarding the Sapphire Princess for our Auckland to Sydney cruise. There are lots of terrific places to eat in Auckland. For great food and amazing views, try the Orbit Restaurant at the top of Sky Tower. Orbit

For casual lunch or dinner, try Mexicali Fresh right on Princes Wharf. Best Mexican food we have ever tasted -- and here in Oregon we have an abundance of Mexican restaurants!!! Mexicali Fresh

Here's a list of all Auckland restaurants with reviews. Auckland Restaurants

Kathy

Archived