Sometimes, a JS doesn't earn 2 credits

You see, there is a lesson to be learned here folks. If you have sailed enough times to be Diamond or Diamond Plus and your spouse hasn't and is still given your status as Diamond or Diamond Plus, it's one more thing you get in the divorce. The car, the house, and the Crown & Anchor status..... LOL :D .

Hi Kenny,

long time no see.

Great thinking, but if RCCL is doing the same as with kids they may take away the status again after moving out;) :p

I understand and RCI is correct. The one who technically earned the most cruise credits is the one who should always be booked into the JS or higher cabin when more than one cabin is needed.

If my daughter who hasn't cruised as much as me, but is diamond because of me, cruises on her own, she isn't going to add to the total cruise credits we have. She will only add to her own separate cruise credits which are lower than mine. The one with the higher "earned" total in any household is the one who earns the status for all. I hope I'm explaining it so you can understand it.

And contrary to what many say, you do not have to be booked in a cabin with your kids. I know how to pull this off by making my own reservation and RCI knows how to do it, too, if they are willing to help. Kids are only required to be in the same quadrant of the ship on the same deck. Now, if they were little kids, I would want them close by if I wasn't going to be sleeping in their room. All you need is a competant RCI supervisor to clarify this for you. And no, all are not competant even in the supervisory position.

Basically - just always book the person in the family with the higher earned cruise credits in the cabin that earns the most cruise credits. That will keep your C&A status moving right along.

I undestood the OP perfeclty, but sure am confused by the answers... :rolleyes:

The husband was booked in the JS. He gets 2 cruise credits.

The OP was booked in the D1. She gets 1 cruise credit.

The discounts have nothing to do with your C & A credits...

They both share whichever has the higher C&A standing. If hubby goes D+, OP will be D+ as well, when crusing together.

I wouldn't expect to get JS credits when RCI has me booked into a D1... But that's just me...

LL

I undestood the OP perfeclty, but sure am confused by the answers... :rolleyes:

The husband was booked in the JS. He gets 2 cruise credits.

The OP was booked in the D1. She gets 1 cruise credit.

Actually, no, you didn't. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the original post and then you won't be so confused by the subsequent answers.

Last year we took a cruise with the kids--we booked a JS in my husband's name and an OV in mine. A few weeks later, I saw online that we each had 2 more C&A credits posted to our accounts (as per their policy that both spouses receive the same credit.) Early this year, we cruised with kids again, in a JS and a D1. I booked with a TA, who randomly put my husband in the balcony and myself in the JS this time. Not realizing it would make a difference, I let the reservation stand.

She is talking about 2 different cruises. The most recent one where she only received one credit she was booked in the JS and her DH was in the D1.

I believe breal6 and mommabean gave the best explanations as to why she only got a single credit. And I, for one, appreciate it because I now understand how it works!

I'm just sorry the OP didn't get this explanation before her cruise so she would have known to change the booking.

Ok, both DH and I are Platinum. We just booked a cruise for May 2008, in a Grand Suite. We only got a TOTAL of $100 off from C & A. Some people on this board have said they got $200 off for a balcony. Did we get cheated out of some discount somewhere? Do I need to call RCCL? And when the coupons come out and there happens to be one for our sailing, will we get that money off in ADDITION to the platinum discount?

I have found that when you call C&A (Diamond Plus) you might get someone very nice who is so willing to help and then there are other times when you get someone who is soooooooooooo rude!!! I believe it all depends on who answers---you would think they would all try to help!! Good Luck!!!

no, you weren't cheated. you get $100 off if you are platinum and $200 off for diamond and higher.

This was from Annefran, in an earlier post:

Ok right now I'm booked in a balcony room on Explorer of the Seas, March 2008. I received my $200 discount because I'm a platinum member.

So, if she is Platinum and we are Platinum, can you explain the difference of why we got $100 discount, and she got $200? What am I missing? We are going to be in a GS.

This was from Annefran' date=' in an earlier post:

Ok right now I'm booked in a balcony room on Explorer of the Seas, March 2008. I received my $200 discount because I'm a platinum member.

