Bringing wine on board

taxmantoo

Looking for experiences from both sides of the Atlantic. I know each cruise line has different regulations and even apply their own regulations differently at times.

Has anyone noticed any difference in the acceptance and/or refusal of bringing your own wine on board at European ports VS American/Caribbean ports? Do the cruise lines have a tendency to be a bit more liberal in Europe? Anybody have any specific experiences with NCL?

As far as I know they still allow you to bring wine onbaord but will charge you a corkage fee of $15. whether you drink it in your cabin or in the dining rooms.

check the FAQ on NCL site

You have a 50/50 chance! LOL......Most times and with all the lines we have sailed (NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI), we have been able to walk right on with our bottles, whether they were booze, wine, etc.... We have had one or two bottles taken into storage on Carnival and RCI. We don't mind the corkage but the DH has certain preferences in his wine. Yes, we have found they are much more liberal in Europe.

Celebrity has a two bottles per stateroom maximum on wine. Has to be brought on board at the start of the voyage. $25 corkage it in the dining room, no charge if you uncork it yourself in the privacy of your stateroom.

How many bottles are you bringing? Luck for me with Carnival's new bev policy (1 bottle per person), we have atleast 6 people cruising with us and there are only 2 of us that drink wine. Being a sommelier, I am very picky and haven't seen much on any ship that I care to pay that much for. Being in Europe, you shouldn't have a problem. Remember in Italy and France, they keep their best wines and pick and choose what they export, so you should find some great bottles and good prices over there.

Being a sommelier, I am very picky and haven't seen much on any ship that I care to pay that much for.

I am a sommelier also and can say that looking at it from where I am (Canada), the wine list on NCL seems to have pretty fair prices. The list is quite good in terms of selection also.

Looking for experiences from both sides of the Atlantic. I know each cruise line has different regulations and even apply their own regulations differently at times.

Has anyone noticed any difference in the acceptance and/or refusal of bringing your own wine on board at European ports VS American/Caribbean ports? Do the cruise lines have a tendency to be a bit more liberal in Europe? Anybody have any specific experiences with NCL?

One distinct advantage of P&O is that there are no rules about taking booze on board. Except that you will be charged corkage at the table. In fact P&O will supply your other needs, glasses, lemon ice, etc. If you have a butler he will even pour it for you!!.

However the price of gin vodka and blended whiskies are so low there is no point in carrying the bottles. eg. a bottle of gin is £10.00, about what it is onshore in the UK. Now if you like a good malt, then that might be different.

:):)Happy Cruising:):) Hic Hic Hic Hic

:cool:

Dai

Archived