Diamonds Internation / Tanzanite International

wrongwaywatson

Does the cruise ship own a share of these stores or do they just pay the cruise ships a large amount of money? They are really pushed on the ship and they are always the first stores that you see in the ports (they port area). Just wondering if anyone knows?

I did a little research on Diamonds International a couple of years ago. They are not owned by the cruiselines (but they are a tightly controlled family owned business). They also own Emerald Intl and Tanzinite Intl. They hire the bulk of their employees stright from the jewelry trade in India. The sales people are "given" and english name by store management to help them interact better with the customers. They do pay an "advertising" fee to the cruiselines to be the "preferred" stores. I have also been told (but cannot confirm) that they pay for the "Port Lecturers" on each ship. And that is why the cruiselines push those shops and why they guarantee your purchases from those stores. It is a double edged sword. You don't really get a great bargin, because they know there is someone else from your ship right behind you (the prices I have checked are fairly close to my local big name jewelers, I am only really saving sales tax). You know for the most part that they are selling you the real thing. They cannot risk angering the cruiselines that supply them with a steady flow of customers. There is the occasional bait and switch, but after talking with one of the salesman for a long time, he said those employees caught at that are fired and usually sent back to India.

Mike

when shopping in St. Thomas last month:

I was shopping in a small jewelry store NOT on the recommended list....I asked the salesman about it... and he became very emotional. I told him I usually stay away from the "Recommended" stores when possible because they are more expensive and I did not have a problem shopping in his store.

This is what HE said to me: He would have to pay Princess $1,500.00 a day when one of their ships were in port...PLUS 10% of his sales to their passengers!. You know how you have to show them your Sail and Sign card or tell them what ship you are from when you purchase something? thats why. He said he could NOT afford to do that, he has a family owned business...he is accountable to the US government if he should conduct his business in a fraudulent manner...and would be shut down..SO he does not become a "guaranteed" store. Of course, he can sell his wares for less without the kickback to a cruiseline. By the way, all that guarantee means is that in order to challenge the authenticity of what you may have purchased and have Princess stand behind you, you have to pay to have an independent gemologist (NOT another store owner from home) to examinine it in order to file a dispute.

Sue

Thanks everybody! I knew there was some connection there, because they push it down your throat at every turn!

I wasn't impressed last year with the prices at DI in St. Thomas, and I didn't even go into one this year.

Last year I attended the shopping seminar and I was so excited about the "free stuff" I was going to get from them. It was all really crappy free stuff, not worth anything. The diamond charm bracelet is a joke! Oh well, live and learn. I did not attend the shopping thing this time (it seems like only first time cruisers fall for it!) nor did I buy their crappy coupon book.

On a side note, last year my friend and I complained about the coupon booklet and got refunds. When I was at the pursers desk this year, someone was complaining and trying to get their money back. The asst purser told her that she needed to take it up with the shopping gal (I can't remember her title). I told her that I got a refund last year and to make sure that she looked her up and complained.

Do you mean that "Shopping Savy" booklet or something like that...that they only have a "limited" amount of? I always wondered if anyone really could get any bargains out of it at all. I did not want to spend my time ashore running from place to place so never even considered it. I always wondered if you were really willing to invest the time to USE it, could you find anything worthwhile? Lot's of folks were buying them...that's for sure.

I have sat through some of the shopping talks just to see if they are going to say "tanzanite is almost mined out" and the same stuff they have been saying since I took my first cruise.

I usually get some earrings, a gold charm, chain, bracelet, or a watch when we cruise, and like I said, we go in the smaller places that have a jewelry counter and other things as well, not just jewelry.....we have never had a problem with anything that we have purchased...and usually buy in St. Thomas or on the ship itself. This year I purchased things from 3 different stores in St. Thomas and none were "recommended" ship's stores...I got business cards from each of them and when I go back in Nov I will check them out again, because I felt they were fair and did not pressure me to buy more than I asked to see!

Sue

This is what HE said to me: He would have to pay Princess $1,500.00 a day when one of their ships were in port...PLUS 10% of his sales to their passengers!. You know how you have to show them your Sail and Sign card or tell them what ship you are from when you purchase something? thats why.

