John Maxtone Graham?

Germancruiser

Hi

does anyone know if or when John Maxtone Graham will be on which ship?? He was excellent when were on board Constellation a few years ago.

Interessting also to watch and listen to constand running films in the Foyers of the Millenium Class Specialty Restaurants.

Thank you

Michael

Hi Cruiser,

Maxtone-Graham was aboard the Summit on our Mar 3 to Mar 17 Hawaiian cruise. I had attended his lectures on the Constellation's westbound trans Atlantic cruise a couple of years ago, but found his Ocean Liners lecture just as interesting the second time. He has really acquired a following, as the theater was nearly filled for each of the four or five hours he had scheduled. Even his reading of the telephone directory was very well recieved.

Celebrity seems to be putting more emphasis on the enrichment programs on their 14 day cruises, but I have found no way to find out who the guest lectures are prior to sailing. I have enjoyed a number of the speakers I have seen on Celebrity, and would be very interested in the scheduled speakers when planning a cruise with Celebrity.

Petert

Hi Petert,

I cross fingersthat he will be on our Hawaii Cruise at April 22nd as well. We must have heard him the same year on the Connstellation. It was on the Inauguartion of the Constellation, just before she went westbound TA.

I am also very interessted in knowing prior cruising which lecturer I can expect. For me as shipbuff JMG simply was the most interessting- besides I could listen to him for hours without getting bored.

Greetings

Michael

He's fantastic, isn't he? He was on our Panama Canal cruise in February, and spoke about the history of the Canal as well as the ocean liners lectures. He said he was going to be on Summit to Hawaii, but I'm not sure how many of those he was doing.

We were lucky enough to see him on a translatlantic crossing a few years ago, too. I wish my history teachers in school had been able to present their material the way he does. I would have had much better grades!

Lisa

I wasn't aware that he did speaking engagements on Celebrity ships. Is that only in US waters?

I've never heard him speak but I have one of his books, 'Liners to the Sun'. It's an interesting & enjoyable read.

Tom:

You should also read "The Only Way to Cross" by Maxtone-Graham . Excellent information on the old ocean liners. It has a section on the S/S France, which later became the S/S Norway, one of my favorite ships of all time. The Norway used to have a documentary that they played on the stateroom televisions based on his book. I'm pretty sure that Maxtone-Graham narrated it. I always really enjoyed watching it.

Getty

We were on the same cruise as PeterT; my understanding is that he will be disembarking Summit on April 14. Not sure where he'll turn up after that.

It's a shame that the large cruise lines don't publicize the schedules of the popular enrichment lecturers such as Maxtone-Graham. These lectures really enhanced the overall experience. My guess is that cruises would fill more quickly if people knew in advance that certain entertainers and/or lecturers were going to be on board. (Of course, it's one more thing for pax to complain about if a speaker's plans have to change for health or other reasons:rolleyes: ).

We were fortunate to be on a TA crossing on Norway(France) when JMG was on board with his wife and did a comprehensive series of three enrichment lectures replete with multiple slides. It was the first time Norway had been back to France(leHavre) since leaving there as France. We spent 3days in leHavre during which the brought busloads of workers and their families up from StNazairre who had worked on building France. Also on board and lecturing was the Danish naval architect who had designed the additional decks and huge tenders which were necessary to transform the liner to a cruise ship.:)

On Cunard they do have listings available in advance as to the entire enrichment program..maybe if it grows on Celeb they will do the same--I still can't even get the entertainment list--which is easy to get from Royal Carib.

John Maxtone-Graham also sometimes lectures on Princess ships.

He was aboard our trip, San Francisco to Sydney, last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, 9-00.

Excellent lecturer, and both he and his wife are very approachable/friendly.

Almagetty, Getting there was only half the fun. We did the TA round trip from Miami to NYC, Halifax, Newfoundland, Cobh, S'hampton then the 3 days in leHarve. While there we rented a car and did day trips in to Normandy and Brittany and were able to park on the pier every night. Then back to S'hampton, NYC and Miami, a total of 32 days. On the return 1/2 the passengers were French going to Canada on vacation; they carried their own entertainment, had their own dining room with later hours and did not mix with the hoi poloi. Great trip on a great lady who now sits on the sand off the coast of India waiting for the scrappers.What an ignominious end!:)

LeoandHugh:

Sounds like a fabulous time! My daughters and I will be visiting Paris, Normandy's D-Day beaches and Mont St. Michel after our Galaxy cruise this summer. I can't wait! We've never been.

Just the thought of the Norway on the beach in India makes my stomach turn. What a horrible end to a truly spectacular ship. I wish something could have been done to save her! :(

tom_uk,

I wasn't aware that he did speaking engagements on Celebrity ships. Is that only in US waters?

No, but he is only on cruises that have a lot of days at sea. He was aboard both of my transatlantic cruises (aboard GTS Millennium in November 2004 and aboard MV Galaxy in October 2005).

Norm.

