Skagway - Carcross trip vs. seeing city

zookeeper

My husband and I are leaning toward doing the White Pass Railroad trip that goes all the way to Carcross. If we do this, that will take up ALL of our time in Skagway. What will we miss in "town" --other than shopping, which I don't care about anyway? Either way, we will do the Railroad to the Summit, just trying to decide if missing the city itself won't be so bad! We really do enjoy scenery much more than buildings. Anyone who's been to Skagway with any advice?

Hi Zookeeper

When were were in Skagway the last time we did the Jeep excursion. Because the area was frozen over, we couldn't go off road. So they took us way up into the Yukon and Carcross was one of the places we stopped. To be honest, there isn't much there. But the scenery on the way up and the way back was FABULOUS!!! You just can't imagine it until you see it.

One of the people on our trip did the trip you are talking about. It was the long train with the bus tour and she LOVED it.

We really didn't do that much in town, so I can't give you an opinion on what the town is like. We basically just drove through. Didn't walk around at all. But I can speak from experience about seeing the area outside town.

Personally, if I had to choose - I would go for the scenery. It is something you will NEVER forget.

Good luck - I hope you find the experience you are looking for!

Thanks for your replies. I guess I should mention that we won't be in Skagway until September 24--very last cruise on Vision of the Seas into Alaska for the year. I'm thinking that many on the stores will be limited on souvineers anyway and I don't need anymore dust catchers especially since my husband wants live on a sailboat after we retire!

Skagway is a tiny town, and there seemed to be very few shops off the main drag. While the town has a neat look (best enjoyed if you depart the ship and wander around ahead of the crowds), I don't think there's anything you'd miss too much by bypassing the town.

We drove a rental car past Carcross. I know that much of the scenery from the road is different from what the train takes you past, but I'd bet anything that they share the same "wow" factor. It was just lovely. I think you'd be satisfied with the decision to skip the town in exchange for a longer scenic ride, especially since you're not interested in shopping.

I considered booking one of the longer rail/bus excursions to the Yukon, but I also wanted to spend time in Skagway. Since this will be our first trip to Alaska, we'll spend a few morning hours in town at the National Park Service Visitor Center (http://www.nps.gov/archive/klgo/schedule.htm), go on a walking tour of the historic area with a park ranger, and then hopefully catch the 10:30 a.m. "The Days of '98" show. After lunch somewhere (maybe back on ship - who knows) - we'll meet our tour guide at 1:00 for Chilkoot Charters' 3.5-hour bus/rail trip to Fraser, BC and back. (http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/summitrail.htm)

Nancy I haven't see the Days of 98 show but the National park museum is worth a look (probably only need 1/2 hour for this) the ranger led walks around town are very good and will give you lots of colorful stories about the town history. I think the trip up into the Yukon is one of my favorite excurisons anywhere.

Nancy I haven't see the Days of 98 show but the National park museum is worth a look (probably only need 1/2 hour for this) the ranger led walks around town are very good and will give you lots of colorful stories about the town history. I think the trip up into the Yukon is one of my favorite excurisons anywhere.

Thanks for the tip about the museum, Doug. For our next visit to Skagway, we'll go to the Yukon.

Sure, go to Carcross, but rent a car and drive it yourself. You'll have plenty of time for the trip and for the town afterwards.

Skagway: Rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey). There was almost no traffic at all. We saw but one bus, a truck, and maybe 2 dozen cars the entire trip. We saw bears, caribou, mountain goats and bald eagles. We saw snow capped mountains and crystal clear lakes, numerous water falls, sweeping valley and mountain views, raging rivers, the White Mountain Pass Train. The kids through snowballs. We got back into town about 2pm and shopped. Many interesting stores. The place was packed with 4 ships in port. Enjoyed an Alaska Amber Ale at the Red Onion Saloon and were driven back to the ship by the folks at Avis. Between 8pm and 10pm that night we saw numerous Humpback whales, including tail slaps, and a breach within 50 yards of the ship.

Complete Alaska review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

Sure, go to Carcross, but rent a car and drive it yourself. You'll have plenty of time for the trip and for the town afterwards.