Sue

This is the first time I have seen someone post real numbers on what it takes to be a "recommended store". The figures you post don't surprise me and you are right, they ask what ship you are on for a reason.

I am curious what the figures are like for non-jewelry stores. I hope the mom and pop stores are able to stay in business.

I have sat through some of the shopping talks just to see if they are going to say "tanzanite is almost mined out" and the same stuff they have been saying since I took my first cruise.

Sue

I've done the same and can say that some of the information being deseminated is not 100% true (I have a Gemologist Diploma from the GIA - Gemological Institute of America). When I was on the Star Princess, they were passing around a diamond tennis bracelet that they were raving about. When it got to me, I put it on my wrist next to the bracelet I had on, then serveral of the ladies remarked "but hers sparkles so much more and the stones are so much whiter". The shopping lady then said "Oh we haven't cleaned it in a while" when in reality the stones in the DI bracelet were J/K (bottom of the near colorless range/top of the slightly tinted range) in color and I1 clarity (meaning you can see the inclusions with your naked eye). They were not high quality diamonds by any means.

Diamonds International is a company based in NY that has the majority of their locations in Cruise Ports ... thats their business model ... hoping that women on cruises get into a buying frenzy. I've been in their stores and found their prices no better than back home for comparable goods. Here's their website:

http://www.shopdi.com

A few (not all) appraisals are not worth the paper they are printed on. Ever hear of a "feel good" appraisal, that's where an item gets appraised for 2 - 3 times the price paid to make the customer feel good about their purchase. The true test is what someone else will pay you if you sold the item, or if there is a loss, what the insurance company will pay you. Most will settle for what it costs THEM to replace the item, and you can be pretty sure they have connections to buy at true wholesale.

I do realize some may flame me for this post, because I've seen in the past, many posts about people thinking what great deals they got, and to them I say shop away.

p.s. I do not have sour grapes because I don't work in the jewelry business (am a VP in the IT biz at a Fortune 50 company) but I do have industry (subscribe to trade journals) and gemological knowledge and may work in the trade when I retire.

Yes, it was the "Savy Shopper" that they always say they only have a few hundred to sell. I really think that most people that purchase it are on their first cruise. I didn't attend, but some people that did were telling me what she said, and it was almost exactly like what she said a year ago.

The coupons are not worth the paper that they are printed on. Yes, you do get 20% off when you give them the coupon, but when we were shopping last year someone DIDN'T have the coupon and they gave it to them anyway. We also saw them pass out the charm without the person giving them a coupon. They just went up and asked for it. That's why we asked for a refund of the book price.

Incidently, last year I bought a watch, not at a recommended store, and I still love it this year and it is working perfectly!

• 10 months later...
I've done the same and can say that some of the information being deseminated is not 100% true (I have a Gemologist Diploma from the GIA - Gemological Institute of America).

p.s. I do not have sour grapes because I don't work in the jewelry business (am a VP in the IT biz at a Fortune 50 company) but I do have industry (subscribe to trade journals) and gemological knowledge and may work in the trade when I retire.

Hello, Cheryl,

I always enjoy reading your most articulate and informative posts.

I am interested in training my Darling GrandDaughter for the GIA (as a backup for her becoming a Barrister) as well as for buying her own jewelery. During the summers, she works in a fine diamonds jewelery store in L.A. in the Gold Mart (owner is a long-time family friend).

What advice can you give me - a website Link, perhaps? to study for this diploma. Thank you, very much, for your help. :D

Crown Prince,

Here is the link to the GIA:

http://www.gia.edu/3954/gia_home_page.cfm

If you look under the education tab on the left side, there will be many links to their education programs. There are basically 2 ways to learn,

1 - on campus (very expensive) or 2 - Distance Education (less expensive) where you learn at your own pace from home. And now that everything is computerized, you can just submit lessons via the Internet (back when I did it, you had to mail in those Scantron forms).

Since your granddaughter is already employed in the industry, perhaps her employer will pay for the classes. I have been to many jewelry stores where GIA certificates and/or diplomas are proudly displayed on their walls.

There are also links for the general consumer on how to buy a Diamond and/or Colored Stones.

Please remember that the GIA is the educational arm of the industry. They do NOT buy or sell diamonds and/or gemstones.

