Mexican Riveria vs Carribean

reaman

I'm thinking about doing a west coast cruise to the Mexican Riveria, how do they compare to Carribean cruises. I've done Eastern and Western Carribean cruises, but never anything on the west coast. I looking for comparison from someone that has done both.

The water on the Pacific side is colder than the Caribbean.

The snorkeling is better in the Caribbean.

Mexico is Mexico no matter if it's Caribbean or Pacific (although in some Pacific ports children are the ones that badger you the most).

We had some of the smoothest sailing in the Pacific last February.

We have done both, and I can tell you that we thoroughly enjoyed the MR. Love both areas equally, so it is certainly worth trying. Be sure and book when you can take a whale excursion.

What time of year are the whale excursions available?

Did the Star Princess for a week out of LA & the Celebrity Century for a week out of Fla. Liked the ports better in the Carib, the beaches are much prettier, and enjoyed the locals more. Maybe spoiled because we live in Calif & have lots of Mexican exposure.

I have done East West, and Mexico, all several times.

The water and sailing conditions are rougher on the Mexico route, but Mexico is great. The big difference is that on a Carib. cruise you experience 3 or 4 different countries, in Mexico only 1.

In April the days will probably be in the 80's, maybe 90 in Cabo if it's a hot week when you go. Nights are in the 60's with wind, maybe 50's at sea if it's a cold week.

Mexico is beautiful year round. But bring a sweater or windbreaker for on board at night.

I think April is too late for the whales. We went at the end of February.

True, the water is not as pretty, but the beach we went to was nice and some of the views in the countryside? were neat. We took a tour of a tequila factory (you'd be surprised) and saw lot's of celebrity homes. We also enjoyed going to an authentic Mexican restaurant and watching cliff divers.

We took our first cruise to the Mexican Rivera in February. Have done about 12 Caribbean cruises. Now that we have cruised the MR, I can honestly say that it is not "OUR cup of tea." Prefer the beautiful blue water of the Caribbean, the nice white sandy beaches, and warm water. One of the members of our group thought that the tour prices were a little higher in Mexico compared to the Caribbean. We didn't go on any tours so I can't give first-hand input.

I would say you need to at least try it once and then you will know for sure if the MR is worth a second cruise.

I went on the Vision of the Seas a few years ago for my first time to the Mexican Riviera and I loved it! Much different than the caribbean but in a good way. I loved that it was very hot but it was a dry, not humid heat. I REALLY liked Cabo and the rock formations and the vibe of the place. The people on that ship (passengers and staff) were VERY laid back and friendly compared to over hear up north on the east coast, so that was a nice change!!

You should totally give it a try - can't hurt to experience something new...AND I think the prices are pretty reasonable. That's another cruise I'm trying to get my fiance on :D .

Good luck!

Laura

Just returned Sunday from MR - We have done carribbean several times and decided to try the MR for a change - staff on VOS were great - best dining room staff ever - didn't like Carbo but Matzalan and PV were great - wife says shoppong much better in carribbean. Canopy Tour and Sunset Pirates tour in PV were best tours we have ever been on.

I've sailed Eastern and Western Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera and loved them all. As other have already stated, they are all different and that is a good thing! Mexican Riviera is convenient for us Californians and we are looking forward to our third Mexican Riviera cruise in two years this coming Thanksgiving week. This time, we are anxious to sail on the Vision. We love the itinerary and even own a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta.

We just tried our first MR cruise. As many have pointed out, each itinerary has its pluses and minuses -- but overall our preference would be:

1. Eastern Caribbean

2. Mexican Riviera

3. Western Caribbean

And I agree about doing it during whale season (technically January through April, although February and March are prime). We did a whale-watching excursion in Cabo that was probably my favorite excursion ever. But the funny thing is, on the way back to San Diego we had to stop at Cabo again for a medical evacuation (no, that's not the funny part! :p) and as we were pulling away, we saw as many whales right from our balcony as we did on the excursion! Very cool. :)

MR is really nice. We particularly liked Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. Puerto Vallarta we could do without. In comparison to the Caribbean I would say that I enjoy the Caribbean more. That is not to say I would not go back to the Mexican Riviera, especially since we would like to go a little farther south like Acapulco & Ixtapa.

-Mike

What's the weather like in Long Beach and San Diego in February? Can you spend the first and last sea day by the pool?

What's the weather like on MR in February?

Is this a popular cruise for W. Coast families over school breaks? (that's when I like to cruise with my family)

Thanks for starting this thread- It is a question I also wanted to ask. Since we live in Florida we have done Eastern and Western several times (hardly even ge toff the hip anymore, just go for the relaxation factor) and are considering flying to the west coast in 2008 for something different. Would it be better to spend a night pre cruise post cruise in LA?

What's the weather like in Long Beach and San Diego in February? Can you spend the first and last sea day by the pool?

Is this a popular cruise for W. Coast families over school breaks? (that's when I like to cruise with my family)

You never know until you get there! Sometimes we have summer like weather in S. California in February, sometimes we have rain. On March 12-14, just last week, the temperatures were in the 90's, this week it is a lot cooler (low 60's) and a bit rainy. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict it this far in advance, nor can you depend on averages.

Once you get as far south as Cabo, it is almost always warm.

I'm sure this is a popular cruise for families here, probably for the same reason we chose to go this past December, no airfare :)

I have done both, and prefer the caribbean. The water is so blue in the caribbean, and many of it's ports so exotic. I love the European influence and the fact that I can speak Dutch in many ports. I also think the caribbean has way more cultural diversity, which I enjoy immensely.

That said, I did enjoy my 2 cruises to the MR. Two of my children preferred the MR over the caribbean, but I think that is mostly because they enjoyed the tours more. Cabo has an incredible beach (lover's beach....make sure you go there), and zihuatanejo and Xtapa are absolutely awesome.

Maybe it is because I was born and raised in Europe that I can appreciate the European influence of the caribbean more, and live too close to the MR to still deem it exotic.

1. Feb in LB/SD is usually in the low 70's/high 60's, but it varies. The pool is a maybe at best in Feb., unless you like it chilly. May be windy too.

2. As I said, last Thanksgiving the Vision set a record with I think 642 kids-they were everywhere since lots of schools give that whole week off now.

3. Last Thanksgiving it was windy, so we missed Cabo due to high surf, but after that Maz. and PV were in the mid 80's. It's usually 70's and 80's unless it's a heat wave or cold snap, depending.

Mexico is great year round.:D

Archived