Ultimate Balcony Dining Q's

Jess777

It's been a long time since I cruised with Princess and there are a few new features I just found out, one was this Ultimate Balcony Dining which they serve a multi-course gourmet dinner in your own state room balcony with a waitstaff. Has anyone experianced this? If so is there and extra charge for it.

There is also a balcony breakfast which is much less costly... $25 per couple I believe. I plan on trying this on my upcoming cruise...our first on Princess. I have heard very good reviews about the breakfast and the dinner though so if money is no object then go for it. I am sure it will be very special!

Husband & I are planning on the Ultimate Balcony Dinner to celebrate our anniversary on our upcoming Grand cruise (3/31). I've heard such wonderful things about it. Does anyone know what the menu consists of? I was told by Princess CSR that we couldn't "pre-order" it, but to book it through room service upon arrival to our cabin.

You got the right information about ordering, just call room service when you get to your cabin as they usually only do two per evening ship-wide.

The menu is:

your favorite cocktail

assorted canapes

crab in a puff pastry

Mesclun green salad with pear and walnuts w/balsamic vinaigrette

your choice of twin lobster tails or a filet mignon w/a lobster tail

followed by a four chocolate mousse that is to die for.

all accompanied by a split of Moet Chandon White Star champagne, a beautiful flower arrangement that is yours to keep and an 8x10 photograph taken by the ship's photographer.

I promise it will be an evening not soon forgotten.

Mike:)

Husband & I are planning on the Ultimate Balcony Dinner to celebrate our anniversary on our upcoming Grand cruise (3/31). I've heard such wonderful things about it. Does anyone know what the menu consists of? I was told by Princess CSR that we couldn't "pre-order" it, but to book it through room service upon arrival to our cabin.

We did the UBD for our anniversary on the Grand last year. In a nutshell:

You get a cocktail on your choice

Appetizer (can't remember what, though!:o )

Salad course

Entree: either prime rib, or lobster or both!!!!

Dessert plate

I'm sure someone who has done this more recently (or has a better memory) can fill in the menu items more.

You also get champagne with dinner, flowers, and a photo. The waitstaff will come in and set up your table with linens, crystal, etc. After serving each course, they wait outside your stateroom until it is time to serve the next course. Very romantic, and very yummy!!!

Enjoy!

It's a very special way to celebrate an anniversary. For the $50 PP you get cocktails, ordeaurves, flower arrangement, wine, and a photo by the ship photographer.The food is first class, go for it.

Detective Mom, if you order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on The Grand your head waiter will probably be Alex and you are in for a real treat. He coordinated our meal 2/12/2007 and everything was just perfect for our party of 8. He was very professional and unobtrusive in every way and then while serving coffee post dinner the lid to the carafe popped off and shot onto the table. . .well we laughed (we had also had a bartender there during dinner), Alex simply picked up the top screwed it back onto the carafe and continued serving coffee until it popped off the second time landing on the table and then he simply said, "As much as one prepares, sometimes things just don't go according to plan" and broke into a big grin. Everytime we saw him for the rest of the week, he would ask if we needed coffee.:D :D

Detective Mom, if you order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on The Grand your head waiter will probably be Alex and you are in for a real treat. He coordinated our meal 2/12/2007 and everything was just perfect for our party of 8. He was very professional and unobtrusive in every way and then while serving coffee post dinner the lid to the carafe popped off and shot onto the table. . .well we laughed (we had also had a bartender there during dinner), Alex simply picked up the top screwed it back onto the carafe and continued serving coffee until it popped off the second time landing on the table and then he simply said, "As much as one prepares, sometimes things just don't go according to plan" and broke into a big grin. Everytime we saw him for the rest of the week, he would ask if we needed coffee.:D :D

Awesome story Mike! I am looking forward to our private dinner ...as much as this is my anniversary present, somehow my dd & ds edged their way onto this trip....along with my MIL. :rolleyes:

Well, I wasn't going to do this because I thought it was too expensive. But you folks have convinced otherwise. I think I will celebrate my wife being the most wonderful woman in the world...that sounds like a pretty good reason to me!

Thanks all!

Tom:)

I have done both the breakfast and the dinner and they are both great. The dinner is certainly more special as you have your ‘own’ waiter for the evening to bring each course individually. The breakfast is brought all at once and not served by the course.

If there is something you don’t care for it isn’t a problem at all – I don’t eat any seafood and both meals include seafood. I simply tell them ahead of time and have always received something else in its place that did please me.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a bargain at $50pp and the price of the Balcony Breakfast has increased to $28 per couple.

Mike, interesting as we just received pre-cruise packet for Emerald Princess in May and Cruise Answer Book shows #3009 Ultimate Balcony Dining Breakfast at $25.00 per couple. I might have thought it went up and they hadn't updated the cruise answer book, but it is the new book as it has the revised Captain's Circle information in it that includes days/cruises and the new Internet Cafe credits (vs. free) for Platinum and Elite.

Steve

Mike, interesting as we just received pre-cruise packet for Emerald Princess in May and Cruise Answer Book shows #3009 Ultimate Balcony Dining Breakfast at $25.00 per couple. I might have thought it went up and they hadn't updated the cruise answer book, but it is the new book as it has the revised Captain's Circle information in it that includes days/cruises and the new Internet Cafe credits (vs. free) for Platinum and Elite.

Steve

If you check the Princess website under the 'gifts' section, it does have the price now listed as $28 instead of $25 for the UBB. What they do is just send you a little note telling you of the price increase if you pre-book it, and then charge you the extra $3. That has actually happened to us on some excursions before also. We booked at one price, get to the ship, and a note in our mail box tells us that the price was increased. Happens all the time.

You can order the breakfast on the gift section at Princess. The Ultimate Balcony Dinner can not be pre-reserved, reservations must be made when you board your ship. All it takes is a simple phone call. ;)

That's Toto. We were in full suite on the last 2 cruises so I didn't bother with this as we could order the full menu. I thought that the breakfast would be a nice surprise for my husband one morning.

If I order it as a gift, do I simply call them once on board to arrange the morning that I want? I do want to speak with them as I don't eat fish so I need to make sure that I have something else.

If I order it as a gift, do I simply call them once on board to arrange the morning that I want? I do want to speak with them as I don't eat fish so I need to make sure that I have something else.

That's right. There will be a gift card in your cabin and you just call and schedule the day and time you would like it delivered.

If you check the Princess website under the 'gifts' section, it does have the price now listed as $28 instead of $25 for the UBB. What they do is just send you a little note telling you of the price increase if you pre-book it, and then charge you the extra $3. That has actually happened to us on some excursions before also. We booked at one price, get to the ship, and a note in our mail box tells us that the price was increased. Happens all the time.

Thanks all, wasn't questioning the fact that the $28 was incorrect, but making an observation regarding it is obvious the Answer Book that I received yesterday had been updated by virtue of the Captain's Circle changes, but it didn't include the change to the pricing for the balcony breakfast.

I called and ordered the breakfast as a gift to my husband, it is indeed up to the $28 which I think is still a deal. The rep actually asked if there was a specific day that I wanted so he could put that down on the order so I did it. I guess I'll see when I board if it has the date on the card.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Archived