Taking food off the ship?

HappyCruiser383

Forgive me if this is a repeat . . I couldn't find anything on it.

When we go into ports, is it ok to take things such as a couple of cookies or brownies with us? What about filling our bottles with iced tea?

Just an FYI - I'm hypoglycemic and must keep sugar with me at all times. I really do get dizzy if I don't keep up my sugar. He just likes to eat non-stop. I've got the medical reason . . he has the mental reason. :rolleyes:

No need to bash or start a fight here. Some people will actually get back on the ship for a free lunch (which is ok) so I figure that taking a couple of cookies to-go wouldn't be a terrible sin no matter what the reason. :confused:

Stuff like you suggest would probably be okay, but each country has its own rules. Most prohibit fresh fruit, vegetables, and such, and some are more restrictive. You can take pre-packaged food and water without any problems. There are nutrition bars for diabetics/hypoglycemics that would not be restricted, you might look into those.

Cookies in Mexico are fine. Just make sure it's nothing fresh or raw like fruits and veggies. I would also put them in a plastic bag in your purse or whatever so they aren't just sitting there waiting for somebody to see them and even wonder if there is any doubt.

Thanks Spongerbob . . Seems to me that cookies wouldn't be restricted in Mexico so I should be ok there. I was mainly asking about ship etiquette. :confused:

Ettiquette Shmettiquette- When it comes to your health, you got to do what you got to do;) .

PS- I dont think it would be an issue.

HappyCruiser383,

My husband and I are scuba divers and we try to dive in almost every port. We usually have to spend an hour bobbing around the ocean in a small boat during our surface intervals between dives. Sometimes the dive operators offer a snack but sometimes not so we have started bringing a small box of packaged cereal with us from the ship. A sugary cereal might be a good choice for you and since they are a packaged food you won't be breaking any rules.

Debbie

Ettiquette Shmettiquette- When it comes to your health, you got to do what you got to do;) .

PS- I dont think it would be an issue.

I don't want my healthy self getting beat up by the ettiquiette police as I go to step off the ship!! :eek:

:D

barbarah33 - I can see the headlines now "Passenger caught with concealed cookie . . news at 11".

Would you be wearing jeans while violating the laws of cookie etiquette? If so, you probably should not take the cookies from the dining room or that may ruin someone's vacation. :D

LMAO That's hysterical! I'll never steal another cookie again without thinking about this!

Forgive me if this is a repeat . . I couldn't find anything on it.

When we go into ports, is it ok to take things such as a couple of cookies or brownies with us? What about filling our bottles with iced tea?

Just an FYI - I'm hypoglycemic and must keep sugar with me at all times. I really do get dizzy if I don't keep up my sugar. He just likes to eat non-stop. I've got the medical reason . . he has the mental reason. :rolleyes:

No need to bash or start a fight here. Some people will actually get back on the ship for a free lunch (which is ok) so I figure that taking a couple of cookies to-go wouldn't be a terrible sin no matter what the reason. :confused:

It really depends on the ports. Most of the Eastern Caribbean ports are less strict than Western ones. Here is some info that may help you decide. Sometimes the cruise line will print in the newsletter of the day, no food off the ship...other times I've not seen it.

http://www.ed-hamilton.com/A/BB/1.import.html

I have to watch blood sugar too. I carry a tiny box of orange JuicyJuice and a little individual packet of the Granola Bites from Quaker. I put them in a plastic baggie in my purse. I wasn't given grief about this going on shore nor even in the airport security line. (I had my glucose meter with me at all times.) I also carry regular LifeSavers (the individually wrapped ones); four of them equal those glucose tablets you can get in the drug store.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Spongerbob . . Seems to me that cookies wouldn't be restricted in Mexico so I should be ok there. I was mainly asking about ship etiquette. :confused:

Hahaha, actually, I think most of the etiquette police wouldn't mind you taking a couple cookies off the ship. It's easily hidden in a purse or backpack. Same goes for ice tea into a water bottle.

With jeans, you're offending out in the open constantly (or at least until you get out of the dining room).

With jeans, you're offending out in the open constantly (or at least until you get out of the dining room).

HUH? It takes people approximately 45 seconds to walk to their table to sit down and 45 seconds to walk from their table to the door to leave. The entire meal takes about an hour and a half - two hours (we'll say 1 1/2 hours so as to not make the jeans police seem even MORE foolish). Out of the 90 minutes spent in the dining room, 88.5 minutes are spent with a person's legs under the table and 1.5 minutes are spent "in the open constantly". (I'll even do the math for you, that is 59 times the amount of time spent sitting down than in the "open constantly") (It's 80 times the amount of time sitting down if the meal takes 2 hours, just for the record)

Do the jeans police now use that 88.5 minutes to crawl under each table to see what people are wearing, as I would see that as a bit rude myself, but, to each their own. If they want to get their tux pants dirty crawling on the floor looking to see if people are wearing clean jeans, then the issues run much deeper than first supposed.

I haven't been on my first cruise yet, but I am getting the impression that jeans are a no-no? My kid buys 70.00 dollar jeans, and I have seen yet even higher price tags for designer denim jeans, they cost more than alot of "dress" clothes.
You could pay $500/pair and they still would not be appropriate in the dining room for dinner. Yes, there are people who wear them and get away with it but that doesn't make it appropriate.

