Galveston Parking Dilemma 4/21/07 due to "Beach Party Weekend"

barbevrn

The KAPPA Beach Party Weekend of April 21 can be a mess. My DW and I are booked on the Grand leaving that Saturday morning and would have chosen another date if we had noticed the KAPPA thing before we booked. The only trouble you should have driving to Galveston is coming in I-45 and getting across the causeway. Once you get across the causeway the first exit is Harborside Dr. which will take you to the cruise terminal and Strand Historic District. The KAPPA crowd will be heading to East Beach for the concerts and will be cruising Broadway and the Seawall.

That's where the traffic backup comes from on I-45 & the causeway. I-45 crosses the causeway and ends shortly after by becoming Broadway Blvd.. Broadway, 61st Street and Seawall Blvd. make a natural loop that the kids cruise again and again. The Galveston Police block many streets and make others one way to keep the traffic moving as well as possible. The difference between a crowded weekend like July 4 and KAPPA is that on July 4 after the cars get to their destination they park and head to the beach. On KAPPA weekend many of the cars never get out of the traffic pattern due to the cruising aspect of the event.

My DW and I have changed our plans and will be in Galveston by 8AM Saturday morning and will just grab breakfast at Speculoos Pastisserie & Cafe http://www.speculooscafe.com/ then shop around the Strand Historic District until time to board. Most of the attendees of KAPPA Beach Party will not stay in Galveston but will drive in from I-45. The traffic will have a building effect as the day goes on.

We can always pray for rain and a cool and cloudy day. The past couple of years the event has not been as bad due to poor weather and the Galveston Police cracking down on drinking on the Seawall. They have been trying to do away with the cruising aspect of the event and move the crowds to the concerts on East Beach. We just don't know what to expect so we'll play it safe and go early.

Thanks for the replies! It looks like once I get over the causeway, the traffic should be going a different direction from the cruise terminals. Does anyone know if harborside will be one of the blocked streets? I wouldn't think i would be since there will be a couple of ships in port, but just curious?

110103_no_problem_prv.gif

082502btw_prv.gif' date=' I remember you but you may not remember me. We were members of the same Roll Call. I met you & your DW back in Oct. 2005 at the Meet & Mingle. It was what I call Rhapsody's "Boll Weevil" cruise. We sailed all over the Caribbean "just looking for a home"... thanks to Wilma. Did not make any of our three scheduled ports of call, but did make two others. I was not a host back then. I was TxCityKat.

070106YA44_prv.gif

we remember that cruise well!!!! lol!!!! It has been the only cruise I ever got sea sick on!!!! I kept wondering why they were lining the stairwells with lumanariels??? lol Congrats on becoming a host!!

we remember that cruise well!!!! lol!!!! It has been the only cruise I ever got sea sick on!!!! I kept wondering why they were lining the stairwells with lumanariels??? lol Congrats on becoming a host!!

You are most welcome! Yeah, being a volunteer here takes a lot more of my time than I thought, but I do truly enjoy helping others.

Those 15 - 20 foot swells were something, huh? I have been very lucky in that my only experience with being sick was being a little queasy on my first cruise when we rounded Cuba. That's when I found I did just fine as long as I did not watch the horizon going up... then down... then up, & so on and so on! I have done OK on the rest of my cruises, even in Wilma's bad seas. I have always enjoyed riding roller coasters, etc for the "hang time"!

Glad to be of service,

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

We live in Galveston and, yes there was a problem in prior years, but not in the last two years as it is getting smaller.

My DH had to go to Houston and return to the island on Saturday last year - no problem, no traffic. Broadway streets weren't even blocked before 33rd. The last two years have gone to friends for dinner in East End and, again, no problem in driving. The biggest problem is no restaurants or stores open.

Those going to the cruise terminal should always go in Harborside. We go to the ship at 1 or 2pm - no lines, board immediately. Remember, they must have time to clean the ship. Why wait in line?

As for the causeway construction, if there is a closure it only occurs very early Sunday morning.

There has never been a 3- 5 hour back up on the causeway due to construction. At the most 2 hours due to a horrific accident two years ago, but that can occur anywhere.

The City, police and Highway Patrol are very aware this is the major thoroughfate on and off the island and keep the roads clear.

At the worst, Rita evacuation, we left at 6pm (mandatory evatcuation) and pulled into our driveway in Houston two hours later (That is why they opened the HOV lane) that no one used!!!

