Just back from the SUN!

Deeds25

Just got home from the 3/11 sailing out of New Orleans! My group of 8 decided to fly in an extra day to go to Bourbon Street and had a blast! This cruise was so much fun! It was Spring Break so I was glad to see a lot of college students along with my group. We got to the port at about 12 and were on the ship about 10 minutes later...embarkation was very smooth! We stayed in 0112 on deck ten...a very clutch room considering the pool was right upstairs. Also, we somehow got stuck in a handicap room but it had a huge bathroom. For anyone wondering about sneaking liquor on ..all 4 couples successfully did. Drinks were a little overpriced..my boyfriend and I had about a $600 tab on just alcohol. Food was very good but everyone else in my group thought Carnival's was better. The buffets were pretty much the same everyday. Ginza was veryyy worth the extra surcharge..i would highly recommend! In Costa Maya we did the speedboat excusrion and was so much fun! Guatemala did not have much to offer to us. We got off the ship for about 45 minutes to do some shopping. In Belize and Cozumel we just got off to do some shopping and eat. Disembarkation went pretty smoothly as well.

If anyone has questions I'll be glad to try and answer them!

Everytime anyone posts how they bootlegged it seems they find out and start attacking that mode of bootlegging. If you drink alcohol like a fish, expect a high drink bill.

People complain about the high price for the soda card, but per day an unlimited soda card is cheaper than one alcoholic drink.

We we're also on the Sun that week; we also had a great time. Our first holiday without kids.(woohoo) We also met some nice college kids...very polite. We ate at East meets West and LeBistro,and at Four Seasons and Seven Seas.(main dining rooms) We went to ChaChi(thanks to our friends here at Cruise Critic),Los Escobas waterfall,cave-tubing with Yhoni, and Chankanab park. We met lots of fellow cruise critic people at a Meet and Greet thanks to Jabee and his wife. My husband arranged a ROMANCE package prior to sailing;we had no problems with embarkation and disembarkation. Any questions just ask.

Debbie

How many formal nights were there? What night(s)?

Is it correct that you can bring on wine and pay a corkage fee? Do you know how many bottles per passenger?

Any "must-see" or "can skip" shows on board?

Was it difficult to get seating around the pool?

Disneykins, did you do your excursions through NCL or through independents? If independents, can you give more information please?

Did anyone try to snorkel in Costa Maya or Santo Tomas? Suggestions for non NCL activities?

Family going on 3/25!

Thanks much.

Just got home from the 3/11 sailing out of New Orleans! My group of 8 decided to fly in an extra day to go to Bourbon Street and had a blast! This cruise was so much fun! It was Spring Break so I was glad to see a lot of college students along with my group. We got to the port at about 12 and were on the ship about 10 minutes later...embarkation was very smooth! We stayed in 0112 on deck ten...a very clutch room considering the pool was right upstairs. Also, we somehow got stuck in a handicap room but it had a huge bathroom. For anyone wondering about sneaking liquor on ..all 4 couples successfully did. Drinks were a little overpriced..my boyfriend and I had about a $600 tab on just alcohol. Food was very good but everyone else in my group thought Carnival's was better. The buffets were pretty much the same everyday. Ginza was veryyy worth the extra surcharge..i would highly recommend! In Costa Maya we did the speedboat excusrion and was so much fun! Guatemala did not have much to offer to us. We got off the ship for about 45 minutes to do some shopping. In Belize and Cozumel we just got off to do some shopping and eat. Disembarkation went pretty smoothly as well.

If anyone has questions I'll be glad to try and answer them!

Glad you enjoyed the Sun. After 20 plus cruises on all mass marketed lines I think the Sun is our favorite ship or close to the top anyway. NMNita

:D

How many formal nights were there? What night(s)?

Is it correct that you can bring on wine and pay a corkage fee? Do you know how many bottles per passenger?

Any "must-see" or "can skip" shows on board?