Skagway: Rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey).

Carcross is basically nothing -- but just past it is Caribou Crossing, and that is a very interesting place. There is a great wildlife museum, and we loved the dog musher's camp! You can also drive just a bit further to Emerald Lake which is very beautiful.

Check out our review and pics at

Alaska on Zuiderdam

have a GREAT cruise!

Carcross is basically nothing -- but just past it is Caribou Crossing, and that is a very interesting place. There is a great wildlife museum, and we loved the dog musher's camp! You can also drive just a bit further to Emerald Lake which is very beautiful.

Alaska on Zuiderdam

have a GREAT cruise!

With the new Skagway/Carcross train, Carcross is gearing up with things to do, Yukon, can give us a update on what's going on as the season gets closer, (right Yukon) I hope?

Stacym

Thanks for the info about the little there is to do in Skagway. Maybe it will help to convince those of our group who aren't sure about taking the long train/bus tour that they won't be missing too much in town.

Actually, it's what you make of it. There is plenty to see in town, IF you make an effort. I like walking the streets, if you go over a block, a unique look at residential life. I like walking Alaska St., all along the airport, beautiful views of landing and taking off. Can get a look at the school. Along Spring- a close up view of the White Pass RR coming and going. If salmon running, can hear them hitting the culverts. :) Don't be afraid to do something different, if of interest.

I had always wanted to go to the Yukon, so we started by looking at the trips that went there. We looked at the available options, and we chose the bus tour (rather than the train) because it is quite a bit less expensive, and it goes up to Emerald Lake (which is supposed to be beautiful). We also opted for the Chilkoot tour rather than the Celebrity one because we prefer a smaller group, it goes to Emerald Lake, and we're back in town an hour earlier to do other things (6 hours vs 7); our stops are just as long, in the same places - plus they add Emerald Lake. It's just easier for them to manouever 23 people rather than 64 in a big bus.

I'm glad to hear that the Chilkoot trip is a good one!

We're on the Celebrity Summit, June 1, 2007, departure from Seward

So is the train ride better or the car ride better? Car is definitely cheaper but are we missing a great train ride ?

I think the White Pass train ride is spectacular and no comparism to the Klondike Highway. In the past, has been rated number one by the Railroad Historical Society in the US. A must do for any rail fan. :)

Alaska on Zuiderdam

have a GREAT cruise!

I love the shot of your Aunt Ruth looking over the balcony railing at the water. It says so much. All that wisdom but she has kept that youthful sense of wonder and adventure. Under all those years beats a heart of kid! Great shot! :)

May the sun-god be good to us all on the days we are doing this excursion!! ;)

Be sure to post about it the MINUTE you return! On second thought - I'm leaving the day after your cruise ends.

After thinking more about this thread, I called Chilkoot Charters yesterday to see if there was any availability for either the Carcross or Yukon rail/bus excursion - and I could've switched to either one. After the gentleman who answered the phone talked more about the distinctives of the train to Carcross - I was sold! The National Park Service Visitor Center is open until 6 - so we can still see the movie and the museum after the excursion ends at 4 or 4:30. We will get back too late for the Park Ranger walk - but we'll pick up a map and do our own walking tour.

After thinking more about this thread, I called Chilkoot Charters yesterday to see if there was any availability for either the Carcross or Yukon rail/bus excursion...

Totally off topic, but I've had just about as much fun reading your plans, watching them change, then change again, and again! and again!!... as I have planning my own Alaska trips. I really hope you have a most fabulous time!:)

Totally off topic, but I've had just about as much fun reading your plans, watching them change, then change again, and again! and again!!... as I have planning my own Alaska trips. I really hope you have a most fabulous time!:)

Thanks for your good wishes. I have done a bit of tweaking, haven't I! ;) I'm trying to think of something that hasn't changed. Hmmmmm...oh yeah - our travel dates haven't changed! :D

Nancy, what were the "distinctives of the train to Carcross". I'm thinking seriously of switching to their Yukon bus & rail rather than our current Summit trip - but would be interested to know why you chose the one two hours longer. (A 9 hour excursion still seems AWFULLY long in my mind :eek: )

Archived