Mariner 3/11-3/18 (Longest Review Ever!!)

Hello all! Yes I do plan to put this in the members reviews section as well. I hope to do that in the next few days.

To answer the first questions....

AKCRUZ - Since we didnt have a tour planned in Grand Cayman I honestly dont know how it worked for the early tours. On past cruises however, we told the staff that we had an early tour and we were on the first tender with no problems. The first tender left 1/2 hour after we anchored. That is typical, so I would think as long as you have great communication with people on board as to your time, and you are waiting there upon anchor, you should have no problem getting on that first tender.

CAPTJANEWAY - Portofino was perfect at 9pm this particular day. We were very full from our meal from Senor Frogs and by 9pm I was ready to eat. Since there is so much food, just dont eat a lot the day you eat in Portofino. The crowd was light at that time too, so I think that is how we got such great attentive service. I liked the less crowded feel.

DAISY7113 - Sorry, but I dont have any pics of the room. Out of all the pics we took, we forgot to take some of the room. Sorry about that.

SPAMMIE - The Dragons Lair is a great club. They play a great variety of music, and the younger crowd's favorites usually began after midnight. They played a good mix between 11 and 12. Then it became more hip hop genre. This is usually when we departed.

The deck patrol was great at keeping the chairs free of the towels, but it definitely took over 30 mins for the turnaround. People snag them immediately upon the towel removal too, like hawks.

BRAD1185 - I posted all the entrees on a seperate post on here previously, and my takes on what we ordered. The western had one new menu, the old caribbean menu is gone. Sorry I dont have a scanner to get menus posted, so I never took pictures of them.

Thx Marissa! Best review ever! We're going on the Mariner in Oct., 4th. E Carib. & in Feb for W. Does that tell you our opinion of the ship? :) We had CD Becky for the first time in Feb. so I finally realize the difference the CD can make! Really hoping she stays w/Capt. Johnny @ least thru. next Feb.! Will have to search for this again after Oct. to prepare for Feb. Western! Have done the W. on another line that was not the greatest experience so sticking w/Mariner. Can't wait to see what's visible after dry dock other than new beds.

I will be interested in hearing reviews of Mariner after drydock as well as to the changes. I really didnt think it needed much except for the bedding and the carpets, maybe new deck chairs, but it will be interesting if they add any brand new features or anything.

Marissa-

Great review of Mariner. We have not been on her, but considered her for next year (and may yet do that depending on how next years schedule pans out). We sailed the same week as you on Legend to the W. Carib. My review was lengthy as well, done the same as yours, day by day.

Glad you had a great time.

Thank you Marissa for the GREAT DETAILED review!!!! I guess you kept some kind of notes as not to forget for your review. You had to unless you have such a wonderful memory, I could never remember all of that info. I was so impressed with your review that I could not stop reading it and my wife was asking me why I am still on-line and told her tomorrow she has to read it also. Thanks again for all of the great info.

Ken

You mention you brought and used a "passport holder". Where did you get yours from?

I actually got mine at Walmart in the luggage section of the store. They had two, and I chose the zipper one. Target also had a real nice one in their luggage section. Recommend either!

Thanks for everyone's kind words regarding my review. Yes, I did keep notes throughout. :) Plus, this review is saved for my own keepsakes from my cruise so I can look back on it one day and remember all the good memories.

Thank you so much for your review. DH and I are taking our first cruise on the Mariner in September (Eastern Caribbean though) and you just increased my anticipation level... and I didn't think that is could get any higher!

Hey Marissa! You said it was going to be long, and you were right! But you included all the important details so anything shorter would have been leaving something important out. I did have to laugh though cuz we disagree on a lot of items.

We had the late seating dining time as well. We were on the bottom level at a table for 4. We had very fast service, never had to wait for the courses to be served. The food was really, really good. Except one night when my steak was way over cooked. We usually do not enjoy the dining room, but this time we really did.

I hated the John Davidson show. We were on the bottom level towards the back, and we did leave early. However it must have been before the rudeness started happening. We didn't hear anything being shouted out. That would have really p.....d me off. No reason to behave like that!

