Carnival bans H2O

seaisme

I like a certain premium brand of vodka made in Holland, but the ships do not carry it. :( I can't take it on board.

Well, I feel the same way about certain brands of dark beer -- HAL doesn't carry any dark beer. But I don't pack it because it's not allowed.

However, since soft drinks/water ARE allowed, we take the item that DH prefers to drink. :)

If HAL chooses to ban pax from bringing on soft drinks/water, we will either get a doctor's note or leave the sugar-free non-carbonated drinks at home and he'll have to make do with water for 7 days.

My thoughts exactly.

Do folks complain when Disney World & other Theme Parks, Sports Stadiums or Concert Halls prohibit bringing drinks/food into the park or arena? Do they make a stink when restaurants prohibit the same activity or impose corkage fees for bringing their own wine into their premises?

Do folks honestly expect the Security Guy to wave you in because simply saying "But you don't serve Brand X" makes it all Okay?

...and with all the threads on CC.com about how to smuggle liquor onboard - of which "pour it into water/soda bottles" seems to be among the most common - did folks honestly think that lines would simply continue to turn a blind eye???

IMO - Everyone has a choice. Folks can abide by the rules, stay home or vacation somewhere else where the rules (or lack thereof) may be more to their liking.

just to clarify...Walt Disney World allows you to bring drinks and snacks/food into the parks. They understand that families may NOT be able to afford the cost of the food/drinks at the parks...that they may have saved for years just to be able to purchase the admission tickets. For some cruising families, it may be the same. Particularly with a line like Carnival, which probably attracts more passengers on a limited budget due to their pricing schedule.

The ship is a floating hotel...and I haven't been stopped recently when checking into a hotel to have my luggage checked to see if I might have a wine bottle or can of Coke hidden somewhere to enjoy later in my room. Maybe Pier 66 will frisk me when I check in next Friday pre-cruise?

in 80+ cruises I've only seen Coke served.....what ship were you on that didn't have Coke?? Must of been a Carnival ship since I don't do Carnival

Carnival serves coke, too. In fact, I was planning to take a 6 pack of my sister's favorite, Diet Pepsi for her on our "sister's cruise". I guess she'll have to deal with Diet Coke.

I realize this is all hypothetical, as Carnival hasn't officially implemented this policy, nor has HAL copied it, but who needs facts. . .

Of course the cruise line has the right to implement a policy such as this, but it's mighty petty, IMO. Why stop with recapturing potentailly lost profits only from soft drink and water sales. Think how much the gift shops lose because people bring their own deoderants, suntan lotions, seasick meds, etc. Buy them on board! Don't they make money on Tux rentals? Ban bringing them on board so the rental shop can make a fair profit. Where does it stop?

I have a feeling some overly aggressive green-eye-shade accountant got carried away with this idea. Maybe it's just a trial balloon, because I have a hard time believing a line would really implement this policy.

On a tangential note, and I doubt I'm unique, about 15 years ago our then favorite sushi bar began charging an extra 50 cents for an extra order of pickled ginger which really ticked me off, especially since we always ate and drank more than the average patron. Now, I wasn't ready to blow the place off over something that trivial, but we did try out a newly opened sushi bar, found it much better, and never went back. That extra 50 cents cost them thousands(sic) of subsequent Dollars.

I think eventually all cruise lines under CCL will ban the water and soda. For now it is only Carnival, but I am sure the other lines like Hal and Princess will follow.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with people jumping/falling/diving overboard. IMO it is for pure profit. They can make more money selling it on board.

Absolutely agree, it's totally a profit issue, they are really naive if they think the public would believe otherwise.:rolleyes:

Frankly, I think a upscale cruise line like HAL would realize that they will lost more in goodwill than gain in additional revenues if they enforced a decision like that.:rolleyes: Babyboomers (HAL's main demographic) will expect no less with the current cost of cruising.:cool:

I truthfully am at a loss why people have to drag cases of water with them. We've never brought a sip of water aboard with us and have managed just fine for hundreds of days. The water on the ships is excellent. If laboratory analyzed, I would expect to find HAL's water to be more pure and better quality than any of the way overpriced bottled brands.

Can't folks just drink the water on the ship for a week?

Works for us and we drink lots of water.

As to soda, I don't drink a six pack of diet coke in a year. No loss to me if we never have another glass of it.

But then again, we don't bring wine with us either and I can't remember a dinner on HAL when we didn't have wine. We have it nightly....if we don't finish a bottle one night, the steward corks it and brings it back to us the next night.

I'd rather have HAL keep the fares as low as possible and if they need to require people who want bottled water to buy it aboard, it's an optional thing that people do not have to do. They can stay well hydrated without purchasing bottled water.

