RCI customers

Hopes4

I agree with the four digit number thing. I will be cruising with my dd and mil next month. The three of us do not have any type of identical card, so the person with the card would have to be in the cabin,or we would have to go looking for that person whenever we need something out of the safe.

Here, at our local Walgreen's Pharmacies, after they total your purchases you swipe your card, punch credit, total appears and asks correct?, you then push yes and if the total is less than $20.00, it prints a receit with no signature required. They don't even touch the card.

Gregg

Home Depot does the same. It doesn't give you any sense of security.

RULE #1 ON YOUR CREDIT CARD/DEBIT - FOR EVERYONE!

DO NOT SIGN THE BACK - instead write on the signature line - Ask for ID.

90% of the time, people automatically flip the card over when you buy something at a store. I can guarantee you that if someone steals your card, they will ditch it. It's too risky.

Any credit card company will tell you this. And I'm really surprised that they just don't do away with the signature line & replace it with the Ask for ID instead. Stupid, stupid, stupid. They could avoid so much hassles.

I've been writing "Ask for ID" for several years now. On numerous occassions, the clerk actually asked me, "Who's Id?" to which I respond, "That's my dog / cat / pet monkey, etc." Always gets a nice chuckle.

But in my experience, I'd say about 2/3rd of the time will they even bother to flip the card and verify anything - let alone ask for your ID, so it still leaves you pretty vulnerable.

In this case, I suspect the OP called their CC company and told them about the vacation, so the charges didn't bring up any flags.

Hope everything works out ok.

After I learned about this, I wrote "Ask for ID" on the back of my credit card.

NO ONE has ever asked me for my ID when I am using the card.

I have given the card to my daughter to use, and no one has ever questioned her use of the card. She signs HER name, not mine.

I have given the card to my SON to use, and no one has ever questioned his use of the card.

Fraud occurs to a great extent because the workers in stores are CLUELESS about their part in preventing it. :mad:

I agree with the four digit number thing. I will be cruising with my dd and mil next month. The three of us do not have any type of identical card, so the person with the card would have to be in the cabin,or we would have to go looking for that person whenever we need something out of the safe.
I don't WANT my kids going in the safe when I'm not there! :rolleyes: ;) :)

I was on the same cruise as the OP.(Hi Luci)

I hope this gets taken care of for you and I do hope you and DH had a good cruise regardless. Hope you got home okay too with the snow and all.

Please keep up posted on what happens. You can email me through the link in the bottom of my signature too.

As an aside, we tried using a card other than credit to use our safe and only our Visa would work. So we had to keep it out of the safe the whole time. I really wish all the safes had the keypads.

After I learned about this, I wrote "Ask for ID" on the back of my credit card.

NO ONE has ever asked me for my ID when I am using the card.

I have given the card to my daughter to use, and no one has ever questioned her use of the card. She signs HER name, not mine.

I have given the card to my SON to use, and no one has ever questioned his use of the card.

Fraud occurs to a great extent because the workers in stores are CLUELESS about their part in preventing it. :mad:

This is so true! I give my card to the kids all the time and in the last 4 years, I have only had one call to confirm that my child was using the card. It is the retailers problem if they take a fraudulent card. They are the ones that will be out the money if the card was stolen, because the card owner will be covered.

We love the 4 digit safes. I use the same code as our house alarm, so it is easy to remember!

I'm just a little offended by this remark since I work in retail. You almost make it sound like people who work in retail are just idiots and that is definitely not the case. We work harder than most people in this country and we don't get paid very much to deal with customers who can often be condescending and rude to us just because we work behind a counter.

I check signatures ALWAYS and have been sworn at, had my job threatened, and a plethora of other abuse by customers who demand their way even though I am simply enforcing policy. I submit the following examples:

1. Angry mom calls my boss because I refused to allow her daughter to use a credit card that didn't have her name on it. She said that since she had sent along a "note" granting permission, that was more than sufficient.

2. Elderly gentlemen follows me out the door after my shift to cuss me out because his card wasn't signed and he had no ID to verify and therefore I wouldn't authorize the purchase. Seriously, what sort of moron goes out in public without any form of ID??

3. Self-righteous Soccer Dad tries to use wife's CC (with ask for ID on the back). Didn't accept it since the name on his ID didn't match the name on the CC, Soccer Dad proceeds to throw his items at me and storms off.

Seriously folks, ease up on those of us who work behind counters. We aren't getting paid very much money to put up with your temper tantrums. And oh yeah, get off your bleepin' cell phone when you deal with a store clerk... do you have any idea how easy it would be to scam you because you are so busy discussing your latest PAP smear with Susie Homemaker while I am trying to complete your transaction??

