The tiny ship was tossed

That was really scary. I'm certaintly glad I wasn't on that ship. I would have been PRAYING the entire time.

I have seen that video before on this board in another thread, and i think someone said that ship was abandoned and that the engines were cut, which is why it was rocking so much! Having said that, it is scary to watch something as big as a cruise ship rocking and rolling like that! I would NOT want to be on a ship while that was going on, lol!

Sheri

This was in Feb. 05 and the ship is the Voyager (not Voyager of the Seas). Ship has had several other names like Olympic Voyager and I think Grand Voyager.

It was not on a regular cruise when this happened but had Students onboard as it was used as a Scholar ship at the time.

It happened in the Med during a winter storm and the ship lost it´s engines, which was the reason for being bumped around that much by the wind and seas.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2005a.html

VOYAGER Powerless In Storm

February 14: Iberojet's (Spain) VOYAGER (ex OLYMPIC VOYAGER, OLYMPIA VOYAGER) was battered by 30-foot (10 meter) waves in the western Mediterranean leaving the ship without power. With 480 mostly Spanish passengers and 296 crew on board, the ship (sister to EXPLORER, which was also recently left powerless by a Pacific storm -- see January 27th news below) was departing Sardinia on a voyage between Tunis and Barcelona. A French-led rescue operation was reportedly under way to reach the stricken ship, about 100 km (60 miles) from Menorca. There were reports of minor injuries and the crew were battling to restore engine power. A liquefied gas tanker, GIMMI, was standing by after receiving the VOYAGER's distress call sent just after 0900 GMT February 14. A large wave smashed the bridge windows at about 0800 GMT, damaging electronics and causing the loss of power. The distress call said it was taking on water, the coast guard reported. Two tugs were on their way to the scene and several aircraft have also been sent to the scene. Click here for Peter knego's tour of the ship as OLYMPIC VOYAGER

UPDATE: Crew were successful in restarting two of four engines. VOYAGER now heading for Sardinia. Passengers with minor injuries and were being treated on board. V Ships, her operators, report none were life-threatening. VOYAGER is expected at Cagliari, Sardinia, early on February 15 and her messages are being relayed by the liquefied gas tanker, GIMMI, which was standing by.

VOYAGER Safe

February 15: Iberojet's VOYAGER (ex OLYMPIC VOYAGER, OLYMPIA VOYAGER) reached land. Bruises and eight broken bones were reported among those disembarking, according to officials at the port of Cagliari in Sardina.

All I could think of when I saw the name on the thread was Gilligan's Island and the theme song.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't have wanted to have been on board. We had a rough ride once on a much larger ship. Not a lot of fun!!!

That made me sea sick just watching it! LOL

On a similar note, if anyone else has been on the Mariner recently and was told the same story, Phillip, who is Becky's asst told us the story of a ship that he was on. I dont know if it was the Mariner or not, but the crew was flown into Finland to work on the ship while it traveled from Finland to wherever it was going to originally dock at. He said that they had some 50ft waves going on during a storm. The windows were being busted out and things were being thrown around the ship. He was so cute telling it because he was saying how everyone else was sick, but he loved it! :p While I love the rocking of the ship, I cant even imagine being on it during 50ft waves! :eek: Has anyone else heard Phillip tell this story?

Wow! Seriously scary footage! Made me seasick.

I got a kick out of the comments below the video at that web site. Kids trying to say that ship was just a toy in a bathtub! Not many people can fake a helicopter hovering over a bathtub with two crew on the copter. Oh well. If they don't want to believe a ship can be in that much trouble, that is their prerogative.

Holy cow, that really is something to see!!

It got me thinking, though . . . what would I do if, heaven forbid, I was ever in that kind of situation? Assuming that I was in my cabin, my first thought would be to lie on the bed -- but with nothing to hold on to, at some of those angles I'd probably be tossed right off. Maybe sit in the tub? The sides are usually pretty high, and you've got the hand rails too. Plus it would be easy clean up, just in case my last meal didn't cooperate. ;)

Does anybody know if there is a protocol for this sort of thing?

It happened in the Med during a winter storm and the ship lost it´s engines, which was the reason for being bumped around that much by the wind and seas.

The engines are alive and well and the props are turning. You can tell by the wash at the stern as well as when the stern comes up, you can see the prop wash/spray. Also, it would not be pointed into the waves if the engines were dead.

As a single parent cruising with my 4 sons, I can only hope I will never find myself in that situation. Personally I know I would be petrified and wanting nothing more than to huddle up in a corner and sob. However, I also know that that would terrify my sons even more, if I lost it like that. So I can only hope that IF I ever find myself in such a situation I can find the strength in me to pretend this is a wonderful adventure, that nothing could possibly be wrong, and ease their minds.

Archived