Was it difficult to get seating around the pool?

Disneykins, did you do your excursions through NCL or through independents? If independents, can you give more information please?

Did anyone try to snorkel in Costa Maya or Santo Tomas? Suggestions for non NCL activities?

Family going on 3/25!

Thanks much.

Hi Guacamolly, I can't answer most of your questions, but I wanted to invite you to join our roll call (link is in my signature). We've got a fairly big group on our thread, some of whom have sailed on the Sun before and might be able to answer your questions.

See you in a few days!

I think the only formal night was Monday and that was optional. We went formal (suit and tie) whenever we ate in the Specialty restaurants. Others wore jeans to the specialty restaurants and there were even kids there. We thought it would have been more for adults.

Dont know about the wine, sorry.

Must-see shows are the 3 Jean Ann Ryan dance company shows and Chantze Powell the 19 year old singer. We saw all the shows and didn't feel we wasted our time. We would probably go see them all again on a future cruise. In fact we went to "Hey Mr. Producer" at 730 and again at 930 but we are big Broadway fans.

Seating around the pool was very difficult but we had probably 1000 college kids on board. Of course they didn't get up until after 11 so if you get there early enough you shouldn't have any problem. One pet peeve of ours, we saw a woman put towels on 6 deck chairs and then go get coffee and sit with her 5 companions at a table on deck. After half an hour a worker came by and took the 6 towels away since nobody was using them and some other people came along and claimed the deck chairs. Wish we could have seen that womans face when her deck chairs were gone.

Shore excursions, we didi on our own. Costa Maya we did the "hole in the fence" beach that we found on these boards. Cost FREE. take your own water and a snack. Guatemala, went with Happy Fish travel who have a booth inside the shopping area at the dock. Waterfall tour, $30 per person, well worth it. Belize, booked with cavetubing.com before we left home, but you can book it at the pier. $45 per person, well worth it. Cozumel, on our own, took a taxi ($10 one way) to Chankanhab National park. Entry fee was $16 per person to swim, including chairs and hammocks. You can snorkel for $10 each, there is also a sea lion show and dolphin encounter. We didn't do the dolphin but I've read here that its cheaper to book when you arrive rather than through the ship. $10 taxi ride back. 2 beers at $3 each. Total cost at Cozumel. $58. Worth it to be in a park away from the vendors on regular beaches selling everything from hair braiding to jet skis.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Tony

If anyone has questions I'll be glad to try and answer them![/quote

I would love to know how you managed to get the liquor on board as I am sailing in a couple of months.

dayhome3@telus.net

Thanks.

How did you do with your 'just wandering' in Belize?

In Belize we went to a place called The Wet Lizard (i think that was the name.) We ate there, walked around a bit then did some shopping. We debated on getting a taxi to go to a beach but just went back to the ship, which I kind of regret since Belize was a good port.

In Belize we went to a place called The Wet Lizard (i think that was the name.) We ate there, walked around a bit then did some shopping. We debated on getting a taxi to go to a beach but just went back to the ship, which I kind of regret since Belize was a good port.

The Wet Lizzard is our favorite place, the best tacos I have ever had. Belize is by far the best port we have been at.

I am glad you had a great cruise. Just a couple of questions: do they have decaf tea in the buffet and also do they serve caesar salads.

I'm not sure about th decaf tea. In the buffets they had a salad bar everyday, I think I might have seen Caesar salads. They also had it on the menu in the main dining rooms a couple of times.

Caesar Salads were available every evening on the Buffet. You will have no problem finding one with most meals.

Now..a lettuce and tomato salad with Thousand Island dressing...now that takes an act of congress, but I did manage to get one with each meal.

how long was the walk to the place to start the cave tubing? I have had "two" hip replacemnts in the last 6 months and don't know if I can make a 45 mintue walk to tubing area as the NCL excursion site stated. Please advise any info would help. Our group is on the Sun NCl 4/8/07 Thanks.

Archived