I realize this probably is not popular but I truthfully don't get it that people need to lug cases of anything aboard with them for a week. Does anyone really have to have a particular soft drink in case quantities in order to enjoy a week's vacation? I think it is the excess that people bring that might be instigating new rules. Maybe if things had been kept to moderation, it would have been okay with Carnival and ultimately whatever cruise lines follow suit.

JMHO .....

just to clarify...Walt Disney World allows you to bring drinks and snacks/food into the parks. They understand that families may NOT be able to afford the cost of the food/drinks at the parks...that they may have saved for years just to be able to purchase the admission tickets.

Umm...

"Can I bring food into Disneyland® Park or Disney's California Adventure® Park?"*

"With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland® Resort theme parks."

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/detail?name=DiningFAQDetailPage#qa5

Sail - I completely agree with you. A couple of cases of water or soda is H-E-A-V-Y! Our luggage is heavy enough. :o

We didn't bother buying HAL's bottled water simply because we didn't want to carry those large 1L or 1.5L bottles. We usually would buy the smaller bottles to drink while in port, bring them back on board, then re-fill & stick in the cabin fridge. That way we'd always have a few bottles of cold water in the room.

And if "your" brand of booze or soda or whatever isn't available onboard - well, look at it as an opportunity to try something new! :)

Umm...

"Can I bring food into Disneyland® Park or Disney's California Adventure® Park?"*

"With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland® Resort theme parks."

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/detail?name=DiningFAQDetailPage#qa5

Brian...I'm from the opposite coast...in Florida, Disney has an open view about those enjoying the parks. (we are annual passholders).

and sail7seas...our bar bill at the end of the cruise is very hefty...a premium bottle of wine each dinner...lots of drinks throughout the cruise, etc., etc. But after all that expense, why should we not be able to enjoy what we want to drink at other times? Pepsi? Coke? Dark Beer? A special brand of vodka? or a special drink? A nice wine to take with us on shore excursions? In fact...for our upcoming cruise, we have already spent over $500 for drinks for the six of us...wine cards, speciality drinks, soda cards, celebration packages, wine packages, etc. And that won't cover our wine for dinner each evening, etc. If I want to also bring along something for my cabin, perhaps a nice Ameretto for a nightcap after a wonderful meal...to enjoy on our verandah...why should I not be able to do so? I really don't think I am cheating HAL or that I am cheap. I want the freedom to be able to bring along what I want ...it isn't a threat to anyone. it's a choice. And if the cruise industry decides to institute such severe restrictions...then we'll just have to go back to luxury hotels for vacations...who are more than willing to deliver a wine cork at 1:00 am for their guests who have brought a special bottle along for a celebration.

Well, this CC article states it to be fact, and I think they would have confirmed it. :confused:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1985

You can confirm it on the Carnival web site.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

spacer.gifA liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club.

Any additional quantity of wine/champagne or any alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ports-of-Call Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board -

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

I think it's nuts.

No, it's not. It allows the cruise line to charge you what THEY want you to pay for those items, and thus increase their profits. It's just like going to a baseball or football game. Can't bring food or beverages into the stadium. Now, why do you think that is? Why, so that they can charge you $3.50 for that puny hotdog, silly! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was going to bring a case of water on my recent Noordam cruise, but when I mentioned it on this board, everyone assured me the tap water is great to drink. So, I brought two bottles only and refilled them. I was fine.

Water tasted great.

seaisme......

With all due respect and I truthfully mean this respectfully......

We can and cannot do things aboard ships as regulated by the owners of the ships upon (or 'in' per Captain Card) which we sail. If HAL says it is okay to bring a bottle of water aboard, then it is okay to do so.

If HAL says you must purchase the bottle of Amaretto from them in order to have a bottle in your cabin, then that is what we are agreeing to when we decide to sail their ships.

It is their rules and if we don't like them, we vote with our feet. I still maintain these rules are instigated by people going to such excess. Had they used moderation, perhaps we'd still have freedom to bring one bottle of Amaretto. I think many of our fellow cruisers abused the privilege so badly, they put an end to that 'nicety'. Blame ourselves first......then HAL. Yes, of course, it is about money. I doubt anyone thinks otherwise. Keep the fares as low as possible and raise revenue aboard. It's working. They are fillilng the ships and (hopefully) making a profit. I say hopefully as I want to continue to sail their fine ships and want to continue to see new ones added to the Fleet.

If enough people vote with their feet (wallets), they might reconsider.

But I wouldn't count on it.

This is a free society. We don't have to cruise; we don't have to cruise HAL.