We were in Cozumel in December and also went to DI and found it to actually be much more expensive than home local stores. My DH bought me a gorgeous 1 cart tanzanite and diamond ring set very uniquelly in a white gold setting. $300 At DI a ring very similar was $3,000! Yes, my ring is real, beautifully crafted and the color of stone is actually prettier than the other one at DI-and I have had a local jeweler look at it and he says it is a fantastic ring. I thing you can get much better deals elsewhere for your money. So look around and dont buy at the first place you look at. Have fun!

Hi Folks,

A year ago or may be two we were on an island outside a DI store was a big board offering a ring at a reduced price, it was nice looking so we went in, it was not in the thousands or anything just nice looking, I said OK she could have it when we went to pay for it, it was like three times the price. OK I know different diamounds cost different amounts but we wanted the ring on the board, after a lot of protesting from us sales person and store manager they said it was a mistake very sorry but that ring was going to cost us x not y, So we left onboard the ship I saw the shopping lady told her the story, she was not happy and said on the next island she would come with us, we went into the store and found the ring it was at the y price she told the manager the story of the board with the x price and said so what the price is y, she was not happy and told him to sell us the ring at x price he said he could not , she told him to phone NY has she wanted to speak to head office, a call was made and she did threaten them with lose of business if we did not get the ring a x price, we left the store with the ring, happy that the shopping girl had help, my wife still wears the ring every day because she likes it.

yours Shogun

I believe that there is a formal agreement between Princess and DI, as well as between Princess any all other stores that they 'promote' as being Princess approved. The agreement is rent. Four years ago I was told that at that time, each of the recommonded stores were paying Princess, and other cruise lines, a merchandising 'fee' of $800-$1200. dollers per month. I do not know if there are other fees on top of that such as a percentage of sales etc. We were on board a Sun Princess ship and walked out of what was billed some sort of a Port of Call review. It was nothing but advertising session. I will not buy from any 'recommended' stores. I also believe that Princess and others should come clean with a disclaimer of some sort. I have no idea of what the fee is now, but for certain it is going up not down.

On our cruise this last Oct. on RCCL we went to the 'shopping' lecture for some info-after all it was just a 'girls trip' me and my teenager. We fell for the book-hook, line and $25!!(and the free item at the talk was a plastic ring-lol)

We took the book to Key West-spent time trying to track down a few crappy cheap "free" items from the book- One being a Del Sol bag-

what they dont tell you until you get to the store, it dont say anything on it about Del Sol-it is a plain black bag-(maybe $3 in a dollar store-no joke)

Also took it to Cozumel and we hated our shopping there-the 'tequilla' drinks-are always free at DI-even if you dont have the book. And if you just come in for the 'free' items-they direct you to the BACK of the store-and someone is just passing out cheap stuff in little baggies. We even had a store employee ignore us- b/c we had the book in our hands!! how rude!!:mad: When we got home we noticed that our 'free' tanzinite earrings-wasnt even the same color!!

I will never fall for that crappy book again-and in fact since then tell all of my friends to skip the 'shopping' talk and just focus on having a great time!!:o

I can say after sailing Carnival, RCCL and Princess next-all lines do this!!

UGH!!

I think that buying good jewelry in the Caribbean is dicey. The challenge is that most people are like me-they no little or nothing about stones. That is why the jewelry merchants like cruisers so much. The appraisal certificates are, in my opinion nothing more than useless pieces of paper that are part of the sales pitch. You may do well with items such at watches but you need to do your reseacrch before you go and compare like to like. And once you sail away...you are in most cases on your own. IT is very much buyer beware. We had a piece of gold jewelry weighed on two different scales in the same store in St. Thomas. The salesperson resisted this request. And yes, there was about a 15 percent weight difference between the two scales. No sale.

Crown Prince,

Here is the link to the GIA:

http://www.gia.edu/3954/gia_home_page.cfm

If you look under the education tab on the left side, there will be many links to their education programs. There are basically 2 ways to learn,

1 - on campus (very expensive) or 2 - Distance Education (less expensive) where you learn at your own pace from home. And now that everything is computerized, you can just submit lessons via the Internet (back when I did it, you had to mail in those Scantron forms).