Most fraudulent charges occur within 24 hours of the card being lost or stolen... usually, before you even realize the card is missing or that the numbers have been stolen.

Most fraud occurs with online purchases... so there's no clerk to blame there.

Question for those of you who send your cc with your children and they sign their own name and not the name on the cc:

What exactly do you expect me to do? Sounds like a no-win situation for the clerk.

Actually any credit card company will tell you that unless you sign the back of your card, it is not valid. It even says so on the back of the card. The merchant does not have to accept your card if it is not signed. Now of course since hardly any merchants check for signatures anymore, it's a moot point, but don't be surprised when you get a merchant refusing your purchase because your card is not signed.

OP, I hope everything gets worked out for you in a timely fashion.

The USPS is one of those merchants who will refuse an unsigned card...

LL

I have my SeaPass card from our Radiance cruise and our cabin number does NOT appear anywhere on the card.

Well, ours did. The only thing missing was the first digit, which is the Deck Number. I actually don't think that's particularly good security. Helpful in finding your cabin though:D :D

Fraud occurs to a great extent because the workers in stores are CLUELESS about their part in preventing it.

I'm just a little offended by this remark since I work in retail. You almost make it sound like people who work in retail are just idiots and that is definitely not the case. We work harder than most people in this country and we don't get paid very much to deal with customers who can often be condescending and rude to us just because we work behind a counter.

I check signatures ALWAYS and have been sworn at, had my job threatened, and a plethora of other abuse by customers who demand their way even though I am simply enforcing policy. I submit the following examples:

1. Angry mom calls my boss because I refused to allow her daughter to use a credit card that didn't have her name on it. She said that since she had sent along a "note" granting permission, that was more than sufficient.

2. Elderly gentlemen follows me out the door after my shift to cuss me out because his card wasn't signed and he had no ID to verify and therefore I wouldn't authorize the purchase. Seriously, what sort of moron goes out in public without any form of ID??

3. Self-righteous Soccer Dad tries to use wife's CC (with ask for ID on the back). Didn't accept it since the name on his ID didn't match the name on the CC, Soccer Dad proceeds to throw his items at me and storms off.

Seriously folks, ease up on those of us who work behind counters. We aren't getting paid very much money to put up with your temper tantrums. And oh yeah, get off your bleepin' cell phone when you deal with a store clerk... do you have any idea how easy it would be to scam you because you are so busy discussing your latest PAP smear with Susie Homemaker while I am trying to complete your transaction??

Most fraudulent charges occur within 24 hours of the card being lost or stolen... usually, before you even realize the card is missing or that the numbers have been stolen.

Most fraud occurs with online purchases... so there's no clerk to blame there.

Question for those of you who send your cc with your children and they sign their own name and not the name on the cc:

What exactly do you expect me to do? Sounds like a no-win situation for the clerk.

Wow! Amybear, calm down. You are way over-reacting to my post.

Think about what I wrote. I said that CLUELESS workers don't check signatures. You are obviously NOT a *clueless* worker.

I am sorry that you have had to deal with difficult customers when you prove that you are NOT clueless and ARE doing your part to prevent credit card fraud.

None of this changes the fact that the vast majority of workers who process credit cards do NOT check or verify the identity of the person presenting the cc.

I am happy to know that some DO check I.D. I just wish that I had encountered one of them.

I apologize in advance but I just HAVE to vent (and warn others.) ... The morning our cruise ended, we realised we could not find hubby's credit card. We remember using it to open the safe the night before our last at sea day so it was 100% lost (and found) on the ship.....

So why are you warning "RCI customers"?? RCI didn't do anything wrong. Sorry, but your hubby was at fault for losing his card. That's a bummer -- I'm sorry for all the trouble it caused you. Warning people to hold on to their credit cards is a great idea. But why "RCI customers"? RCI was not at fault in any way, were they?

So much for florida being filled with sweet old grannys..............

I found it funny that no one has touched on this comment. As a native S. Floridian - Dade county in fact - I NEVER thought the rest of the country had this impression of us.

I thought we were known for drive by shootings, home invasion robberies, and bank robberies. After all, the biggest FBI shoot out in history was here and has a huge display all about it in the FBI building in Washington D.C. http://miami.fbi.gov/pressrel/2006/mm040706a.htm

I am always on guard but none the less have been personally burglarized, mugged, car vandalized on multiple occasions, car stolen and stripped (no, no, not me, the car :D). I've also witnessed others being mugged. And I've been asked for ID in the past month at Best Buy and at my bank where I've been banking for too many years to remember. Normally I just pay with cash so I don't know the current trend. I DO have to put in my billing address zip code at most gas pumps before the pump will turn on.

