Excursions as a solo

Thamsey

I never do the cruiseline trips and now I am going to Hawaii and am having problems finding others to do things with. What have others done in the past, any suggestions?? Packing tonight so guess I am going somewhere in 15 days:eek:

Ellie

For one thing mingle early in the cruise. Recall A Statendam crusie when a cople of Canadian gals came over to my table (I shared it with a fellow IT auditor and world traveller who has a fiance) at the end of the cruise because they were bored over at their table. No hookup situation, just was nice to have a full table for more conversation. Auditors can only carry on a conversation so far when they talk, or more to the point can't talk, about black programs.:cool:

Advise you find the other solos on day one with whatever mixer the ship offers - you might find some other gals/guys to do excursions with.

I never do the cruiseline trips and now I am going to Hawaii and am having problems finding others to do things with. What have others done in the past, any suggestions?? Packing tonight so guess I am going somewhere in 15 days:eek:

Ellie

Hello, I sailed solo a few times. My upcoming cruise is three days away (Maasdam 10 day cruise :D !!). I use this website alot for my shore trips.

I just go to the port of call board and read the threads. You will find alot of reasonable cost tour guides. These people know the value of showing you a good time and returning you back to port on time. Also, they take much smaller groups of people than the ship.

When I find one that I like, I e-mail them with an inquiry. I let them know that I'm traveling solo and willing to join with a small group. 99% will tell you no problem. Also, the same goes for meeting people on the ship. I met quite a few people on a cruise a few years back that didn't have no plans. They wanted to do one of the tours with me after I told them what we were going to do. Since we were still in Fort Lauderdale, I called the tour guide on my cell and asked could she added more people. No problem.

My best tour experience was in Costa Maya when I returned to the same place a few months later. They still knew me and called me by name. I was treated like a V.I.P.

Have fun and happy sailing!!

Thanks Diva , but I went on the Hawaii boards looking for tours and there really were not any listed. That would have been my first choice as I usually do alot of research to find good tours to go on. I have joined the roll call and many people are renting cars so I asked if anone would mind an extra to share costs with and no bites. Then a man who has been to Hawaii 3 times and knows it well, came on the board,I think about 3 sets of people asked him to join them and not even pay as he knows the places to go.To be honest I was in shock and it kind of has put me off of this trip.Anyways if I have to do Carnival excersions I will, it certainly will add to the cost and not the way I enjoy day trips. Sorry for venting just feeling a little upset about it all plus it looks like my cabin 7234 on the Spirit is next to a work station.:eek: Maybe I will go hang out with the staff.

Anyways if I have to do Carnival excersions I will, it certainly will add to the cost and not the way I enjoy day trips. Sorry for venting just feeling a little upset about it all plus it looks like my cabin 7234 on the Spirit is next to a work station.:eek: Maybe I will go hang out with the staff.

I couldn't imagine going out on my own to excursions--though I'm sure some do. If I couldn't find anyone to go with, I would definitely do the ship's excursions--in fact that is what I did. I'm sure it did cost a bit more, but I don't regret. I felt completely safe since I was with other people from the ship and a ship-trusted tour guide. Plus on the excursions I went on, there was at least one other solo person there.

I would not hesitate to take the ship's excursions, especially with a limited amount of time before you cruise. If you know the port, take a specialty excursion which is closest to the thing you would like to do most. If it is a new port, take an overview excursion that allows time on your own to shop or whatever.

My best excursion experience so far is the trip from port to Rome. 3 hours were allowed for "on your own" time and I made the most of them by wandering and having a non ship lunch. As I set off, I thought to myself, "I'm now a traveller not a tourist." What a sense of accomplishment.

Enjoy your ports as much as your ship and it will be a great cruise.

I have never had a problem with the ship's excursions. But that

is just my experience. It is a great way to meet other people.:)

Depending on where the cruise is going there are times I do

things on my own too.

Which Carnival cruise are you going on? I have a good friend

sailing to Hawaii next Sunday...are you on the Spirit? He is always

friendly and I bet if you talked to him he would enjoy the company

on an excursion too...he also sails solo:)

things on my own too.

Hey Lois, great advice, as usual. I have also found that there is often enough time to do both: A ship-sponsored excursion and some self-exploration. Most ship excursions leave early in the day, and if it is a two to four hour gig, there is enough time to get back to the ship for lunch. (You know me, cheapie Paul, why pay for lunch when you can get back to the ship and eat!) Anyway, depending on when the ship is leaving port, I often do some "on my own" stuff after lunch. In one port I discovered that the water taxi in the harbor charged one price for the day. So after lunch I just kept riding around the harbor, going from stop to stop and then back again. It was kind of fun because I kept having a captive audience for some "what did you buy?" conversation and a few of my corny jokes. :rolleyes:

Paul

And hopefully one day we can sail together:D

Quote:

"You know me, cheapie Paul, why pay for lunch when you can get back to the ship and eat".....

That is not cheap.....I do that too;)

Now, I have splurged at times and eaten in town (wherever town is

at the time). But I enjoy 1/2 day excursions and actually

when I just cruised on Mercury lunch was included on my excursion

a couple of times:)

But many times I use the same thought process...lunch on the

ship is always good and included in my price...if that makes

me cheap..oh well...so be it LOL

Well I also try to plan my excurisons in a similar fashion depending on the port of course. I like to get my adventure related stuff done early and then get lunch at the ship if possible and then just hand out, shop and have a few drinks right up until the ship leaves. Of course the amount of shopping I do depends on the port but lately my favorite is St. Maarten for the items I look for.

