Haagen-Dazs!

Jesterscourt

Does it bother anybody else to have to pay for ice cream on a cruise? We fondly remember a cruise on Holland America where ice cream and cappuccino were free. Who wants to continually sign for ice cream all day long? And do they add a gratuity each time also? I admit that Haagen-Dazs is to die for, but we don't need premium ice cream every time. I can understand having to pay for alcoholic beverages but nobody is going to get drunk and disorderly on too much ice cream! I would rather have them charge a bit more for the cruise and not charge for ice cream or soda, etc. By the way, this is not a major complaint and will not make us choose a different cruise line. This is our 4th Princess cruise and it has always bugged me.

Free ice cream, in many flavors, is available at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms. Plus (for some unknown reason, Princess doesn't advertise this) there's homemade ice cream with toppings in the Horizon Court, sometime around 3:30-4:30. Just check out both sides.

As mentioned by Cruisin' Chick there is icecream available for free 3 times daily. There is also sorbet and frozen yoguart free as well. I can usually get my fix during these times. The Princess made icecream is delicious. I remember blueberry yoguart, cappicino, chocolate, peach, vanilla and other flavors available during our last cruise. It's a good thing they scoop for you or I would be in trouble. ;)

I consider "Pay ice cream" to be the same as "Pay Gold by the inch" or "Pay bingo". A way the cruiseline can make money that I don't have to participate in.

But with the ice cream at least there are Free alternatives, as already mentioned, so really, in my mind, if you pay for ice cream, you're a sucker.

Does it bother anybody else to have to pay for ice cream on a cruise?
It doesn't bother me in the least since I've never paid for ice cream on a cruise: there's plenty of really good ice cream at lunch, in the afternoon and at dinner that's completely free. It's as good as the so-called "premium" brands.

Ice cream has two variables: fat content to give it richness and flavor. The free Princess ice cream has both. Even the fat-free and sherbets are excellent.

Go ahead and spend your money. I'm happy with what's already offered.

We only did the pay ice cream once during our 11 day cruise for a special treat. You could get it for free at meals and like others have said....3:30 to 4:30...something that that. I must say that the ice cream treat we paid for was well worth it! It was like going to cold stones....they hand mixed it just like they do with anything you wanted....it was really very good, and worth the extra money.

I am sticking to my guns. I still don't think we should have to "figure out" where not to pay for the ice cream or risk being called a "sucker". And we don't eat ice cream all day long but sometimes get the urge and it would be nice to have it available when we want it, without having to pay for it. Claiming that others would be absorbing this extra cost is like saying if someone orders steak instead of pasta in the dining room, the rest of us are "absorbing" that extra cost. And if I don't eat pizza, for example, why is that free, and am I "absorbing" that cost also? The spirit of a cruise is to be pampered and I find paying for extra items like ice cream to be disruptive of the flow of the fantasy we are trying to create during our week at sea. AND, I object to being belittled or being called names by folks that cannot tolerate, even to the slightest degree, hearing anything negative about Princess. Get over yourselves!

Free ice cream' date=' in many flavors, is available at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms. Plus (for some unknown reason, Princess doesn't advertise this) there's homemade ice cream with toppings in the Horizon Court, sometime around 3:30-4:30. Just check out both sides.[/quote']

On the Caribbean Princess a week ago, the free ice cream was available in the starboard side of the Horizon Court from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. every afternoon. Although they only offered chocolate and vanilla, there were many toppings. And if you saved a brownie and banana from lunch, you could make yourself a delicious banana split!

same concept as RCI charging for Ben & Jerry's... I'm not as familiar with RCI, so I don't know if they have a free alternative, but I assume they do.

The free ice cream isn't hard to find or some by. Just note the patters, and it should be spelled out. Or, just check the Horizon Court before heading to the ice cream bar.

The difference with the steak/pasta analogy, IMHO, is that those are both items included in EVERYONE'S cruise fare. You can have whichever you wish - you COULD have chosen the steak, but you didn't. The premium ice cream is an additional charge option, like the souvenirs, shore excursions, specialty dining, etc... everyone will indulge to varying degrees on this, and it seems perfectly fair that you are charged for what you buy. Not flaming at all, just an opinion.

I still don't think we should have to "figure out" where not to pay for the ice cream

You don't have to figure it out, a bunch of people just told you how to find free ice cream. I must have missed your thanking them for the info :rolleyes:

We don't have to pay for Haagen Daz, we chose to pay for it. We do the free ice cream in the dining room but there are times when we want the other. We like that it's available. It is nothing that you have do - almost like having chocolate covered strawberries in the cabin on formal night - it's an option.

Joan

Archived