Just remember. All the crooks don't live in Miami. Some of them drive to the cruise port, take your card, buy their stuff and drive back across the state line. And they are on all cruise lines so stay aware.

Ok, I am not American, but we come over two or three times a year (we have family in California, ski in Colorado and generally take a Summer holiday in Florida or California...).

I have notticed that a LOT of shops (for example clothes shops) don't even LOOK at the signature strip when they take payment - infact many hand your card back (without looking at the strip) before you have signed the receipt...

In the UK, most credit cards have moved to a "chip and pin system" - at MANY retailers you don't sign for things any more, you put your 4 digit pin into a keypad (like you are using an atm). Although that is probably open to other types of fraud... We also still have the signature strip on the back of our cards for retailers that don't have "chip and pin" terminals (and for going abroad to countries, like the US, that don't support the technology)...

Maybe the US will move towards that too...

Boo

Boo, my daughter is studying in Southampton for the semester, and your system is causing her all kinds of problems! She is finding that merchants will NOT accept her credit cards because they don't have the chip in them! They are simply refusing to do business with her! :eek:

We lost our digital camera on the Mariner last October. Forgot to pick it up in Studio B after the 9pm ice show. Realised within 5 to 10 minutes, RUSHED back to the studio, but the doors were already closed for the night. Went to the Pursor's desk and reported it (they have a book for reported lost property) - they said it would probably get handed in or picked up by the cleaners. It never did - we asked at the Pursor's desk MANY times and even the Concierge looked into it for us (they did an extra search of the studio)... NOTHING.

The odd thing was that we were on the bottom row, last aisle from the end of the room - no more than a dozen passengers would have walked past where we were sitting on the way out of the studio after us. So it was either one of those dozen passengers OR a cleaning crew member who took it (RCCL were adamant that it ouldn't be crew - lots of cameras, searches etc).

So it only takes a few minutes (actually a lot less) and someone will probably take the opportunity. It is a very sad world - noth everyone is as honest as you and me :(

Boo

Studio B must be the place to leave things. On the Freedom, last year, I left my Motorola Talk-About in Studio B, after the Ice Show. Because they lock the doors between shows, I waited and was the first in, when the doors opened again. Nothing! :(

Honestly, what's someone going to do w/ only 1 Talk-About? I can tell you (since that's how many I had, at that point) ... Nothing!!!

I hope they catch the credit card thief! Maybe they have my walkie-talkie and your camera, Boo! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know people like you who take the time to return lost items sleep much better than those who choose to steal things.

Here is some potentially good news. The list of potential thieves is only 2000 or so people instead of 30,000 or more. I hope best buy can match up photos from store cameras with a list from the ship. I would think that they can really narrow it down.

I have to say, I have read a lot on here about people saying not to sign your credit card. WRONG!!!

A couple of things to point out. Your card AND your contract states the card is not valid unless signed. And yes, it can be denied for that reason alone. I have done so.

Second, I have also had people hand me cards that were written with see ID. No problem. With today's technology, people hop on computers, make IDs to match the name of the card they stole with their picture. A thief that makes a living off this activity will get past that see ID thing in a heart beat.

Having worked retail and dealt with enough crooks and wannabe crooks, the best thing you can really do is sign the card AND write See ID next to it.

But another thought, there are hordes of stores you go into and swipe your own credit card, so no one ever actually sees it.

Studio B must be the place to leave things. On the Freedom, last year, I left my Motorola Talk-About in Studio B, after the Ice Show. Because they lock the doors between shows, I waited and was the first in, when the doors opened again. Nothing! :(

Honestly, what's someone going to do w/ only 1 Talk-About? I can tell you (since that's how many I had, at that point) ... Nothing!!!

Talk to yourself? Isn't that what we all do at this stage in life anyway, Lorna? :D

One thing I am uncomfortable about is when you buy a drink & they actually take your card away & then return it..not sure why this is done but aftre reading this thread, I have decided not to let anyone actually take the card out of sight. Always fear they won't come back or mischief is afoot!

If your card has see id on it- the merchant is suppose to make you sign in - the name on the front of the card does NOT need to match the signature on the back- I know my FI is an authorized user on a few of my things- but since he is not a joint account holder his name is NOT on the card they issue.

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/rules_for_visa_merchants.pdf - see page 28

OMG, I am wiping the tears from my eyes, I am laughing so hard!

How did you happen to find this, meg?

HEE! Oh, lord its been years.... someone posted on a message board somewhere -- I've never forgotten it, and every once in awhile I almost get the courage to write on a receipt "I Stole This Card!" .... just can't do it--too chicken :p

Archived