Galveston Parking Dilemma 4/21/07 due to "Beach Party Weekend"

barbevrn

My plans were to drive into Galveston and arrive at port around 11am. I am now hearing that I need to hit the Island around 5 am due to some Fraternity/Sorority Spring break party. From what I hear, if we hit the Island at noon or after we will miss the ship.

My question is......is there parking exclusively for the cruise terminal? Has anyone else made the treck when something big was going on in Galveston?

I have a feeling I will be saying.....BRING ON THAT DRINK OF THE DAY!!!!!

Carnival does have its own lots to park on, and there are other lots like ezcruise parking that offer cruise ship parking. There is another one between the Carnival lots and ezcruise parking, but i do not remember the name of it. we personally always use ezcruise parking. their web site is: http://www.ezcruiseparking.com

Lighthouse Parking is really good, too.

As for traffic on the Island during event weekends...

As a former Galvestonian (moved away from there in June 2005), come a day early if you can. Stay at a hotel that allows you to leave your vehicle while cruising.

With only a few ways onto and off of the Island those "event weekends" can really play havoc with getting around to where you need to go.

Iv been there during several events, and traffic was snarled, but I dont think advising you to arrive at 5 am is necessary. I did have to drive thru a field and find my way around blockades to get into ezcruise that day. I reserved ahead of time, so I was already booked for parking at the online site and got my $5 discount for early booking of my parking.

If you got down here before or by 10 you should have no trouble. Take the first exit after the causeway (bridge) at Harborside and follow it around the bay side to the terminals (entrance @ 22nd). Once you are on Harborside you should have no trouble with traffic.

Ezcruise or Lighthouse either one should be fine for parking. If you are early shop the Strand one block over from Harborside starting at 25th.

Friday night in a Seawall hotel probably won't be bad, Saturday night up there on this particular weekend could get interesting.

http://www.blackbeachweek.com/kapbeacpar2.html

Barbevrn,

What weekend are you talking about? Are you cruising this weekend, March 24th?

We are and now I'm worried. We are scheduled to stay in Nacogdoches and drive on into Galveston Saturday morning from there. Now I'm concerned we might get delayed.

Thanks!

I'm with Lakesidedreamer (also on the Ecstasy 3/24) - PLEASE...are we talking the weekend of March 23-24 or a weekend in APRIL??? Our plans are to drive in from Dallas Sat. morning. Will this be a problem? Does anyone know how long from Dallas to port? I was thinking 5 hours.

Carnival does have its own lots to park on...

Carnival does not have their own lots for cruising guests. The Port of Galveston owns and operates the other cruise parking lots not run by EZ Cruise Parking or Lighthouse Parking.

For more info: http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

I too prefer EZ Cruise, but may try Lighthouse next time.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

We went on the Ecstasy last Nov. The Sat we were to leave on the Ecstasy there was a huge motorcycle ralley in Galveston. We were told they were expecting over 100,000 motorcycles. We also were told that traffic would be very congested that weekend. We could not get a hotel in Galveston unless we wanted to spend big $. Hotels that were normally around $60 were $189 that weekend. So we made a reservation at a hotel south of Houston. We got up early, ate breakfast and left for Galveston by 8:30 AM. We took the exit for the cruise terminal and bypassed most of the traffic. We arrived and parked in Lighthouse parking at 10:00 and took shuttle to terminal. We were one of the first in line to board. Hopefully your travels will be as easy.

If you are traveling to Galveston, always check with the CC about special activities that may cause traffic congestion over the Causeway. Traffic on I-45S always seems to thicken up after 10:00am, another factor that needs to be considered is the "blasting" of the old Causeway piles from time to time. They usually "blast on Sunday mornings around 7:00am-8:00am.

Barb, and I are going on the cruise April 21-26 th and we just found out about the Kappa Spring Bash 2007 so that's why the questions about parking etc. Cruisers for the March Cruises should not have any problems like what we may encounter so rest easy:)

Thanks Little5251!

Glad to hear this March cruiser may be ok on the drive in.

But I'm thinking about a change in the itinerary. Instead of staying in Nacogdoches maybe we should drive on into Houston so we will have plenty of morning to get over into Galveston.

Hmmm...Guess I better make up my mind soon in order to rebook a hotel!

Thanks again!:)

Carnival does not have their own lots for cruising guests. The Port of Galveston owns and operates the other cruise parking lots not run by EZ Cruise Parking or Lighthouse Parking.