Now in Hawaii I through all that out and it was all out the window, go non-stop all day and see as much as possible. Oh I want to go back soon to do more things.

things on my own too.

Which Carnival cruise are you going on? I have a good friend

sailing to Hawaii next Sunday...are you on the Spirit? He is always

friendly and I bet if you talked to him he would enjoy the company

on an excursion too...he also sails solo:)

Hi Lois!

That friend would be me!:D Thanks for the happy Easter phone call this past weekend. You know I always enjoy talking up a storm with you.;)

I know that Lois has the reputation of being a "celebrity" here on the message boards, but she really is just a down to earth sweet lady. I met Lois on a Celebrity Summit cruise two years ago, and we have been friends since. If you ever get the chance to cruise with her, go for it. You'll see just how friendly and outgoing she really is.

Tony.

Hi Tony, boy you are up early...oh thats right...the cows never sleep;)

Thanks for the kind words and I could say the same for you:D

One day we need to cruise together again....I know you are

one of my bestest friends now:)

Tell Evo hello! And have fun on the Spirit~Elle, I know Tony well

enough he would be more than happy to share an excursion with

you..or car or whatever was planned.

I am actually doing a couple of excersions with Tony. Paul, you and I have a trip plannedFreedom) and Lois it probably is just a matter of time till our paths cross. I guess I just want to make sure I see all that Hawaii has to offer.

This was not a planned trip so really digging deep into my pockets to do this one.I am very excited but it being m first solo and not having planned the excersions in advance the way I usually do, abit nervous but know I will be fine. Everyone on these boards are so helpful and I am open to meeting new people and having new experiences.

I have never gotten on an airplane, gone thousands of miles and have had no one meet me.One of my friends has a sister at a conference in San Diego that weekend so may give her a call. What are the chances of that?

I'm so glad that you are going into uncharted territory as far as the flight is concerned. You will come back from this trip feeling like a traveller for sure.

One of these days I too hope to meet Lois on a ship. She's been so very kind about fashion tips etc on another board. We may even get to share some time watching the fashion faux pas pass by LOL.

It's great when you can actually communicate with folks before the cruise which is one of the reasons I'm so fond of the Roll Call boards. Maybe all of us solos should plan a cruise together once so we can talk in person.

Hi there:) I am going on a 10 nighter in March for my

50th birthday........why don't you think about that one?

It is on Galaxy out of San Juan. Going solo as usual:D

Oh, thanks for the kind words too:)

My chant for the day GET OF THESE BOARDS AND DO SOME WORK. But then the voice in my head takes over, oh my gosh I have never ever once checked out the cruise wear board. What am I missing what if I have been dressing all wrong and everyone has been to polite. Also in Canada they don't sell Downey Wrinkle release, I have always thought the wrinkles were the way to identify us Canadians.

K going to scoot over to cruise wear but only for 10 minutes as I HAVE TO DO WORK.

K going to scoot over to cruise wear but only for 10 minutes as I HAVE TO DO WORK.

Ellie:

Your post went up at 12 PM sharp. It is now 12:14 PM and I see your little green light is still on. So, just for the record, you are at least 4 minutes past your 10-minute deadline! :rolleyes: Lucky for you I am not gonna tell your boss...

Paul

Ellie:

Your post went up at 12 PM sharp. It is now 12:14 PM and I see your little green light is still on. So, just for the record, you are at least 4 minutes past your 10-minute deadline! :rolleyes: Lucky for you I am not gonna tell your boss...

Paul

Paul, be nice:D those fashion boards are fun;)

Paul, be nice:D those fashion boards are fun;)

Lois: What can I say? I guess I am a typical man after all... standing around tapping my foot and staring at my watch while you ladies are checking out the latest fashions. Sorry, I am what I am! :rolleyes:

Paul

P.S. Speaking of which, Ellie, it is now 12:24 PM and your light is STILL on! :D

Ellie you really should check out the fashion boards here on CC. We are always kind (ok we are mostly always kind lol) and you really can get some great ideas about cruise wear.

Paul, it's ok. You don't have to keep up with whether cropped or capri pants are in style and which shoes go with which jewelry. Just keep on bringing the humor to solos.

Paul, it's ok. You don't have to keep up with whether cropped or capri pants are in style and which shoes go with which jewelry.

Whew! Thank goodness for small favors, Sandy! I never even heard of cropped or capri pants, let alone having any clue as to which one is "in." The only thing I know about fashion is that bunny slippers and men's thongs never go out of style, which is why I try not to pack too much more than those two items for a cruise.

Ooops, it seems I may have taken this thread a bit off topic. So let's see, how can I relate it to solo shore excursions? Oh, I know! Does anyone know which color of bunny slippers looks best on a solo shore excursion?

Paul

Whew! Thank goodness for small favors, Sandy! I never even heard of cropped or capri pants, let alone having any clue as to which one is "in." The only thing I know about fashion is that bunny slippers and men's thongs never go out of style, which is why I try not to pack too much more than those two items for a cruise.

Ooops, it seems I may have taken this thread a bit off topic. So let's see, how can I relate it to solo shore excursions? Oh, I know! Does anyone know which color of bunny slippers looks best on a solo shore excursion?

Paul

Paul..slippers would be fine out on deck if you were sailing

to Alaska:D :)

I'm checking Paul's countdown clocks and going on one of his future cruises. What a riot !! Bunny slippers and thongs sounds like something you would find at Hefner's mansion and be right in style. Paul, are you (as I suspect) a fashion guru?

Lois I agree the slippers would be fine for Alaska but the thong may be a little chilly :D

Archived