What to do for five hours in Guernsey?

We are cruising the British Isles this July and are going to be spending five hours in Guernsey. Most of my roll call is opting to sleep in or wnader about the city. So, I'm curious, are those the best options here or is there a hidden jewel we should know about? We are a party of five with a 14 year old girl (going on 20) with us. Any suggestions would be great. I haven't been misled by this forum yet!:D

Thanks for your help!

Charlie

Hi Charlie - I know Guernsey well as my parents live there. You definitely dont want to sleep in!

Guernsey is only a small island so they dont officially have a city! Their capital is St. Peter Port - very quaint cobbled streets. You can wander along the harbour, take a bus all the way around the island, visit the numerous World War 2 German lookout posts.

The Channel Islands were the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans during WW2. The British literally allowed the Germans to occupy it knowing that if they tried to defend it, it would just be a target for airstrikes and be obliterated. The network of gun towers, bunkers and tunnels are still standing as a mark of remembrance for the time the islanders were under German rule. Visit the German occupation museum to see real footage of the moment they landed. It can be quite moving - its only small (everything is in Guernsey) but they have lots of military memorabilia etc...even down to the original posters naming those to be shot for owning radios etc!! My step-father was evacuated as a child during the war with my grandmother. My grandfather was away fighting in France. My great grandmother however stayed on and we hear many stories about her experiences even all these years later.

The island supposedly has more greenhouses than houses! Flowers from Guernsey are sent all over the world.

You MUST experience a Guernsey tea with Guernsey cream - no cream like it anywhere!

If you had more time I would suggest a trip to Sark - the island has no cars (they are illegal) so everyone travels by horse, bicycle or foot.

Visit the castle and its museum to see the maritime history of Guernsey.

Crystal blue sea, wonderful cliff walks, clean air ...DO NOT SLEEP IN!

Guernsey rolls at a slow pace - there are no trains etc...its not big enough. Best way to see it is by bus on the coastal route. The harbour is lovely too.

Look out for the honesty boxes on the walls.....people grow flowers, fruit and vegetables and display them outside their houses with an honesty box of money. You just choose what you want to buy and put the money in the tin!

Any further questions - I would be happy to help!:)

I read this first over on our Roll Calls. Let me thank you for posting that so everyone could see it. I think now we have plenty of options - will definitely let 'the boys' know about the war sites.

Forgot to mention this before, but we used to have Guernseys (along with Holsteins and Jerserys) growing up on our farm. We had one that was a real go-er. She could get over or through any fence around - perhaps that was reflected of her independent spirit from her birthright!

We look forward to visiting your beautiful island.

Again, my fondest mahalos

Charlie

You're welcome Charlie...

If you want to try some Guernsey fare, go to a bakers and ask for a fresh Gauche (pronounced Gosh).....when you get back to your cabin, have a slice with butter. Mmmmm...my granny always gets me a fresh gauche when I go home!!! Its like a fruit loaf.

A nice momento for the girls would be Sark stone jewellry. Its a purple stone from the isle of Sark (go figure!!), for dress jewellry, but very pretty. You'll see it in most of the jewellry shops.

Have a wonderful time and if you would like any more info...just shout me here!:)

When I was there last spring we did an Island Tour run by Crystal. Saw some wonderful sights around the island and had tea and scones with fresh strawberries and clotted cream at a lovely artisans farm. Not to be missed. Then walked around old Town the rest of the afternoon. It was one of the highlights of my British Isles Cruise!

Even better and better - I was sort of afriad that this would be a lackluster port, but I can see now that it's not going to happen. Thank you all for the info. Loved the thought of picking up a Sark stone - my sister loves earrings, so that might be perfect for her.

Calibre - thanks for the heads up about the tea. Reminds me of one we had in Christchurch.

This is one of the great things about CC - the ability to connect with others is so helpful and reassuring when heading for foriegn shores.

Cheers!

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

As we have the same "problem" to fill out the day we are calling St. Peter Port by NORWEGIAN DREAM in few weeks:

we booked a car from a car-rental (about 50 GBP) and a guide (55 GBP for 3 hours) and let her plan something for us.

Hope to see the best of Guernsey. And still have some time to see St. Peter Port.

After reading this thread: we will test the Guernsey tea and Guernsey cream. Let's see if we taste the difference.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Charlie, I'm hoping that we'll see some tours listed for Guernsey...but after reading the replies here, I wonder if I'll even bother with a tour. Sounds like there is plenty to see.

I was very disappointed in 2005 to find out our ship made a "courtesy call" at Guernsey early the first morning, and I only found out about it just after we'd departed. I at least could have taken some photos. I've always been curious why we went to St. Peter Port after leaving Southampton.

It does strike me as odd that the ship stops here, but offers nothing by way of a tour - a little the situation on Christmas Island. Still there's plenty to amuse ourselves with. We're nothing if not resourceful!