I did not enjoy the ice skating show. I used to be a skater and I found the rink to be way to small for the jumps they were attempting. Not one jump was complete. If they sort of fall out of a jump, or skid to a stop right after it, it was a bad jump. I couldn't get past all the technical parts being messed up. BUT my sister, who has no idea of the technique loved the show. She didn't see any of that. So I think it is worth going to if you just want to watch something pretty.

our excursions were the 4x4 jungle adventure and dunns river falls. It was just OK. Not much jungle involved. Just a ride in the back of a truck to the falls. They provided two stops. One for the potty house and of course the vendors, and the other at a place to have a fruit and punch picnic of sorts. Then a trip to the falls. We would not do this one again. Of course Passion Island. We really loved this one too, but we felt the time there was way to short!!! And then we did the stingray sandbar via the racing catamaran. This was fun. Judie got in the water but not me. TOOOOOO scary!! The catamaran sailed back to the pier and that was fun. But again, we would not do this one again.

We absolutely loved the Mariner. I am really afraid it may have spoiled cruising for us if we go on any other ship. It is incredible!! We really enjoyed that the food was not all in one spot. It was nice to grab a bite at the cafe on the promanade. The frozen yogurt is always a favorite for Judie and she was happy with the hours it was available. 12pm - 9pm, Plenty of chances to get your cone!

We love the line dancing classes. It is a time of pure fun for us. I thought it was really nice that they were held on the pool deck instead of some stuffy room inside.

We found the food in the windjammer really good. Choices were wide open for everything we like. I agree that I don't want a heavy lunch but I had no problem with all the salad choices and the two kinds of soup offered each day. Of course the desserts were good, but not the best we ever had. Even in the dining room they were lacking. But I gotta say that even without the desserts we never were hungry!

We got to the ship really early because we got off the sensation in the morning and got on the Mariner that afternoon. We had no problems or glitches what so ever. I found the most confusing part was that there were wedding parties that had to board before any of us and they seemed to be very confused on how to get this task done. Once they were on, things went very smoothly. We were at the pool by 11:00 am I think. Rooms were not ready until 1:oo pm and they close the fire doors so don't even bother trying to get in early. Disembarking was a snap. We actually used the luggage valet service offered to those flying home. We packed our luggage on Sat. night, put it out in the hallway and the next time we saw it was at the airport at home. We didn't have to find it, lug it through customs, to the car, through the airport etc. We will always use this service in the future!! $15.00 well spent!!

Ok, just thought I'd tag onto your review. We enjoyed meeting you and your husband. Good luck with the April results! Take Care.

Janet/Judie:

Awh poor John Davidson!!! I guess me and hubby really were in the low percentage that enjoyed him on our cruise.

I enjoyed meeting you all too. I loved hearing your stories and sharing some laughs. Really glad our Passion Island excursion ended up the way it did since I didnt make the mingle and all.

I hear what you say about Mariner spoiling you. I know myself that any and all Royal cruises in future will be compared to Mariner. I have a feeling they wont ever add up to this experience haha.

Marissa

I will be interested in hearing reviews of Mariner after drydock as well as to the changes. I really didnt think it needed much except for the bedding and the carpets, maybe new deck chairs, but it will be interesting if they add any brand new features or anything.

Hi there

When is the Mariner scheduled to go in for drydock. I'm sailing on May 13th so it will be nice if it was before I leave.

Kimbit, Congrats on having your wedding in St Thomas. My daughter just got engaged in St Thomas. I will be on the 5/13 sailing also. Mariner is scheduled to come out of drydock for the first sailing on 5/6. We have a Meet & Mingle for the 5/13 sailing if you are interested.

Brenda

Thanks for the review. We cruise in June on the Mariner. The towel thing is a pain--I'm one that likes more than 1 towel and I bet my kids will lose theirs. We stayed at an all inclusive resort that did this, and saw people take other people's towels to replace their own that got lost!! Maybe I should buy cheap ones to take, but I never have any extra suit case room!

Thanks for the review. We cruise in June on the Mariner. The towel thing is a pain--I'm one that likes more than 1 towel and I bet my kids will lose theirs. We stayed at an all inclusive resort that did this, and saw people take other people's towels to replace their own that got lost!! Maybe I should buy cheap ones to take, but I never have any extra suit case room!

I am glad that someone agrees with me on the towel thing. It was surprising how strict they were on the policy too. Its a shame we have to even consider bringing our own towels, ya know?

Archived