So, if she is Platinum and we are Platinum, can you explain the difference of why we got $100 discount, and she got $200? What am I missing? We are going to be in a GS.[/quote']

Annefran is booked on a 12 night cruise. That qualifies for a larger balcony discount. A balcony is a balcony regardless of category so a GS will not receive a larger discount. Balcony discounts are calculated based on the number of nights you will be on a cruise. I have only received $50 off when I went in a balcony cabin on a 3 night cruise.

Are you doing the 7 nighter on May 24th? According to your ticker you are leaving exactly 14 months from today. That explains the difference.

Ok right now I'm booked in a balcony room on Explorer of the Seas, March 2008. I received my $200 discount because I'm a platinum member. I was thinking of upgrading to a JS because on 12 Night cruises, I would receive 3 cruise credits. But it sounds like I wouldn't receive 3 credits because I received the $200 discount. Is that correct??? If it is, I may NOT book the JS at all. Will have to discuss with my TA before I do that. The JS is a lot more expensive and the only reason I was considering it is because it would put me at Diamond level after I completed that cruise. :rolleyes:

You will receive the 3 credits as its a 12 night if you are in a JS. The discount is another matter. I received discounts, visa awards, TA perk and still get my 2 credits in my JS's. I think I know what may have went wrong with the OP as it's my understanding that the cruise credits are per address and name such as a husband and wife. Like if my DH and I sail in a JS we get 2 credits and if I book and pay for DD to sail in a JS, she gets the credit for her JS not me. Even if I put my DH in it with her and book under his name than all we would get is 2 credits for 2 JS's as we are each in one. The only thing a couple gets with 2 different C & A numbers are savings certificates. They do not get double cruise credits. DH's C & A discounts come in the mail, mine are online and they are different. Other than that we share the same perks and status onboard. I think thats what was meant by the term double dipping. It has nothing to do with the discounts. As a couple you are only going to get credit for the one cabin whatever you sail in no matter who stays where. So you may as well book other cabins under the name of the person staying in them so they get the credits and be sure they sign up for C & A onboard so they can get the perks on future cruises. It would be great to get 4 credits for 1 cruise and 2 JS cabins but it doesn't work that way. :) The 2 extra credits go to the other person in the cabin IF booked in their name, otherwise you'll lose them. In this case the OP received 2 credits for their JS and the other person would have received 1 credit for a balcony if booked under their name. Wow! this is confusing but does it make sense? I know I tried this one but it didn't matter if I booked and paid or not. We were only going to get the 2 credits for our JS and DD would get credit for hers so booked it under her name instead of DH's or no one would have received them. It sounds like RCCL made a mistake with the cruise before by giving each one 1 credit and RCCL took back the extra credit on this cruise and that's why RCCL said they knew what they were trying to do when it fact they had no idea anything was wrong. ;)

I think I know what may have went wrong with the OP as it's my understanding that the cruise credits are per address and name such as a husband and wife. Like if my DH and I sail in a JS we get 2 credits and if I book and pay for DD to sail in a JS, she gets the credit for her JS not me. Even if I put my DH in it with her and book under his name than all we would get is 2 credits for 2 JS's as we are each in one. The only thing a couple gets with 2 different C & A numbers are savings certificates. They do not get double cruise credits. DH's C & A discounts come in the mail, mine are online and they are different. Other than that we share the same perks and status onboard. I think thats what was meant by the term double dipping. It has nothing to do with the discounts. As a couple you are only going to get credit for the one cabin whatever you sail in no matter who stays where. So you may as well book other cabins under the name of the person staying in them so they get the credits and be sure they sign up for C & A onboard so they can get the perks on future cruises. It would be great to get 4 credits for 1 cruise and 2 JS cabins but it doesn't work that way. :) The 2 extra credits go to the other person in the cabin IF booked in their name, otherwise you'll lose them. In this case the OP received 2 credits for their JS and the other person would have received 1 credit for a balcony if booked under their name. Wow! this is confusing but does it make sense? I know I tried this one but it didn't matter if I booked and paid or not. We were only going to get the 2 credits for our JS and DD would get credit for hers so booked it under her name instead of DH's or no one would have received them. It sounds like RCCL made a mistake with the cruise before by giving each one 1 credit and RCCL took back the extra credit on this cruise and that's why RCCL said they knew what they were trying to do when it fact they had no idea anything was wrong. ;)
Huh? :confused: This puts a whole new spin on confusing the issue in addition to being just plain inaccurate.