LeoandHugh:

Sounds like a fabulous time! My daughters and I will be visiting Paris, Normandy's D-Day beaches and Mont St. Michel after our Galaxy cruise this summer. I can't wait! We've never been.

Just the thought of the Norway on the beach in India makes my stomach turn. What a horrible end to a truly spectacular ship. I wish something could have been done to save her! :(

We were on the Norway only once. We were just getting ready to rebook her when the horrible explosion happened. I do so wish they had taken the $$$ and effort to restore her. She always sailed full. What a beautiful ship! (Though I have to say the beauty of the ship was the only thing she had going for her.)

HI

sadly they didn´t even save the interior of the Norway. Nothing- as far as I know, Should be a theme for the Speciality Restaurant of the new Solstice- the Norway ( or France--) Restaurant. As I never sailed on her- I have just picture to look at to see how she was inside.

I cross fingers ( but dout it anway) that JMG will join the Infnity for Hawaii. When he leaves Summit on the 14 th I dout he will back on board Infinity a week later- but again I cross fingers...

Greetings

Michael

JM-G will be aboard Constellation's September 1 Scandanavia / Russia cruise as a part of a group tour which offers some exclusive talks and meetings with him. As we did not book through this group we hope that he will also be providing some lectures to the rest of us as a part of Celebrity's enrichment program.

IMO, he will probably stay aboard for Connie's September 15 TA and, if so, his "The Only Way To Cross" lectures are not to be missed!

If he is aboard, and you are on that TA, be sure to get up extra early on the last day to go out on deck and listen to his "Live from the Bridge" commentary as you approach the Statue of Liberty. Even though it was pitch black and foggy last year, the eloquence of his delivery created such a comprehensive picture that we all felt that we could actually see it as we turned in to Port Liberty.

I've enjoyed reading these notes about both John Maxtone-Graham and his "dear wife Mary." During our Aug '99 crossing on the Norway, we first heard his presentations and we didn't miss a one. Particularly moving was a tribute at the site of the sinking of the Titanic. A wreath was placed on the sea, a hymn sung and the ship's bell struck.

A year later we were on the Norwegian Dream with the Maxtone-Grahams crossing from Barcelona to San Juan. Again, we didn't miss a single presentation.

Run. Don't walk to book any cruise he'll be lecturing on. You won't be disappointed.

JM-G will be aboard Constellation's September 1 Scandanavia / Russia cruise as a part of a group tour which offers some exclusive talks and meetings with him. As we did not book through this group we hope that he will also be providing some lectures to the rest of us as a part of Celebrity's enrichment program.

IMO, he will probably stay aboard for Connie's September 15 TA and, if so, his "The Only Way To Cross" lectures are not to be missed!

If he is aboard, and you are on that TA, be sure to get up extra early on the last day to go out on deck and listen to his "Live from the Bridge" commentary as you approach the Statue of Liberty. Even though it was pitch black and foggy last year, the eloquence of his delivery created such a comprehensive picture that we all felt that we could actually see it as we turned in to Port Liberty.

We are on the 9/15 TA, and really would love to hear him lecture.

On the 4/06 TA-Constellation, we heard David Perry give a 3 day lecture. He was excellent. He spoke on the Myths and Facts of Oceanliners.

Karyn

We're delighted to hear that John Maxtone-Graham might be aboard the Connie on the September 15 transatlantic crossing. We will be aboard!

He was on board the QE2 for her winter crossing last year, and gave a lecture almost every morning. The theatre was full for each of them. And he also gave a live commentary from the bridge as we entered New York Harbor at five in the morning!

We've also attended some of his lectures in New York and in Hoboken. Next month he'll be giving a talk at the Port of New York branch of the World Ship Society on the topic of the Panama Canal; we'll be there too.

He and Bill Miller are the two great ocean liner historians of our day. Two very different styles, but both are wonderful raconteurs and writers. (I never had the pleasure of hearing Frank Braynard, but his books are superb.)

As far as I'm aware, Celebrity doesn't announce it's guest speakers on its website. Cunard does. Attention Celebrity executives: You really should!--it's a definite draw.

We had the good fortune of being on the Summit for the Feb 3 eastbound Panama Canal cruise while John Maxtone-Graham was onboard as a lecturer. Truly one of the highlights of our cruise.

He indicated that he would be going home in April, but I can't remember when in April. He said that he and his wife travel about six months out of the year. BTW, his new book on the Normandy is due out later this year.

Susan

Never had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Maxtone-Graham but we did have the pleasure of meeting Bill Miller on a Connie transatlantic. He's very personable and gracious, and his lectures were always packed. Celebrity's Enrichment Program is a plus and the cruise line should really talk it up a lot more than it does. Besides Maxtone-Graham and Miller, what other X lecturers have you enjoyed?

I must admit, I am not a history buff at all but I attended his lectures and was soooooo impressed.

If any of you have an opportunity to attend his lectures..run dont walk to the first row. He is phenominal !!

I also found both he and his wife to be very friendly. His lectures added so much to our Panama canal cruise

NADINE

Archived