It is smooth sailing into Galveston on Sunday morning of Beach Party Weekend because all the Saturday partiers are sleeping! I agree to head into Galveston by 10 a.m., 11 a.m. at the latest. If you are going to stay the night before, try staying at Harbor House or Tremont House since they are away from the Beach Party crowd and of course, they are closest to the port.

By the way, the Kappa fraternity has nothing to do with this party anymore and it is officially called Beach Party Weekend.

I always arrive by 11am and am on the ship by 1145 at the latest, unless the ship is delayed, which I know before I leave home since I check the webcam!

I use ezcruise but might look at lighthouse, I am hearing a lot about them.

The KAPPA Beach Party Weekend of April 21 can be a mess. My DW and I are booked on the Grand leaving that Saturday morning and would have chosen another date if we had noticed the KAPPA thing before we booked. The only trouble you should have driving to Galveston is coming in I-45 and getting across the causeway. Once you get across the causeway the first exit is Harborside Dr. which will take you to the cruise terminal and Strand Historic District. The KAPPA crowd will be heading to East Beach for the concerts and will be cruising Broadway and the Seawall.

That's where the traffic backup comes from on I-45 & the causeway. I-45 crosses the causeway and ends shortly after by becoming Broadway Blvd.. Broadway, 61st Street and Seawall Blvd. make a natural loop that the kids cruise again and again. The Galveston Police block many streets and make others one way to keep the traffic moving as well as possible. The difference between a crowded weekend like July 4 and KAPPA is that on July 4 after the cars get to their destination they park and head to the beach. On KAPPA weekend many of the cars never get out of the traffic pattern due to the cruising aspect of the event.

My DW and I have changed our plans and will be in Galveston by 8AM Saturday morning and will just grab breakfast at Speculoos Pastisserie & Cafe http://www.speculooscafe.com/ then shop around the Strand Historic District until time to board. Most of the attendees of KAPPA Beach Party will not stay in Galveston but will drive in from I-45. The traffic will have a building effect as the day goes on.

We can always pray for rain and a cool and cloudy day. The past couple of years the event has not been as bad due to poor weather and the Galveston Police cracking down on drinking on the Seawall. They have been trying to do away with the cruising aspect of the event and move the crowds to the concerts on East Beach. We just don't know what to expect so we'll play it safe and go early.

I too am sailing on the Grand, April 21st. I just recently learned about the Beach Party traffic problem. I am driving from Fort Worth (DFW area) and had planned to drive down early Sat. morning. I work Friday until 4ish so if I was going to head out for a hotel in Galveston I would probably not get there until late night anyway. My only other option seems to be driving through the night to get there before the crowd begins. Do you think there will be a problem if I am near Galveston before 8:00am or so??? I am very concerned!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Galveston for about 8 years now and have dealt with beach party weekend. I have to be at the hospital early, so can speak to the conditions of the streets before 8am. Even Seawall is completely passable before 7am. I've been told much of the traffic headaches do not get started until after 10 or so. These are college kids, so not many are up before noon. That includes the traffic coming onto the island. I definately WOULD NOT get here by 5am. It might be more reasonable to say between 8 and 9am. Also this party is much smaller than it was from 1999-2003. In those years you literally couldn't leave your home and nothing was open. Now most of the restaurants and major retailers stay open.

Also as to the persons post about leaving Waco, I agree with leaving so that you miss am rush hour in Houston. I don't agree with the advice to take the beltway. After rush hour IH45 is a straight shot through downtown. There is only moderate and sometimes even minimal traffic. The BIG probelm with the beltway is that people feel they can drive as aggressively and rudely as they want because they paid for it. I've driven all over houston and only use the beltway as the last option. Why should you when it is so easy to cut staright through downtown.

Also as to the persons post about leaving Waco, I agree with leaving so that you miss am rush hour in Houston. I don't agree with the advice to take the beltway. After rush hour IH45 is a straight shot through downtown.

I recommended the Beltway because she was unsure about driving through Houston. The Beltway is (IMO) easier to navigate. I've been driving on Houston freeways for over 30 years and still sometimes get taxed with all the lane changes, merges and traffic going through the interchanges.

Thanks so much for all of your responses! I feel much less stressed about the traffic situation. You read other people's posts and get scared you will not even be able to get near the island! Since you actually live in Galveston (doodle2) your comments are much more valid than others who are getting their information from some other source.

Archived