Each person gets their own credits for the cruise. It is not per cabin or household. If I stay in a JS and my DH stays in another JS, we each get 2 credits. If we both stay in the same JS, we each get 2 credits. If I stay in a JS and he stays in a D1, I get 2 credits and he only gets 1. If a third person is staying in one of the cabins with us then they get their own credit(s).

If one person in the household has more credits then everyone in the household has the same status but not the same # of credits. That is what happened in this case. The OP's DH had an extra credit from the previous cruise from being booked in a JS while she was in a D1. So on this most recent cruise where she was booked in the JS and her DH in the D1 it only bumped their household status 1 credit because she was playing catch-up. If they had swapped the booking her DH would have received the 2 credits bumping them both up to Diamond+.

As mommabean points out in post #27 of this thread, the person with the highest number of credits should always be booked in the cabin earning the most credits. This benefits the household status.

I understand and RCI is correct. The one who technically earned the most cruise credits is the one who should always be booked into the JS or higher cabin when more than one cabin is needed.

If my daughter who hasn't cruised as much as me, but is diamond because of me, cruises on her own, she isn't going to add to the total cruise credits we have. She will only add to her own separate cruise credits which are lower than mine. The one with the higher "earned" total in any household is the one who earns the status for all. I hope I'm explaining it so you can understand it.

And contrary to what many say, you do not have to be booked in a cabin with your kids. I know how to pull this off by making my own reservation and RCI knows how to do it, too, if they are willing to help. Kids are only required to be in the same quadrant of the ship on the same deck. Now, if they were little kids, I would want them close by if I wasn't going to be sleeping in their room. All you need is a competant RCI supervisor to clarify this for you. And no, all are not competant even in the supervisory position.

Basically - just always book the person in the family with the higher earned cruise credits in the cabin that earns the most cruise credits. That will keep your C&A status moving right along.

Perfect explination! This is the situation that DH and I are in right now. I have 3 more credits than he does. His NUMBER of credits remains the same even though he shares my STATUS. He's at GOLD (4) and I am at Platinum (7). Even though he is considered Platinum because of me... if he were to earn 5 more credits, he would still be Platinum because of the number he has personally been credited with.

The OP keeps stating that she deserved matching credits. That is not what Royal Caribbean offers, they offer matching status.

Something just occurred to me - I'm not sure RCI even KNOWS that DH & I are married. We have different last names. We each earned our D+ status cruising together, but I don't think there's anything in their information bank that would even lead them to believe that we're anything but cohabitants.

I'm taking a cruise in May w/o DH - we'll see what happens after that!

Something just occurred to me - I'm not sure RCI even KNOWS that DH & I are married. We have different last names. We each earned our D+ status cruising together, but I don't think there's anything in their information bank that would even lead them to believe that we're anything but cohabitants.

I'm taking a cruise in May w/o DH - we'll see what happens after that!

Well what do you think will happen? As you are both D+ already and there´s no higher level right now, besides getting more perks at 50 and 100 cruise credits nothing will happen besides you´ll have more credits on your account than him.

DH and I sailed in a JS in Jan (just he and I) to make Platinum. We previously had 3 cruise credits. Shortly after our cruise, my mom, who lives with us and also had only 3 credits, received a letter informing her that she was now also platinum.

I remembered reading that same household members shared status, but it was was still a happy, unexpected surprise. :)

Basically, if you reside at the same address your status level should be linked. But occasionally you need to request that they link your accounts. That was the case when I noticed my over 18 year old daughter was still considered gold when my husband and I were both platinum. I called them to point out the same address and they linked the accounts right then. She is now diamond with us and in a little over a year my almost 17 year old will become an automatic diamond member - unless they change the rules by then.

As someone said, Jean and her dh/cohabitant :) are already D+. Only Jean will get the cruise credits and there is no where else to go from D+ anyway. But if they ever add a D++, he will go there right along with you Jean even though you have more credits. But you already know that. ;)

Okay I am in the same situation as you and want to make sure I have this straight. We just booked a 5 nt cruise in Aug to put us into the next bracket if we book a Jr. Suite. We are taking the kids this trip so my husband is booked in another room with the some of the kids & I have the Jr. Suite with some. Is my husband supposed to get the same cruise credit as I am for being in the Jr. Suite??? What is the policy on this?? If they don't give it to us we might as well just book two balcony rooms.

