Another "Is Seabourn for Us?"

the_dylaness

After returning from a very rowdy "spring break" cruise with Norwegian, my fiance and I are looking for other cruising alternatives. We like things to be fairly quiet, relaxed, and elegant, and are generally looking for many of the same things the original poster wanted in a cruise vacation. Based on the responses here, it sounds like Seabourn might be good for us. We've sailed with Carnival, NCL, and RCL.

One aspect of the Norwegian cruise that we really enjoy though, is the concept of "freestyle" cruising - the option to eat whenever we want and to also eat only with each other. We don't mind being somewhat friendly with others in other circumstances, but we are so busy with our schedules, that we really do look forward to spending some quality time with each other, particularly during meals. Can anyone tell me how Seaboard dining works?

Thank you!

Dining on Seabourn is quite "care-fee". Breakfast and lunch is served in the dining room and in the open air verandah, open seating. Dinner in the restaurant is served between 7:30 and 9PM (although I would never arrive quite as late as 9). You may dine as a couple, join friends or join a hosted table when invited. Its quite nice to mix things up during your cruise. There is also a wonderful alternative dining option in the Verandah in the evening. It is called "2". It offers quite an intense tasting menu, and is just divine. Wines are paired with each course, and of course, there is no additional charge.

I hope this helps!

Host Dan

Just to add a few notes to Dan's wonderful dining comments....

The Verandah dining "2" requires reservations whereas the Restaurant does not. Also, Sky Grill dinners may be offered on your cruise some nights as well. (I'm not sure if this option requires reservations or not) Also, be sure to enjoy dinner in your suite one evening, you'll be served course by course!

mariposas...we found the Restaurant lovely and quiet (and almost empty) for breakfast. Tried the Veranda a couple of times but found it too "busy" early in the morning .......then again we preferred the "busy" atmosphere at lunch time! Try all options......

How small is the "veranda2" dining that you have ti make reservations?

JIM

Jim,

No one had any trouble getting a reservation at "2" during my last cruise. Its menu changes daily and you really should go on a night when the "theme" matches your tastes - I would also do as the name says (2), and just go with that someone special. It has the most subdued lighting and felt more intimate than the Restaurant (even though I personally preferred the cuisine in the Restaurant). The Sky Grill did get booked up a couple of times from what a little bird told me. (The Sky Grill is the only dinner venue, other than your suite, which allows smoking.)

I still like the Restaurant the best and we take in at least 2-3 hosted tables. Most members of the senior crew are "obligated" to host 3x per week so they do a good job of keeping the conversation upbeat (i.e. they are experienced with all types of people).

johnny

How small is the "veranda2" dining that you have ti make reservations?QUOTE]

It's quite spacious, but the reservations are limited to 40 diners. I have found that reservations before the actual day are important for the specialty 'Bistro' and 'Steak' nights. However, the great ribeye can be special ordered for the Dining Room the day before.

Jane

My wife and i sailed on the Spirit last summer and it was fabulous!!! Your comments seemed to echo my wife's. No screaming kids, even though we have 2 of our own, no jeans and cut-offs and no typical ugly americans at the ports of call. I made the mistake of the century as we just came back from a Holland America cruise. BIG BIG MISTAKE!!! We wanted to take a Carribean cruise and when our agent checked, Seabourn was not sailing near the Carribean, nor was Regent or Silverseas nor any other "luxury" line, so she sold us on HAL as a good alternative. All i heard from my wife all week was "THIS IS NOT SEABOURN", and she was soooo right. Food was bad, service was bad, passengers were bad, and it was a generally bad experience. The only saving grace was that we had a big suite with a huge balcony so we could sit and read or eat or just relax there sometimes instead of waiting in a feed line to "dine". Alittle bit of advice, don't think twice, book your Seabourn cruise!! Unfortunately, Seabourn is traveling next March to the Carribean, and we will definetly be sailing with them. Best of luck!!

Archived