Since your granddaughter is already employed in the industry, perhaps her employer will pay for the classes. I have been to many jewelry stores where GIA certificates and/or diplomas are proudly displayed on their walls.

There are also links for the general consumer on how to buy a Diamond and/or Colored Stones.

Please remember that the GIA is the educational arm of the industry. They do NOT buy or sell diamonds and/or gemstones.

Thank you, so much, CHERYL:

I shall look at that Link - exactly what I wanted to find.

Jennifer will be able to, perhaps, do the on-line during the summers as she has a heavy workload, being an A+ student and dancing 4 hours every day, along with AP classes at the junior college.

She is a Major Man Magnet but I think she should learn to buy her own diamonds.

Maybe I'll do it myself.

Ahhh, take the class, not buy the diamonds.

By the way, all that guarantee means is that in order to challenge the authenticity of what you may have purchased and have Princess stand behind you, you have to pay to have an independent gemologist (NOT another store owner from home) to examinine it in order to file a dispute.
Not true. A few years ago, I bought a gorgeous tanzanite and diamond bracelet at a Princess-recommended store. (Not Diamonds International.) When I got back on the ship, the next night was formal night and I thought I would wear my new bracelet. I went to secure it and, ut oh, the catch broke off. The next morning, I took it to the Cruise Director along with my receipt. He took the bracelet, made a copy of the receipt, and gave me a receipt for the bracelet, telling me that the next time the ship docked in St. Maarten, he would personally take it back and get it repaired. A month later, my bracelet was in the mail and I wear it to this day. That to me was the Princess guarantee. The extra service didn't cost me a thing.

Crown Prince,

One of the reasons I took the courses was to learn more about diamonds and gemstones so I could buy with confidence. Like I said before, I currently do not work in the jewelry biz, but am a VP in the IT biz at a Fortune 50 company. I figure if people can read Consumer Reports to buy washers/dryers, why not learn about something that is generally more expensive than the former and have fun while doing it.

In the diamond grading classes, the GIA actually mails you diamonds that you must grade. In the Gem Identification class they mail you hundreds of gemstones to practice your identification skills on (e.g. use Refractometer, Dichroscope, Polariscope, Spectrometer etc). For the final, you must correctly identify all 20 specimens to pass ... miss just one and you fail. I've read about students taking that test multiple times (thank god I passed on the first try).

Anyway I just watch all those people in a buying frenzy at the cruise ports.

FYI, at DI in St. Thomas, I guess they eyed my jewelry and then proceeded to pass us off to their manager who took us upstairs to their "Private Salon". They did have some beautiful pieces there (e.g. a $76K tanzanite pendant) but I didn't bite.

Hi, CHERYL,

For hours, I have been copying & pasting from the GIA website - what a fount of knowledge. I should think that anyone reading this thread could learn a lot just be reading about the "Four C's" on the website.

I think I shall start out with the little $125 web-based class and then perhaps the Pearls class.

There really is a lot to know about gems.

Tanzanite comes Only from Tanzania (which is a long way from the Caribbean).

I sure appreciate all your knowledge and your sharing it. ;)

Tanzanite is also known as zoisite with a chemical composition of Ca2AL3(SiO4)3(OH). It has a Mohs hardness of 6 to 7 which means its not the best choice to be set in a ring for everyday wear (even emeralds have a hardness of 7.5 to 8, rubies/sapphires are 9, and diamonds are 10). There is also a green variety called chrome zoisite.

Tanzanite should never be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner nor a steam cleaner. Use warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush.

Tip for you ladies out there. Although I have a commercial grade ultrasonic cleaner (what the jewelry stores use) at home to clean my jewelry, diamonds can be keep clean and sparkly with any liquid soap and a soft toothbrush (just brush the pavillion - the bottom side where the dirt/grime accumulates). At home I use liquid dishwashing soap for a quick touch up, but when I travel, the shampoo or liquid bath gel that Princess provides works great (don't waste your money on jewelry cleaner). Diamonds have an affinity for grease (they use grease belts in mining operations) so the trick is to use something that cuts the grease i.e. dishwashing liquid, shampoo, bath gel etc. Hope this helps.

Archived