Thanks for answering the questions.

OK I know everyone knows this but me, but how many credits does it take to get to diamond plus, 15? 25?
After 24 completed cruise credits you reach Diamond Plus status.

Okay I am in the same situation as you and want to make sure I have this straight. We just booked a 5 nt cruise in Aug to put us into the next bracket if we book a Jr. Suite. We are taking the kids this trip so my husband is booked in another room with the some of the kids & I have the Jr. Suite with some. Is my husband supposed to get the same cruise credit as I am for being in the Jr. Suite??? What is the policy on this?? If they don't give it to us we might as well just book two balcony rooms.

Thanks for answering the questions.

You will both reach the next status tier because you are in the same household. However you will have one more cruise credit than your DH because you will receive 2 credits for the JS and he will get 1 credit for the other cabin (assuming it is a D1 or lower).

Then, in the future, should you book the same accommodations, you need to be sure that you are booked in the JS or you will be in the same pickle as the OP (basically "losing" a credit).

You will both reach the next status tier because you are in the same household. However you will have one more cruise credit than your DH because you will receive 2 credits for the JS and he will get 1 credit for the other cabin (assuming it is a D1 or lower).

Then, in the future, should you book the same accommodations, you need to be sure that you are booked in the JS or you will be in the same pickle as the OP (basically "losing" a credit).

I just wanted to add that it is to your advantage that if one of the people in the household are more likely to cruise without the other, that it makes sense for the person who cruises more to have the JS in that scenario...

Since I will from time to time go on a "girls trip", if we ever booked two cabins I should always be the one to be booked in the JS with DH in the D1.

You should always be consistant with the person showing in the JS to maximize your household credits.

Hmmmmmmmmmm! I have to disagree with some of your answers.

Everytime i take a cruise without my husband, when my cruise gets qualified and another number is added to my list, another number gets added to his list. I have gone on at least 4 cruises without him and he still has the same number as i do.

Not only that, but my daughter who has only been on 4 cruises has 48 cruise credits on her account in Rccl.

Yup I just went and checked and he has exactly the same numner as I do.

My family are all DP.........BUT it does show the actual numbers of cruises somewhere in the RCCL system,esp on the ships...............on the EX last year, the LA looked and said our daughter,who was with us,had 5 cruises...............and this past weekend,on the Sovereign, the LA announced how many cruises all the DP pax had(at the P and D party).......she said my name and said 33..then said my husbands and said 26(I have cruised w/o him)...........it was pretty funny..Hey! Someone has to work once in a while.................anyway, even though we are all DP, there is a list somewhere that has your name and actual cruises you have taken..........

It is kinda confusing cuz if I look under MY CRUISES on http://www.rccl.com,it says we all have 33.........but technically,I am the only one in my family with thay amount................my son only has one RCCL cruise under his belt,but according to MY CRUISES,he has 33.........

There is a difference between actual cruises and cruise credits. My actual cruises are one thing while my credits are something totally different because of other members of my house. It is the credits that bring you to a certain level. An individual that is the ONLY person that is C&A in a house may have cruised three times but have five credits because of cruising in suites.

...but my daughter who has only been on 4 cruises has 48 cruise credits on her account in Rccl.
But when she moves out she will revert back to however many credits she earned on those 4 cruises. (Although I have read of cases where children moving out retained the status/credits they had when living with their parents but when that happens it is a mistake on RCCL's part.) She doesn't really have that many credits. It just shows that way on the website to keep her at your level.

Same goes for your DH since he hasn't cruised as often as you.

There is a difference between actual cruises and cruise credits. My actual cruises are one thing while my credits are something totally different because of other members of my house. It is the credits that bring you to a certain level. An individual that is the ONLY person that is C&A in a house may have cruised three times but have five credits because of cruising in suites.
Right. But RCCL still knows how many cruises each member of your household took and how many credits each of those cruises earned each person.

Archived