Depending on the country, bringing unpackaged food into the country can be a violation of the country's laws and could be confiscated. Your best bet is to buy packaged crackers, candy or cookies in the ship's store if the Patter has a warning about bringing food ashore. Packaged is OK pretty much anywhere; unpackaged could be confiscated.

Depending on the country, bringing unpackaged food into the country can be a violation of the country's laws and could be confiscated. Your best bet is to buy packaged crackers, candy or cookies in the ship's store if the Patter has a warning about bringing food ashore. Packaged is OK pretty much anywhere; unpackaged could be confiscated.

When DH and I were on the Dawn 1/25-2/5 this year, any foods that weren't in "original wrappers" were confiscated as we disembarked the ship. This included fresh fruits as well as items in Ziploc bags (cookies, tortilla chips, etc.). We didn't disembark at Ixtapa or Mazatlan so I can't speak to those ports specifically but foods that were not in "original wrappers" could not be taken off the ship in PV, Acapulco, or Cabo.

Chris

HUH? It takes people approximately 45 seconds to walk to their table to sit down and 45 seconds to walk from their table to the door to leave. The entire meal takes about an hour and a half - two hours (we'll say 1 1/2 hours so as to not make the jeans police seem even MORE foolish). Out of the 90 minutes spent in the dining room, 88.5 minutes are spent with a person's legs under the table and 1.5 minutes are spent "in the open constantly". (I'll even do the math for you, that is 59 times the amount of time spent sitting down than in the "open constantly") (It's 80 times the amount of time sitting down if the meal takes 2 hours, just for the record)

Do the jeans police now use that 88.5 minutes to crawl under each table to see what people are wearing, as I would see that as a bit rude myself, but, to each their own. If they want to get their tux pants dirty crawling on the floor looking to see if people are wearing clean jeans, then the issues run much deeper than first supposed.

Yes. They've got mining hats and magnifying glasses too. :D

Seriously tho, technically, someone in jeans can be seen the entire meal, depending on where they and other people are seated. The dress code is actually supposed to extend for the rest of the night (such as shohws, etc). However, the real issue is them being rude in ruining the ambiance for everyone who has followed the rules and dressed up to make this a fancier affair. Whether they can be seen for 1 second or several hours, their presence in casual clothes ruins the atmosphere for anyone who sees them for any length at all.

Yes, some people are bothered by it more than others. It's wrong (ie against the rules), so it doesn't matter whether the people who are bothered are "uptight" or not.

I like extreme examples to make a point, so we'll use the example of someone walking up to your mother and shooting her in the head in front of you. Naturally, I imagine it'd bother you a good amount. However, maybe the serial killer standing nearby isn't bothered at all and actually thinks it's funny. Doesn't matter if not everyone is bothered by the murder of your mother. Still is wrong. For jeans, we're just dealing with manners and feelings rather than someone's life, but you probably get my point.

Does this refer to the Jean Skirt that someone had asked earlier? / Sultan

Yes. They've got mining hats and magnifying glasses too. :D

Seriously tho, technically, someone in jeans can be seen the entire meal, depending on where they and other people are seated. The dress code is actually supposed to extend for the rest of the night (such as shohws, etc). However, the real issue is them being rude in ruining the ambiance for everyone who has followed the rules and dressed up to make this a fancier affair. Whether they can be seen for 1 second or several hours, their presence in casual clothes ruins the atmosphere for anyone who sees them for any length at all.

Yes, some people are bothered by it more than others. It's wrong (ie against the rules), so it doesn't matter whether the people who are bothered are "uptight" or not.

I like extreme examples to make a point, so we'll use the example of someone walking up to your mother and shooting her in the head in front of you. Naturally, I imagine it'd bother you a good amount. However, maybe the serial killer standing nearby isn't bothered at all and actually thinks it's funny. Doesn't matter if not everyone is bothered by the murder of your mother. Still is wrong. For jeans, we're just dealing with manners and feelings rather than someone's life, but you probably get my point.[/quote]

For sale: one brand new triangle. Never used, as I don't often come over to the princess boards.

How about buying some of those pre-packaged snacks before leaving

home, the ones that are crackers with peanut butter or those little

cracker snack packs with Velveeta cheese?

I too have low blood sugar and get nutso :eek: if my blood sugar drops.

I also keep Altoids with me at all times and that seems to help

me too.

On my last cruise (Hawaii), we were told that food was not allowed off the ship. Fortunately, I packed Power Bars and Zone Bars for port days -- and those are ok because they are pre-packaged items. Many ports have laws regarding food because of agricultural concerns, just as there is here in California (the agricultural industry here has had major problems in the past due to insect infestation...with major negative economic impact). So don't be surprised if any food you sneak offboard is confisicated.

On my last cruise (Hawaii)' date=' we were told that food was not allowed off the ship. Fortunately, I packed Power Bars and Zone Bars for port days -- and those are ok because they are pre-packaged items. Many ports have laws regarding food because of agricultural concerns, just as there is here in California (the agricultural industry here has had major problems in the past due to insect infestation...with major negative economic impact). So don't be surprised if any food you sneak offboard is confisicated.[/quote']

They are actually pretty strict about this driving into Cali too (not that it is a bad thing). They didn't check our cooler, but I had remembered that they were really strict on our trip in, so I had gotten rid of everything that wasn't pre packaged ahead of time, just in case.

One of the things I found funny though, did you notice they don't check this until AFTER barstow? LOL...like they don't care what gets brought into cali and ends up in that town (on I-15)

Lol

Archived