Charlie

I was very disappointed in 2005 to find out our ship made a "courtesy call" at Guernsey early the first morning, and I only found out about it just after we'd departed. I at least could have taken some photos. I've always been curious why we went to St. Peter Port after leaving Southampton.
Was your ship otherwise calling only at EU ports? If so, then the reason was to allow the ship to sell duty- and tax-free goods. To be allowed to do that, the ship must call at a port outside the EU, like Guernsey. Otherwise, the cruise would have been entirely "domestic" for customs purposes, with no duty- or tax-free sales allowed.

Cruises that depart from Southampton have the luxury of being able to do this very easily by calling at one of the Channel Islands (usually Guernsey, IME). It's very rarely advertised commercially. But when you next cruise on an EU-only itinerary departing from Southampton, ask whether there will be such a brief call (sometimes only a 20-minute stop), and when it will be.

can you tell me where to find a guide..we are traveling with two elderly (75 and 77 years) women who would do better in a private car than trying to climb up and town bus stairs.

can you tell me where to find a guide..we are traveling with two elderly (75 and 77 years) women who would do better in a private car than trying to climb up and town bus stairs.

Hello,

we got by return of mail within 24 hours a message from

<Margaret.Sealy@cultureleisure.gov.gg>

who send us a list of the available tour guides.

As we have the same problem that we have elder people with us we checked the availability of a car with driver. We asked our tour guide for a recommendation:

Intransit Phone 01481 700066 or Fax 716661

The manager is Miss Lauren Le Feuvre

Our tour guide told us that then it becomes opposite because of insurance purposes: the car company hires the tour guide and offers a complet package.

If you still can drive yourself you can also book a car with

Value rent-a-car

They have a car rental collection point at the port and you can order your car for reasonable price in the internet.

So we just ordered our tour guide to the car rental station and meet her there.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello:

I am in similar situation as one of us cannot do the 7-7a bus in Guernsey.

For our upcoming August cruise, I booked an "Island Tour" 2-3 hrs(1-4 people)(no deposit, pay at time of service) thru deltataxis.co.uk. 25bps per hour. Asked for just a drive around island and also requested going inland to see the flower growers. They mention "island tour" on their website and have been very accommodating via email.

The drivers are not likely to be "fancy" guides, but would be locals and likely very familiar with the island.

This seemed a reasonable option for the 3 of us given no ships tours. You might try them.

Martha

We've booked the British Isles cruise for 2008 and it has a 9 hour stop there. I had planned on treating it like a sea day, but after reading this thread I'm really looking forward to seeing the Island ;)

We are visiting Guernsey in July on our Oceana, P&O cruise and are looking forward to returning there so much.

I was last there in 1963, (when I was 11 years old) as a Boy Scout. We were on a camping holiday. (in tents (to avoid any confusion!))

We explored the occupation bunkers, and, believe it or not, found a Germans soldiers helmet and also a dagger with a **** insignia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

we are just back from NORWEGIAN DREAM which called St. Peter Port for a couple of hours.

We ordered a car with Valuerentacar by internet as they display that they have a port office there. Later we find out that they are also the agent of AVIS on Guernsey and EUROPCAR has also cars for rent around the port area if they were ordered before. Once we arrived we saw also at the end of the ferry port entrance to the promenade / clock tower there was another local rent-a-car company 2 minutes away.

A personal guide was ordered which was recommended by the Guernsey Tourist Office - who gave a list of the authorized guides.

When we arrived with the tender an agent of the car rental company waited at the tender berth.

Our tour guide offered us to drive us in our rented car so we had to pay 5 GBP extra for registring the 2nd driver. After we found out how narrow "interstates" on Guernsey could be and with little experience in right-wheel-drive and left-side-traffic we thought the 5 GPB investment was the best investments of my life.

We had a great time with our tour guide:

It was ROSAMUNDE PILCHER "live".

Some impressions from our 3-hours-drive (incl. walk!!! - have good shoes with you!!!):

2007NCLDreamGsyWood-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamGsyCliff-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamGsyCoast-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamGsyCoast2-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamGsyChapel-vi.jpg

Although we were well prepared we trusted our tour guide who composed a small tour for Guernsey-first-timers and showing at this time of the year the nicest attractions: the nature! She did her job very well: good reason's to come back again.

The rest of the time we used to browse throught the city center and walk to the lighthouse to make some nice pictures of our ship. On the way to the lighthouse: Shopping - shopping - shopping due to tax free-status.

Have enough POUND STERLING with you. If you change from other currencies or withdraw money from ATM you get GUERNSEY POUND. Same value but not accepted in free circulation on "continental" Britain. POUND STERLING are accepted in all shops on Guernsey.

We did not expect: it take about 25 minutes walk back to the tender berth: so we got our last tender...

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed - thanks so very much for the great info. May I ask what the cost was for the guide and rental car?

I am now so looking forward to this port stop. We will be there on May 24th!!!

Nancy

May I ask what the cost was for the guide and rental car?

We paid about 45 GBP for the car (4 hours) and 55 GBP for the guide (3 hours).

But do not be too disappointed if it looks totally different when you come in the next weeks...

It could be that there is a total different vegetation once you'll come.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works BUT we have had Guernsey as a port of call on two occasions both times the weather has stopped us form actually calling there. Hope you have better luck and enjoy the island.

Archived