For more info: http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

I too prefer EZ Cruise' date=' but may try Lighthouse next time.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I stand, humbly corrected!!!

110103_no_problem_prv.gif

082502btw_prv.gif, I remember you but you may not remember me. We were members of the same Roll Call. I met you & your DW back in Oct. 2005 at the Meet & Mingle. It was what I call Rhapsody's "Boll Weevil" cruise. We sailed all over the Caribbean "just looking for a home"... thanks to Wilma. Did not make any of our three scheduled ports of call, but did make two others. I was not a host back then. I was TxCityKat.

070106YA44_prv.gif

Here's another vote for Lighthouse parking.

You don't say where you're driving from, but I once went to Galveston at 9pm one night on a lark and when we got to the Causeway, the traffic was at a standstill going outbound (we estimated the backup was 5 miles long). Asked at a convenience store and the guy said 3 to 5 hour delay getting off the Island due to construction on the Causeway. We ended up leaving from the west side where the road goes through a toll booth. You end up in Freeport practically due south of Houston. You can also take the Bolivar ferry off the other side of the Island when it's running. Both routes will be longer than taking I45 to/from Houston but it's worth it if you can avoid traffic delays.

Our plans have chnged and we will not be able to stay in Galveston the night before our cruise April 16th. :( We are having to go to Waco first then leave out of Waco very early to get to Galveston. We have never been to Galveston and I was wondering if anyone knows of the best way to get to Galveston from Waco (pref not through Houston)!

Also, what would be a good time to leave Waco. Our cruise is on a Monday and I've heard horror stories about Houston traffic.:eek:

Our plans have chnged and we will not be able to stay in Galveston the night before our cruise April 16th. :( We are having to go to Waco first then leave out of Waco very early to get to Galveston. We have never been to Galveston and I was wondering if anyone knows of the best way to get to Galveston from Waco (pref not through Houston)!

Also, what would be a good time to leave Waco. Our cruise is on a Monday and I've heard horror stories about Houston traffic.:eek:

Heh, I just did directions on maps.google.com for Waco to Galveston - it is a straight shot through Houston. Hwy 6 to 290 to 610 to I-10 downtown to I-45. Three hours 48 minutes they say.

For the record, I probably wouldn't go through downtown but instead would take 610 southbound around to I45. Or you could jump on the Beltway and take it southbound to where it connects back into I45. Or you could even stay on Hwy 6 to where it connects back into I45 (between Texas City and Galveston). My recommendation is Beltway 8.

As far as going through Houston, you probably want to stay off the inbound freeways between around 5 and 8am. If I were you however, I'd leave Waco early, around 7am. That should put you into Houston after rush hour.

Heh, I just did directions on maps.google.com for Waco to Galveston - it is a straight shot through Houston. Hwy 6 to 290 to 610 to I-10 downtown to I-45. Three hours 48 minutes they say.

For the record, I probably wouldn't go through downtown but instead would take 610 southbound around to I45. Or you could jump on the Beltway and take it southbound to where it connects back into I45. Or you could even stay on Hwy 6 to where it connects back into I45 (between Texas City and Galveston). My recommendation is Beltway 8.

As far as going through Houston, you probably want to stay off the inbound freeways between around 5 and 8am. If I were you however, I'd leave Waco early, around 7am. That should put you into Houston after rush hour.

Thank you! :o I hate driving somewhere I have never been when I'm rushed!

Zantedeschia had a point, Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) is an easy way to go. Off of 290 down to 45 South are 4 toll stops of $1.25 each. Save your quarters.

I was surprised when someone mentioned the ferry or going off San Luis Pass on the West end of the Island.

The ferry is practical if you are connecting to or coming from IH 10 East you exit at Winnie coming from Beaumont and drive down to High Island where you pick up HY 87. It's a pretty drive along the beach down to the ferry landing and depending on the day, about 30 min. getting on and crossing to Galveston. On the weekends, all bets are off, the ferry lines can be forever with beach crowds. You can go off the West end of the island but it takes forever to get anywhere. You eventually get to Freeport and highways that will lead you back to Houston or other areas, but you won't get anywhere fast.

On occasion, there will be a wreck on the Causeway (IH 45) and we might take some time to get off or on Galveston, but usually not over a 30 min. delay.

Archived