Carnival bans H2O

seaisme

On the CC Board there is info regarding Carnival banning bringing water and sodas on board...is this for HAL as well? We're sailing in April on HAL and had planned on bringing bottled water with us...and Sis is bringing soda for our Nephews. Personally, the decision to do so is questionable, since they still allow you to bring wine on board. Why in the world would they ban WATER???

I can understand Carnival banning this, simply because they cater more to the party crowd. I would be suprised if HAL did this. They were the last cruise line to ban alcohol onboard, so I would be suprised if they banned soda.

One of my joys in traveling, is being able to taste the different flavors of sodas in other countries. Italy has wonderful lemon sodas, the Azores have a wonderful grapefruit Fanta, and Bermuda has a nice Ginger Beer. Purchasing a few of these onshore to drink in our cabin is something we enjoy and would really miss.

I would hate to see "nickel and diming" get to this level on HAL, and I am praying that HAL doesn't stoop to that level.:o

I can understand Carnival banning this, simply because they cater more to the party crowd. I would be suprised if HAL did this. They were the last cruise line to ban alcohol onboard, so I would be suprised if they banned soda.

Yea that partying crowd really gets crazy after it gets tanked up on Dr. Pepper and Aquafina ........please

I was just looking at a few posts on the Carnival board , and from what I have read this ban on water and soda appeared on the Carnival website , but when several people called Customer Services or their PVP they were told there was no such ban. They can still bring water, soda, wine, champagne . Just no beer or hard stuff .

I am all for pax being able to bring on any beverages. It just seems that Carnival is always the first to start something. I hope that they don't start forbiding soda. Not all ships serve Coke products. I am not a Pepsi fan and would be upset if I couldn't have my Coke!

I am all for pax being able to bring on any beverages. It just seems that Carnival is always the first to start something. I hope that they don't start forbiding soda. Not all ships serve Coke products. I am not a Pepsi fan and would be upset if I couldn't have my Coke!

in 80+ cruises I've only seen Coke served.....what ship were you on that didn't have Coke?? Must of been a Carnival ship since I don't do Carnival

It doesn't suprise me that Carnival is now banning people bringing bottled water on board. With the number of people falling overboard and some of it related to drinking in their cabins, you can bet that it was due to smuggled booze for some of them.

So far HAL hasn't banned water being brought on board.

WEll they are cracking down on the booze on Carnival, now the water and I am sure soda isn't far behind. I have been expecting this for a long time. Don't let any of us be fooled into thinking it has to do with safety only; that will be their PR statement to the public, but it has to do with the almightly dollar as well. Of course whether we like it or not, business is business and if water, booze and soda has to stay on shore just think of the money they will make from all of us.? This policy is only for Carnival and no other lines right now. I don't see HAL putting a similar policy into effect for quite some time. NMnita

About 1 year ago RCI put the same kind of notice on their website that stated no beverages could be brought on board. They quickly changed it to no alcoholic beverages allowed and no under 21 ( had been under 18) allowed to be served alcohol. so it resulted in two changes, no wine allowed to be carried on and no one served under 21. Wonder what Carnival is trying?

My opinion is a cruiseline will try anything to see if it is tolerated. Business is good now so they feel free to try just about anything. If things get lean, policies probably would change to attract cruisers.

First time cruisers always are concerned about getting sea sick, being bored, and being in small cabins. Now they will get worried about beverage policies that they don't have to worry about in land based hotels and vacations. So far they keep trying cruising but who knows?

Although smugglers still manage to get by, the movie theater industry has had this restriction for years. No outside beverages.

Of course, I have never understood the reasoning for bringing water onboard. I've never tasted bad water on any ship we've been on. The R/O system makes it pure.

Maybe its because of lugging cases aboard? Maybe they would have been okay with folks bringing a bottle of two but multiple cases may have more than they wished to tolerate?

Don't know; just speculating. ;)

John (jtl513) ...... Thanks for the link.

We have to bring distilled water for DH's CPAP machine - wonder if they would reject that. We usually order it, but because it costs 4 times as much onboard and since we are leaving from our home port we thought we would carry it on. Hope HAL doesn't follow this trend.

I think eventually all cruise lines under CCL will ban the water and soda. For now it is only Carnival, but I am sure the other lines like Hal and Princess will follow.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with people jumping/falling/diving overboard. IMO it is for pure profit. They can make more money selling it on board.

Although smugglers still manage to get by, the movie theater industry has had this restriction for years. No outside beverages.

My thoughts exactly.

Do folks complain when Disney World & other Theme Parks, Sports Stadiums or Concert Halls prohibit bringing drinks/food into the park or arena? Do they make a stink when restaurants prohibit the same activity or impose corkage fees for bringing their own wine into their premises?

Do folks honestly expect the Security Guy to wave you in because simply saying "But you don't serve Brand X" makes it all Okay?

...and with all the threads on CC.com about how to smuggle liquor onboard - of which "pour it into water/soda bottles" seems to be among the most common - did folks honestly think that lines would simply continue to turn a blind eye???

IMO - Everyone has a choice. Folks can abide by the rules, stay home or vacation somewhere else where the rules (or lack thereof) may be more to their liking.

My thoughts exactly.

Do folks complain when Disney World & other Theme Parks, Sports Stadiums or Concert Halls prohibit bringing drinks/food into the park or arena? Do they make a stink when restaurants prohibit the same activity or impose corkage fees for bringing their own wine into their premises?

Do folks honestly expect the Security Guy to wave you in because simply saying "But you don't serve Brand X" makes it all Okay?

...and with all the threads on CC.com about how to smuggle liquor onboard - of which "pour it into water/soda bottles" seems to be among the most common - did folks honestly think that lines would simply continue to turn a blind eye???

IMO - Everyone has a choice. Folks can abide by the rules, stay home or vacation somewhere else where the rules (or lack thereof) may be more to their liking.

But at WDW you CAN take soda/bottled water to your hotel room. I do it all the time. Snacks, too.

The other venues, concerts, sports events, whatever, are limited time events.

A cruise is 24/7 -- except, of course, when you call on ports.

So I understand people's wanting to take their own water/soda. DH likes a certain sugar-free, non-carbonated juice-type drink, so we always take that on the ship with us.

So I understand people's wanting to take their own water/soda. DH likes a certain sugar-free, non-carbonated juice-type drink, so we always take that on the ship with us.

I like a certain premium brand of vodka made in Holland, but the ships do not carry it. :( I can't take it on board.

Archived