But if we do, we follow their rules. And the rules apply to all of us.

I'm waiting to hear someone say they'll get a doctor's note that says they must have their 6 cans of Dr. Pepper everyday to insure their good health. That is their 'preferred' drink and no other soda will do.

IMO........

Umm...

We have always been able to bring food an beverages into any of the Disney hotels.

WDW does let you take snacks/drinks into the theme parks.

I never have bothered, but I know people do it all the time. I think they'd stop someone with a big cooler and full-blown picnic, however.

As for water on a HAL ship -- I drink the ship's water. It's fine.

I don't drink soda or lemonade or iced tea. Water is pretty much the only non-alcoholic beverage I drink.

When we go off the ship, I buy a bottle of water on the gangway to carry with me.

I cannot imagine carrying a case of anything aboard! :eek:

No, it's not. It allows the cruise line to charge you what THEY want you to pay for those items, and thus increase their profits. It's just like going to a baseball or football game. Can't bring food or beverages into the stadium. Now, why do you think that is? Why, so that they can charge you $3.50 for that puny hotdog, silly! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's strange!!!! You are allowed to bring a cooler into the Ballpark at Arlington to see the Texas Rangers play baseball. I would have assumed it is the same throughout all the major league baseball parks.

They clearly state that the cooler must be of the size to fit under the seat and you are allowed any non-alcoholic drink as long as it is not in a glass bottle. I look around and see so many people eating their oversize bag of chips, hot dogs, chicken etc. etc.

The cruise lines are building too many ships and they are going to have trouble filling them with these ridiculous policies. I always make it a point to cut out or minimize my purchases on a line that offends me in some fashion. It may be minute in the overall scheme of things, but I get satisfaction out of not spending additional money which is their loss.

That's strange!!!! You are allowed to bring a cooler into the Ballpark at Arlington to see the Texas Rangers play baseball.

Hopefully, someone who has actually gone to Phillies games here will post, but I am almost positive there are no concealed packages allowed to be brought into the ballfield. I think the reason for it is they've had problems in the past with people throwing empty beer cans and bottles onto the field. It's very difficult to search each and every person's package in order to determine exactly what they are carrying in, so the easiest way to do it is to ban all packages.

Blue skies ...

--rita

seaisme......

With all due respect and I truthfully mean this respectfully......

We can and cannot do things aboard ships as regulated by the owners of the ships upon (or 'in' per Captain Card) which we sail. If HAL says it is okay to bring a bottle of water aboard, then it is okay to do so.

If HAL says you must purchase the bottle of Amaretto from them in order to have a bottle in your cabin, then that is what we are agreeing to when we decide to sail their ships.

It is their rules and if we don't like them, we vote with our feet. I still maintain these rules are instigated by people going to such excess. Had they used moderation, perhaps we'd still have freedom to bring one bottle of Amaretto. I think many of our fellow cruisers abused the privilege so badly, they put an end to that 'nicety'. Blame ourselves first......then HAL. Yes, of course, it is about money. I doubt anyone thinks otherwise. Keep the fares as low as possible and raise revenue aboard. It's working. They are fillilng the ships and (hopefully) making a profit. I say hopefully as I want to continue to sail their fine ships and want to continue to see new ones added to the Fleet.

If enough people vote with their feet (wallets), they might reconsider.

But I wouldn't count on it.

This is a free society. We don't have to cruise; we don't have to cruise HAL.

But if we do, we follow their rules. And the rules apply to all of us.

I'm waiting to hear someone say they'll get a doctor's note that says they must have their 6 cans of Dr. Pepper everyday to insure their good health. That is their 'preferred' drink and no other soda will do.

IMO........

sail...no offfense taken. that's what is so nice about these boards. we can all freely express our thoughts. Just as an FYI... I don't take Ameretto along since it is banned..but would LOVE to! (but will admit that we have taken vodka and pucker along on previous cruises for martinis to enjoy on our verandah...but have decided it's not worth the packing and risk). And we take about four bottles of water...and re-fill on the ship. Agree with other posters...ship water is fine! My position is that we like some freedom in what we do...and if the cruise industry puts too many constraints on us, then we'll probably find something else to do with our travel time. :(

it's the lack of freedom, and not a specific item that is the issue. I would NOT be comfortable entering a "space" that is confined and being told that I can only partake in things that are offered...without choice. Kinda' sounds like prison to me and that just doesn't sound like vacation. Again, it's only my opinion...

Cass

I would stop cruising if all cruise lines banned bringing water onboard, that is too much. It's a shame Carnival is doing this, that ensures I will never try the cruise line.

In 14 years of visiting Disney I have never seen one patron not allowed into a theme park with bottles of water or food. Some families cannot afford to buy Disney drinks and food at inflated prices and thousands bring their own snacks and such accordingly without being stopped.

There is a line when a business can no longer in infringe on personal rights and that is it. Next they will stop people from bringing formal wear so you are forced to rent their gowns and tuxes. It's no different from what Carnival is trying to do now.

JHannah,

We go to movies all the time and bring in our own drinks. These are at well know big name move theaters. There s no posting that you can not do it and these same theaters have cola machines right on the premises.

Yes, some smaller theaters have this policy and I certainly would never bring drinks into an art theater such as in a Science or Art Museum theater, etc.

But where we go, tons of people bring there own food, plus its hard to tell the difference since the biggest theaters have food courts right there. I don't like the smell but lots of folks sit there eating hamburgers and hot dogs and most were cooked within the theater premise.

I believe canned drinks are banned at football stadiums since people put alcohol inside plus leave the trash. I thought it was partly a security issue.

........There is a line when a business can no longer in infringe on personal rights and that is it. Next they will stop people from bringing formal wear so you are forced to rent their gowns and tuxes. It's no different from what Carnival is trying to do now.

I guess I missed that "right" in the Constitution. What about a business's right to control what goes on in their place of business. Seems to me the ship in the cruise line's "place of business".

If they want to make us all rent their tuxs as part of the cost of entrance to their place of business .... then it is their right ..... as much as it is our right to choose not to patron their business.

I truthfully am at a loss why people have to drag cases of water with them. We've never brought a sip of water aboard with us and have managed just fine for hundreds of days. The water on the ships is excellent. If laboratory analyzed, I would expect to find HAL's water to be more pure and better quality than any of the way overpriced bottled brands.

Can't folks just drink the water on the ship for a week?

Works for us and we drink lots of water.

As to soda, I don't drink a six pack of diet coke in a year. No loss to me if we never have another glass of it.

But then again, we don't bring wine with us either and I can't remember a dinner on HAL when we didn't have wine. We have it nightly....if we don't finish a bottle one night, the steward corks it and brings it back to us the next night.

I'd rather have HAL keep the fares as low as possible and if they need to require people who want bottled water to buy it aboard, it's an optional thing that people do not have to do. They can stay well hydrated without purchasing bottled water.

I realize this probably is not popular but I truthfully don't get it that people need to lug cases of anything aboard with them for a week. Does anyone really have to have a particular soft drink in case quantities in order to enjoy a week's vacation? I think it is the excess that people bring that might be instigating new rules. Maybe if things had been kept to moderation, it would have been okay with Carnival and ultimately whatever cruise lines follow suit.

JMHO .....

As a person who had lugged soda, nonalcoholic beer, water, and nonalcoholic wine on cruises for the past 15 years or so, I find it outrageous that a cruise line would try to keep a passenger from bringing such things aboard. I drink filtered water at home, so I doubt I'd want to drink tap water on a ship. Furthermore, the tap water is warm. I enjoy a good, cold bottle of water kept in the refrigerator in my cabin. I used to bring nonalcoholic beer because the ships for a long time didn't offer those. I read on the Princess site that they've stopped carrying nonalcoholic beer on the Caribbean Princess. Guess I'll be hauling beer on that cruise in December.

I agree with the person who compared this to a hotel trying to keep a guest from bringing outside treats to their room. C'mon!! Everywhere we turn, lately, some freedom is being taken from us. Very disturbing.:(

I guess I missed that "right" in the Constitution. What about a business's right to control what goes on in their place of business. Seems to me the ship in the cruise line's "place of business".

If they want to make us all rent their tuxs as part of the cost of entrance to their place of business .... then it is their right ..... as much as it is our right to choose not to patron their business.

No, this really IS a matter of personal rights and freedoms. This is not simply a business where you go in, make a purchase or watch a show, etc., the ship is a cruiser's "home" for however long the cruise lasts. Other than wanting to make even more money off their passengers, I can't think of one legitimate reason why a cruise line would get involved in what a passenger was bringing aboard - beverage wise. I can remember when bringing aboard your own liquor wasn't a problem, either.

I hope the cruise lines reconsider this action; better yet, hope this is just another dirty rumor.

Personal Rights and Freedom?

I'm not sure I classify the regulation by a cruise line barring passengers from bringing cases of beverages aboard to be a blow to my 'rights'; my freedoms. I'm free to not cruise or to not cruise on a ship/cruise line that bars me from doing something I require in order for my vacation to be all I want it to be. They have the 'freedom' to put whatever rules in place they wish. It's their ship/their business. We patronize that business or not. JMHO......

Archived